Jesus Christ NEW KDE Plasma 5.16.90 is OUT

kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.16.90.php
Do Not Disturb mode is automatically enabled when mirroring screens (e.g. when delivering a presentation)
The Notifications widget now uses an improved icon instead of displaying the number of unread notifications
Improved widget positioning UX, particularly for touch
Improved the Task Manager's middle-click behavior: middle-clicking on an open app's task opens a new instance, while middle-clicking on its thumbnail will close that instance
Slight RGB hinting is now the default font rendering mode
Plasma now starts even faster!
Conversion of fractional units into other units (e.g. 3/16" == 4.76 mm) in KRunner and Kickoff
Wallpaper slideshows can now have user-chosen ordering rather than always being random
New Unsplash picture of the day wallpaper source with categories
Much better support for public WiFi login
Added the ability to set a maximum volume that's lower than 100%
Pasting text into a sticky note strips the formatting by default
Kickoff's recent documents section now works with GNOME/GTK apps
Fixed Kickoff tab appearance being broken with vertical panels

Attached: plasma-5.17.png (1920x1080, 416K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pointieststick.com/2019/09/21/this-week-in-kde-a-metric-avalanche-of-amazing-things/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

don't really care

i use i3

rip Gnome

still looks like 2010

I read some wear that with 5.17, wayland will finally repect kde window rules.
I'll wait.

Attached: [Untitled].jpg (744x825, 115K)

And that's a good thing because modern design looks like garbage

>still in kde-unstable for arch

When will they make it not look like ass?

lmao 13:37

Kde patrons Google...lol yeah I will stick to Microsoft

>KDE's lightweight yet full featured desktop environment

GNOME is way better

>they don't make 'em like that anymore, that's for sure!

>rgb font hinting
so kikedeeEee steals the shittiest """feature""" from wangblows: cleartype

gross

KDE is so fucking ugly

There's more coming out: pointieststick.com/2019/09/21/this-week-in-kde-a-metric-avalanche-of-amazing-things/

It's a beta release for 5.17

post konqi

Attached: heh.png (307x281, 77K)

is it out for an update?

Your mom's even uglier.

I like KDE

i like it

You need to be 12 to post here

Attached: 1537694674402.png (400x400, 627K)

same

Gnomes on suicide watch.

now how do I force an update to my current kde install

>Improved the Task Manager's middle-click behavior: middle-clicking on an open app's task opens a new instance, while middle-clicking on its thumbnail will close that instance
how can I revert this shit

have they fixed the slow ass thumbnail load time

Too bad they couldn't have released this yesterday.... They were participating in the climate hoax nonsense. Get your fucking politics out of my software. KDE has no business sucking off Greta's girlpenis.

Still the same unpolished shit

>letting your choices in software be influenced by some irrelevant unrelated shit its authors do
have sex

I mean, I want to broaden my horizons outside Gnome, but it looks like ass.

well why post, you imbecile?

>absolutely seething
KDE winning.

I use KDE and it is ugly. And settings panel is a nightmare. Also, a good start: make title bar same color as the window by default, no icons on buttons, no jumping icon on cursor when starting app. I have to tweak KDE to even want to use it. Get some non-programmer, non-autistic, UI/UX people engaged.

looks like shit, I want something like this

Attached: ConceptOS.webm (1920x1080, 2.48M)

kde is the best looking de, don't know why gnomes call it ugly
because it doesn't look like tablet shit?

This only shows a quick launch and tabs viewer. This is not a concept for a DE or OS.

looks like shit

GNOMES BTFO

/thread

gnome and kde are the two ugliest DEs.

My attempt. Does it look better?

Attached: Screenshot_20190923_034845.png (1366x768, 147K)

MUUUUUCH better! The actual state is a disaster.

>I am bad at using Plasma's control panel because I'm a moron
TWEAKING A FUCKING DESKTOP IS THE FUCKING POINT, YOU MAKE IT YOUR FUCKING OWN INSTEAD OF SOME GENERIC GODDAMN DEFAULT FOR IDIOTS YOU CAN BARELY CHANGE (Windows, Mac, GNOME).

All I did was change colors of things and remove icons from buttons. And no jumping icon next to cursor when launching apps. Maybe I should join the mailinglists and give advice, since I'm not autistic programmer but a creative type.

The KDE control panel sucks, it sucks as bad as the (2) windows control panel. It's a mess UI and UX wise.

Go make it nice. It is easy, KDE is infinitably variable

>things shouldn't look good by default
>you are meant to rice not use a DE vanilla

>why aren't more people switching to linux?
gee, wonder why?
>because they are normies and are too dumb

>that fucking lack of padding to the left for tha title
>2 help buttons, probably 1 doesn't work
>2 what's the difference between Defaults and Reset?
>Why do you need Accept and Apply? 2019, options should work the moment you change them.
>2 buttons that closes the window without applying any change
>Again, 2019 and this shit doesn't have a geolocalization option to get latitude and longitude automatically.
>"but muh privacy and muh botnet"
>Is open source, there is no way this info can be used for botnet purposes
>even without geolocalization, it should be solved by just having a country/estate indicator

Holy shit KDE, I am sure you can pay 1 (one) UX/Usability designer. Maybe you can get one idiot that does it for free.

Attached: file.png (591x471, 83K)

I shall be that idiot. I'll take one for the team.

Do this, for God's sake!

Just for reference. This is the same config in Windows.

Clean, simple, they even care to explain what this shit is about. Half of these settings are hidden unless you activate "Schedule night light" and "set hours". It uses geolocalization.

