/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: performance-880_7179_1024x1024.jpg (600x600, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

drop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-tr-x00-mahogany-headphones
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-fx-audio-dac-x6-dac-compared-to-topping-d30-and-fiio-e10k.2097/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Repostan

Looking for recommendations. Ive had two pairs of KZ ATEs and liked them a lot but looking for something a bit better.
Budget is $50
IEMs
I plan on buying these along with a Shanling M0
I'm not an audiophile so I prefer comfort and build quality over sound quality (as long as the sound quality isn't shit terrible). I want them to last as long as possible so a replaceable cord is a plus.
Someone tell me what to buy

Headphone reviewers tier list:
Top tier:
1 - DMS - quick and straight to the point reviews, honest, doesn't get paid to do most reviews, is so based that he gets headphones from zeos for free and reviews them badly regardless of the fact that they're pairs that zeos is shilling
2 - Max Settings - Owns headphones worth more than the average American earnings, calls shills on their bullshit, fiercely defends cheap stuff like the Koss ksc75 and creative aurvana live! despite owning headphones that are 30x more expensive.
Mediocre tier:
metal571 - Takes a fucking decade to fully review something, probably likes muddy bass unironically (just test some of his EQs settings and see for yourself).
Fucking DEAF tier:
Zeos pantera - Blatant shill, gets paid from amazon affiliate links and chinks. Always shills garbage chinese headphones/iems when better alternatives exist. Often makes blatantly stupid comparisons like the SHP9500 vs HD600s/650s, the 58X and the 600s etc...

Attached: 1487723612084-1.png (980x747, 685K)

Josh is above DMS

What is the ultimate budget DAC/Amp?

E10k?
SMSL M3?
FX Audio X6?

Joshua valour? that retard unironically thinks the SHP9500 is one of the best sub 100$ headphones when the CAL, KSC75, Tin T2 etc.. exist.

>Budget
$60-$70
>Location
Burgerland
>Source
Connected to motherboard.Do plan on finding a good and affordable DAC/amp when the time comes.
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed.I hate having sound being heard by others around me.
>Comfort level
I want them to feel good for long sessions on my computer.
>Sound signature
Wouldn't really know since I'm not much of an audiophile but I plan on getting more into that stuff.
>Past headphones
Mostly gayming headphones since i wanted a headset with a mic.
if possible,I would like the headphones have a port where i can add the Boompro mic onto it for talking to people

Creative Aurvana Live.

If I had to start all over again, as a newbie..

atom is aparently the best budget amp.
DAC.. maybe khadas tone board.

Thank you user. Can i also ask you about your opinion on the Status Audio CB-1 if you have tried them out?

>Budget
400$

>Location
Merica

>Source
usb3

>Type of headphone
Full-sized

>Open or closed
Closed, don't want sound to be heard while recording.

>Comfort level
Average, fabric is a must

>Sound signature
Neutral

>Past headphones
Shitty earbuds and phone speakers

drop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-tr-x00-mahogany-headphones

Looking for some wireless headphones for work and pleasure. Budget is $150-$200 but would like to stay low if I could.

stax

Panasonic RP-HD605N

>Tin T2
lol

Sony XM3's any good or a meme? Going traveling soon and want some good, comfortable headphones.

He probably just hasn't used them at all, he's also missing some other stuff you'd think he might actually like.

Not the person you're asking but the CB-1 is worse built in my opinion and unless you really want an absurd amount of bass you're just better off with the CAL!

Z reviews blows and PS straight up lies. Metal is the lowest of the low. The rest is gud
t. Ken Ball

Sony WH-910N

Hard to beat Magni/Modi combo.

not really, like i wrote above the atomp and khadas can easily compete.

>khadas tone board.

>unfinished product
>no USB input

Try harder if you want to bait.

Yinyoo V2

ok professor big brain, no need to call each other names. We're all civilised here. But the khadas has usb-c -> USB connection.

