/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming build skeletons and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

AM4 mobos:
imgur.com/qm8xp5w
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric games or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - budget performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: serveimage.png (1389x500, 2.55M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/TwLKHB
newegg.com/black-acer-vg271u-pbmiipx-um-hv1aa-p01-27/p/N82E16824011278
pcpartpicker.com/list/kRpJ7T
pcpartpicker.com/product/LcYQzy/gigabyte-x570-ud-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-ud
go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=822784
youtube.com/watch?v=blbu0g9DAGA
pcpartpicker.com/list/27tRsk
techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/3.html
youtu.be/rDV7aA6arVo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

any redpills on linux gaming or linux + ryzen?

Attached: 1552492334184.jpg (483x591, 88K)

I'm a tech not a doctor, Jim.

Do not buy Intel GPUs!

Do not buy Nvidia CPUs!

Do not buy AMD PSUs!

Do not buy Logitech RAM!

Do not buy MSI vibrators!

I know the 3600 is low power but I still want an aftermarket cooler of some sort. What's a good low noise cooler for that CPU? Not too fussed about cost.

Considering:
Hyper 212 BE
Arctic Freezer 34 DUO
Dark Rock 4

but open to any suggestions

gammaxx 400 for best p/p
le grand macho if you want to run it fanless or semi-fanless.

I had a dark rock pro 4, super low noise, like barely ever hear it unless I was pushing the cpu hard, and even then it was still pretty silent

How much of an improvement would i get going from a sapphire nitro fury to a sapphire nitro/powercolor red devil 5700xt ? Whats the current equivalent to my fury?

Rate my build, the parts that are $0 come from my old build. Got lucky with the red devil 5700XT and manage to snag an open box one from micro center for $370 including tax an an extra $20 for a 2 year warranty.

Attached: midrange.png (878x919, 82K)

750w is a bit too much I think, also haven't head of inland premium so I do not know about its quality, I can recommend sabrent rocket though!
Everything else seems fine.

Get Ballistix Sport LT 3200 instead, it's better and $50 cheaper.

Yeah I went overkill on the PSU, since my last build's PSU died, luckily none of the components got harm.

Get 3000 instead it's a tighter bin.

Do 32gb sodimms work on all laptops or are there shitty boards that don't know what to do with them?

Attached: 32gb.png (1572x565, 466K)

only the newest generations support them

[spoiler]Stealing my question from reddit because nobody answered it[/spoiler]
What can I use to control all my ARGB things differently? For example I got a bunch of fans and they came with a controller, but it acts like a splitter. It works well enough, but it's not what I envisioned. Is there anything that plugs into the motherboard, takes in a bunch of rgb plugs, and pretends that they are all one long string? I suppose I would need to tell it how leds many are in each line, but whatever. The way it is each fan is the same. I thought that's what the difference between controller and splitter was, but I guess I was mistaken.

How's it look?

Attached: minecraftmachine.jpg (1292x969, 210K)

You can get an Intel 660p 1tb drive for like $10 bucks cheaper

Otherwise looks solid, make sure that psu has the EPS pins for your board, PCPP should warn you if it doesn't

If you fans came with a controller, they're usually meant to be controlled manually. For instance the Corsair RGB fans come with an RGB daisy chain/hub. That hub connects to the motherboard and is then controllable via Corsair iCUE software.

rate my pretty white themed build. Looking to build soon
pcpartpicker.com/list/TwLKHB

How can I get my RAM CAS latency below 8.3 ns the meet the Ryzen sweet spot while having 32 GB of memory?
The only RAM kits that are below 8.3 would require 4 sticks or a quad set up, am I missing something here?

The best I can find is CAS 14 3200, which (14/1600*1000) = 8.75 with a bunch of the g.skill kits (2x16).

I am getting a bonus from work. Which graphics card should I buy? I am unfortunately an amd fanboy.

