Best Normie/Beginner distro

Discuss.

Attached: 1568746416241.jpg (1240x406, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/boot_options.html
strawpoll.me/18675330
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tie between Linux Mint and Ubuntu (MATE). Manjaro is good, but LM/Ubuntu are more user-friendly and have tons of threads on the Ubuntu forums if you run into any problems.

Manjaro is ideal for intermediate and above if you want to use Arch but value your time.

Ubuntu, because it's easier to update to another version of the system.

What are the differences between Mint and Ubuntu anyway? Let's say I use the same DE on both, whats different?

Android

The current state of ubuntu is not for beginners. Mint is better.

Manjaro(kde) is more Windows like.
Uses a stable aur and you can install everything with octopi or pamac.
It doesn't uses PPAs.
the arch wiki is useful.
And has different DEs.

Pretty much nothing iirc.

Default programs.

>The current state of ubuntu is not for beginners. Mint is better.
elaborate

Cinnamon is much better than Gnome, and windows like. Easier to understand the settings menu.
Hardware Detection is better in mint.

you can hop around distros, but if you want something that just works and where you can be productive you will end up with Ubuntu anyways.

I'd go with CentOS, no bullshit

Solus

mint has more bloat

KDE Neon

Manjaro has been the most functional to me
Ubuntu was pretty stable but the package manager kills it, I always get that "you have held broken packages" bullshit eventually
Linux Mint is a worse experience than Ubuntu

That's what Ubuntu Mate is for you fucking idiot.

There is no reason for a beginner to use that over Kubuntu.

How good is Ubuntu on ARM microprocessors?
I'm thinking of throwing my computer off a cliff and just using Samsung Dex forever.

redpill me on Solus

Pop os

>Uses a stable aur
What

It uses a tested version of the AUR

Sure...

The only distro I've seen that works nearly flawless out of the box for me is Ubuntu MATE. I tried a lot of shit (regarding beginner distros). Every flavor out there for Ubuntu, Manjaro with 4 different DEs, Fedora, OpenSUSE, KDE Neon. Nothing really compares. In the past (as in over 4 years ago) it used to be Xubuntu, but these days I would be more inclined to go for Ubuntu MATE if I wanted no headaches.

heh, for me Ubuntu MATE is the only one that doesn't work out of the box
wifi keeps dropping and the ethernet simply doesn't want to work until I fuck with the drivers
every other *buntu works flawlessly, no idea why

There is no such thing as a "tested" AUR.

What you seem to be confusing it with are the Arch repos, which Manjaro copies and makes changes to as needed, and holds packages back from days to a week in the name of "testing".

Imagine using Samshit.
No, you can't run a desktop OS on a mobile phone, and even if you could no programs would run anyways.

Mint is shit why the fuck does my wifi keep dropping to the router? But when I connect to my phones hotspot it works fine. What the fuck

>tested version of the AUR
lmao what

Mint is basically a better and easier Ubuntu.
Manjaro is basically an Arch based Mint.

If you want Xfce, Cinnamon, Mate - use Mint
If you want KDE - use KDE Neon or Kubuntu
If you want GNOME - use PopOS
If you want LXDE, LXQt - you don't. Use Xfce or KDE.

It's much more user friendly and unified. Compared to Xubuntu:
Mint has included the latest window manager by default, thus getting rid of screen tearing on Xfce a couple of years ago. Xubuntu LTS still hasn't fixed this and won't fix it until they include xfwm4.14 next year. Also, Mint includes several other wm and compositor combinations if you still have tearing.
The default UI and theming is much better.
Super key (windows key) opens the app menu instead of doing nothing.
Includes Timeshift for backups, Redshift for blue light filtering, Mintstick for making bootable USBs.
Has better default software (Xed is better than Mousepad, and whatever Image viewer they have is better than the Xfce one).
Mint update manager is better and has the option to update the kernel.
I can't speak for Cinnamon and MATE, but Mint Xfce is years ahead of Xubuntu.

Bruh
>archwiki

>Manjaro(kde) is more Windows like.
>Uses a stable aur
Fucking idiot

Mint is best as the bloat they add to ubuntu is not actually bloat to noobs since it's all useful. It's by far the best at "just werks!"

Ubuntu is fine.

Manjaro fucking blows and is run by mouth breathing idiots. Tech illiterate noobs should NOT be using the AUR at all. If you can't read a fucking PKGBUILD then you shouldn't be using it. Pamac breaks shit because Arch doesn't support partial upgrades. Manjaro's extra delay from Arch does basically nothing except cause other shit to break because they hold back fixes. Manjaro isn't even good for noobs because it tends to crash the DE during the first update and force the noob to figure out tty just to recover from updating the system.

Arch is for enthusiasts who like to deal with the details of their system and that's a good thing.

You almost sold me on Mint. Just one thing: I hate XFCE, Cinnamon and Mate. I like Budgie the most. Can I get Mint + Budgie without a hassle?

Also, you dont recommend Manjaro?

