GNU's Former Kernel Maintainer Shares 'A Reflection on the Departure of Richard Stallman'

> There has been some bad reporting, and that's a problem. While I have not waded through the entire email thread Selam G. has posted, my reaction was that RMS did not defend Epstein, and did not say that the victim in this case was acting voluntarily. But it's not the most important problem.
> This was an own-goal for RMS. He has had plenty of opportunities to learn how to stfu when that's necessary. He's responsible for relying too much on people's careful reading of his note
> Minsky was his friend for many many years, and I think he carries a lot of affection and loyalty for his memory. But Minsky is also dead, and there's plenty of time to discuss at leisure whatever questions there may be about his culpability. RMS treated the problem as being "let's make sure we don't criticize Minsky unfairly", when the problem was actually, "how can we come to terms with a history of MIT's institutional neglect of its responsibilities toward women and its apparent complicity with Epstein's crimes".
> While it is true we should not treat Minsky unfairly, it was not -- and is not -- a pressing concern, and by making it his concern, RMS signaled clearly that it was much more important to him than the question of the institution's patterns of problematic coddling of bad behavior.
> Minsky was RMS's protector for a long long time. He created the AI Lab, where I think RMS found the only happy home he ever knew. He kept the rest of the Institute at bay and insulated RMS from attack (as did other faculty that also had befriended RMS). I was around for most of the 90s, and I can confirm the unfortunate reality that RMS's behavior was a concern at the time, and that this protection was itself part of the problem...
> But Bushnell concludes that "It is time for the free software community to leave adolescence and move to adulthood, and this requires leaving childish tantrums, abusive language, and toxic environments behind."

Attached: image.jpg (2208x1242, 771K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.today/2019.09.22-040701/https://medium.com/@thomas.bushnell/a-reflection-on-the-departure-of-rms-18e6a835fd84
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Bushnell
sterling-archermedes.github.io/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Post the source retard

>no sources
>literally none
i agree with him though, i hope more people read this

Sorry, forgot source because of post length limits.

archive.today/2019.09.22-040701/https://medium.com/@thomas.bushnell/a-reflection-on-the-departure-of-rms-18e6a835fd84

> It is time for the free software community to leave adolescence and move to adulthood, and this requires leaving childish tantrums, abusive language, and toxic environments behind.

The "toxic environments" are originating from twitter and not from Stallman.
Nice victim blaming bro!
What a piece of shit...

I don't like Stallman, but there is something really disgraceful about putting a knife in someone's back when he already has 8

Everybody is furiously stuffing skeletons back into their closets so they don’t get canceled. It’s nothing more than a distraction.

>medium.com
>we
>the free software community
What a joke. Get rekt Thomas.

>4) RMS’s loss of MIT privileges and leadership of the FSF are the appropriate responses to a pattern of decades of poor behavior. It does not matter if they are appropriate responses to a single email thread, because they are the right thing in the total situation.
Wut

The ends justify the means.

>but it’s still very sad. As far as I can tell, he believes his entire life’s work is a failure

Suicide is RMS' only option.

"Where is the objection? We are all mortal. For all of us it is only a matter of time. And this way you go with honour"

Servius
63 BC

I wonder when this shit will finally end. It's not going to for at least a few years, because it's barely begun to get criticized by comedians at this point.

In spite of my dislike for FSF and RMS, I’d be sad to see that happen.

>> But Bushnell concludes that "It is time for the free software community to leave adolescence and move to adulthood, and this requires leaving childish tantrums, abusive language, and toxic environments behind."
So Free Software is no longer Free as in Free Speech.

The end being them getting their way, I assume?

Yes

Attached: geroj_praljak.jpg (442x509, 27K)

>To my shame I didn’t recognize the dynamic myself when I was around it. I thought he was trying to be charming and witty, and I knew it weirded many out. But at the time I didn’t put that together with what it would be like for women who were weirded out or alienated, who felt threatened, etc.
we should ruin this faggots life as well for being complicit.
silence is complicity. thomas is a pedo too. the media has to find out anons ... lets get the ball rolling. lets accuse everyone of rape and pedophillia. EVERYONE has to resign. reset the fucking system kek.

IF RMS GOES THEY ALL GO

In other words RMS should have stfu.

that's what i meant. thomas was complicit and now wants to be ahead of the curve as he knows that he's guilty as well. 'i'm ashamed...' that's fucking preemptive damage control. EVERYONE HAS TO GO! they were all raping poor women at MIT.

