Previous thread:
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of Windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

Attached: sqtsmile.jpg (1448x2048, 239K)

Other urls found in this thread:

learncpp.com/
youtube.com/user/Mretaprime/videos
youtube.com/user/CppCon/videos
linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-nvidia-drivers-on-linux-mint
borncity.com/win/2019/02/06/costs-for-windows-7-extended-security-updates-till-2023/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_referer
apple.com/iphone/compare/
zapier.com/blog/best-pdf-editor-apps/
rbt.asia/g/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Abusive relationship (manipulative and controling, physical intimidation) but a child is involved so I'm not going to bail.

Anyway anyone know how I can hide browsing history from my partner? The regularly check our ISP's logs.

whats the best portable device for emulation right now? I wanna do snes, gba and ps1 and apparently psp's and 3ds' aren't good at all the above

If you have a prebuilt, and your manufacturer doesn't have drivers for a specific operating system, that means you can't use that operating system, correct? Trying to use another OS's drivers would probably cause problems, right?

Attached: 1484701344634.jpg (480x632, 76K)

>hiding from ISP
Tor or VPN

Get your drivers from the hardware manufacture....

Don't suppose you could point me to a mega with a decent vpn? Or just point to a decent vpn?

That's what I'm doing. I want to switch from 7 to 8.1, and the hardware manufacturer (this is an HP laptop) has drivers for Windows 7 as well as Windows 10 for this specific laptop model, but none for 8.1.

>windows
Accept your fate and just install 10, there is no reason to not be on 10 at this point

Private Internet Access or NordVPN.

I hope you are trying to or already have a plan to escape with your child. You don't want this shit to escalate and end up dead.

What's the difference between Linux and BSD?

Windows 10 scares me.

Attached: 1564771393404.jpg (1280x720, 40K)

From the last thread:

Suppose you buy BTC and then you exchange it for other cryptocurrency. I know there's a risk of getting tainted coins but what about the cryptocurrency you traded? If the guy on the other side uses it (btc he got from you) for nefarious things, could you be implicated even though you never spent it?
Thanks ladies/gents.

Install Linux

Please add a link to /pmp/ next time

Not sure if the right thread. Just got a job as a C++ dev with a company who interface with stock exchanges so efficiency and low latency is a key sticking point.
For the question: Can anyone recommend books or resources I can go over like a bastard in the upcoming weeks?
I have gone over cplusplus.com/ and isocpp.org/ and learncpp.com/ heavily so I know the main features of the language, STL, templates, Tl:dr not a fucking brainlet at programming like most who fall out uni. But am looking for resources and practice to get myself up to scratch
Thanks for reading my slightly pissed essay, more so if anyone replies

Yes, you're going to straight to pound-me-in-the-ass federal prison.

Thanks man I'll look into them.

It's a wip

Does Linux have hardware-independent drivers? I'd be wiling to try Linux but I don't know if I'd run into the same problem.

No. Why do you think it's popular for money laundering?

Most shit is baked in to the kernel,you might need specific drivers for specific hardware but the majority of it is in the distros software repo and you just have to isntall it during install.
Checkl the archwiki for driver info for your laptop

Best app to connect Android smartphone to laptop with Windows 10 via Bluetooth/Wi-Fi??

I thought the issue with BTC was that it is traceable in a way? And that you'll have to tumble it a couple of times to prevent people from tracing you or convert it to "fungible" crypto.

Time for a history lesson (I can answer this shortly, but I'm feeling autistic so let's go)

In the beginning, there was some irrelevant shit. But then AT&T came in the 70s and created Unix. It was small. It was light. It did what people wanted it to do. But it was proprietary.
They would license it out to people under various different shared-source licenses. Some were for companies, which led to AIX, HP-UX, and Solaris among others. However, some were also for educational use and for use by colleges. The main one here is BSD, standing for Berkeley Software Distribution. This became a very popular form of Unix.
All this stuff was pretty restrictive. You couldn't share the source unless under very specific terms. Everything was pretty proprietary at this time, although a bit less than Windows, which would come later.
Well one guy was fed up with it. A man named Richard Stallman. He was like "fuck it i'm gonna make my own Unix with blackjack and hookers" and so he did. He called it GNU, standing for GNU's not Unix: an affirmation that no AT&T code is involved, and thus he couldn't get sued. They were close to having a full OS. They just needed a kernel, and they were working on this HURD thing...
But then out of Finland came a certain Linus Torvalds. He wanted to make a free OS as well, and he called it Linux. Whatever userland they might have had was probably shit, but they had a pretty exciting kernel project going for them. GNU said "eh this is good enough" and basically ditched their HURD plans in favor of attaching their userland to Linux. Bam! Now we have Linux, known by some autists as GNU/Linux.'

continued

kdeconnect
smb
ssshfs

I installed debian 10 only to find out the my user profile I made on instillation doesn't have sudo privileges for some reason. I tried to nigger rig the nano sudoers file and it still fucking gives me the "user is not allowed to run sudo on debian. This incident will be reported." I added my user profile to the sudoers file in the terminal but it still gives me this error. Literally how.

