/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming build skeletons and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric games or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - budget performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1366049107494.jpg (1632x1224, 343K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/HGt6Mc
es.pcpartpicker.com/list/XMPhPn
pcmag.com/news/370880/trump-lifts-tariffs-on-certain-pc-computer-parts
es.pcpartpicker.com/list/GhmBDx
overclock3d.net/reviews/software/battlefield_v_pc_performance_review/12
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Will one of you fuckers tell me if everything will fit in this case

pcpartpicker.com/list/HGt6Mc

>wait for 3950x
>wait for small navi
>wait for 1660 super
>wait for incel 10th gen
>wait for big navi
>wait for 2080 ti super
>wait for threadripper
>wait for 1080p 240hz ips
>wait for good pcie4 ssds
>wait for incel gpus
>wait for nvidia 3000
>wait for rdna2
>wait for 1440p 240hz ips4
>wait for pico navi
>wait for ddr5
>wait for zen 3
>wait for dedicated rtx aic
>wait for 14nm+++++++++++
>wait for enormous navi
>wait for usb 4
>wait for pcie5
>wait for mainstream 3d xpoint
>wait for windows core OS
>wait for zen 4
>wait for good cases

Attached: FUUUUUUUUUCK.jpg (1064x962, 155K)

es.pcpartpicker.com/list/XMPhPn

Usage:
>Developing small personal projects with docker, IDEs and CI/CD tools.
>Gaming, mostly singleplayer games like Hitman, and MHW. I usually don't stream and I don't do any kind of video editing. I don't know about how well emulators handle AMD CPUs.
>I have 1080p dual monitors but I plan to replace them for 1440p ones soon.

Notes:
>I'm not sure if the 3900X is worth the 200€ price difference.
>Will 5400 rpm HDDs do well for my pictures, music and video? I have a separate SSD for games and project files.
>My case is a H700 but I don't know if I should change to another one with better airflow.
>Is 32 GB of RAM really overkill for today's developing standards? Should I get 3200/14 RAM instead of 3600/18?

>Get a better SSD.
You mean the Crucial?

I want to build a small energy efficient pc that can be used for office work and watching TV up to 4k for a family member. What would be the best cpu for me to use?

zen 2 3600, but depends on budget really

Meshify C or NZXT H510?

Should I choose purely by aesthetic preference?

Attached: 1438052075927.jpg (290x289, 15K)

>I'm not sure if the 3900X is worth the 200€ price difference
Check how well your compiler scales with cores I guess?
>Will 5400 rpm HDDs do well for my pictures, music and video? I have a separate SSD for games and project files.
Absolutely yes, 100%
>Is 32 GB of RAM really overkill for today's developing standards? Should I get 3200/14 RAM instead of 3600/18?
It's not for other things... Depend on what you're making but if you're multitasking 32gb is good. I'd get 3200/14 for compabilty and price.

Athlon 200GE

depends on your setup honestly. if you are midrange you can sacrifice some airflow for looks, and it's not that bad of an idea. I mean looks do matter, people who pretend looks don't matter don't get it. looks are the main aspect of purchasing decisions for cars for example, and almost all clothes are bought based on looks. people can argue about what looks good and if rgb is tacky, but...

anyways, you should really get a case that you actually like. I think the meshify looks kind of dumb, so do many airflow cases unfortunately. I would maybe try to find one that both looks good to you and has high airflow. something like the lian li dynamic sort of hits that mark for some people, but it does cost a hell of a lot more. it really doesn't matter that much honestly though. unless you have a hot pc or a hot room or other circumstances where it really comes into play.

it should fit. but holy shit bro, don't get that cooler. if you are going for an aio meme get at least a 240 rad. otherwise please just get an air cooler, don't waste your money.

those are meme ssds. cut the samsung, cut the mx500.

get a sabrent rocket or 660p

what the FUCK is the point of psu shrouds?

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""sleek""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Intel pentium or ryzen apu... Anything can do what you asked really since video is gpu accelerated. And it's all power efficient cause low end clocks. Tbh the biggest waste of energy will probably be that standard atx psus have crappy efficiency at very low loads. Tbh look into cheap prebuilts because they will be smaller and more efficient.

But if you do get something like a 3600 with a basic dGPU it'll last a lot longer, because it's closer to the sweet spot price.

This is my first build and I'm a bit confused how I'm supposed to be mounting this cooler. I tried the instructions but the diagrams were unhelpful and I'm not sure how to proceed. Parts are:
Ryzen AMD 3 CPU
msi B450 AMD Motherboard
Thermaltake H22 case (If it's necessary)

Attached: 1569077314083731948265.jpg (3264x2448, 2.53M)

Something between the 200GE and 3400G.
Celeron may be an option as well.