MSM is NYPA. Without that fake news platform, you are getting nowhere.

>As far as I can tell, he believes his entire life’s work is a failure.
lmao

He's so fucking conceited too.

Most of the world isn't using entirety libre computers, and that's a failure as much as it isn't an absolute victory. RMS was always of the opinion that anything less wouldn't be good enough.
But at the same time most companies and people directly benefit from 'open source' and software is the last remaining meritocracy where the secrets of the trade aren't locked away in universities and laboratories. You don't need a degree on computer shit to get a job programming, and that's one of the side effects of the free software movement.

tl;dt another backstabber?

>toxic environments
i threw up a little

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Bushnell

So it comes down to sour grapes.

imagine lying about being homosexual and dying your hair blue even though you hate it just so you can say that roses are red on the internet without your life ending

He's a big old autist, that would've never computed with him anyway.
It's a miracle he lasted this long being how he is, in a world that is ruled by politics on so many levels.

It's not like he had any job in the industry. There were ideological reasons to not stfu and compromises would have been sad.

>gregorian friar
so pedo ...

>complaining about pedos on Jow Forums - techloligy

>Google employee

Hi Sarah.

hi :*

An example of that typical same old pedo "manipulation".
>we've always been here
>you need us to keep out the normies
etc..
It's clearly worse than before 8ch died, where all your kind hid, saying the same bullshit.
Not sure why you keep trying to normalize your existence. You ruin everything by simply existing and associating yourself with things or groups. It's a deathmark. One only you deserve.

Attached: 0f65e8b520ed7f1b17d932396f21953f008e3d934e1cb63cfbe53188b88584f7.jpg (752x680, 356K)

This. I hope they reopen infinitychan so that all the refugees could go back to their honeypot. It’s kinda telling that 8gag was made for the reason that Jow Forums wasn’t edgy enough.

>dogpiling social normalcy on autism

Why are liberals so bigoted towards autism?

He's 100% in the right until his last gay literal virtue signaling comment at the end.

If you can't see something, it doesn't exist. That's why women, trans, people of color, or someone in a wheelchair etc. are recognized and people with mental, social or other problems are ignored.

>he's right, people should be silent sheeps all the time, especially when other people could listen

tl;dr version: you're not allowed to be autistic anymore in the free software community.

only charismatic neurotypicals who understand all social nuances and cues allowed

Choose your battles wisely and don't choose to die on a hill protecting an alleged pedophile while the institution you work for is already in hot water for being very, very, very associated with Epstein and by doing this you will bring way more attention to it.

It was made because the admins on Jow Forums were being more and more Jow Forumsedditarded and less and less like Jow Forums admins. Nowadays the admins are purely tumblrtards (I mean legit, "I went to tumblr and put some recruitment ads"-tumblrtards not "they act like they're on tumblr even though they're from Jow Forums"-tumblrtards) and act as such.
The problem is that the moderation model on 8ch was infinitely (haha) worse because letting people make their own boards and use 1st mover advantage to harass any board that may compete with them is surprisingly not a good idea, who would've thunk.

So once society gets riled up and gathering pitch forks against everyone we should just stfu and let then destroy/ruin the legacy of anyone the mob pleases?!?!

>Sure there was a coordinated hitsquad of journalists who failed to do their job on even the most basic level and that grave error has warped many people's opinions on the subject
>But the important thing is that WE IGNORE THAT AND DOUBLE DOWN BECAUSE THE GUY WHO'S LIFE GOT RUINED DOESN'T AGREE PERFECTLY WITH ME
Nah, I'm done. There's no civil discussion to be had anymore, these things have forsaken their humanity and reason. The only way to stop this shit is pure violence, and I genuinely hope that when the bullets start flying, this sniveling pile of worm shit gets to spend his last moments on earth in pain and fear.

Can you stop being a dramatic faggot? No...we shouldn't allow that, but at least know the time and place. That's not to say that Stallman defending Minsky is wrong, but if he wanted to keep his employment with MIT then he could've chosen a better and less autistic manner than on the listserv and at that particular time.

He says it here:
> While it is true we should not treat Minsky unfairly, it was not -- and is not -- a pressing concern, and by making it his concern, RMS signaled clearly that it was much more important to him than the question of the institution's patterns of problematic coddling of bad behavior.