Besides M/M, atom/khadas, topping is an option but I just can't help but thing they're overhyped

Topping DX7s

Need an answer for this but since cold temperatures seem to fuck with the sony 1000xm3's touch controls, which is a major turn off for me, does this also apply to the xb900n?

>DMS
>good
>can't even make an actual review of the monoprice electrostat

Just got the Final Heaven IV on sale for around $100. How bad did i fuck up?

If how bad the m1060 is isnt enough of a warning already

>Budget
250€
>Location
Europe
>Source
Smartphone, Laptop
>Type
Closed back, over ear. Bluetooth and active noise cancelation would be nice if it doesn't impact the sound quality.
>Sound Signature
Don't care, open to anything as long as the cans are good

Name a better sub $50 iem with an all metal build, detachable cables, and amazing mids and treble.

>overhyped
Pointless distraction. Some their stuff apparently measures very well, there's no reason to ignore that.

>open to anything as long as the cans are good
Good is subjective buddy. If you dont care just buy beats

>$500
>budget
I have nothing against DX7s, but I wouldn't characterize it as "budget".

One of E1DAs offerings would blow those out of the water

then fucking explain why it's bad, not stare at the camera for 10 minutes acting like a retard. or is it true that he can't make a review of something unless there's someone else's opinion he can parrot.

>topping is an option but I just can't help but thing they're overhyped

At least it's a finished product.

is the 6xx/650 dark boomy shitphones?

Yes. They had their time but that has long faded.

is there any legit review at all for these ? No one cared when they came out

Because they're entirely pointless when hte KOSS 95X exists.

I have these and here are my thought on them
1. the active noise cancelling works way better than I'd expected, it creates a mild pressure feeling though
2. I like the sound better than my previous headphones, the m50x
3. they are light, have amazing battery life
cons:
1. they are plastic all around and I've read that the hinges like to crack for many
2. they aren't the most comfortable, not terrible by any means since they're light

Klipsch Heritage headphone amp for $500, worth it or not?

hello, often people complain about sound signatures of headphones, like too much bass, however isn't this completely customizable in software either way?

>fostex
>neutral
Kill yourself, niggerbass baiter

What price range would I be looking at for an acceptable quality? I'm not much of an audiophile, I'm more interested in it not breaking and not noticeably sounding like shit. Just something cheap, would any old bargain bin trash be fine?

>like too much bass
>customizable in software either way
When headphonhes tuned that way the sound signature would be entirely off and the pulse attack and tonality is extremely poor. You just hear the offness if it gets to you. You should just get neutral/flat/sparkly if you want EQing up

>however isn't this completely customizable in software either way?
No.
You can EQ to a point but you might introduce distortions or general degradation to the sound quality.
Some take to EQ better than others but even then there's a limit to what you can do.

$300 for the headphones $200 for the DAC amp max, but you really can make do with a much cheaper setup depending on how shit your past experiences with headphones are.
I know people who don't see the value in getting anything better than a CAL!, and honestly I can see why.

With that purpose in mind, I'd say the point of diminishing returns starts somewhere around $150-$200.

EQ can only go so far

What in the sweet ass fuck is a CAL!

Creative Aurvana Live!
The 1, not the 2 or any of the other variants.

you fall for the placebo

Okay, keep coping with your poorfaggotry.

Except that's nowhere near the aforementioned three in terms of price range. That guy asked about budget solutions, and the three he named are way cheaper.

Definitely the dac X6. That thing has huge power for it's price, you can easily push 250ohms with it.

Not the user you're replying to, but when you come from the average $20 inear, the fostex are relatively neutral in comparison.
I had people think the akg k518 is neutral because they apparently have less bass than some beats.
It all comes down to perspective. Many people just don't know what neutral really is.

Took off one of the closed backs on my cal! yesterday and I got to say they improved quite a bit. Think I'll order some laser cut wood with holes in it to cover up the missing backplate.

No.
>audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-fx-audio-dac-x6-dac-compared-to-topping-d30-and-fiio-e10k.2097/

Neutral is nobass/orsometimespunchy shut the fuck up

that's the most common damage control by those who fall for placebo

expensive dynamic headphones are placebo
only save up for electrostats

Have you read that review and not just masturbated to the charts?

