Dual layer is the future

OLED and microLED are both obsolete

Attached: 1560945855783.jpg (640x363, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=598174460503
youtube.com/watch?v=lyEgg-xXmYo
displayspecifications.com/en/news/7dd118f
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Quantum dots electro emission are the future in 15 years or more.

Well they cost 50k per monitor so who cares.
Once they get microled manufacturing going it's going to be the cheapest and best option.

>Well they cost 50k per monitor so who cares.
U9E is 65 inch and costs around $2500

>chinkshit

COPE

The issue a lot of intermediate techs have is that lighting zone issue. Until every pixel has individual lighting cababilities i dont see the point

A high pixel density, high refresh rate, high brightness, deep blacks, accurate colors, wide viewing angle, low response time, affordable display won't hit the market in your lifetime

kys shill you're ugly

ROG Strix XG438Q is $1500

>A high pixel density, high refresh rate, high brightness, deep blacks, accurate colors, wide viewing angle, low response time, affordable display won't hit the market in your lifetime

I don't give a shit about affordability, I am not poor. Give me OLED that won't burn-in after couple of hours of use.

>Give me OLED that won't burn-in after couple of hours of use.
they call them dual layer now

where do i buy it?

>Give me OLED that won't burn-in after couple of hours of use.
Imagine posting in thread without know what OP even talks about.

Dual layer fundamentally won't be as good. OLEDs have 0.1ms response times. Dual layer will be slow as shit. Wide viewing angles? No where near as wide as OLED. Affordable? Hell no, high-end LCDs are twice as expensive as OLED, imagine sticking two high-end panels together. It's going to be a nightmare.

The near future is OLED since they're still improving it year over year. Alternatively, micro full array, FALD using microLEDs on the orders of 10s of thousands. Should become cheaper as they ramp up microLED production. Dual layer LCD is just the worst case scenario trying to make already expensive high end LCDs and controllers more expensive

detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=598174460503

Fuck off xi pooping

i can't speak tiananman square

based chinese

>Hisense chinkshit
It won't even last as long as an OLED lol. There's a reason Samsung, Sony, and LG captured the high end market. For all the bitching that occurs at least you can use it knowing that there's any customer service at all. Meanwhile chinkshit (and Vizio) customers are shit out of luck when something inevitably goes wrong

There are 4k+4k dual layer panels in development. But a 1080p or even 720p second layer is lightyears better than the few hundred zone FALD we have now.

>burns down your house and raises your electrical bill
pssh nothin personel kid

it only uses 250w, similar to OLED

CRT had all this

Why is no one talking about mled anymore?

it can't be built

the X-ray meltbrains have arrived

>Anus shit

why would this make microled obsolete
your meme tech is still gonna have dogshit response times and middling contrast

bogus

If you stack 2 LCDs the contrast would be squared to whatever contrast a single panel has
So even with the bog standard 1000:1 IPS panel you are looking at 1000000:1 contrast with 2 panels

Because it was just a red herring to make it look like Samsung had something coming soon to compete with LG's OLED. It was not and is not anywhere close to being economically feasible to manufacture at a cost that could remotely compete with OLED. This is why they've hedged their bets with QD-OLED development. If that doesn't pan out, they'll have no choice else but to keep pimping tired old LCD for the foreseeable future, with nothing to compete at the high end.

>with nothing to compete at the high end
Are you retarded? Samsung is the biggest high-end TV shipper. In fact they're just the biggest shipper in general despite all of their TVs being overpriced to equivalents from other brands. They're like 33-40% of the total market right now. Sony, LG, TCL, and then smaller brands like Vizio, Hisense, Phillips, fight for the rest.

because dual layer killed it

When Samsung first demoed their Wall they said it would be at least 5 years just to get size and price down to something palatable. For cinema/HT fans that means $8-20k TVs probably.

why would that be true? blacks might be way better compared to current IPS, but peak brightness won't be anything special, and it'll probably still be some FALD shit

dibs lcd
m'led y

>wanting to burn your eyes
YIKES

but backlights are garbo, user

Also what are the refresh rates?

1/2 of those ought to be enough for anybody

>why would that be true?
When one panel is done with blocking 99.9% of the light from the backlight, the 2nd panel in front of it can block 99.9% of whatever light is still left peering trough the 1st panel

>but peak brightness won't be anything special, and it'll probably still be some FALD shit
having a high brightness panel isn't rocket science, you just need a good amount of LEDs and lower end panels tend to skimp on the backlight

>>I don't give a shit about affordability, I am not poor.
You're just bad with money.

>When one panel is done with blocking 99.9% of the light from the backlight, the 2nd panel in front of it can block 99.9% of whatever light is still left peering trough the 1st panel
I understand this, but the issue is gamma
it's still going to be human beings looking at the screen. Theoretical maximum contrast would be perceived as crushing blacks. There needs to be sufficient separation, as well as absolute black not looking like some unnatural void like it does on some OLEDs.

>There needs to be sufficient separation, as well as absolute black not looking like some unnatural void like it does on some OLEDs.

>Vantablack coated monitor

One can dream.

Dual layer LCD is neat but it uses too much power to be viable these days. With how many people are "environmentally concious" these days, all it would take would be one article in the NYT for like 40% of the population wanting it banned overnight because a decent size dual layer LCD would use well over 350 watts.