Don't think on it too much. Get a good CL16/3600MHz kit or CL16/3200MHz. Then OC.
I hope your bills are taken care of before you blow your bonus on a GPU. The only AMD card worth a fuck right now is the Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT. Or the Powercolor Devil one. Both are continuously out of stock.

Attention op is a fag

I’m not going to be over clocking anything including cpu.
What are my options for intel and amd respectively that support 4 RAM sticks?

All support 4 sticks. It's just that the memory controller on the motherboard might not support 4x sticks of high speed/tight timing memory. Also your options for Intel are the 9900k. Only chips that matters if you intend to clock it high. However since you're not overclocking, AMD has good chips. 3600 is best for those on a budget. 3700X is even better.

The 9900K is my lowest choice, followed by the 3900X.
Do these chips all support 4 RAM sticks, so I could get CAS 14 3600 4x8?
Does the 9900X and 9920X support this setup as well?

I am looking simply for at least 4.0 clock on all cores, 12 cores (except 9900 which provides significant all core boost), and support for the lowest possible latency memory - on Ryzen being below 8.3 ns, on intel this is just going to be 3600 CAS 16 (2x16) as I have less need for the super low low latency.

what is your use case? what is this PC for? The 3900X is fine if you can find it in stock anywhere. The problem with consumer setups is they're setup for dual channel memory. Which means that while you can indeed run 4 sticks, there's no guarantee the memory controller on the motherboard will support 4x8GB of CL16/3600MHz for instance. They might only be able to run at CL16/3000 because the load is too much on the controller. Where as the 9900X and 9920X you mentioned are X299 based. X299 has 8 RAM slots and quad channel memory and as such, a quad channel oriented memory controller capable of handling 4 sticks of high speed RAM. However X299 is a REALLY hard sell and I wouldn't recommend it over something like AMD's Threadripper line and X399 which also offers the quad channel I mentioned.

>paying over 100$ for a keyboard

RETARD!?

>being poor

Does the model motherboard really matter if I'm not over-clocking? Assuming it's compatible with the CPU of course.

2 questions
is RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO from MSI a fucking meme? everybody is saying
>dis be da best 2070S mon, get it
i'm torn between buing it and 5700xt aftermarket with good cooling like red dragon or red devil
is newegg.com/black-acer-vg271u-pbmiipx-um-hv1aa-p01-27/p/N82E16824011278 shit? it's kinda cheap for IPS 1440p 144Hz though there are many reports of flickering

Model doesn't particular matter, no.
Though it's always nice to have heatsinks on your VRMs.
Or failing that, airflow.

How about buying an 9100F as a placeholder for the upcoming Comet lake?

I heard Cometlake i5 will be 6c/12t and clock higher than 9th gen but also cheaper than Ryzen 3000, so it would be perfect for gaming/casual content creation.

pcpartpicker.com/list/kRpJ7T

Dumb question, but can I use the stock cpu backplate that comes with my mobo to install a cpu cooler instead of the 3rd party cooler backplate? The threads fit and everything, and I prefer the stock's metal backplate vs the plastic one.
asrock pro4 with gammaxx gt btw

That case is terrible to build in, taking the glass panel off needs an allen key for example. If you want while, get a NZXT H510 instead.

you know any good cases without glass shit? i'm not RGB GAMING ULTRA 9000 ANAL RUPTURE DOUBLE RGBQT fag so i can live with closed case
i heard good shit about be quiet! pure base 600

spot the be quiet shill

Why can't AMD into fucking stock, for fuck sake. i've been waiting to buy a 5700xt for months now and still can't find any instock anywhere. Might as well shell out a couple more bucks and buy a reference RTX 2070s.

How is the 2070 super?
Is it worth the money or should I just go with 5700 nitro+?

depends on your needs and the prices
for fuck sake, why do you people keep asking these questions assuming everybody in the world is you, and has the exact same prices and priorities as you?

