Motherboards with built-in Wi-Fi Antennas

Why do such few new motherboards have built-in Wi-Fi Antennas like pic related?

I'm planning a new built and plan on getting such a motherboard. I tired of 3rd party antennas not working probably.

Can you recommend me some for the newer Intel and AMD Generations?

Attached: wifi.png (792x508, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/p/N82E16856158064
asrock.com/mb/Intel/X299E-ITXac/index.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>desktop
>wifi
What is the point?
Just get a long rj45 and a decent Ethernet switch.

>wires
Dude, it's almost 2020. Wires are so outdated.

Attached: 1508501170762.png (1600x900, 875K)

Use powerline ethernet.

Attached: 61TmFR1IELL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 105K)

Sorry I forgot to say, that I live in a old house with literally no ethernet ports at all

I didn't hear much good about it.
Also

my isp gave me a pair of wireless bridges for free, just the thing for installing freedom-firmware impaired distros

Decent bait yet no replies. Honestly feel bad for you.

because it adds a dollar to the production costs so they have to charge you $50 more

>adds ₵99 leds to mobo
>charges $99 more

This. They're pretty decent desu

I got my current board with WiFi just because of the Bluetooth but I ended up never using either. I recommend you just buy one of those PCI-E to mini PCI-e and slap on a laptop WiFi module. That way you don't have to limit yourself to like 3 mobos. Or just a USB stick if you don't give a damn about speed.

But as others said, just use Ethernet for your connection.

this they awesome, my flat has thicc walls so even though its tiny wifi barely reaches my bedroom. I've got power line adapters and a separate router in my room so have good internet have been using them for years

Attached: 01d6a48ed59f3757dc7932c6951934ca.png (1421x1800, 1.13M)

We do have some for my sisters TV on another story.

I might borrow one and test how good they work

That shit should be banned in any place that gives a slightest damn about radio interference.

I'd say it's because they're not that useful on devices which are meant to be stationary. It's easy (and optimal) to have such devices connected via cable, so paying extra for WiFi hardware would not make sense for most users. WiFi is present on quite a few of the higher end motherboards, but I think that's a "we need to add features to justify the inflated price tag" sort of thing, mostly. I have one of those motherboards for other features I wanted, can't say I really have a use for the WiFi though.

Yes, great idea. Except for the part where your electricity provider can see everything you do online. Scary!

Do you have second floor? Or attic? Put WiFi there. Trust me.

no i live in a flat not a house, the powerlines do like 800mbps anyway and my internet is only like 200

>I tired of 3rd party antennas not working probably.
it's just a piece of conductive metal

try them out itll be way better than wifi

>Wifi meme is the deciding factor on choosing a desktop build
Dumb.
There are enough decent mobos with wifi mobos for any platform.
Or you can just buy a decent pci express adapter

Attached: 81E0K6eTzgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (1500x1325, 149K)

What blows my mind is how much better Apple products are for Wifi. My 2019 XPS can't max out my 300/300 connection upstairs, yet my Ipad from 2017 does it no problem as well as the Apple TV.

Seriously? I've been oblivious to pcie wifi and have been using an old 2.0 USB stick, getting 5MB/s down from our 40~60Mbps provider.
Would one of these be justifiable?

Definitely.

they have a m.2 with a built in antenna jack.

That allows you a few options..

1. in secure environments you can remove the chip in the case of infection it cant take control of the chip
2. you can upgrade to a newer standard like with WPA3 instead of having non chaning hardware that is vulnerable like WPA2
3. you can change proprietary hardware with open

I want less botnet on my board, not more

Just use encryption, turbo normie.

Your ISP can do that too!!!!

Attached: 10-of-the-most-menacing-bugs-alive-today-2.jpg (1920x1080, 220K)

>why do such few new motherboards have built-in Wi-Fi Antennas
Because it's useless in 90% of the use cases. Why would you use crappy wifi on a stationary system? The people that have to because of old buildings or because they are too retarded to use already existing cable ducts to draw in ethernet cables can just use a wifi dongle/card.

Because when people build a desktop they do so for the performance and wifi isn't that. To date the only thing that can even get close to 1Gbps ethernet is 4x4 160MHz 802.11ac wifi and even then you have to be at most a couple feet away from the router and also be in line-of-sight else connection speed drops below 1Gbps fast. This isn't even getting into the latency problem of wifi especially as more devices are connected to the same router.

Most of these motherboard don't even support 2x2 80MHz 802.11ac wifi, just a single stream of it which caps your connection speed to 100-200mbps (router dependent) IF you're again only a couple feet away from the router, in line-of-sight, AND no other device except your computer is connected to it.

For a HTPC this isn't too much of a problem and in fact there are pretty cheap barebone USFF PCs like the $150 AM4 desk mini that come with 802.11ac module + antennas:
newegg.com/p/N82E16856158064

But once you do anything more than your standard HTPC tasks wifi can really bog you down, even 802.11ac in the best scenarios.

Attached: MCS-Index-802.11n.png (1024x837, 207K)

OP here

The one I borrowed works pretty good.

Does anyone have experience with the TP-Link TL-PA4010P ?