"aesthetics" back for when modular PSUs were more rare. To hide cables and hard drives.

But now desktops often don't even use 3.5" hard drives, and SSDs look fine, and cheap PSUs are modular so all they do now is ruin airflow and waste space.

that's fucking stupid, who thought that was a good idea?

when case companies realized that most people just buy whatever looks good

"Cable management"

Also can anyone recommend a good processor for hosting servers/ content and compiling when my laptop is too slow? Server program is single thread so preferably something good at that.

I got £200 ($250?) budget for the cpu

Better tell us the full budget since different Cpus need different mobos. But probably somthing like the 9600k.

Also what kind of "server program" is single thread?

What GPU do I get to get high or max settings for on my 144hz 2560 x 1440 monitor?

Attached: 1553698866768.webm (272x356, 68K)

You missed a spot.

2080ti
Would be less if you would use optimized settings that looked the same instead of being dumb

Attached: 465g6cky14c31.jpg (828x1199, 128K)

Nvlink 2080 Ti, not even kidding. I can max out some games on my 2080 ti ftw3 and still get an average of 144fps but if you're playing the latest western shit don't even think about it.

3080 ti

It came preapplied to the bottom of the cooler. The splotches are from me picking it up and trying to align the screws with some existing screwholes from the motherboard's mounting things.

just ordered this :3

Attached: 3091431-a.jpg (350x350, 23K)

Motherboard is the most confusing part to me as a techlet, what do I even look for other than matching cpu sockets?

Depends on games, check benchmarks. 2060 Super (all AAA competitive games, PUBG, BFV, Apex at 144FPS) or a better card if you're looking for that perf in heavy single player games
Adaptive sync monitor is more important than a better graphics card

it's a confusing mess and very hard to decide
what is your budget and socket

>what do I even look for as a techlet?
Reviews

so the asrock x570 boards got a bios update, i'm now seeing 4.3ghz+ peaks when building things

Attached: ryzen 3700-03.jpg (444x348, 32K)

AMD AM4 and my budget is pretty high but saving money where its possible is always nice.

>72849678
>The gouging has three root causes: lack of market competition, shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday, and the Trump tariffs on China significantly increasing cost of importing the device necessitating markups to preserve profit margins

>wake up
>nothing shipped
>nothing is arriving

Attached: 1561771928322.jpg (355x369, 83K)

Uh no. The 2060S gets 90fps in bfv @1440p.

I mentioned a 2060 Super, but a 5700/XT is also viable

gigabyte aurous master x570 is probably the best richfag motherboard with basically everything you could want without going too far

>2060 Super
>BFV
>144FPS
doubt

Then get b450 or x470 chipset. X570 ihas pcie4 but that does nothing at the moment and for the foreseeable future.

Nevermind, I managed to get it.

>orange man
pcmag.com/news/370880/trump-lifts-tariffs-on-certain-pc-computer-parts

>including graphics cards, motherboards, and desktop cases

there are screw mounts, align them accordingly.

Thanks

Is this bait?
2x 2080tis running under LN2 constantly.

Is it worth going to 1440p instead of getting a second 1080p monitor? Mostly use pc for cad stuff, but also do gaymin but not that often with demanding games. Waiting for cp2077 and vtmb 2 atm. Play wow classic and arpgs otherwise.
Have ryzen 3600 and vega 56

What I really wonder if is the 2060 Super guy is baiting.

Get a 1440p and keep the 1080.

why

i cant fit 3 fan cards because of the hdd bay in my case so no red devil and the msi cards have dodgy ram cooling.

>hdd bay

i got 3 hdds in my case

Attached: 76036176_p1.jpg (600x700, 204K)

most games don't scale well enough with nvlink, 2x 2080tis on ln2 is unironically not enough

pic related?

Thanks m8s, I changed my list to es.pcpartpicker.com/list/GhmBDx
I kept the 250GB Samsung Pro as I will just use it to house a linux distro for occasional use. Also I went for a Flare X 3200/14.

yes i need loli space

Attached: 46124042_p0.jpg (724x1024, 229K)

Is it possible to run them both at the same time, with the resolution differences?

>I kept the 250GB Samsung Pro as I will just use it to house a linux distro for occasional use
get a 250gb sabrent rocket

Uh.. how many fans do I get?

what case and what setup?
there's pretty big diminishing returns on additional fans, the best benefit of more fans is being able to run all fans at a lower rpm

Havent decided on a case but it has to fit an X570 motherboard.