I have that monitor and I can only speak highly of it

then tell me where to find some nonshilled info on cases

My need is to make Cyberpunk run well and look good, other than that I just play games that dont demand that much.

The price difference is like 100 euros

anywhere other than you nigger

Tempered glass side panels are just the current design trend, like it or hate it. I shill the H510 because it’s simple to work in with great cable management and quality of life features like a single thumbscrew for that side panel and a removable front fan bracket for AIOs.

That new be quiet case looks nice, but last I checked it hadn’t made its way into retailer stock yet. This was last week though.

Film scoring, uses libraries that take A LOT of RAM. My current 16gb is a huge bottleneck.
I want at least 32gb of high quality memory, the threadrippers are not good for my use case.
The 8 core 9900 is enough cores and wildly powerful per thread but also is the end of its product line and I would like to ideally build a machine that will be relevant for as long as possible - which leads me to the X299 line.
This machine will be run offline on W7 on the version I’ve been using stably for the past few years, so the vulnerabilities don’t bother me.
The 3900 is easily accessible for me supply is not an issue, the issue is reaching the 8.3ns sweet spot while achieving 32gb. You say not to overthink it, but I have no problem spending the money required to get a maximised system.

Dark Rock Slim is about 10$ less and will be sufficient for a 65W CPU

i'm leaning to be quiet shit, since it's not that expensive in my shithole and opinions on forums in my language are also positive
and it's not ultiamte shit tier like silentiumpc brand in my country, which is aliexpress shit with new sticker
thank you for your help

Okay cyberpunk, it has raytracing, do you care about that? Yes, no?
Also price difference of 100 euros, which models from either card?

Is the 5700 XT thicc II a decent card? It’s the cheapest non reference XT I can find here

Sup, I'm due for an upgrade of my i5 2500 system from 2011.
I was thinking Ryzen 3600X because I want to try AMD and it seems the best bang for the buck.
I will be using it to play games at 1440p.
Is it a good choice? If so, what motherboard under 200€ do you suggest? Historically I've always used MSI boards and I like their products/support.
I just don't want any firmware/bios issues.

For now I will keep my R9 390 Nitro because it still kicks ass and GPUs prices are a shitshow right now. For RAM, are there sticks of proven compatibility with such a system?

Thanks

raytracing is still a meme, probably 40XX cards will be utilizing it fully, if memetracing will be relevant then
if any1 is wondering about buying card with raytracing purely for raytracing, i'd advise to wait until doom and see how it fares there

I’m sure it’s a fine card the MSI one, I personally only buy EVGA cards for anything Nvidia because their customer service has done well by me over the years. AIB cards like that are pretty much all about the cooler since the drivers are all from Nvidia. As for the monitor I only get panels listed on displaylag. I thought it was a meme but going from some cheap panel that was 5ms to a 1ms panel made a real perceptible difference.

If it fits I guess it should be alright.

I don't care about raytracing at all
The models are asus and sapphire, only ones they have.

Can ram go as fast as possible as long as you lower the timings enough? e.g. default 3000 cl15 can even go to 4000 cl20?
Also, would it be better to get something like 3333 CL16, or 3200 CL16 that has a better die?
And ballistix sport vs hyperx fury/predator?

If you’re thinking of a 3600x, the 3600 autoboosts to the same preset and is typically $40 cheaper. With that money saved, you can use it to buy a much better CPU cooler and get the same performance at cooler temps.

If you like MSI and feel comfortable enough with technology, most of the MSI B450 boards have bios flashback so you can update them for Ryzen 3000. Those boards, in particular the Tomahawk is around $115 USD, not sure what euro prices are.

If you don’t want to deal with that, this looks like an ok board for its price, pcpartpicker.com/product/LcYQzy/gigabyte-x570-ud-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-ud . Looks like it has a ton of VRM and there is only one extra eight pin connector in the top corner unlike most boards that have an eight plus a second four pin next to it.