Attached: TL-PA4010P.jpg (537x522, 82K)

Even the most cutting edge WiFi is still half duplex

That too, there's only so much TDD can do to mitigate that which actually makes wifi worse than it has to be the more interference/distance there is.

> not networking with lasers

Attached: c.jpg (392x300, 16K)

Don't mind me turning on the fan

Why did they put rice in his hair?

mine uses it for blutooth as well

>I tired of 3rd party antennas not working probably.
They should work fine. The WiFi adapters are just M.2 WiFi cards hidden inside the metal shield that the antenna ports are connected to. So it's just MAIN and AUX.

I myself literally use two stick antennas from a old ass PCIe card on my motherboards WiFi.

Get a motherboard that has WiFi, it's a market, 90% of people won't want WiFi on their desktop, so why include it for increased price?
It's a good thing to have options on the market.

>can't even reach 1GbE
>dude use 1GbE when 10GbE is cheap!
You guys are retards

99% of the time it's the spinning rust sand bagging the shit out of 1Gbps ethernet. These days even chink trash SSDs can do 200-300MB/s at least for a GB or two.

10 GbE is the real meme here. Unless you have a fucking M.2 NVME drive and a 10GbE internet connection it's just a waste of money.

Also see
wifi = bigger meme than 10GbE

Attached: ZomboDroid 22092019124802.jpg (450x434, 53K)

If you meant powerline then yeah this one doesn't do much better than a really good 2.4GHz router/routers.

Attached: trendnet-tpl-420e2k-100612941-orig.jpg (1240x823, 153K)

>desktop
>wifi
Pick one

Attached: 150px-Icon_engineer.jpg (150x150, 6K)

HAHAHA XDD

Have you read a single word in this thread?

>whahhh why don't manufacturers include dogshit slow wifi connectivity with barely 10% the speed of 1 GbE included in 90% of motherboards already
It's a mystery. OP should really just use the wifi cable desu.

Attached: zachqwe1o4w01.jpg (645x773, 62K)

Asus tuf gaming wifi, or if your budget is higher then the Asus strix-e

I can't get shortwave anymore now.

>2x2 160MHz 1.74 Gbps wifi
>actually 1.00 Gbps irl
>actually 0.500 Gbps because most routers don't do 2x2 160MHz MIMO
>actually 0.200 Mbps because overhead/HD/router perf
God I hate wifi.

>Why do such few new motherboards have built-in Wi-Fi Antennas like pic related?
they need a built-in wifi chip, not just the antenna

Because the NIC is a POS

This, usually no better than a $20 usb wifi adapter.

Holy fuck. The absolute state of /g
Alright go and buy a pcie wifi card already. Just make sure it says AC1750 at a MINIMUM.

If you were smart and wanted to future proof you'd buy a AX router and a AX pcie card but this may be out of budget

Based sfp+ poster

Just a fyi DAC has less latency (and is cheaper) so that's what I use in work. Also got one of those 200euro 10gb 4port sfp+ switches for my homelab. Pretty sweet

asrock.com/mb/Intel/X299E-ITXac/index.asp

this

lmao muh audio latency, what on earth are you even saying you retard

Tits or gtfo

DAC =Direct attached copper SFP you stupid zoomer. I was literally talking about networking in a thread ABOUT NETWORKING

I WANT CUNNY!

DAC is pretty limited with cable lengths though.

5 metres not enough? Active DAC goes to 25 metres. Need more? Then get fibre. But that's expensive. 5 metres is plenty for my apartment and a lot more than needed for a home lab half rack

>want desktop in one room
>router is in another room at the nearest cable outlet
>running a wire would mean either knocking out a wall to drill a hole in a floor inside it, or running an ugly wire along a very roundabout path

A terrible argument. Why sacrifice performance just to have 1 less wire in your mess of wires?

Often performs even worse than wifi.

I can nick the fiber cables at work.
Pretty sure fiber is also more energy efficient.

>99% of the time it's the spinning rust sand bagging the shit out of 1Gbps ethernet.
What the fuck are you talking about, none of my spinning rust drives ever fall under 150MB/s while writing

Not everyone has a newly built house with ethernet jacks wired up to every room

Except they do. Spinning rust becomes slower the more full it gets (see rational velodensity). The only solution to this problem is to slam dunk the spinning rust as hard as possible into a nearby trashcan and install an SSD.

why don't PC cases have built in antennas

It's not. Not at all. DAC cable is passive. Active DAC requires power. Fibre requires even more.

>getting a board with a baked in wifi chip that wil be outdated in 2 years
vs
>getting a pcie to m2 adapter and using any notebook wifi card

Not him. But only drives under 1tb with 5400 have that low a read speed even at the centre of the read track.

The real problem with them is that if your not doing big reads or big writes they fall apart. Multiple users reading or writing to them see performance top out at less than 1 megabyte per sec and lots of stalling. If you're the only user and you're using them for big file storage then they're fine. Good wifi AC performance is only 50megabytes/sec anyway

don't buy asus wifi cards, over priced you pay more cause it is asus.it is probably just an intel card with asus driver wraping over it.

Jesus fuck. PC cases are giant metal boxes. Not exactly conducive to reception. External antennae are required