/spg/ - Smartphone General /spg/ - Smartphone General

/spg/-chan, daisuki! Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget, and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com
phonedb.net

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
frequencycheck.com
willmyphonework.net

>Chinkphone News
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/5QCem1YH

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread:

Attached: spg-akari.jpg (1238x1080, 636K)

Other urls found in this thread:

getdroidtips.com/sony-xperia-xz2-premium-stock-firmware/
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/ios-13-ships-with-known-lockscreen-bypass-flaw-that-exposes-contacts/
buy.mi.com/hk/buy/product/mi-9-t-pro
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/DE/xiaomi-redmi-855
eglobalcentral.de/xiaomi-mi-9t-pro-8gb-256gb-dual-sim-ohne-sim-lock-redmi-k20-pro-glacier-blau.html
gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9357&idPhone2=9527
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

death to anime.

based and akari-chan-pilled

cringe and incelpilled

Attached: 1537920386236.png (250x238, 78K)

I switched networks and can't get android updates anymore.
What do?

you might be fucked. What phone? Might be time to look into custom ROMs or even a new phone.

Xperia XZ2 Premium. It's only a year old.
I can unlock the bootloader from Sony, but I'm not sure where to go next. I was hoping Sony could provide updates directly but it doesn't look like they do.

What carrier did you get it from?

You might have luck if you unlock the bootloader, then flash a standard ROM, you might even get OTA updates. I'm not sure how much longer the phone will be supported though.

Docomo, it's a Japanese model. Hopefully that won't complicate things.
Where do I hunt for a standard ROM, though? I'm pretty new to all this, I've never flashed anything.

you seem lost

It should be the same as any other model IF and only IF you are allowed to unlock the bootloader. This may be a process where you have to ask Sony for a key. You might not need to unlock the bootloader to flash a stock ROM since it's signed by Sony.

getdroidtips.com/sony-xperia-xz2-premium-stock-firmware/

This gives you information for doing it from Windows, you could probably also do it from adb/fastboot in Linux but that's not covered in this guide.

>iOS 13 ships with known lockscreen bypass flaw that exposes contacts
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/ios-13-ships-with-known-lockscreen-bypass-flaw-that-exposes-contacts/

Attached: 1567886779051.png (450x399, 381K)

people will still buy it....sad

Is 21:9 a meme?
I really want to try it , should I?

Attached: 01_Xperia-1_Primary-product-image_Black-e776e241f1d48b55ad6e630f862253b6.png (1320x1320, 1.32M)

Thanks very much, that will be a huge help.

Good phone except for battery. Consider the Xperia 5.

>Is 21:9 a meme?
For now yes because there's not enough content that's actually 21:9.

Have you tried to update with Sony Companion?

so alot of these chinkphones look really good but it seems alot of them don't actually support alot of lte bands in the US(TMOBILE). Which ones are good to go? looking at the xiaomi, huawei, etc

Attached: file.jpg (520x590, 39K)

daisuki~

So we've seen phones with good rear cameras and meh front facing ones. There are phones with cameras that pop out of the top with a little mechanism, even ones that can extend out and face front/back.

Why not use a mirror? Have the camera pointing up out of the phone on the inside (a bit like a TV remote) but have a mirror that can direct the incoming light either from the front or from the back, giving you a simple, robust, internal camera that's good in both directions and doesn't extend anything out of the body.

Hi,don't know if this is the right thread to ask but I'm asking anyway. For the last couple of weeks the signal bars on my phone have been randomly dropping to 1 or 2 bars and then shooting back up to full. It doesn't cause call quality to drop or data speed to slow but it's kind of bugging my autism. Anyone here know what it might be? Tower repair? High network traffic? Damaged internal antenna?

Check kimovil

Https://www.kimovil.com
Has filters for everything, even frequency bands.

Why do you people like little ching chong cartoon girls?