Yeah and? It's a cheap dac/amp wtf do you expect? And it's not like you can hear those distortions, get real you're not superhuman. People talk about sinad and other buzzwords and how they can actually hear the difference but let me tell you something it's all placebo. You won't even be able to hear the difference between a sabre chip and a THX AAA chip you can only measure it, it's all bullshit marketing. That guy wanted the best cheap sub 100 Allrounder and the dac X6 is just that, the dac is good enough and it has plenty of power.

>smoke weed
>my psychoacoutic ability increases by at least 150 percent
best sub $100 bong ? can be closed or open-back

Isn't the JDS Atom just an amp? And not a DAC/Amp?

Is it like the Magni where you basically need the Modi to connect it to a PC?

Which is more optimal, DX3Pro or Schiit Stack?

both good
DX3Pro looks way better

Besides ygggy and gungnir Schitt is trash

Doesn't the DX3 have one of the clickiest volume knobs ever?

It also doesn't have a lot of power the Xduoo TA-10 is a better choice that baby can drive my HD600 with the greatest of ease.

*SNAAAAAAAAAP*

It is, yet what a interested buyer coming from cheap inears perceives as neutral is an entirely different thing.

The coiled wire of my DT990 Pros tangled up with my chair and caused them to drop on the floor, tow the right speaker doesn't work anymore. Should I drop 80€ on a repair or just replace them with something else? Mainly listen to Techno, Gabber that kinda stuff. Prefer to buy stuff from German Amazon.

I went to an AV store and tried several headphones.

Loads of Sennheisers, a couple of Beyerdynamic and Audio Tehnica. All plugged into a good DAC.

None of them really sounded as nice as my Fidelio X2 that I was comparing them to.

I think I'm just used to the sound that the Fidelio X2 provides. If I wanted to upgrade what's a pair similar to it?

Just repair them yourself? Open them up and look what's wrong. Got nothing to lose and shit is probably easy.

Yea I'm gonna open them up but the last time I soldered something was like 10 years ago in school.

Okay. cool

Dude, there literally no soundstage for niggerphones and bland

No please spare my baby's snapposter I've had mine since 2009(except the 58X of course).

Attached: the snap brothers.jpg (1999x1384, 623K)

you fell for the eq placebo

What do we think of AIAIAIA's?

the kitchen aesthetic is just too perfect. I need to get one of these before they dry up.

>expensive dynamic headphones are placebo
>only save up for electrostats
Let me guess, a staxfag. I'm not this guy, but you talking shit about dynamics whiles dynamics better than shitty fucking stax. Fuck off -10db lowend fag

i-is this going to be the thinkpad of headphones?

Because they are so modular?

OOGA BOOGA BASS BASS BASSSSS MUH BASS

Bei quick bro the 2019 edition got rid of it

Attached: 14349398_800.jpg (600x360, 17K)

>If I wanted to upgrade what's a pair similar to it?
Same issue as you, right now my answers are Denon AHD-7200 / TH-900 / Klipsch HP-3 only tested the 900, I can't find a place to demo the other yet.

But you literally can't hear any bass notes in stax while 660s does it

Bass is fun bro every human loves low frequencies after the all the frequency of the earth itself low

Don't you have some friend/family who could do it? I certainly wouldn't send them in, as you can get a new one for like $50 more and use the old one for parts.
But fixing it yourself would be my go-to.

t. Beats dindus

>human loves low frequencies after the all the frequency of the earth itself low
With this one i disagree. You need "punch" not "wohooooo bass CHEST FEEEL COOOOM'' "i can'T HEAR YOU LUL" kid

>t. fall for staxmeme

you need Sonichu "fast"

Dude, I said "660s" learn to read, literal -101db lowendfag

Beats 660s by Dre lol

Punch is good but too much of it is really fatiguing, Argons do fun bass pretty well in my experience.

Ok lets say I try to repair the 990's myself, what are some alternatives for 130€?