This happened to him because of his own autistic stubbornness.

this

>I was around for most of the 90s, and I can confirm the unfortunate reality that RMS's behavior was a concern at the time, and that this protection was itself part of the problem
What the fuck was Stallman doing?
I've heard a lot of allegation about "problematic" behaviour. No speciifics. No evidence. No incidents?
Was he smelly and fat? Is that your problematic behavior?
Did he routinely molest and assault women who wandered into the MIT AI lab? Is that your problematic behavior?

The shamelessness of the gossip and innuendo that is being thrown about, with no evidence, is absolutely disgusting.
It's 21st century, Internet enabled character assassination and people are lining up to join the mob. The whole world is being turned into some backward medieval village where we burn people for sport. RMS needs to lawyer up and have his day in fucking court.

Attached: Witchcraft_at_Salem_Village.jpg (2356x1637, 1.17M)

Nice victim blaming, faggot.

The starving children of Africa is a more pressing problem than what you're currently talking about, so I hope you've already resigned from your job.

Suddenly there are a lot of questionable people "confirming" his "bad behavior" that lead to a "toxic environment".

Always make sure to check their background.

>if he wanted to keep his employment with MIT then he could've chosen a better and less autistic manner than on the listserv and at that particular time.
He's a professor in a fucking university jackass.
You're telling me they don't discuses controversial topics all the time anyway?
I trawl the MIT email servers I'll get threads about everything from abortions to Ayatollahs no question. You _know_ I'll get theads about AI making flyovers unemployable, genetic manipulation of humans for god only knows what ends.

MIT guys who flew to Epstein's island, slept with girls, snorted who knows what, took his money, all walk. But Stallman gets fired for some bullshit. Fuck you.

Attached: CsOBOLYYTy_1394811469303.jpg (1024x768, 133K)

>It is time for the free software community to leave adolescence and move to adulthood, and this requires leaving childish tantrums, abusive language, and toxic environments behind

or they could just wind the clock back to when this sort of drama didn't interfere with software engineering. say what you want about the old boys club, but goddamn did they produce some great code and didn't waste their time on this bullshit.

Free speech is now considered a Nazi dogwhistle, don't you know? We're approaching levels of clown world previously thought to be impossible.

You respond like SJWs

Dude, use some common fucking sense. Stallman is employed by the university and he is representing the university. The university wants to separate themselves as far as possible from Epstein which is getting increasing difficult to do. Stallman arguing the semantics of pedophilia is not helping. Anyone who can't see the consequence of this must be servely autistic.

Some advice: normal people, not just SJWs, tend to react sharply to the idea of a man fucking an underage girl.

>MIT guys who flew to Epstein's island, slept with girls, snorted who knows what, took his money, all walk

So, literally Minsky, who Stallman was defending?

You literally have no clue about the situation and are only parroting the mass media lies. There was 0 ambiguity in stallman's emails, the mass media isn't even properly misconstruing what he said, they're downright lying. The whole point of universities is to protect the profs from that bullshit otherwise science is at the mercy of morals and the people's ideals, which is bad for science. The fact MIT couldn't do it means MIT should not be trusted with any science.

user you're still talking about something when there are far more important things to talk about. If you haven't resigned and addressed these things then you obviously don't believe in the very principles you're defending.
It's that simple.

>MIT guys who flew to Epstein's island, slept with girls, snorted who knows what, took his money, all walk.
Names user.

Everyone who ever tried to work with Stallman, from Jamie Zawinski to Matthew Garrett to brother Thomas here, recognizes him for the piece of shit he is. Talent and vision are no substitute for basic human decency.

Spreading the red pill sterling-archermedes.github.io/index.html

>You don't need a degree on computer shit to get a job programming, and that's one of the side effects of the free software movement.
Yes because without RMS nobody would ever release open source or even consider it, he invented the idea of sharing your code with other people

Then why the fuck did Bushnell "worked for RMS longer than any other programmer."

If he didn't like the guy, why does he sit around and benefit from his work? Then the hate mob shows up and suddenly "appropriate responses to a pattern of decades of poor behavior" and "The end result here, while sad for him, is correct."

No, sorry guy, you can't separate your self from this mess with social signaling. You spent your life there. When the misandrist cunt squad arrives to your nerd cave, every nerd who just witnessed their heroes get utterly eviscerated tries to suck up to the new power. Think again faggot. If you have a penis, not even chopping it off will save you, it will only spread the contagion. These are militant feminists. It's in the name. They don't want equality, they want women in charge of everything and to "punish" the powerful men.

The only way is to ignore these cunts when they come to shake up your nerd havens. What the fuck is FSF without our toe fungus eating champion? Why have him resign? You might as well dissolve it.

yes

Nobody ever liked him

Not just sharing code, but a legal apparatus to prevent companies from coming and stealing it out from under you.