Not sure what the point would be if you lower the timings. I know if you have two sets of same speed ram, the ones with lower cas would perform faster all things considered.

I’d get the ballistix since Crucial is just micron and you’re guaranteed E-die with their newer kits.

>2060 Super vs 5700XT

Alternatively I could go for a budget GPU, such as Polaris and wait for the full range of cards to be released next year?

based

Air or water cooling for cpu?

What’s the different versions of the die of RAM and what’s the differences between them ?

Has anyone actually had a grey-market Windows 10 key disabled? I see lots of sites selling keys at ~£20, but there are a bunch going as low as ~£3, which would save more but makes me suspicious.

Still trying to get an understanding of the nuances and details for putting components together. What are the differences between B450s, X470s, and X570s when choosing a 3700X or in general? I think I read that B450 doesn't support 3rd Gen without a BIOS update, so should I just look up a guide on how to do this? If I don't go for an X570, do I lose the benefits of an NVMe M.2 SSD, or does it not matter if my purpose for the PC is general use and on-off gaming where I'm not going to be pushing it hard for data transfer?

2060 Super or 5700XT

Or should I settle for a cheap card and wait for next year?

Attached: amd-vs-nvidia.jpg (745x450, 79K)

Nope, never had one disabled. But if you are worried you can also still upgrade for free I believe from Win7 if you have an extra 30 minutes to install that first and use this specific upgrade tool go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=822784

>raytracing is still a meme
There is one game out now that isn't a meme and makes a big visual difference and it runs pretty well on current hardware.
youtube.com/watch?v=blbu0g9DAGA
But that's just one game and there is no guarantee that there will be enough games like it to make it worth it, or if cyberpunk will have a as good or better implementation of it.

if you don't care about ray tracing as a bonus then why is it even a question for you?
I mean 2070 super has bit more performance, so at the very least the price difference would go down form 100 to 70-45. But then you are left with at best case 45euro price difference and you mainly get raytracing for it.
If it's not something you are interested in I really don't understand why you even wonder about 2070 super and don't just get the 5700xt?

>The models are asus and sapphire, only ones they have.
That's not models though, that's fucking brands.
It's like asking what kind of car you have and all you can say is "it's a Volkswagen"

As far as I know MSI cards are considered the be the best ones among the b450s, and a lot of them support bios flashback, which lets you update the bios without a cpu. Tomahawk max works with 3000s out of the box. The image shows which mobos have a flashback feature.
I think most if not all 400s have an nvme m.2 slot so you shouldn't be losing out on anything, fairly easy to check on a website for yourself.

Attached: 1542714803372.png (1138x5064, 957K)

What games do you play.
Do you care about raytracing?

5700XT is trash in being stable, go for 2060 super

why not both?

>one game
that's why it's a meme, when we'll get more games it'll make more sense to get rt

Doesn't that still require a valid Windows 7 licence?

>I really don't understand why you even wonder about 2070 super and don't just get the 5700xt?
there are still drivers problems and you can't dive in some places in witcher 3 since navi just crashes there
so you pay bit more for stability right now, but imagine having shitshow with drivers like this during cp2077 premiere
and it's not first time amd has problem with drivers

>3600
Thing is, back then I went for a 2500 instead of a 2500k and I regretted that. I've kept my CPU for more than 8 years, so the 30€ difference is not a big deal, but I will definitely keep that in mind.
I will get a cooler nonetheless (I have a big ass one, but kind of a no name brand and I suppose it will not be compatible, nor will I find adaptors).

>B450
Flashing a BIOS update is not a problem, but do I need an old Ryzen to do that? If so, that's a problem and I'd need a X570. What about MSI X570-A PRO ? It rocks a
>double CPU pin
but I need to upgrade my PSU too anyway, this one is a shitty 8 y/o bronze corsair.

Thanks for the tips user, already very useful.

If I play games like baldurs gate, never winter nights, anno 1503 - are these the sorts of old games that arnt supported by new AMD cards?

