ARM is obsolete. No more license and royalties

ARM is obsolete. No more license and royalties.

RISC-V is getting a lot of attention lately and we have boards other than fpga.
sifive.com/boards

Do you think it will replace ARM anytime soon?

Attached: 1920px-RISC-V-logo.svg.png (1920x362, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

riscv.org/software-status/
youtube.com/watch?v=67KW4t42SZk
seeedstudio.com/Sipeed-Longan-Nano-RISC-V-GD32VF103CBT6-Development-Board-p-4205.html
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFls3Q5bBInj_FfNLrV7gGdVtikeGoUc9
cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spr08/cos217/reading/ProgrammingGroundUp-1-0-lettersize.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No

>soon
"Soon" is relative. I'm expecting the adoption of RISC-V to spread pretty quickly once it starts. But I also think we're still at least another few years away from seeing a ecosystem around RISC-V that's anything like what exists for ARM today.
That said I'm still new to all this stuff, so who knows.

riscv.org/software-status/

gcc, clang, linux, qemu and so on. all we need is more boards.
Idk why nobody ported AOSP

Mill when?

Reminder that Nim can target riscv64 :)

The entire Debian system is pretty much all ported.

Jow Forumsuys, watch this video
youtube.com/watch?v=67KW4t42SZk

seeedstudio.com/Sipeed-Longan-Nano-RISC-V-GD32VF103CBT6-Development-Board-p-4205.html

It's cheap to license and the price performance of risc v isn't there quite yet.

ARM scene is also quite competitive. shift from ARM to RISC-V isn't really an edge of any kind there.

Take your retarded numale boards and fuck off.
Shitty non-upgadeable, non-serviceable 5x10cm meme boards will never replace anything, other than the bimetal in a toaster and maybe other söymachines like "smart"phones, "smart"homes etc.

Until they start manufacturing "normal sized" desktop and laptop motherboards (and also of course mobos for servers of all sized) where you can replace/upgrade parts and install extensions like you can with an x86 motherboard, RISC-V stay and stupid meme.
x86 grew big because its upgradeable, customizable, boots from numerous diverse methods from chip and sold at every price range.

>choosing not to be part of the revolution
I feel bad for you, son.

Probably the dumbest consumerism hype video i've ever seen. Voiced by a bong no doubt.

RISC-V core with better perf than Cortex A53 when? Its nowhere in sight.

I'm sure we'll start seeing cheap (

>ARM is obsolete
Im renting an ARM VPS for storage and it works fine and it's cheap :^)

>Built on a 28nm process
L O L

yes, risc-v will replace x86 and arm for good. get ready.

No, but you can bet on the communists adopting it (since the trade war isn't going to stop anytime soon).

>risc-v meme
Nobody gives a shit about the ISA and the license and royalties are peanuts for any company that can actually fab out performant implementations.

so what's the hype about these? I can get an evaluation board and implement my own instructions similar to how I might implement something on an FPGA? Or that I can go to a chip fab with an order of about 10000 with custom instructions and get it done cheap?

cheap riscv sbcs when?

no one is going to use risc-v.

>Desktop sales declining YoY
>you're never gonna make it if you don't get in on this declining market segment
go to bed grandpa

next year, people underestimate the amount of momentum RISC-V has right now

I would not be surprised if RISC-V would be everywhere in the next 10 years.

Attached: 1567971485101.png (225x225, 57K)

>RISC-V PCs "Still a Distant Dream," Says Increasingly Nervous Intel Employee

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFls3Q5bBInj_FfNLrV7gGdVtikeGoUc9

if i didnt have any relevant experience and i wanted to start working with risc v and assembly and stuff where would i start ?

just learn to solder instead of being stuck in the past

QEMU and the gcc toolchain, both of which support RISC-V right now. No need to buy (currently rare and expensive) hardware out of the gate.

when i say no relevant experience i mean 0 things: dont know c, dont know coding.

>dont know c, dont know coding
Well that sounds like where you should start then.
If low-level stuff like assembly sounds interesting to you, you might begin with this book---I haven't read it myself but everyone says it's good:
cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spr08/cos217/reading/ProgrammingGroundUp-1-0-lettersize.pdf

i actually do have some experience in java, frontend stack, some databases and blockchain related stuff, but lately risc v and assembly and generally low level things have been interesting to me so i thought of doing that a bit for fun

thanks for the book

Best of luck. Understanding even a little about computer architecture will make you a better programmer.

it's kinda meh

it's almost sad really. another death for the british technology sector.

it's japanese now though.

presumably it still employs some british people