Is Gentoo/Funtoo still good/maintained?

Is Gentoo/Funtoo still good/maintained?

I used to have Funtoo as my main OS.
However, I had to move away and only used laptop with Void Linux for the last ~4-5 years.
Soon I'll have a proper PC again and wanted to get back into systemd-less source-based OSes.
But it seems like Gentoo doesn't have the manpower anymore and is at least partially abandoned.

Is this correct?
If yes, what are the good alternatives?

Attached: larry.png (282x265, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=561854
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Basic_guide_to_write_Gentoo_Ebuilds
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/About
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>>Is this correct?
No

>gentoo
>abandoned
lol wtf?

gentoo is dead, try arch bro

install pentoo

Gentoo is still going strong. Will be installing it soon to get away from the systemd and freedesktop trannyware

funtoo is also alive and well and recently released Funtoo Linux 1.4. Be mindful that funtoo is gentoo improved and fun too.

Ok, thank you.

Packages seem old.
Zen article is for the initial version from 2017.

Nah, thank you.
It has systemd and I still remember how it that itself after update when I was lying in the hospital.

Why is it better?

Ok. Thanks.

Seen that, but as it's a Gentoo derivative, I wasn't too optimistic.
That said, Funtoo has released some great software.
Can't imagine my PC without their 'keychain'.
I do remember Funtoo being slower to get AMD drivers.
Is it still the case?

>Packages seem old.
The default packages might be a bit old but after all there's a reason it's called stable. You can easily pull in a single package from testing if you want a newer version and for many packages you also have a git version.

What about Zen2 optimizations and settings, though?
I'm used to reading Gentoo Wiki for the correct kernel flags.

Set -march=native in CFLAGS for autodetect. It seems support for Zen2 was added in GCC 9 and Gentoo uses 8.3.0 so you'll need to emerge a newer version.

Thanks.
Since Funtoo comes with GCC 9 out of the box, this shouldn't be a problem.

Last question.
Can you explain to me the Funtoo releases?
I remember Gentoo being a rolling release.
Also, is libressl useable on Gentoo/Funtoo by now?

No, it doesn't have all the autists who now use Arch but that's okay. Probably even better this way.

I use Gentoo so not familiar with how Funtoo does releases. Don't use libressl either but guess it works so long as all your packages that use openssl has a libressl flag.

Got it.
Last time I tried, migrating to libressl was a pain in the ass due to unresolvable dependencies and that some packages didn't even differentiate between SSL implementations and were hardcoded to use OpenSSL.

>But it seems like Gentoo doesn't have the manpower anymore and is at least partially abandoned.
Well, some -primarily obscure- packages aren't perfectly maintained. As in: A bug report may only be addressed in a week or two. No big deal, it's not like most software is so annoying that it NEEDS constant maintenance in spite of portage anyhow.

Most of the packages important to many people get a lot of maintenance.

>Also, is libressl useable on Gentoo/Funtoo by now?
Libressl has long been usable in Gentoo/Funtoo, but last time I tried it it just didn't support all software for upstream non-Gentoo reasons.

That said, some Gentoo devs and users put in a rather massive amount of effort testing and also applying patches to let you use libressl on more software:
bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=561854

It's just still not the case that ALL software upstream supports libressl or has a patch.

Is there anything source-based that can use Runit as system init?

>Packages seem old.
They aren't.
Packages in the stable branch are older sure, but packages in the unstable branch are bleeding edge.
Mixing branches is supported, so if you need a newer version, you can install it without dependency hells (unlike on binary distros).
>Zen article is for the initial version from 2017.
The wiki article? What does that have to do with packages?

I was always running "~amd64", but neovim, for example is still on an old version.
Luakit was old for so long that some text editors relying on newish versions simply didn't work (vis).
And that was quite a while ago when Gentoo was more popular.

>The wiki article? What does that have to do with packages?
It tells of the state of the community.
Zen2 is currently very popular, but the article on the wiki is 2 years old and doesn't include anything about current versions.

Also, if you need the newest version of some package and it's missing, updating the ebuild might be as easy as just incrementing the version number.

I'll read into it.
Could you point me to the good guide?
One of the reasons I love Void so much is that you can push updated or new packages directly to their github.

>neovim, for example is still on an old version
Does the live ebuild not work?
>Luakit was old for so long
That's true, I think it was abandoned.
Had to fix the ebuild myself when I tried to install it.
Luakit has been the only case like that in my experience though.
>It tells of the state of the community
What does the Debian wiki tell of the state of the Debian community then?
It's extremely sparse and out of date and even their own tools aren't documented well.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Basic_guide_to_write_Gentoo_Ebuilds

>What does the Debian wiki tell of the state of the Debian community then?
That it's pretty much dead.
Which corresponds to their packages.

>Does the live ebuild not work?
I don't know yet. CPU will come next week.
That's why I'm inquiring.

>wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Basic_guide_to_write_Gentoo_Ebuilds
Thanks.

somebody knowa why firefox needs rust to compile on gentoo? I thought its USE flag was off

Gentoo is actually a solid distribution even today.
Yes, Portage does have some annoying issues here and there, a couple packages are missing or out of date and the documentation is sometimes lacking, but it's overall a stable, efficient and flexible system. Features such as overlays are vastly superior to alternatives such as ppas, not to mention that source-based software distribution in itself has many advantages over binary-based distribution. Apart from the obvious ability to enable/disable features at compile time, you can also circumvent license limitations on some features (see bindist USE flag). Plus, it also makes portability much easier: in principles, the only precompiled binaries you need to provide in order to support an architecture are a C(++) compiler and basic utilities. Everything else can be built locally. Not surprisingly, Gentoo is supported on many architectures because of this, a lot more than most other distributions.
The point of Gentoo, however, is not "minimalism" like some neckbearded autists here believe. The point is giving the user a large amount of choice and openness, this is stated in their website: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/About
Unlike Arch, Gentoo's time consuming installation is justified, as it makes very little choices and leaves the rest to you.
Personally, I see Gentoo as a (not so thin) wrapper around LFS: you have a large amount of choices with respect to your system, but Portage and other Gentoo tools automate the tedious, error-prone parts that can be automated. Yes, you can technically customize any GNU/Linux system like that, but Gentoo makes this much easier than most distributions. That's also why, despite its reputation, I find my Gentoo boxes easier to maintain than any other GNU/Linux system I've used (haven't tried Nix or Guix, though, they look interesting).

Attached: 1540529216740.jpg (508x803, 238K)

Because a huge chunk of it is written in rust now.

test

>Unlike Arch, Gentoo's time consuming installation is justified, as it makes very little choices and leaves the rest to you.
Absolutely this.