Installed ubuntu on my shitty macbook air, im surprised how good stuff runs on it now

installed ubuntu on my shitty macbook air, im surprised how good stuff runs on it now
what distros are you using Jow Forums?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-22 logo2 jpg (JPEG Image, 1920 × 1080 pixels) - Scaled (47%).png (917x515, 83K)

Ubuntu MATE on my main desktop, Debian 10 on my main laptop, and still undecided about my second laptop (probably Debian or Manjaro).

Xubuntu because I can't stand GNOME
settling on *buntu is the final redpill

Get Manjaro KDE Plasma instead. Ubuntu sucks and GNOME is even worse

Arch with i3wm for me since it's minimal and fast

I only use Ubuntu and just switch around between DE's, so sometimes I'm on regular Ubuntu, sometimes Xubuntu, Kubuntu or Mint

>refined desktop experience after 15 years of development by a real company BAD
>green theme GOOD

Dualbooting Arch and Void Linux.
Using Arch for everyday use and Void for learning and experimenting.

Attached: arch.jpg (2048x1152, 660K)

For me its Clear GNU, the GNU OS from Intel™

>Intel™
did they make drivers for linux?

Manjaro Xfce, Mint Xfce and Xubuntu

I use Ubuntu on my MacBook too because of great support. Though, I needed to install mbpfan or something like that, to have dynamic fan speed

Trying to switch to Mint before trying Arch. Is the Arch meme real? Do the updates really break the OS?

Attached: 1555977630282.jpg (369x387, 24K)

Systemd, kernel and nvidia drivers are probably related with 90% of things that break on Arch these days. I don't use Arch(used to in the past) but I would not upgrade any of those till I have confirmation they're working fine. Check their forums and see there's no "systemd just broke xyz". Check the arch news for stuff you have to manually fix and don't forget to check the wiki about .pacnew files.

It happens on every OS if you install the latest and untested updates. Look at the current state of windows 10.

babbys first loonix

>*has monitor covered in tin foil*
>*opens blinds every 30 minutes to check for mechanical spy birds*

I run Arch and Mint on different machines. Yes, Arch tends to have more bugs or take more time to configure properly. With Arch you are signing up to be a beta tester for more stable distributions.

Fedora 30 with GNOME + Wayland out of the box

Attached: images_9.jpg (359x538, 23K)

Also for people who want to get work done instead of "ricing" to show off to desktop threads/reddit.

sometimes Amazon uses three of my ports at once. i wish they would at least ask first. its very bothersome.

Attached: maxresdthrtefault.jpg (1280x720, 69K)

Yeah, then spending half a day removing all of the Ubuntu's bloatware and shitty theming, to make it run and look like a semidecent uncucked distro

Attached: 1542368567628.png (664x520, 177K)

"Ubuntu" in the African dialect means "Amazon's Dialated Twink Bitch"

its an acronym, it stands for

Ugandan
Binary
Universal
Network
Traversing
Uninstaller

IME it's all down to your use of AUR and DE/WM. Use AUR sparingly and keep a DE/WM that is minimal in nature and conservative in development. If you do this, Arch will feel like a stable distro and you won't have to do more than minor fire fighting once a year or so (like any non-LTS distros).

Meanwhile if you've decided to use some huge bitch like GNOME and running anything off the AUR that strikes your fancy, you will get the meme Arch experience of monthly breakage at-best. In all honesty, there's no point in running Arch like this unless you're putting it in a container and using it for testing like Rawhide or Suse Factory.

Debian 10 with i3

Is there any point to using GNU/Linux if you're just an average normie user? I use virtual machines for fun, but I don't know if it would be practical to use GNU/Linux as my main OS.

Based Finn/Eesti bro

on older hardware yeah

Man FUCK redhat. I’d rather switch back to windows than use a gnome-based distro.

well, that is usually how it goes when you put Ubuntu on something that is not a pentium with 1GB of ram

If you like the look and feel of MacOS, I wold suggest trying out Deepin or Manjaro Deepin.

If you don't mind doing some tweaking, Plasma is THE MOST flexible desktop ever. It can be make to look and feel very Mac-like, or Windows like, or Unity-like, or however you want. In which case, try out Manjaro Plasma or Kubuntu (which is what I'm using).

Some people like Elementary, but it's basically Gnome with most of your customization options taken away, and windows don't have minimize buttons (?).

If you want something that's super fast, and yet still pretty dang flexible, go with Xubuntu or Manjaro XFCE.

Attached: 123.png (1920x1080, 1.54M)

Its very easy to customise to your exact liking and you can have universal dark mode for absolutely everything, which windows still doesn't have, its far less bloated which makes everything feel faster, especially on weak hardware

A lot of the annoying niggles from win10, like the battle to disable cortana and not being able to natively rebind keyboard buttons or set proper shortcuts aren't present, you have much freer access to edit stuff that windows tries to hide away, like setting battery thresholds and fan curves in firmware with cfg files instead of relying on the craptastic tools your motherboard's bios may or may not have or using software that had to constantly run in the background of windows and breaks every update
Vidya gaming is also very good now, with most popular games and the big titles of the past now running very well through steams compatibility tool thing, really good emulators for past console games and a lot of indy shit being natively playable

The only reason not to switch completely is if you pay some modern games that have online drm, which don't typically work through the compatibility layer, or you can't be bothered spending the half hour or so it takes to familiarise yourself with the initial learning curve inherent in switching operating system

Just don't go with a meme distro and the experience now is great, even printers work now and printers barely work in windows

>What is ubuntu minimal install

pretty much anything is better than the shitheap that is pajeetOS
but you can do a lot better than udindu

Attached: 1552197393885.jpg (622x938, 100K)