The problem with calling "the future" is that there are plenty of people who seem determined to make that future as bland and dumb as possible.

Nailed it. Samsung knew they couldn't compete at the high end with OLED, and heavily hyped mLED. However, production of that isn't feasible now at a consumer level (if ever), which is why the hype around mLED suspiciously died out around the time that Samsung started to design OLEDs too.

>Dual layer LCD is neat but it uses too much power to be viable these days.
250w for 65inch is on par with OLED

OLED is already here and not even that expensive. You can buy one for about a thousand bucks and use it and abuse it without that much to fear. When it burns in so much that you actually can't see part of the screen throw it out and get a new one. You can't do this if you spend big bucks on a top of the line one unless you have infinite money.

>OLED is already here and not even that expensive.
go away LG salesman

For a thousand bucks it better serve forever, i'm not gonna be buying a new one every year.

That sounds funky. Are you sure it's not 1.4X better with two panels?

It sells itself, it's a unique technology.
It's out of your budget then.

it's a thousand times better

The light modulating layer is 1080p in current models, so in my opinion it's still a local dimming LCD.

I read it as twice the chance of failure.

That's true NOW, but how long do you think that will last if Samsung doesn't have anything lined up to succeed LCD? That technology is mature - there's only so much more they can squeeze out of it, and OLED already rivals or betters it in most picture quality metrics. Meanwhile OLED will only keep getting better. The writing is on the wall for LCD, and Samsung knows it. The late investment in QD-OLED development is a desperate push to stay relevant in the high end market over the next decade.

Ignoring the price, if you are allowed to buy a single squarish 22.5" 320x360 μLED module, what would Jow Forums use it for? A photo frame? Terminal screen? Info display?

Attached: file.png (684x245, 13K)

>there's only so much more they can squeeze out of it
They just came up with a wide angle filter and reflection coating for their current line of VA TVs that look amazing. It does a far better job reducing indirect lighting than any other screen I've seen and the VA has the viewing angles of a good IPS/OLED. I'm using it as a monitor like a foot and a half from my face right now. And they previously showed off FALD using microLEDs so there's still a lot of work that can go into LCDs. OLED is better true, but burn-in is still a problem especially if you're a big consumer or if you're using it as a HTPC TV, or if you're just using it as a monitor, because the burn-in (more like wear out) is cumulative, so it's literally unavoidable over the years, mitigation can only reduce the impact. Not to mention OLEDs have to reduce whole screen brightness, if like >40% of the screen goes white then the auto-brightness kicks in and dumpsters the brightness while LCDs with a LED backlight can go up to well over a thousand. You can look at RTing's reviews, the brightness protection kicks in if more than a certain percentage is a bright color, only like

reverse engineering so i can have a chinese factory manufacture that shit

Sure, but it's over two MILLION dimming zones versus a few hundred with conventional FALD. This virtually eliminates visible haloing, and puts it much to closer to OLED in black level performance.

Samsung's latest flagship TVs are the best VA LCD has ever been, no doubt about it. But stuff like the wide angle filter comes with trade offs (reduced contrast) - trade offs that OLED doesn't have to make. LCD has limited room for improvement at this point, while OLED is just getting started.

Having said that, for the same reasons you give, I think OLED is more suited to the living room than the desktop. For that, I think dual layer LCD has the potential to carve out a niche, since get near OLED-like performance, but without the risk of burn in. Plus with smaller screen sizes the power consumption is not nearly as much of an issue as with a larger TV.

>over two MILLION
alpha as fuck

fuck no, all are important, except if you're rich

But the U9E is not a dual layer LCD tho.
See the video from Vincent from HDTVTest:
youtube.com/watch?v=lyEgg-xXmYo

I think Vincent got it wrong - I think that's actually the U9D. You can find other videos and articles referring to that model as having 5000+ zone FALD.

Hisense has made pretty unambiguous statements about the U9E being actual dual-layer. See for example:
displayspecifications.com/en/news/7dd118f

oled is still lcd

>(You)

>but peak brightness won't be anything special
literally who cares except your dim-sighted dad

except sony's 30 incher uses 300w

japanese are way behind on tech

Those pro displays don't use FALD. Any consumer display would almost have to have it (and maybe even global dimming) to keep the power consumption lower.

literally all your gook and chink consumer "tech" are built upon japanese technologies and components

>Until every pixel has individual lighting cababilities i dont see the point
THIS
is why lazer t.vs were going to be so fucking good
and one of the reasons plasma is godtier.

this world is such fucking dogshit.
>fuck making better tech
>lets opt entirely for profit!

Does power consumption even matter for the high end? I don't know anyone who splurges on thousands for a TV, but cringes at a couple of extra dollars a year on the power bill. The problem with dual LCD is that the pixel transitions are still slow as fuck and with two of them now you have twice the problems there.

Yea back from the 80s when the japs were still capable of making new tech. That's like saying all Japanese "tech" was built upon shit from NJ in the 50s invented by an american raghead and gook. Fuck off weeb

>this world is such fucking dogshit.
>fuck making better tech
>lets opt entirely for profit!
Better tech exists but it's not anything consumers can afford
It's hard to have any motivation to make something better when you know the margins are going to be garbage no matter what because that is just how most of the consumer market is