>that's why it's a meme,
There is more games with ray tracing, but I personally feel that there is currently only one game that both makes a visual wow, in terms of difference, and performance is pretty good.
I mainly point to it to say that look there is an example of something good in terms of raytracing.
I would never reccomend people buy RTX just for one game.
Ideally youd need at least 10 or more games with this level of quality or better.

>there are still drivers problems and you can't dive in some places in witcher 3 since navi just crashes there
Didn't know about that, I mainly looked into old game compatability issues with AMD.
But since you said you only care about the newest games like cyberpunk I assumed this issue is not something that effects you and thus the 5700xt seemed more like a no brainer for you.

explain
explain
explain
explain
explain

Yeah, I was wondering how you update the BIOS without a CPU functioning, so I guess that flashback feature is what I need to look for if I opt for a B450. Maybe I'll just be lazy and shoot for something compatible with 3rd gen out the box.

Yeah, disregard my concern about the X570. I was confusing the new PCIe 4.0 and M.2 slots thinking they were related, not realizing sites were talking about an add-in M.2 reader inserted into the 4.0 slot, which seems really unnecessary.

>But since you said you only care about the newest games like cyberpunk I assumed this issue is not something that effects you and thus the 5700xt seemed more like a no brainer for you
question is, will amd not fuck drivers for game on witcher engine, which is a problem for them now
also there are problems with 5700xt and 1080p gaming, where it slows down in this resolution, another issue with drivers
ofc green fags can also fuck shit up with drivers, but rn they win in terms of stability with navi
>Do not buy MSI vibrators!
cooling is shitty, you'll burn your anus

pcpartpicker.com/list/27tRsk
1080@144 maybe 1440@144
Anything I should change? Will be probably ordering tomorrow.
How's the red dragon compare? It's 8$ more, but has only two fans so it'll probably be quieter.
The 550 PSU should be fine right? I thought before about 32gb of ram and estimated wattage came to 399, so I was on the fence, but now it's lower.

Give this a read, techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/3.html
Air coolers are much better these days. Extreme overclocking go water, but if you want lower noise air is best since you don’t have a pump going all the time.
M.2 is a form factor for NVMe ssd. All current and chipsets will support it. In a nutshell X570 is the newest and the big selling point is PCIe 4.0. It’s not useful for video cards yet, maybe 4-5 years down the line but really shines in moving massive files at up to 5GB per second. Most people will never use this.

Then there is X470, it has PCIe 3.0 which is the current standard for games and graphics cards. The big selling point here is SLI support(X570 has SLI as well) and typically since these boards are higher end you’ll have more USB ports and stuff on the I/O.

If you don’t plan on buying two video cards, B450 is the same as X470 with less USB ports on the back but you save more money.

Attached: DCCFE62F-7866-4187-8CFF-5A866B2F1647.jpg (1200x778, 92K)

is ryzen 7 3700x necessary for 1440p 144Hz? i'm thinking about similar set, but i settled for 5 3600, don't think 8c/16 will do much difference before 6c/12t will not be enough for gaming, especially in higher resolutions

It does but that itself is easy enough to get. Either you have one or you can use something like the HP ISO floating around which automatically activates. Upgrade it to Win10, add microsoft account, reinstall from scratch if you don't trust the originally downloaded HP ISO. Win10 will still be on your Microsoft Account.

>Not stable

Really, what do you mean?

VR gaming, F1 2019. I've not PC gamed in a while, so I don't really know. But I will be getting an Oculus Rift.

Ray Tracing is going to be shit this time round, so it's not that important to me.

It'll be connected to a 4k TV, but I'm happy to play at 1080p instead.

