Have you ever resurrected an ancient machine with GNU/Linux?

I installed Debian stable on an old machine I had laying around, for shits and giggles. Everything worked spectacularly well out of the box, and resource usage is incredibly low. Sure, I had to compile Palememe from source, with the -mno-sse2 flag (Athlon XP lacks SSE2 instruction) but everything else has been painless. I can do everything I'd ever need to do on this machine, aside from play the latest games, and watch FHD video. Cool stuff.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-22 11-16-16.png (1920x1200, 2.44M)

Something about Debian is really comfy

babbys first distro was Ubuntu, then Mint, then Debian. I've been using Debian for roughly a year now, and have fallen in love.

I have a PIII Laptop that is about 20 years old that run Windows 2000 right now. I might put Debian on it instead now just to see what happens.

Did you upgrade to sid?

i have used small distro as core-linux, puppy, DSL, void linux. something with low needs. I use xfce as DM or i3wm, awsomewm as wm's. or something small as them.

No?

I'm too much of a brainlet for TinyCore, but I'd like to give it a try someday.

What counts as ancient machine nowadays?

of course.

Attached: 2019-09-22-183425_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 1.29M)

Anything pre 64 bit is ancient IMHO

I use a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ which isn't ancient but the specs are comparable to an Intel laptop made 15 years ago. It runs FreeBSD with CDE. I compiled a bunch of Motif programs like xv, nedit, xmcd, xmmix and xpdf so it's pretty usable. Simple X/Motif programs are great for machines with garbage specs.

Look at Sun and SGI machines with Solaris and IRIX and tell me those aren't ancient. They were 64-bit systems. The cutoff is anything that's 10+ years old.

Attached: 1568626669346.jpg (936x931, 329K)

I put puppy Linux based on ubuntu 12.04 on an ancient 2000 toaste in 2016.

shit online but it worked.

choose LxQt next time, you retard.
>sid
>upgrade
Stop

That background, that BLS! Are you me?

what do you mean? going to unstable is an "upgrade" considering you have access to the newest software

LxQt is hideous

The brother I never had

FIRE IT UP!

LET THE ENGINES ROLL

Im resurrecting two old laptops: I turned my old HP into a media server through HDMI(it has the screen and the keyboard completely dead). Now I'm working with another old Acer.

Attached: Captura de pantalla de 2019-09-22 20-27-00.png (1366x768, 868K)

yes it's pretty cool actually

Attached: 12-36-49-216_2019.jpg (1024x768, 401K)

My sis had this old laptop (C2D I think) with Vista that was absolutely unusable, slow as molasses and nothing worked right. Linux made it usable again.

why does debian hide the "normal" ISOs you would use to install so deep in their website?

>Motif programs like xv
What?

A couple years ago I used an IBM Thinkpad X40 exclusively with Debian. It was already 12 years old then. It did everything I needed, including playing FHD video with mpv.

on debian stable you can install anything you want from the source code anyway.

I'm tired. Don't be a nigger about it.

They should update their website, desu.
Just look at Manjaro's, it's slick and beautiful.

Linux Mint and Mx Linux have shit websites too, I cringe everytime I stumble upon it.

Yes, old netbook with void linux, works like a charm

I think there's a certain charm to the sort of outdated website look, makes it feel like its run by normal people and not massive corporations. That said Debian's website is a mess

>Look at Sun and SGI machines with Solaris and IRIX and tell me those aren't ancient. They were 64-bit systems. The cutoff is anything that's 10+ years old.
Sorry, I wasn't aware of that.

whats the best DE for debian?

32 bits?

Trinity

to those of you who use debian, do you ever feel like you lack software you want because their repositories are kind of old? or do you never really feel this way and it just feels like a normal desktop?

yeah, had a Pentium 3 system with CentOS 4 installed
bootstraped a modern gentoo system from that because it couldn't boot from USB's and I don't have any CD's laying around anymore
at least it had wget and partitioning/fs tools installed since none of the configured repos worked anymore.
was able to build the rest of the system with distcc once I got into gentoo.

Using Linux Mint on an ancient Q8200 machine. Works very well. Unless I try to compile something, then it's a steaming pile of hot garbage.

>Nearly 4GB of Ram
>ancient
IMO anything before the core microarchitecture is old, pre-sse is ancient.

Hmm, I compiled Palemoon on my Q9400 in roughly 45 minutes. Pretty reasonable, considering how old it is.

Consumer machines you fucking dumb dumb

I used to run Linux in a ramdisk on an old company laptop with a 233mhz Cyrix ii cpu and 96mb of ram. It worked great, granted this was in like 2003 or 2004. Also the first Linux I ever used was microlinux (can’t type the Greek letter on my phone) on an old HP Vectra 386 installed from floppies in the late 90s, does that count? The machine nowadays is “ancient” but at the time was

>B50-30
>Nxxxx atom
That thing is at worst 4 years old. Ancient my ass. But shit nontheless

I think it'd be cool to put a distro on an old Pentium MMX machine I have with 48MB of RAM. I don't think there's any distro that would run on that would run on it though. I could probably find one that would run on my PIII laptop with 768MB of RAM though...

I have OpenBSD installed on an old Sun Ultra 5 from 1998.

Base Debian, MX, or antiX would run fine on the pentium iii, I just tried it the other day on a Dell Latitude C810.

>black label society
fucking based

can older machines handle cinnamon?

I imagine it would be usable if you had a decent GPU to help with compositing. I've only ever bothered with XFCE, LXDE, and other simple window managers.

I've got pentium4 boxen with some of the first pentium4 chips; normies think 'omg so slow' but it loads their facebook shit just as fast as a new i7.

>Latitude C810
Funny you say that because the laptop I'm thinking about doing it on is a Latitude C610

I have a Latitude CPx myself. They were a well built and very capable machine.

how old are we talking? If it has an gigs of ram with core 2 duo equivalent, yes.

8 gigs of ram, 4 cores

Lubuntu or Xubuntu, whats a better distro for a shit laptop?

Dude that computer isn't all that poorly specc'd.. Run any distro you want on that thing.

Lubuntu, I suspect, but you are better off doing a net install of Debian and using something incredibly lightweight. xmonad/dwm with xmobar & dmenu.

>4gb ram
sure is summer in here