Attached: 1ebsjn.jpg (274x274, 10K)

I'm getting a new CPU, Mobo, and ram. Does it matter if on the motherboard's site has a difference in `SPD Speed` and `RAM Speed`?

You are a God bru

- A subscription to a VPN provider.
- OS on a USB stick
configured to use the VPN provider
and a browser configured to not remember anything. (No cache, delete cookies and history on exit, adblocking).

This is assuming yoy don't have your own smart phone with a good data plan.

An android phone?
youtube.com/user/Mretaprime/videos

Different kernel and different userland conventions (directory structure, switch conventions, stuff).

Watch a bunch on videos from the recent convention: youtube.com/user/CppCon/videos

Try: su root

Seems like it's not listed at all, so it probably won't work.
I hate bitcoin. I'd buy a not-shit computer but I don't want to pay out the nose for a graphics card. I've been told next generation likely will have normal prices but waiting is hard.

call the fucking cops, retard
tor won't save you from a hammer to the back of the head

‘su root’ to get root privileges. Then add your user to the group ‘sudo’

But what happened to BSD? Well at one point they said hey! we want to get in on this free OS shiznit too! But when they tried AT&T came knocking and was like hell no. They had to rewrite their entire OS to make sure they had no AT&T code. This slowed them down while GNU/Linux gained relevance and commercial success. Eventually they got it done though, and they made some releases of that. It then started to become less of a college project though, as that codebase then branched out into several BSD Unix OS projects. There are three main ones today. First of these is FreeBSD, which developed in a way to where they adopted some features from the proprietary Unices, namely Solaris's ZFS filesystem. They also have a code of conduct which states no harassment and/or virtual hugs. Then there's NetBSD, which today is mainly known for supporting a lot of old or obscure hardware like VAX, game consoles, IRIX graphics workstations, Amigas, and others. Some guy named Theo disagreed with some of their design decisions and forked that into OpenBSD, which is the third big BSD today. This one is known for high security, and if you SSH ever, you're probably using their SSH client and daemon code. More recently they're known for predicting Intel's recent fuckups way ahead of time.

So that's a little history of the OSes. In short, they're all very different systems with different histories and different uses, although they're all kinda under the umbrella of "Unix-like systems".

Cool, cool. What are the downsides to BSD? Whenever I see it mentioned here it gets a lot of flak.

Just built my new pc, has a X570I Aorus Pro Wifi. Somehow when the PC is on nothing else has internet, it hogs all the bandwith. This is even in the computer, if I start a download I can barely even open Youtube videos.

How can I change this?

Never used it. My guesses:
- Small community. (Above a certain threshold, does this really matter?)
- Less software targetting the platform. (How much off-the beaten track software do /you/ usually use, anyway?)
- Fewer hardware drivers? (Don't know if this is true.)

Normally things should just work without you having to massage anything.

Do you have packet loss? (Causes heavy websites to load slowly.)

Well BSD, being less popular, has a lot less support for modern hardware. Linux has had issues there in the past, but they've been getting a lot better, so switching from that to BSD is like going back in time to a less developed time. Linux also has a lot of cool features like great virtualization via KVM and Xen, as well as tons of filesystems and even good support for Microsoft's filesystems. BSD lacks these things in general, although FreeBSD is better slightly. Gaming is also, out of all of these, pretty exclusive to Linux. There's some hacky shit you can do, but BSD does not have steam clients for example.
So don't expect to run BSD on a gaming PC or anything, and don't expect BSD to have all of Linux's bells and whistles. There's lots of things Linux just does better. Don't let that dissuade you from trying BSDs though. They have their niches and things they do better too, which is worth exploring if you get the chance.