>Really, what do you mean?
BSOD, crashing in witcher 3, crashing during browsing internet
drivers problem, if you have time you can sit and wait, until it's solved and then get 5700xt, given nothing new happens on the market or with drivers

>is ryzen 7 3700x necessary for 1440p 144Hz?
As far as I know, not really, but I'm running a 4690k and it's been annoying me not being able to handle a game and some other apps being open at the same time, so I'm kind of scarred against having a weak cpu. Since by the time I'll be buying a new one DDR5 will likely be out and I'll need to get a mobo and ram too.

Buying myself a new PC. I currently have an R9 280, so I can't really wait I don't think? Or would that be enough to get going with VR?

All AMD chips are unlocked for overclocking, unlike intel and its K designator. If you’re worried, give this video a watch, they’re functionally the same chip. youtu.be/rDV7aA6arVo

For bios flashback, you just load the new bios on a usb thumb drive(be sure to follow MSI’s instructions to the letter, even capitalization), plug that into your motherboard and connect the main 24pin cable and I think the eight pin as well. This can be done without installing the cpu.

Hard to say
>question is, will amd not fuck drivers for game on witcher engine, which is a problem for them now
As there is no guarantee that it will fuck things up or that it wont.
Why not just wait until cyberpunk is out and see what people with both hardware have to provide in terms of tests?
Or is waiting not an option for you?
In any case I don't like assumptions and guesses, and highly prefer actual tests on which to base a purchase/recommendation.

Sounds like you should look into how VR is with nvidia/amd and make your decision based on that.

>All AMD chips are unlocked for overclocking
Except their gpus, but lets forget about that.

Attached: product segmentation.png (1920x1080, 838K)

Really appreciate this. With these differences, it seems like B450 is a pretty clear choice between the three just because SLI is still a meme last I checked (65% improvement?). Guess I need to determine how many USB slots I'm even using right now to get an idea of my needs for the I/O.

Give me the quick rundown on AMD drivers, i've always used nvidia before.

Attached: 1552701674785.gif (80x160, 8K)

does it matter which network card i get?

they seem to vary a lot in price, but i don't have very fast internet anyway

powerline adapters or ethernet cables aren't practical for me right now

Nice cherry picking since the second half of that sentence mentions intel and they don’t make GPUs just yet :^)

Here is what I got.

KOTOR 1 - Vega56 and 5700xt Can't use frame-buffer effects(which are responsible for stealth effects being actually transparent and other visual effects) and soft shadows can't be used otherwise the game crashes and there is no fix for this. 2070super worked with no issues.
Witcher1- Framerate dips/stutters on vega 56. No such issues on the 5700xt were observed, however all the fonts in the game were noticeable visually glitched. On 2070super there was no font glitches. Frametimes on 2070 super and 5700xt on windows 10 are about equal. Best performance over all goes to 970 on windows7.
Quantum Break-On vega56(but not on 5700xt) the GPU remains underutilized, over all performance is lower than expected and there is stutter in frametimes. 2060 on the other hand provided better performance and more smooth frametimes(take from internet results, not personal tests) (Talking about a 2060 having stable 60fps while a vega 64 was struggling to get stable 40fps.) 2070super provided tighter frametime groups and better performance by about 16fps across the board. Refer to frametime graphs.
Vampyr- Frametime is unstable when moving in between areas (approximate distance is 10-20m) noticeable stutter that dips well below 30 fps. Same issues were on the 2070super. Possibly a windows 10 issue. A nvidia 970 gave better frametimes and better over all performance.
Sacrifice-Both on vega 56 and on 5700xt, very stuttery frametimes. 2070 super gives pretty good frametimes(no frames rendered below 60 fps) but still some minor stutter that most users wont care about.
Generals and Generals Zero hour- So such issues on 5700xt or 2070super.

The tests on vega 56 were tested on both windows 7 and 10. R5 2600 CPU.
The tests on 5700xt were done on windows 10. R5 2600 CPU.

Obviously I'm not telling you to care about these games, but if you do, here is some info on it.

Attached: work in progress6.jpg (9800x4344, 3.82M)

So I should get an nvidia card if I play A LOT of old games?