Anyways. What's a good Android phone under $300 that's better or equal in every aspect to the Moto g5s plus 3GB ram model?

you can filter by frequency and brand on gsmarena
iirc it's 2, 4, 7, 12 for tmobile.

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s, Mix 3, Mi8 and Mi9

Poor reception is most likely. Or is it sitting on your table and that's happening without you moving around? Try inserting SIM again in any case.

>on Jow Forums
>asking why people like chingchong cartoons

are you ok user

Many new chink phones starting from ~$150 will do.

Happens anywhere in my house seemingly at random. Also I thought SIM cards had nothing to do with strength of signal?

Shit, I didn't know there was a new thread
>features
micro USB
>budget
about $300
>size
about 5 inches. on the small side
>carrier, country
Verizon, USA

cute things are cute, and high testosterone makes you want to protect cute things

Attached: 8bd808d096b52ae58c8934d8968901ecc39f7749.jpg (800x1129, 158K)

>>features
>micro USB
Reading this kind of shit makes me angry.

I guess it's not like, essential, but I'd prefer not to have to use different cables for my various devices I guess. If you have any good options that fit the other categories but with usb C I'd love to hear them

Buy Xiaomi Mi 9 for 350$ or wait until black friday?

Should I buy the Oneplus 7 (Is now at 369€ at aliexpress) or wait for the oneplus 7t?

keeps people like you out, fuck off

Does 90hz really rape the battery or are people just butthurt?

Moto G7 sounds perfect for you

5 inch phones don't really exist anymore besides the 3a

Upgrading to a note 10+ today since my S8 is all fucked from a nasty drop. What am I in for? I don't see myself using the pen much outside of some doodling, but I thought it would be nice to have a huge screen for once

Attached: 121127i8.jpg (440x330, 117K)

Pixel 3a

Recommend me a trendy japanese smallphone with a place to hang autism accessories. I dare you.

Attached: 4chan anime.png (1024x768, 1.27M)

I mean, it looks like it matches my budget, but it doesn't have micro USB and it isn't very small so I'm curious why you thought it sounded 'perfect.' I'm not a big fan of the notch, do you ever get used to it?
I'm vaguely reluctant to get a Google phone because I don't want the Man to know what I masturbate to. I'm also not wild about all the google features they try to push on you even on phones that aren't theirs, is it worse on the pixel?

Based

Attached: 1561050496624.jpg (480x480, 14K)

Every Android phone has the Google botnet, Pixels are no worse in that regard. At least they're very easy to unlock the bootloader / root so you can remove/disable most of the Google stuff or flash a custom ROM.

Anyone have experience buying Xiaomi in the UK? Some websites selling look pretty sketchy

>MicroUSB
Most if not all phones post-2017 use the USB-C standard, so you're going to have to most likely drop that expectation.
>Verizon
Having this carrier really limits your phone choice, so only phones compatible with all US bands will work
Check these out.
>Moto G7
>Moto G6
>Pixel 3a
>Notch
You get used to it in a few minutes. It's not as bad as some retards make it out to be.
>Google botnet
You're literally using Android.

buy from aliexpress or banggood with paypal. but for god sake, buy the global version of the phone and not the global rom version.

>You get used to it in a few minutes. It's not as bad as some retards make it out to be.
I guess so. I was borrowing a friend's G7 "power" edition, which I guess has an extra large battery, and it just feels like somebody's got their thumb on my screen whenever I look at it, and I don't like that the notification bar gets truncated just because I have vibrate on.
Oddly, the notch on that one seems larger than the one on the normal G7 despite the only (alleged) difference being battery size. That's weird.

Mi 9T Pro 8/256, Black Shark 2 6/128, Red Magic 3 6/128? or something else? OP7 8/256?

they are at similar prices

Attached: doc.jpg (1280x1871, 454K)

Redmi 7, or Redmi Note 6 Pro?
Is 3 GB RAM enough if I might want to play games like Honkai Impact 3, or should 4 GB be the minimum?

4GB.