I don't think I have packet loss, I'm in Mexico so my 10 megas internet is shit I'm used to that. If I start a download it will go up to 1.25MB/s which is practically the max download speed possible. Nothing else will work in the meantime.

should allow linux to install the third party software stuff during installation or can I just get my GPU drivers after the installation is done

Hello I am poorfag and need to edit a PDF file to help me get a job.
Is there a program that I can use, or free trial that doesn't want my card info?

Hi
How could I install the video driver on acer aspire V5-471? I'm using Linux Mint on it.

Is it not installing a bunch of updates in the background?

'Allow now' is the path of least resistance.
'Install later' might need you figure out what to install and possibly enable access a non-free/firmware repository.

V5-471G? That's the only one I could find information on. Not sure if there's a regular 471 or not. In any case, if it's anything like the G model I found, that would be an Nvidia driver. Maybe this could help.
linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-nvidia-drivers-on-linux-mint

Cheers mate i'll do that along with any exercises and shit I can find

I have a Seagate drive tjat is clicking, it's a seagate 2TB I ironically got as a replacement for my last dear 2Tb which lasted 6 months.

When using it it will click and occasionally give a boot error saying winload.efi is missing.

But when I load it via a USB SATA port I managed to copy all my data.

Is this drive going bad, or is it another issue?

How do I safe browsing on Windows 7 after updates stop on January 14th 2020?

Attached: b-body.jpg (371x371, 18K)

Bad cable sounds like.

you don't, enjoy you're viruses ;)

Baby wipes to clean thermal paste, yay or nay?
..... I've already done it and it works fine.

Attached: 1563397300614.jpg (1910x2971, 314K)

Security update from 2020 to 2023 cost $$$
borncity.com/win/2019/02/06/costs-for-windows-7-extended-security-updates-till-2023/

Keep all the software you use to interact with the internet up to date. (Eg: Browser.)

Maybe a virus checker might be an idea.
And separate backups.

Is it possible to set up a website that recognizes where people are clicking the link to it from? I'd want to set up a poll that only recognizes the votes that came from a link in a private group chat, and ignores votes from anyone the link was shared to, or something similar to it.

>that pic
I'm not a feet guy by any means, but that's just hot. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with baby wipes, but alcohol and a cotton swab works better.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_referer

Thanks, I figured it was fine.

Attached: 1566337324055.jpg (1066x1491, 134K)

Just spent hours at the mall after my folks fell in love with the iPhone 11 and will probably be getting them. Though they're definitely going to be improvements over our iPhone 6's which we've had for years, how much of an improvement are they over the iPhone X phones? General thoughts and concerns over the iPhone 11? And this'll be the dumbest question but I noticed the new iPhone models don't have a home button so what mechanism or set of actions is meant to replace it?

Attached: pail.jpg (300x339, 48K)

Thanks

you're doing funny things to my pants user.
>mfw no office mommy to hold me

Attached: 1567295521529.jpg (320x227, 19K)

I'm not really sure. The goal is to clean the paste off but not leave other residue there either, both from the substance you use to clean but also from the cloth or whatever. The general recommendation is to use high-purity isopropyl alcohol with a lint-free cloth.

It depends what baby wipes contain, they may leave something behind and contaminate the surface, though how much that would actually matter for temperatures is another question entirely.

who the fuck puts the default gateway after the host ip

Attached: gatewayafterhost.jpg (645x626, 42K)

Guys please, I need to edit a PDF for free without giving my card info. It's bad enough that the PDF is my resume.

Attached: pls PDF editor.jpg (1200x1200, 71K)

apple.com/iphone/compare/

Bigger screen, better cameras, faster processor, wifi 6 vs 5, better battery life.

You'll have to learn the gestures to navigating between apps, accessing notifications, quick settings, etc.

ifconfig 10.0.0.97 netmask 255.255.255.240 gateway 10.0.0.110

We know nothing about your system.
Try opening your pdf in every piece of software you have installed on your system.

zapier.com/blog/best-pdf-editor-apps/

>the PDF is my resume
Did you lose the .tex source?

Have new blu rays
VLC blu ray isn't working, none of the fixes work (the problem started from AACS keys, but the discs are new so the key probably isn't available)
Tried Leawo, no dice because the program fucking crashes every time (uninstalled)
wat do? I just want to fucking watch it, not pirate

Attached: Dear Lord no.png (1280x738, 433K)

will it show me all that it installed so I can wipe whatever I don't need later?

Yes.
You might have to dig a little to find the right command for your particular distro.
Or just use the graphical tools if that's your thing, I guess.

Can someone get an Emacs general going
>inb4 do it yourself
I don't have the pasta

Can OneDrive append files like Dropbox or does it reupload the whole files like Google drive?

