ITT: Software paradigms that have never been beaten

ITT: Software paradigms that have never been beaten

Tracking samples is still the most convenient and intuitive way to make digital music without external or expensive equipment.

Attached: Protracker_3.62_screenshot.png (640x512, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stef.be/bassoontracker
youtube.com/watch?v=8dhWlmxkIqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=iO3CDgDhp6A
16-bits.org/pt.php
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVoRT-Mqwas9gvmCRtOusCQSKNQNf6lTc
ftp.modland.com/pub/documents/nostalgia/misc/
battleofthebits.org/lyceum/View/List of Trackers/
modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=87180
youtube.com/watch?v=GGwiISMBdwc
youtu.be/UKF1AjxiEtw
youtu.be/3zeAetA971o?t=157
modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=170076
youtube.com/watch?v=kJqhjzpq66w
youtube.com/watch?v=DEhbdVYSVMQ
16-bits.org/ft2.php
16-bits.org/index.php
schismtracker.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EJay
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

composing MIDI music has sucked ever since this software which was released in 1995

(it is 16-bit and works on Windows 3.1 through all Windows versions with 16-bit support so its even awesomely coded since it simply works with everything)

Attached: twelve tone.png (640x480, 5K)

A lot of the best software ever written was done for 90s windows and mac systems

It's not intuitive, but it is pretty damn convenient.
Renoise is still the only piece of software I've bought in years.

tracker: milkytracker
midi: anvil studios
suit: reason

prove me wrong

MilkyTracker is basically HD FT2.

Attached: FastTracker_2_screenshot.png (640x400, 12K)

download?

Ableton beats the shit out of trackers. It can be intuitive and fun, and in the end it's more readable than tracker. However., onions are what you are eating. Onions.

When you say onions, do you mean onions or onions?

Does the ejay series count as tracker? It's my favorite music Software.

Attached: ejay_4_techno.jpg (1024x768, 102K)

stef.be/bassoontracker

nah ableton beats it sorry. i even used protracker and buzz back in the day.

Where are my Scream/Impulse Chads at?

>Impulse
muh nigga.
I actually use Schism though since I'm not hardcore enough to run DOSbox. It's cool that there are some guys still updating little bug fixes and whatnot.

Attached: Impulsetracker-2.14.png (640x400, 15K)

I did think about changing to Milky before I noticed Schism. The weird thing is that Milky always produces really garbled samples on my PC but on ProTracker and Schism they're clear as a bell. I guess that should be considered a sign.

>posting the screenshot with a Jogeir mod loaded
nice, this strokes me the right way

'Nearly There...' is probably still my favourite MOD file.

I can't really pick one over the other from his work, they are all awesome

I find that Schism has, by far, the best official documentation. Both in the program itself and also the PDF which even throws in some music theory for good measure.

the tracker editing model will never be beaten
the vi editing model will never be beaten either
pic related

Attached: ableton.png (1280x720, 376K)

youtube.com/watch?v=8dhWlmxkIqQ

I feel like the explanations for the envelopes --how to sequence changes with them-- isn't really clear.

Sekaiju is a good modern alternative.

what i hate about trackers is the hexadecimal trash.

I love that. Expand your mind. Learn new skills. Memorize new facts. Keep growing man. I don't want fucking Alzheimer's.

I've always liked Face Another Day, even though it's like 30 minutes long.

It's not even that hard of a skill for someone who spends any time on Jow Forums. Or, rather, it shouldn't be.