Don't settle for anything less than 4GB. You're worth it, user. 4GB is ideal if you have something running stock Android, but skins can slow it down.

Redmi Note 7

>they are at similar prices
Where?

I haven't been excited by a smartphone since 2015. Why is that?

Ali

Mostly because there hasn't been much innovation. Sure we got notches, and we removed the headphone jack from many models, but these amazing innovations don't really excite people like the first 1080 or 1440p screen, or a fingerprint sensor.

It's between the OP7 and the K20 Pro since the other two don't have SD slot but these are the 256gb version at least. What's the price difference of these two?

Good, thanks. I was looking at 3 GB before since the price jump from 3 GB to 4 GB is such that it opens up a lot more choices and complicates the decision, but I was worried that 3 GB might be too little.

450$ for Mi 9T Pro (not K20 Pro, it's a global version)
430$ for OP7 china with global ROM (apparently it has all the bands i need)
or
450$ for OP7 Global

What's the difference?

Are you sure it's the Mi9T Pro 256gb? I've never seen it on Ali, only K20 pro. If it is I'd go with it depending on how much you care about the cameras/notch

yeah xiaomi released it in hong kong only i guess

buy.mi.com/hk/buy/product/mi-9-t-pro

you can buy this version in some places in europe

As for camera I don't really mind notches but popup camera in xiaomi seems kind of cool (im a zoomer at heart) and I'd also welcome headphone jack so i guess i answered my own question

Attached: 1443962283887.jpg (638x630, 113K)

i don't play games on my mobile phone, i don't run benchmarks, i don't take pictures non-stop, i don't care about the build quality

all i want is good battery life, good audio quality (3.5mm jack with no hissing/crosstalk/low volume), and a reasonably bright panel.

used to have an s4 and i liked it but want something newer and better if possible

budget is 200$, please advise

global rom phones are phones with a rom flashed over them with a few languages and likely no ota updates. more crucially, they lack certain network bands. global version phones have updates and all network bands.

My phone is fairly small for a phone nowadays and it has microUSB which I don't care for. It has a notch though, but is well within your budget. Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite. You get used to the size and the notch doesn't bother me.

Again my phone might be right up your alley. I've heard people complain about the screen in direct sunlight but I'm using it right now outside in indirect sun and it's completely fine. Not so hot in direct sunlight though

will i run into any problems if i buy a xiaomi k20 pro (premium) in china and use it in germany?

It depends. It may not have all the cell bands you require, and you will ideally need to flash the global rom over it, which means unlocking the bootloader. Easier to buy the Mi 9T Pro tßb.

Yeah true it's lacking the LTE band 20 800mhz frequency. And at first glance the Mi 9T Pro they sell in germany only comes with 128gb.
Might get the OP 7 Pro then, are there any hardware differences between global and chinese version?

i want to nakadashi akarin

no differences. well, the bands are a hardware difference technically.

I can't think of anything that has improved on smartphones since 2018 started besides cameras.

Who knows user, whenever my signal went to shit I fiddled with the SIM for improvements.

is there a comparison table on the band differences between CN and global version? gmsarena doesn't differentiate.

you can always buy Mi 9T Pro 256GB

K20 Pro is missing B20, B28 and B32 (looks like those are used in Germany)

you can check on kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/DE/xiaomi-redmi-855

Mi 9T is missing only B32

thanks for the link. chinese OnePlus 7 Pro seems to have all the bands I need.
for whatever reason they don't sell the Mi 9T Pro with 258GB here, 128 is max and that's kinda out of the question for me. and the Mix 3 only SD 845 and weaker battery.
time to buy into the 90hz display meme i guess

>QHD
>OLED
>rootable/unlockable bootloader
>no curved meme screen
preferably
>no notch
>headphone jack
>sd slot/dual sim
>notif LED
why are there 0 (zero) acceptable modern phones

nuphones are fucked

>for whatever reason they don't sell the Mi 9T Pro with 258GB here
it's because 256GB version of Mi 9T Pro has been only released in hongkong so you'd have to buy it in a shop which imports it like
eglobalcentral.de/xiaomi-mi-9t-pro-8gb-256gb-dual-sim-ohne-sim-lock-redmi-k20-pro-glacier-blau.html

for example

but if you have the money for OP7Pro then go for it

how do i find out which app is showing me some random chink ad? i thought i could catch it with adaway but i can only see dns requests, not which app

Just swallow the Note 9 meme, dealing with curved screen is worth having everything else.

