Is OLED a meme technology?

Is OLED a meme technology?
I found a LG 55" B8 OLED TV nearby for cheap, and was thinking of picking it up.
Is it much worse than the C8, that it's worth paying 300 extra for that?

Attached: 81TAB6aIK7L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1411, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled
nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/lg-gsync-compatible-hdmi-big-screen-gaming/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you're gonna go oled you might as well go high end as possible and get the LG C9 variant.

The new series is just much more than I'd pay for a TV

You're not just paying for a TV though. OLED is nowhere near a "meme" and while it does have burn in issues, it usually takes years for you to even slightly notice it due to modern mitigations against that implemented in todays panels. The reason you'd be better off going with a C9 is because it supports 120Hz 4K through HDMI 2.1 which would future proof you for a really really long time as more 4K content rolls out.

It not only acts as a TV but as the most high end gaming monitor available with near 1-2ms of real world response times suitable for 120Hz and color reproduction so accurate you could use this to color grade film. With an HTPC hooked up to it you can use to frame interpolate 4K content through SVP to get the most out of 4K content possible. You can also use it for 4K 100+ fps gaming when that becomes affordable too.

rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled

HOWEVER if you don't give a shit about any of that then you're going overkill for a TV and a $200 wallmart 4K TCL trash heap is probably more than enough.

So if I don't want to pay big bucks for the newest tech, and don't want to risk burn in, I should go for a QLED instead, maybe?

Sony and Panasonic both have better image quality if you’re willing to pay more.

Sony LEDs are better than QLED if you absolutely positively need to have static elements on screen.

I mostly play games on my TV, so it’ll have HUDs consistently on + my TV table is right next to a big window that has sun going through most of the day

>even suggesting using an OLED as a monitor
Never go full retard. Enjoy your pixel degradation and burn-in.

They’re decently resilient to HUDs but direct sunlight does damage OLED. Sorry for your loss.

Future proofing OLED, what an amazing advice.

How much light would damage an oled

>HUDs consistently on
>sun going through
QLED for you then

>Buying a TV in 2010+9
Why?

They make monitors look like the gutter trash they are. Hell even "nano ips" is just LG's low end tv tech. OLED is their premium stuff.

>future proof
>tv
There's no such thing since they depreciate at 30-40% a year

>Attaching a financial value to 'future proof'
pleb

How the fuck do I decide on a TV? As a European, all buying guides are useless because half the stuff doesn't exist here and budget brands like Vizio aren't available in EU at all.

I just want the best 55" TV for varied use at 800e max.

Qled is just a marketing term from shamesung

OLED is by far the best display technology out there and you'd need to be retarded to manage to get burn-in with one. I've had an OLED TV since 2017 and an OLED phone since mid-2018 and neither has a hint of burn-in. The B8 is slightly dimmer than the C8, but it's still an excellent TV.

"QLED" is nothing more than a Samshit marketing term. It's not a display technology. They're standard LCDs with VA panels.

>LG C9
still trash, only supports VRR on HDMI 2.1

>financial
It means you can get the same specs the following year for half the price. Futureproofing by overpaying now is retarded because you can just buy another one that's better 2 years later and you would've spent less with the 2 TVs than buying that expensive one

That is true of any technology. Just buy what you can afford now and not worry about what is around the corner or you will never get to enjoy anything.

It's really not LGs fault GPU makers haven't bothered to keep up. Neither AMDs new cards or Nvidia super refresh have it and they bloody well should

will Intel save us from this shitty duopoly?

They've been working on discrete graphics for years and haven't come up with anything bar the integrated stuff. Larrabee was cancelled and the current one has been "coming soon" for about 3 years

Jesus you're a retard. The Q stands for a photo-emissive quantum dot filter that goes right over the LED backlights to improve emission, which allows for a wider color gamut and better brightness. It's a concrete technology

That's wrong. You can use it with Turing GPUs over their HDMI 2.0b output. VRR is a backwards implementable feature so it works as long as the GPU supports it

>You can use it with Turing GPUs over their HDMI 2.0b output.
bost broofs.jpg

nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/lg-gsync-compatible-hdmi-big-screen-gaming/

Drivers later this year

nice, finally, thanks for this good news. But I won't buy an RTX just for this, I just upgraded to 1080Ti last year.

How bad will indirect sunlight damage an OLED TV?
I'd probably get pretty peeved if I had to constantly cover up my TV when I pull the blinds and leave for work in the morning

Attached: 1491597032224.png (148x278, 68K)

I think direct sunlight might cause degredation. I have not seen anything about thsi issue though until mentioned here.

your viewing experience is not primarily about the technology...

its about:

1. who you watch the content with
2. quality of the content
3. whether you like the content
like ~10. "image" quality

If it's cheap just use it until it's unusable anymore. Burn-in isn't really that noticeable anyway.

OLED definitely isn't a meme. is largely correct about the benefits of OLED. They are the best TVs out there by far, and the burn-in issue is wildly overblown, especially on newer sets.

The thing you would want to watch out for is if that cheap B8 was a floor display model, because I would skip that. If it's new and the price is good, then go for it. Keep in mind that you will likely be able to get a C9 for pretty cheap around Black Friday. I definitely wouldn't pay more than $1400 for a 55" B8 these days.

The B8 is about 886 dollars (I'm not in the US, so I had to convert)

Get it and ride it's ass until it's grass. For that cheap you don't even have to bother babying it.

After you've seen say something like Mindhunters on OLED, LED feels pure garbage.

>Is OLED a meme technology?
it's just another flavor of LCD
manufacturers love it because it's cheaper to manufacture, and because of the degradation which means you're going to have to be a more frequent buyer

The B8 is excellent. The best all-rounder on the market apart from the C9 which is double the price.