Hex is easy, compact, and for things divisible by 4 (like the standard 4/4 64 row pattern of 16 beats, or the 0-64 volume range), it's particularly convenient.

also
>on Jow Forums
>can't into hex
fuck outta here

He's probably the one who posted that s()y as fuck Ableton software.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-22 Music production with Live and Push Ableton.png (466x311, 120K)

>the Chad Amiga/Atari user
>the Virgin DOS Impulse tracker/ Twelve Tone faggot

but i would have to do do a lotnof math to convert it.
unless i just used a converter.
whats the point?

what about chiptune/fm trackers

>but i would have to do do a lotnof math to convert it.
I don't think these old trackers go over FF and you should have everything up to this memorized if you're a true Jow Forums
I'm probably wrong about them only going up to FF though... someone who knows what's up, please let me know.

is this correct hex? havent done it in ages?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 1a 1b 1c 1d 1e 1f 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 18 29 2a 2b 2c 2d 2e 2f 30 31..etc

Doesn't ProTracker have a bug where B-3 is heavily distorted on real hardware?

Yeah, you're good.

>not using a Yamaha QY series dedicated hardware sequencer
Better get them shits before they're ten thousand bucks a pop.

Is this correct decimal?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Attached: qy700.jpg (1280x1170, 309K)

>not starting with 0
Never gonna make it.

lua user here; I find your comment racist

Nothing else competes.

Attached: trackers.jpg (809x447, 45K)

>there's only one tracker on Amiga

I really should learn to use trackers. For some reason music made in trackers always sounds excellent.
youtube.com/watch?v=iO3CDgDhp6A

16-bits.org/pt.php
ProTracker for modern systems
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVoRT-Mqwas9gvmCRtOusCQSKNQNf6lTc
A good tutorial that moves through at a breakneck speed and doesn't waste your time.
ftp.modland.com/pub/documents/nostalgia/misc/
ST-01 and ST-02 are some classic sample packs.

>western tonal harmonicism
>music
choose 1

beginner to making music and trackers. what does this mean? i already started with milkytracker. should i switch from milkytracker to protracker?

Attached: milky.png (320x128, 46K)

shut up pleb

Attached: wolfgang-mozart-9417115-2-402.jpg (1200x1200, 196K)

battleofthebits.org/lyceum/View/List of Trackers/

MilkyTracker is fine. It's basically just a modernised FastTracker 2 (i.e. it's .XM format). It also uses all the main effect codes as ProTracker, so if you want to play around with ProTracker later you can, but MilkyTracker is far more friendly for a novice.

if i use both c and lua am i mixed race?

wow he listens to mozart how positively original

*block your path*

Attached: lets_boogie_fl_chan_by_qrullgx13_d2dqmrx.jpg (1300x1300, 331K)

modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=87180
Always loved this one for it's vibrating portamento

Openmpt is the superior alternative to all of those

>samples
eww
youtube.com/watch?v=GGwiISMBdwc

*le simplistic four-to-da-floor house/trance tracker music*
*every pussy within seven miles dries up*
I'll agree they are better than many of the alternatives, including babyton live, but much of the music produced with them is still derivative trash made by spergs

>he thinks people only made club music in trackers
Stop basing and entire software family off of YouTube recommendations.

you IDEM or Lo-Fi Chill-Hop Beats?

youtu.be/UKF1AjxiEtw

youtu.be/3zeAetA971o?t=157

>tfw you see all that tracker awesomeness but you have the autism and need the visual representation of notes in a piano roll to feel comfy

Attached: 1566785156979.jpg (424x321, 102K)

>not finding the pattern roll comfy

modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=170076

>thread about trackers
>CTRL F "sunvox"
>0 results
Shame on you

Attached: 1568209644047.png (446x382, 300K)

Please kill that terrible UI with fire. So many poor decisions made. That noise, make it stop.

Scream/Impulse/Schism (basically the same UI) is probably more pleasing to you, since it's basically modal.

The iiichan tracker board has shut down, are there any other imageboards for tracker music?

Shadow of the Beast's soundtrack is much more ominous than 4 track 8bit samples should be.
youtube.com/watch?v=kJqhjzpq66w

>I put basedjak next to a product to invalidate it
cringe

what's based about it?

>cringe
Nothing makes me want to knock the reddit out of someone more than this. This shit absolutely needs a word filter here.

A staff and a pencil if you can actually write music.

