Whatever happened to this thing?

Whatever happened to this thing?

Attached: 1555793306434.jpg (582x615, 42K)

I don't really know. I still have mine from when i was a kid.

>he admits to being a nigger
brave move on this site

They abandoned every cool part of this project and now sell android tablets instead.

The first thing to go was the mesh net, which was removed in the xo software and the capability was removed from the hardware shortly afterward.

they were supposed to give them to poor dumb black kids in Africa but then realized they could sell them instead but nobody wanted a laptop designed for niggers

I bet you’re too scared to say that in a room full of black folks, so you come on an anonymous racist web forum to spew your child-hating garbage.

Why are you such a coward?

Lmao such a coward he won't even fucking respond hahahaha

pretty racist of you to assume he isn't black

>I bet you're too scared to say that in a room where they outnumber you.

Are you implying they would attack him? That's pretty racist.

they ate it

Dropped it once
Screen never turned on again
WiFi always broken because it was one of the first 30 made or so

What really happened is that Asus launched the eeepc .
It was cheaper and used standard hardware

The hardware was impressive given the limitations of the day, but the entire concept was stupid.
Why give poor Africans computers when they don't even have running water or electricity or even basic agriculture?

I still have 2

to teach them javascript as the saying goes
why do you need agriculture in africa anyway it's a place of abundance people don't have to do jack

Smartphone happened

>folks
This board isn't for hillbillies. Fuck off.

they didn't push for implementation hard enough, sadly. now they sell really shitty tablets.

Yeah it was a case of minidisc vs mp3, after years of talking about it and trying to come up with a good design the private market actually came up with something better and the netbooks were born, at the same exact time the javascript infestation began and suddenly what was great hardware at the time that was being discussed couldn’t even render a website properly without slowing down to an absolute crawl, this also meant that any computing device at that price would never be viable as a connected machine, at the same time tablets were also coming out and killing the concept by offering the possibility of being more usable and cheaper than a laptop. Plus at the same time smart people on the ground were like
>we don’t have sanitation, vaccination, health care, jobs or publicly funded education, what’s the point of having laptops?
It was dooomed

Literally the only cool part about these

Been thinking about replacing the OS with a minimal Fedora install on mine for use as a SSH terminal. Being a laptop with AMD Geode and OpenFirmware, it's a pretty rare piece of hardware

I wonder if they could've done a circular funding thing with this.

You buy one for yourself and one for an impoverished child, feeling good about yourself as you go.
The laptop is shipped over to the child
The child's family sells the laptop to a westerner who doesn't care about the feel-good premium on eBay to get some USDs to buy more necessary goods
everyone wins, especially FedEx.

D-d-did you just assume s/he/it/'s g-g-gender?

Why do you rape people online?

Crashed and burned, because Africa doesn't need computers, it needs fucking smallpox.

Same?

Attached: 1568741432882.jpg (1024x680, 281K)

Look at that look of contempt on his face.

underage pls go

But user, OLPC was literally 20 years ago

Attached: 43091.gif (360x270, 1.63M)

The Juicero design firm made this.

when reddit visits Jow Forums, the post

if there is such abundance why do we keep sending them shit?

it retired from the money laundering business

>I bet you’re too scared to do *hazardous thing*
um ok.

population growth due to effects of modernity
new slaves for the globalist techno-capitalistic systems

is he using a desktop keyboard on top of it? and is that a portable hard drive stuck on the back?

so racist is a synonym for presumptuous now?

Yes that's the same LeapFrog in the OP.

Disappeared into obscurity once the netbook craze finally died out.

Whatever was dumped in African preschools are probably still in use, but beaten to hell and barely working.

it's funny because you think you're smart but don't realize what context switching is

Yes. RMS uses a HHKB.

bump

The OS was a complete clusterfuck. As a computer nerd I couldn't figure out how to do fucking anything; I can't begin to imagine how confused some illiterate african kid would be,

I remember reading about that in school and then recently wondered the same question as you. no answer lmao

Imagine being so fragile you're triggered by a word.