Xiaomi Redmi 7A Smartphone
y/n?

akariii~n

Attached: 1565712606767.png (380x364, 216K)

>$400 used Samsung S9+
or
>$850 One Plus 7 Pro
help

why are you looking at phones with such disparate price levels

$400 was my original budget, but after looking at reviews, the 7 Pro seemed really good and potentially worthy of the cost increase

I know the S9+ is way more than sufficient though

the 7T is going to be announced soon, the original might drop in price if you really want it

ordered a Xiaomi Mi A3 without bothering to research anything........... is it good for the price?

Not only that, but the 7T will be getting the 90 hz screen too so it becomes much closer in overall experience for less money

thanks, I didn't know that

I'll look into the 7T

lineageos or paranoid android? Why?

XZ1C

Any suggestions for a mid tier phone for Canada on Telus/Bell? 6" screen and ~ $600 beaver pelts max. Was considering refurb iphone 7 for $340 but not sure since it would be my first iphone. Have a Nexus 5 with custom rom right now. I don't game on my phone.

I have a question for you guys and trannies. I used to use Lineageos on my Mi Max but went full normie with my Mi Mix 2s and stuck with MIUI. It always seems to drain the battery like mad and I'm checking to see if I can get the screen off drain to go a bit lower.

I remember losing like 0.5% per hour, possibly less on the Mi Max, so you'd basically only maybe lose 5% overnigh, which would be around 250mAh in absolute terms.

Meanwhile the Mi Mix can easily drain 15-20%, which is 2-3 times as much power in absolute terms (battery is smaller of course).

Is xiaomi completely messing up Android Doze or what?

So how much do you lose overnight usually? And tell me the phone and if you're running some custom rom or not.

I remember turning off miui optimization but it didn't seem to be any better, might try that again tho or just say fuck it and install either lineage or at least xiaomi.eu (camera app and swipe gestures are good shit yakno).

there's Amazon Renewed (aka refurb) S9+ for $480. probably the best overall phone for $600. you can get G7s and whatever for $250 if you want cheaper though

> (You)
>there's Amazon Renewed (aka refurb) S9+ for $480. probably the best overall phone for $600. you can get G7s and whatever for $250 if you want cheaper though
Thanks, I'll look at both.

So i have a ZTE Axon 7 thats sort of dieing and i am wainting a new phone. I honestly just want a battery life of 3500mah+ and a 3.5mm headphone jack. I use my phone for maybe 30mins a day and all i do on it is take photos, listen to music, message people on telegram and facebook messenger, use clover and use the internet for nothing much. I don't even watch youtube on it or anything.
So i don't need this big flashy phone. Just one that will last and is less than 250USD

I have an old phone (Moto g4) that I'm planning on replacing, but I'm having trouble getting the files off of it.
When I plug it in to the USB port on my computer, it begins charging, but the option to transfer files doesn't even appear (and the computer doesn't even show it on the list of drives).
Before I take drastic actions like, you know, trying a single damn thing differently, has this problem happened to anyone else?

>>You get used to it in a few minutes. It's not as bad as some retards make it out to be.
>I guess so. I was borrowing a friend's G7 "power" edition, which I guess has an extra large battery
>Oddly, the notch on that one seems larger than the one on the normal G7 despite the only (alleged) difference being battery size. That's weird.

There are more differences. Lower res, larger battery, no 802.11 a / dual band, 32GB 3GB RAM (USA), 64GB 4GB RAM (EU).

gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9357&idPhone2=9527