>ST-01 and ST-02 are some classic sample packs.
They are very classic.
and they're a bit shit

nope
it sucks
used to go there all the fucking time, too

>and they're a bit shit
But fine for someone starting out as it keeps you focused on actually making tracks without worrying too much about samples.

>account name
based

He meant onions

youtube.com/watch?v=DEhbdVYSVMQ

I disagree. every time I hear the monsterbass sample it brings me joy

Also if you have it loop the last part of the organ sample it sounds like that WIRRR~R~R~R~R of a Hammond.

Image layering.
Some shit from the fucking ancient times of painting. From the old times of animation. To the days of today.

IDK if you'd call it a software paradigm, but it's some shit that is literally never going to not exist in every remotely professional image/graphic software.

Attached: 45Isolation1.jpg (505x344, 54K)

Hierarchical file systems

Attached: D_bkwI9WkAAtzDX.jpg (900x1200, 158K)

> be me
> a long time tracker user since '92
> hung over since saturday
> sees this thread
am i dead? am i shitposting in heaven?

>Tracking samples is still the most convenient and intuitive way to make digital music without external or expensive equipment.
could not agree more with this post. (proof in pic: a track i am making!).

also amiga and st, before they died. lots of people were still using those particular machines right up until the 2000s, especially the atari st due to its built in midi.

was great until the clone appeared. the clone is even better. I used it all the time. here is a link the official (and better working) fast tracker 2 clone: 16-bits.org/ft2.php

Attached: 1565825789867.png (642x511, 18K)

>tracker software that can't run on 32bit computers
What a shame.

> what a shame
only for those stuck using 32bit cpus. they should update their 20 year old computers and stop being plebs.

quite a few paint programs had similar features going back decades. photoshop (i think) was one of the first to do it extremely well.

trackers have been superseded by literally anything, even shitty mobile versions of daws do a better job and lets you be faster at it

>Stop expecting software that ran on fucking DOS to not require a i7 with 16GB of RAM
What a shame.

Try thinking relative, not absolute. Keep a "base" note in mind (probably your root, or maybe one that's important for a given passage) and view other "cursor" notes as deltas from the base one.

> i don't understand why nobody is making dos programs any more
are you just pretending to be retarded?

i started off with trackers and when i went to views like what you're used to it took a while for myself to adjust to that. both ways are pretty easy after a while. if you can master one program you can master another.

It's curious how for well over a decade, Photoshop has remained the one and only editor that does both raster and parametric well. I wonder whether it's a patent issue or a manpower issue (or both).

It builds on 32bit, because I have it on my Thinkpad. The real shame is that I get the same audio glitching with it that I have with Milky, and not with ProTracker and Schism.

>Photoshop has remained the one and only editor that does both raster and parametric well
amazingly well. i can't imagine using other image software. i've always used deluxe paint on amiga and photoshop on pc. nothing beat them. also there's no comparison to photoshop. i don't understand how people can recommend GIMP. I wonder how many people that recommend GIMP have had to use it for real work and productivity? lol. it's 100% bullshit.
>I wonder whether it's a patent issue or a manpower issue (or both).
yes, i have wondered also. both.. wouldn't surprise me at all.

I used to use Renoise when I was making making downtempo beats and whatnot, but then I wanted to get into cinematic ambient music, and trackers are not so good when you're using long samples with long reverb tails.

I know Renoise tried to address this issue, but I ended up moving over to REAPER and it's fucking awesome. The flexibility and ease of visualizing all of my work is incredibly helpful.

Jeskola Buzz and Psycle are good freeware alternatives to reason. Renoise is better paid alternative.
Schism Tracker, FT2 clone and ProTracker clone is similar to milky:

16-bits.org/index.php
schismtracker.org/

is a musical arrangement
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EJay

What kind of moron thought a pie chart was a good way to represent this?

Octamed 4 forever.

lol, kind of irrelevant, most of the "real hardware" is long dead