I think people are allowing RMS to be crucified because that legal framework has been out of date for some time. It was made for desktop and server programs, and didn't work well for web and mobile.

Doesn't matter, no one who is so stupidly impressionable as to believe that Stallman did anything wrong in the first place will read all of that, and even if they did they'll only sit there thinking "what bullshit, this guy DEFENDED PEDOPHILIA and anyone who says otherwise must be lying."
You can't reason with the unreasonable.

How's it going Sarah?

I never liked you and I'm pretty sure that I'll find 5 more people who also never liked you. You're cancelled, kys.

But you can try.

both sides of this debate own-goaled and expected the audience to cheer. Absolutely remarkable.

(You)

They liked his power.
He stood up to the software giants and won.

They liked the money.
Working in his foundation and his lab.

Everyone seems to like shitposting on the internet. Good luck doing any of that without RMS's contributions.

The thing that really pisses me off is that smelly, fat nerds are the ones who actually make computers work. Now all these shitty hipsters are filling up the tech institutions and fucking up everything. "There's no way to do that."

this
twitter and medium articles are the one who came in saying down with all the old white men and clueless white nerds. twitter is ridiculous.

No. One side own goaled. "Right-wingers" are much more afraid of the institutional power of leftists than they are being seen as traitors to other "right-wingers", and leftists will downright castrate themselves in order to display loyalty to the mob.

What do they mean by his "behavior"? He's just an autist. When did he ever do anything wrong?

fine, you? :*

>Thomas Bushnell
>is employed by Google LLC
hmm... also:
>is a software developer and Gregorian friar
lmaoing @ Christians who support this bullshit.

This is mostly agreeable in a public venue context, but this commentary ignores the fact of where it took place: academia. Colleges and other places of learning are supposed to allow discourse of varying quality for the sake of evaluation and analysis. If you can't argue everything regardless of merit, then institutions of higher learning are not fulfilling their purpose.

Attached: 1568331292374.jpg (974x1280, 128K)

the world ended in 2012 and now we're in the bizarro timeline

It's still obviously not agreeable in public contexts either, it's just way worse in the context of academia.

The behavior they're referring to is some #metoo shit some "victims" of him posted on twitter. Things like having a mattress in the office (he slept there). There even was a women which claimed RMS asked her for a date and everyone yelled and cried SEXUAL HARASSMENT

These people make a collection of nothings and call it unacceptable somethings.

If you look and smell and act like Stallman, just being in the same building as a woman is a form of sexual harassment.

>defending a dead man's name
>gets thrown under the bus by coke snorting pedos from MIT
MIT is fucked if the only man with values was the autistic install gentoo man

This guy was in charge of GNU/HURD. He spent several years in the late 90's making virtually no progress before being fired for incompetence. He is likely partially at fault for the kernel being unfinished after 30 years.

>He's responsible for relying too much on people's careful reading of his note
yes, its his fault that people blatently lie about what he said
what a piece of shit.

>goddamn did they produce some great code
no

Sad part is that even though this has higher standards than probably 90% of the press today (citing sources not taking out of context etc) and completely BTFOs the press most people will simply ignore it because being outraged at something is more important, having bad guys and good guys, not mundane stuff like someone being reasonable.
the only thing that might change it, in my opinion is shoddy "journalism" causing harm to masses not just one person or the big igloo.

Attached: 1568931155391.jpg (600x552, 36K)

>militant feminists
yes please

Attached: 24810034078_bd85a1481e_b.jpg (1024x876, 152K)

It will end when they have their own Emmitt Till moment.

>tfw no ypg gf

Militant feminists, not military females.
One fights for the sake of their country, the other fights for the sake of their cunt.

This.

Stallman is the kind of autistic retard to go "....acshually" about everything fucking pedantic detail on a subject he has barely any knowledge of l. No matter what, he has to chime in even when he knows he should keep is mouth fucking shut.

I had him for a conference once, and the list of absolute dogshit garbage you have to follow to coddle his autism is mind boggling. He needs to be able to walk barefeet everywhere. He needs Pepsi because Coke treats their Bolivian employees unfairly. There's of course the issue of how much he wants per talk too.

And what do you get for your troubles? Some fat retard telling you how Linux. Where the fuck is the HURD kernel you dumb piece of shit? Go fuck yourself.

his crime is being unattractive.

That's some incel tier logic, user.