I bought a ASUS PCE-AC56 wifi card for around $60 usd because i was getting shit wifi in my den on my $7 usb wifi stick...

I bought a ASUS PCE-AC56 wifi card for around $60 usd because i was getting shit wifi in my den on my $7 usb wifi stick. Its arriving today. I just found out that although the card does have dual antennae and does 5ghz wifi, my dads router only does 2.4ghz wifi and 802.11g.

Will I notice a big difference over the usb stick or was my money wasted?

Attached: 1555049812739.jpg (796x812, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/123874801534
amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BYRPPAS/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah, any thing is better than an USB stick

what speeds were you getting with USB?
how much bandwidth does your ISP supply?

i actually have two usb sticks, one in my room which is right next to the den and it gets 12mbps down, 21.6 up with 15ms latency

in the den i get i get like .8 down / .27 up with 33ms latency

You'll 100% be limited by the router.

But why the fuck is he still using an 802.11g router? That thing was outdated a decade ago.

I dont think our internet is that high speed. Im just getting really shitty performance inthe den which is literally a room over from my room which gets good speeds off the same stick

54mbps is the peak DL across ALL streams, so if somebody else is using the connection, you will never have the full 54mbps (which probably runs at half-duplex anyway)

ebay.com/itm/123874801534

thats a piece of shit

Its the best $4 usb dongle with wireless antenna. You can change the antenna to any aftermarket for better signal. And better than the standard non-antenna variants.

Tbh I've had better luck with that usb pos than my integrated wireless lol

you fucked up
should've gone wired

OP's router is trash anyway. He could've bought a $20 modern wireless router with gigabit capabilities and a cheap usb dongle w/ antenna

Time to upgrade that router.
How old is it? Even the cheap 20 USD shit is Dual band 5GHz these days.

What's a decent cheap router these days to get? I'm switching ISPs to Spectrum soon and getting 400Mbps down, 50 up and figured I should just buy my own router to save some cash on the monthly charge. Currently I'm using the gateway AT&T sent me when I signed up with them.

If you're getting shit reception on 2.4GHz you'd fare no better on 5GHz.

wifi signal gets weaker with each wall it gets through.
send the pci card back and buy a wifi expander and put in your room. 20 euro ones willbdo the trick

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BYRPPAS/

Get the used $23 one. Provides gigabit WAN(wired) + WIFI. Many others in the same price range is limited to 100Mbps WAN(wired) and maybe gigabit wifi.

>send your bandwidth to a shitty little extender
>"it works good"

keep your damn asus card and get a fucking decent router that supports 802.11AC, good night kiddies

hi autismo

yes it work well. prove me wrong
t. installs that shit for a living

Use CAT6 you faggot.

Attached: 480f3c671a4063a874ab6f64a50bb269efedaba221f2148b8bd1556e4246954d.png (550x880, 257K)

2.4Ghz is the way to go on marginal signal reception

all he needs a dual band router

that's literally it

200ft of cat5e is like $20
you're bloody retarded m8

performance but not speed will improve

Both that and the main router will be working on the same signal, and interfering with eachother. They ALWAYS slow down the internet speed and add more latency.

you are what we cal a retard you spent 60 bucks for 40 dollar intel car, with asus drivers. you spent more money for the brand name to over up another brand name.
You could gotten a more modern wifi card from the latest 802.11ax, and it would also be pcie. However you opted for name brand meme. In the end you cannot even use anything past 2.4, and you over payed for and old gen card.

Attached: 1555142892387.jpg (979x941, 164K)

how the fuck would an ax card get him better speed on a g router

>802.11g.

What the fuck

Your $7 wifi stick wasn't the problem, that router is.

I have that card kek

Should have bought a proper wireless router and put it in bridge mode. R7000 works great for that.

finally an intelligent post, there is hope for Jow Forums yet

except for slow speeds you don't feel any difference. max bandwidth is divided by 2 but half of 54 mbps isn't reached on the main router.
Also latency-wise, it adds something around 100 ms in ping, which won't change anything basically.
The correct answer would be to pull a cat5 or cat6 cable, but op looked for wifi answer

I bought this a few years ago but it's still much slower than ethernet.

I have the version of this with three antennas and it's an absolute pile of shit with horrible driver support on windows 10, ac68 I think

at one point it literally caused bsod constantly

yuck, integrated wireless

do most boards come with this now?

not really for x370 when it was new
unsure about 470/570