Hijacking the thread to ask some newbie questions.
I'm a tech brainlet and I've decided to switch to Linux, and still don't know what distro to use. Honestly, I'm mainly concerned with how my desktop is going to look. I'd like something that doesn't resemble Windows. Can I achieve pic related (stolen from some user) with Mint XFCE? Mint also seems like the easiest distro to install and use for someone like me.

Attached: roVc.png (1280x1024, 1.23M)

>Honestly, I'm mainly concerned with how my desktop is going to look.

oh no

>Can I achieve pic related (stolen from some user) with Mint XFCE? Mint also seems like the easiest distro to install and use for someone like me.

If you don't know what a tiling WM is and want to use one because you saw a screenshot on Jow Forums then you are about to get fucking rekt.

If you want something that just "doesn't look like windows" then just use Ubuntu.

You can get it to look pretty much like pic related of me replying to you.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-21 11-45-43.png (1920x1080, 1.44M)

>If you don't know what a tiling WM is and want to use one because you saw a screenshot on Jow Forums then you are about to get fucking rekt.
After searching a bit, they are definitely more complicated than I expected.

I guess I'll just go with Ubuntu and customize it as I learn more. Thanks for the help, user.

Attached: 1504737443800.jpg (301x440, 12K)

Noob here
I decided to switch to Linux as well but I am not sure which distro to use, I am on a Thinkpad t430.
I want to learn but I still want a secure system without doing anything as I have no real experience I don't want to expose myself to any risk, mostly afraid of my gouvernement (Muslim country ).

I used Lubuntu a few years ago on a PC from 2005 and i remember having ram issues because of systemd journals ?
I am currently on Windows 7 with only the security patches and simplewall as a firewall (to stop things like f.lux to do whatever it does with an internet connection)
Is there something similar on Gnu/Linux?

Basically recommand me a distro not too bloated , that respects my privacy and can be used with ease without doing any fatal error while learning to use it .

Attached: 1568225873650.gif (500x300, 953K)

Manjaro is fine.
You can install Budgie just like you would on any distro. Then just log out of your current DE, log into a budgie session and you're done.

Manjaro is a fucking joke so that's out
Mint is just a shitty fucked up *buntu
The default sucks because of GNOME, Lubuntu or Kubuntu should be okay.

>I decided to switch to Linux as well but I am not sure which distro to use, I am on a Thinkpad t430.
I use Mint on my Thinkpad. Mint respects your privacy fine but might not help with government issues. Not sure what distro would specifically help with government stuff as that's more an issue with encryption and browsing.

wha about Xubuntu?

>Manjaro is a fucking joke so that's out
Correct.
>Mint is just a shitty fucked up *buntu
Incorrect see: for a good summary.

>Not sure what distro would specifically help with government stuff
If he is really paranoic about that, he can just use Tails anyways.

>muslim country
If your government is kind of a dictatorship, or have laws to control freedom of speech, use Tails. Edward Snowden used to leak NSA documents and recommends to this day.

Manjaro but actually good. Stable rolling release; easy package manager; Budgie is basically GNOME done right. It's the best "everything just werks" distro imo.

The catch: no AUR. But I wonder how many noobs use it anyway

>Mint update manager is better and has the option to update the kernel.
Thats because Mint, when you first install, uses a really outdated kernel. Ubuntu uses an up to date one

any tips to get rid of screen tearing on lubuntu? i have it really bad when i use the internet and am scrolling pages

thanks user

Bruh
>my time.

>want to use Arch but value your time
I want mangingo zoomzooms to fuck off and stop thinking their jungle OS is arch but "simpler".
Get vim, get a small packageset you audit, stop being a fucking gaming leet homo who "values his time" while spending 8 hours in a software toy and you may be able to actually user and maintain a real Arch install.

Mint has better default software choice. And IIRC Xubuntu consumes more memory than Mint Xfce for some reason.

>Thats because Mint, when you first install, uses a really outdated kernel. Ubuntu uses an up to date one
1. Mint is based on Ubuntu LTS so you are sort of being purposely stupid here by comparing newer Ubuntu kernel releases to LTS kernel and pointing out that LTS is older which... should be obvious from the name as it is "Long Term Support." There's very little need to have the newest kernel if the LTS works well with your hardware.
2. Current kernel version has nothing to do with the update manager providing support for switching kernels. Ubuntu could also add this same feature while using a newer kernel.

I want to use Linux Mint but it wont even boot up. I put in the USB and select to run Linux Mint, but its just a black screen and Im forced to do a hard shut down. Does this mean my hardware/drivers are just too out of date to use Mint? Ubuntu stuff works on the other hand

>Manjaro is ideal for intermediate and above if you want to use Arch but value your time.
Manjaro wastes more time by breaking shit and then telling users to turn back their system clocks because the team is too stupid to fix a simple issue.

If Ubuntu (LTS) works then Mint should work too. What GPU do you have?

Even if that where true, Mint still feels smoother and lighter to run

*tips fedora*

Attached: 1551959261295.png (2400x2400, 145K)

Mint is easily the best choice.

