Why does just about every OEM glop on too much thermal paste on nearly all of their electronics?

Why does just about every OEM glop on too much thermal paste on nearly all of their electronics?

Attached: SwitchTeardown.png (1281x720, 1.11M)

that paste truly looks like a glob of toothpaste. wth paste is that shit.

because it's better than too little and people who aren't idiots and could learn the proper amount to use aren't working in chinese factories for pennies.

it makes no diffeence in the amounts. gamers nexus did extensive teting on this

You literally put a drop over it. That actually saves time and money. Hell, you could even just use a solid thermal compound I've seen used and that would be better than this shit job

what are the profit margins on the switch ? nintendie is usually pretty good at that

Because it works and is good enough.

In the case of the switch i'd say about 0% of the people that own one are going to take it apart to clean it over the lifetime of the device. This "too much" amount of thermal paste isn't leaking onto any other components. What's the problem?

probably pretty slim considering the premium they charge for devices secondary to it.

no way, it was double the price of a shield for a while. unlike most consoles all switch parts are off the shelf, so easy to googlr the individual part cost

Well in that case you should have no issue calculating that yourself.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they earned 2/3 of the console price

yes, thats literally my point?

probably tiny on the actual console, exclusive games is where the money is made.

>still has a fan
I thought it received a node shrink. For it to still not be enough to passively cool it is annoying. Fans are not for handhelds.

At release it was estimated at $257 cost for the $299.99 console+joy cons, with the joy cons being $45 out of the $50 package.
However, the die shrink from the relatively esoteric 20nm node to the incredibly well matured 16nm node most likely helped a fair bit with the SoC costs and increased the profit margin (while also making the switch lite price possible)

15W peak with around 8W-9W in normal use going through a minor die shrink could potentially make it fanless, is the back of it metal though? If not, they can't do the tablet thing of turning the back into one giant heatsink, and even if they can they probably focus tested whether people preferred their hands getting warm or the noise of a fan, and the fan won out.
Or they didn't bother since they already have an incredibly good unit rate on the fans in some contract. Although the switch lite not using the standard switch battery for even more battery life, ease of logistics and economies of scale baffles me.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 151K)

Nvidia were desperate for people to take Tegras. Nintendo probably got a great deal.

Nintendo is money oriented, looking at their handheld revisions over the years shows this, so I imagine it was just the more profitable route. Battery is most likely due to space limitations, since it being more "portable" is the selling point for this product.

because to much paste is less bad than too little, and it will squish out anyway

the state of the art apple socs apparently cost less than 30 bucks to make so the tegra is most probably not at least above that

that estimation seems bs though when you look at the specs and also look at 200 bucks chinkphones (which can't be sold at cost since they're not making tons of money back from shit like 60 dollar games)

The estimation is 2.5 years old.

yeah but I figured the same when I saw that estimation when they released it, even back then the shield TV was cheaper while also having the same thing where it had to be profitable on its own

Well Nintendo profits from both consoles and games, they never do the thing where they expect games to make up for consoles, except for the Wii U.
The switch still costs more to make anyway, more parts and all.

in the shitch its because the metal doesn't actually touch the heatsink. Also if you want better thermals in your switch remove the copper sheet from under the heatsink so the die is directly touching it. switch has bad thermals caused by have two layers of thermal paste with a thin piece of copper between the heatsink and processor. Fan will barely run after removing it

Attached: 73283921_p0.png (1100x2050, 636K)

yeah but I'm just saying I'm not buying that cost analysis, shit seems like a cheap tablet with a cheap display and an old tegra

Active heat dissipation will always be better than passive

Chink phones make money back from ads and your personal information

how much is one users data worth per phone?

Enough to make a profit. These companies are also getting money from the chinese government and Xiaomi at least is pushing their own cloud services hard

yeah well I assume nintendo has way higher margins both on the device and bigger revenue from the games they sell
look at that 60 dollar link's awakening remake

solid thermal interfacing material for a portable electronic device has different requirements for the thermal paste you use to connect a CPUs IHS to a beefy heatsink for a 100w cpu.

the total TDP of the switch is 15w, 60w docked. the switch is truly not going to reach the thermal ceiling for its cooling solution. it probably runs really hot when docked, judging by the looks of it, but they clearly designed the heat pipe assembly for durability rather than lowering that thermal envelope

when you're talking about a desktop CPU, delidding it with liquid metal can take off a good 5-10 degrees because the interfacing material is not good, but you are only really going to need that extra bit of thermal headroom if you are doing extreme overclocking. for most people its not necessary. the same logic applies to the globbed on thermal paste of the switch. better application would help the thermal envelope but nobody is hitting the higher end of it so it doesn't pragmatically matter

>how much is one users data worth per phone?
you are thinking about this top down, you need to think about this bottom up. they aren't spying on you individually, they are spying on everyone using their phones. your data by itself isn't all that valuable, but your data alongside everyone else's data, comparing the differences between your usage and their usage, actually is EXCEPTIONALLY valuable. that's what the entire modern economy revolves around

they know you're just a NEET with a phone. they don't care. but they care how NEETs use phones, what apps they use, how often they use them, what they like, what they spend money on, and how that compares to all the other NEETs

yeah well doing simple math you should be able to figure out how much you're going to profit from that one phone taking into account the data you get from it

Well if you remove the joycons from the estimate it drops to $167 being the estimated cost of the actual switch.

yeah, do you have any models for pricing structure or some kind of algorithmic aproximation that i can use to give you a number? they don't exactly print invoices for this kind of stuff, dude

I'm just wondering what sort of money do they make form a 200 dollar phone if it's coming from data instead of making money from the device itself, what are their margins

you are thinking about this the wrong way. they aren't accounting for a tangible number. they aren't accounting at all. this is why the economy is fucking nonsensical. they are hedging their bets on the future value of that information and hoarding it, and then selling it to people based on the potential value of the bundled information to other groups of people. its digital information, they can bundle and sell it to as many people as they want. there is no limit on how much you can sell a piece of information and no limit on how much information you can collect

they aren't collecting your data piecemeal and attaching a price tag to individual bits of information, they are collecting as much shit as they possibly can, bundling it in a manner that would make advertisers and researchers want to give them money for it, and selling it to as many people as possible. they don't lose anything so its basically just free money on their part

It did. Iirc it draws around 6-7W on hand held mode during gaming but when you dock it it boosts performance and increases power target. Dont remember how much but that's why, for docked mode

OP's pic is the Switch Lite, it doesn't dock.