Got any recommendations?

my standard recommendation is the coolermaster h500. great all around case, great airflow and temperatures, good features, 200meme fans. the h500m is also good.

How many fans for one of those then?
The white one looks pretty nice.

it comes with 2x 200meme fans for the front and 1x 120mm for the rear, you could upgrade them to better ones if you feel like it for temperatures and silence but you don't need to
you can get top fans but you also don't need those really

Thanks

>get a new gpu
>uninstall old drivers and put in new gpu
>ssd is no longer recognized as a boot device
What in the actual fuck?????

based

did you change which slot you put your gpu in? you have to be careful with your pci topology
is it a nvme ssd?

80% chance you nudged the SSD cable.

sounds like clearance blasting, did you change the efi?

No, it's sata far away from the gpu

I checked

I bet AMD is behind this, how the fuck is this even possible

but did you put the gpu in the same slot though
you know plugging into some pci slots will disable sata

make sure it's plugged into the pci slot closest to the cpu

whats some good cheap cpu cooling?

thermalright

Yeah same slot

Just rebooted for the Xth time and it just werks, what the fuck

maybe xmp related? sometimes weird boot cycling shit can happen because of that

what's a good sata expansion card? with at least 4 ports, preferably 6+

Give me the quick rundown on R3600x

He ask about high settings, but playing on medium (most people who care about framerate aka the shrouds of the world will be playing on low-ish settings) will meet you a 50% gain
overclock3d.net/reviews/software/battlefield_v_pc_performance_review/12
So a 2060 Super is viable for 144FPS as long as it's paired with an adaptive sync monitor

not worth it. 3600 for budget and best value, 3700x for all arounder. 3900/3950x for workstation or enthusiast. 9900k if trying to fpsmax at the expense of everything else.

True. But it's the best you can do.

>3950X
better off waiting for threadripper
>9900k best for games I swear!!!
except for games people actually play like CSGO and MHW. Stop spreading this psyops meme.

3600 + aftermarket cooler is better value
unless maybe you get a bin so bottom it's below the barrel

Not worth the premium over the non x

>ended up paying 700$ for an open box Vega Frontier Edition after waiting a month for them to place tariffs and VAT on the item which had already been delivered which originally costed only 450$ despite none of these import charges or VAT charges being listed on eBay or anywhere else for that matter
>could have gotten a Radeon VII for only 70$ more than that

Attached: stress relief.png (243x133, 81K)

Anyone got a H510? Is it quiet enough?

Yes. No problem but if the pixel dencity is different some things will be different sizes... But it doesn't bother most people

Yes. But that's not what he said. I already told him to give up on max settings.

Vengeance lpx, patriot viper, gskill ripjaws, or ballistix sport lt? All 3200 cl16 for a 3700x.

this is why I'm glad I don't live in the EU

Import taxes wouldn't be listed anywhere. You're expected to know your own country's border law you spaz.

ballistix

>expecting to know a border law that doesn't exist and is purely based off how the institution feels like at the time

Is there any rule of thumb for max screen size per resolution? I've heard around that 1080p stops looking good at 27" monitors (which would be my limit anyway).

I bought a cheap $20 gammax 400 and it works great on a 3600. I like the size too, my last build had a giga brick cooler that was a pain to install and covered up the ram.

In terms of finding a balance between pixel density and text size:
1080 looks best at 24,
1440p looks best at 27
4k looks best at 32

You can still do a 1080p 27inch, but pixels will be more noticeable. On the other-hand a 4k 27inch has great pixel density, but needs 125% or 150% scaling through windows unless you have eagle eyes. 1440p at 27inch just werks.

>Built a new PC yesterday
>R5 3600 going nuclear with jumping temp, voltage and core speed every few seconds
>Cinebench test gets my CPU to fucking 95C
>Idle is sitting at 45C but keeps jumping to 50-60, voltage also keeps jumping to 1.4 every few seconds
>Even when gaming for longer periods of time CPU temp reaches 90C
What the actual fuck? I am using a stock cooler but even my old one wasn't this bad. I checked again to make sure the cooler is screwed down like it should be but it didn't help.

Quick question.
My main build, 4690k + 970 mobo died. I got an used one online and it doesn't POST using 4 sticks of RAM.
I'm mad and I want to get a new CPU.
Is the Ryzen 3600 the best bang for your buck right now.
Also, would a 970 bottleneck it too much?
I barely play video games anymore and the shit I play is mostly

if you are mostly playing lighter games a 970 is still "good enough" and you would benefit from waiting a year or so to upgrade