Nvidia graphics?
It's possible that the fact that Mint uses the Ubuntu LTS instead of the current version as mentioned here: In that case, it's that you just need the newer kernel for your hardware.

my laptop has two GPUs
integrated: AMD ATI Radeon Vega Series
dedicated: AMD ATI Radeon RX 460/560D

Not really sure but it seems like Mint doesnt want to start up

Why would anyone need to use GNU/Linux when Windows 10 exists?

I'm not familiar with that specific hardware but it's possible that it is technically starting but the display is crashing. Try nomodeset linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/boot_options.html

Or just use Ubuntu which is also fine.

Windows 10 doesn't have programs I need for my job (scientist). Loonix does because devs use it and don't bother releasing Windows versions.

Mint should work with RX 460. Don't know what the issue might be then.

Privacy, security, ease of use, DRM-free.

Would you recommend Mint mate for a new user ? Going to build my full AMD case soon and was wondering which distro to go for

Maybe its choosing to use my integrated GPU and not the 460. Do you think I should try to change the GPU in BIOS? Do they usually give that option?

It should always default to the dedicated GPU, assuming you connect a display output on it.

>Manjaro is ideal for intermediate and above if you want to use Arch but value your time.
This. I can totally relate. It just works, but you can play with it and it's much more than Ubuntu or mint. Also, aur with yay it's awesome.

Pic is how I feel using manjaro.

Attached: 1339550542700.jpg (750x562, 74K)

>but you can play with it and it's much more than Ubuntu or mint
what do you mean ?

I think its the other way around. Laptops with two GPUs default to the weaker one and then only use the dedicated when using a program that demands it

Didn't know that. On desktop it always uses the dedicated GPU.
But it wouldn't explain why Mint refuses to display anything while Ubuntu does. Mint is based on Ubuntu LTS and uses the same kernel version by default, therefore identical AMD and Intel drivers.

Im the guy with the isuse, and when I tried Ubuntu I try the 19.04 Disco Dingo releases. So maybe if Mint is based off of 18.04 that might be why its not working. Is it possible to install mint with the new kernel already on it?

excuse me but what the fuck is a window manager?

pretty sure its basically like a desktop environment, but just for how the windows look and how they are displayed. so you can have a unique WM in a DE

is a compositor just a fancy word for window manager or something more involved?

"Fun", sorry I skip it.

Yeah Mint is based on 18.
>Is it possible to install mint with the new kernel already on it?
Doubt it unless you build your own distro. There's a Mint based distro that's rolling release, but I'm pretty sure it also ships with an older kernel. Try the nomodeset workaround which the other user linked. Or just use Ubuntu or Manjaro.

No, a desktop environment is a set of desktop tools, including a window manager. A window manager is a piece of software which allows a GUI to be displayed and windows to be managed, as the name suggests.

A compositor is a separate part which allow window decorations and vsync.

I am using manjaro with i3. It just works so cool with me.

That's the winner for prettiest distro

Ubuntu MATE is the best distro for new, intermediate, and advanced users. Mint is good if you want Cinnamon. Manjaro is good if you want your system to break in new and interesting ways every time you type pacman -syu

thanks for the responses anons. i somewhat get the general idea now and feel marginally less retarded

what if I want Mint MATE ?

No USB3 support on setup STILL HAHAHA

>Manjaro is good if you want your system to break in new and interesting ways every time you type pacman -syu
Does this really happen? I only hear people say Manjaro is stable as fuck.

>what if I want Mint MATE ?
Why would you want it? Mint used to be useful because they preinstalled some codecs, but now it's a checkbox during the Ubuntu install. Besides a theme, which you could install on any distro, I'm not sure what Mint provides. Besides Cinnamon, if you want that by all means use Mint. But the Xfce and MATE versions seem like solutions for already solved problems.

Manjaro KDE broke on me the very first time I updated, even before I installed any packages or thought about using the AUR. Desktop fonts suddenly became all distorted. Never had this kind of thing happen on any other distro.

guixsd, crux and gentoo hardened, linux from scratch

nice meme. very original and creative. "look at my post guys, haha, I'm one of you now right haha?"
Fuck off.

its not hard retard, you need only read documentation.

I never said it was but those are clearly not beginner distros you autistic cunt.

Currently using Manjaro and BSPWM, working great. Nothing has broken in the 12+ months that I have had it installed and it's very comfy. People who screech about Manjaro are just Arch elitists.

DOES IT BREAK NOW OR NOT AAAARGH

>Why would you want it?
see

False. It uses the same shit as Ubuntu LTS, which is the default and most used version. You have to manually figure out what non-LTS is and download it. Any noob will just use LTS automatically.

Is Solus good?

strawpoll.me/18675330

stop wasting your time and use windows

Attached: true_hackerz.png (821x617, 13K)

the best looking gnome 3 i have ever seen

Any variant of Ubuntu

templeos or plan9 if luv unix