>I don't have the pasta
rbt.asia/g/

k, thanks

No, this has been going on since Monday (when I bought it.)

Why does Linux Mint get stuck on the loading dots for like a minute when shutting down in my VM? Ubuntu shuts down really fast.

I know that feeling, user. I'd love to have job where woman have to dress like this.

Attached: 1569094886667.jpg (844x1433, 558K)

It works with Fortnite but how to save?

THANK YOU, THANKS A MILLION

Attached: ty ty.jpg (1280x720, 74K)

Old kernel

Why hasn't a tag-based file system been done yet? Or if it has, how can I utilize it? I've resorted to writing a script that creates symlinks of files and puts them in folders with the names of the tags I want to give them, but there has to be a better way. Also don't say Hydrus, that's probably the most bloated software I've ever used.

So should I update it when I install it for real or just leave it? It doesn't bother me that much and I'd rather avoid potential issues if doing that might cause any.

I have an HDD that I've been using as a storage disk on a Debian server since forever so I guess it's set up as ext3. Anyway, I now want to use said disk in a PC with Windows 10 installed and it displays the drive under disk management, yet it reports the disk as 100% free which is a bit odd but I guess due to it being ext3. Can I somehow make it useable under Windows without formating and changing file system? Why does Windows even recognize it as a disk at all if it isn't able to correctly read it?

Attached: 294068-wd-red-hard-drive.jpg (333x333, 17K)

what kind of tools do i need if i want to customize everything on my OS design wise? i would have a (virtual) machine dedicated specifically to this project so if there's a particular distro you think is best suited to this i'd like to hear it. i really just want to see how far I can go with it

I just finished my associate's, and I'm torn between doing CS or CE. I've been told that CE is a jack of all trades, master of none situation, but I feel like the EE stuff is harder to self learn than coding.. Looking for input and opinions. Please don't just tell me I shouldn't be asking you guys, I'm going to talk to a councilor next week anyway.
Thanks

The problem would be getting existing software to be able to load and save files.

Plus you'd have to figure out who is in charge of tags.
Remember the ontological/rdf stuff from 1999?
Contrast that with the way boorus work today.

The best we currently have is having tagging support inside individual bits of software.
Eg: Your photo management software with dates, gps location, face recognition, tags and notes.
Eg: Your email client with flags.

Warehouse cuck here. What do I need to get an entry level desk job? Don't care what it is, I'm tired of doing manual labor, I'd much rather sit at a computer desk.

Is it possible to make your own local booru just to view images/videos on your own hard drive? Where would I start?

Download booru software.
Install webserver.
Setup database.

Presumable you'll have to move all you images/videos into your local booru instead of leaving them where ever they current lie in the file system.

My windows installation is fucked, I can't recover it via bootrec, I can't fix the MBR, and it can't even reset, am I gonna have to reinstall this shit?

just google "ext3 on Windows 10". There are several guides to get Windows 10 to recognize Linux only partitions without formatting but it's a pain in the dick because that's just how Windows be. Do you have extra space anywhere to store all the files so you can reformat the HDD as NTFS and then move the files back? Or at least make sure you have a backup somewhere to ensure the data isn't lost forever.

> inb4 /v/

What's a good Bluetooth 4.0 dongle for this thing?
> Just buy the MS dongle
No, it's overpriced.

Attached: d3d83d26-d0df-49b8-9ad2-f213425a091d.jpg (1056x594, 51K)

Yeah, I saw that it requires third party software and even then it's not recommended to try to write to the disk, only read the data already on it. I'm planning on replacing it anyway so I might as well just copy all the data to a new drive and then scrap it. Weird though that it even recognizes the disk at all if it can't read it properly.

There's a Github repository I want to use in my Github repository.
The one I want to use has folders including tests, samples, and source code.
What's the best way to add and link that repository with my own?

the MS dongle doesn't use bluetooth, it uses its own proprietary protocol that sadly works way better than regular bluetooth. it's your best option

such an awesome smile desu

yeah its very cute uwu
No, you can also choose to install GNU/Linux.

fork

Are you a guy? Imagine letting a woman boss you round this much.

I don't know but all I'll say is be careful
I got a cheap one and it broke off inside my usb port. granted, it was a bit wobbly so I should have known, but still.

Couldn't you just get one of those meme computer jobs like doing data input?

what software does this icon represent pls? Thx

Attached: IMG_E6682.jpg (419x421, 77K)