Attached: file.png (502x768, 28K)

It is good UI, don't see anything wrong with it. Redundancy is good.

If you have sane defaults you don't need a trillion options to customize.

In KDE you can adjust transparency level on everything, context menus etc. So many options, that should be hid away under "advanced" or something to clean the panel up. If you have a tasteful level of transparency on menus, say, why would anyone feel the need to adjust it?

Shit design.
If it doesn't look like a cockpit, it is shit.

>Pilots train for years. They are flying a machine that if crashed would kill several hundred people.
>Computers are used by one person for simple tasks.
>They should be equally complex to use.
>People should need special training to be able to use a settings panel.

Attached: 1569209168140.png (1500x768, 151K)

>updates plasma
>wallpaper disappears
bravo konqi

Accept closes the windows, Apply doesn't.
So using apply allows you to stay in setting in case you want to redo something.

KDE interface is more intuitive.
It is very clear. Words describe thing precisely. Like a gentle man. Everything is located where it should be located.
Windows is like nigga. Speaks not that clear, everything is places chaotically, and doesn't make much sense.

Stock KDE is better

Good.

> I want something like this
There's plenty of gay design already.

>What does "strength of night" even mean?
Since the adjustments are applied on-the-fly, the user by just moving will notice the difference between a more concentrated coloration than a lighter one. It's intuitive.

Do you really believe a user would care if the temperature is 4601K or 4602K? It's useless info, just let the user pick whatever he feels it's the most confortable one, without having to "apply" every single time.

The KDE setting doesn't even have a way to see how the screen will look unless you're on the specified time to let KDE activate it. Also there is no option to just turn it on forever. For so many buttons, this window is more useless than the one in Windows.

The KDE window also has useless space, and the Windows' window only needs more space if you really need it, otherwise it looks like pic related.

That fucking standarized layout is shit. Again, 2019 and stuff like this should apply automatically. Not because it's a trend, because computers can handle it.

Attached: file.png (502x589, 22K)

Gay.

looks shit with shit rounded square and flat design. fuck off with your material design shit

>So using apply allows you to stay in setting in case you want to redo something.
Why would you accept only to stay there to redo it and accept again?

>change this and this. then click "okay".
Presto. That's how it should be.

>Since the adjustments are applied on-the-fly, the user by just moving will notice the difference between a more concentrated coloration than a lighter one. It's intuitive.
It is not intuitive if you can't get idea what it does without playing with it.
>Do you really believe a user would care if the temperature is 4601K or 4602K? It's useless info, just let the user pick whatever he feels it's the most confortable one, without having to "apply" every single time.
For me, and probably everyone else, color temperature is much more intuitive than some sliding bar. I just set temperature I want in the evening, i.e. 2700k
>The KDE setting doesn't even have a way to see how the screen will look unless you're on the specified time to let KDE activate it. Also there is no option to just turn it on forever.
This can be easily added to operation mode menu. Call it "Always on".
>That fucking standarized layout is shit.
No, it is not.
On KDE, settings are fast. On Windows, you end up searching, searching, give up and search it in the internet to find out what Pajeets meant.
> Again, 2019 and stuff like this should apply automatically.
This is bad. What if you accidentally change? This was happening on Windows because their touchpad driver is retarded and I was clicking wrong place all the time, changing settings I don't need.
In KDE, I can simply press cancel, and shit would restore.

Stop turning everything in GNOME and iOS.

Intuitive and easy to use.

Attached: 86f38e240f3a37834d0f39e28239d0d9.jpg (1080x1338, 241K)

Fucking gay shit. Bad UI.
Things are in wrong places, non-intuitive at all.

This is what Windows wants to be, btw.

Attached: model-3-interior-dashboard-head-on-1-e1525805102199.jpg (1600x790, 114K)

>>That fucking standarized layout is shit.
>No, it is not.
Not that user, but: yes it is.
I've used KDE for years and defaults are ugly. The standardized layout could be simplified.

I don't understand.
I don't care if it is ugly. I care if it is easy to use or not.
It is not a wallpaper to be nice and pretty

No, this is.
A PC is just a powerful calculator, not an airliner.

Attached: calculator.png (616x368, 358K)

Airliner is a computer

>I don't care if it is ugly.
>I care if it is easy to use or not.
Sometimes there's a link between the two.

Good UI made my white people for white people.

Attached: win2k_net_01.jpg (654x541, 94K)

Shit UI shitted out by a street shitter.

Attached: d91f703e-4516-4844-9897-89af6aab7e9e-en.png (558x317, 38K)

No. It is not. It has a computer. An airliner is not a computer. I have a computer, but I'm not a computer. Understand?

>An airliner is a type of aircraft for transporting passengers and air cargo. Such aircraft are most often operated by airlines.

>A computer is a machine that can be instructed to carry out sequences of arithmetic or logical operations automatically via computer programming.

KDE UI is good.
No need to make gay shit out of it. You have Gnome for that
Airliner is a kernel

Gnome is not gay, Gnome is bloated and too simplified.
The trick is to simplify, but not over-simplify.
Having a clean look and easy to use is not "gay".
Where old school Braun products gay?

Class like simplified.
Gay likes flashy and a lot of bells and whistles.

Attached: Braun.jpg (1024x1024, 46K)

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-23 at 06.15.52.png (572x471, 367K)

>Where old school Braun products gay?
Yes. They are source of cancer, first devices with form over function.

Where is the function lacking.
What do you need in an fm radio?
1. Tuning
2. Volume
Your claim in invalid.

Function arises from form. Look at functional architecture (functionalism). A disaster. Hideous and soulless.

Attached: villa-savoye.jpg (1239x802, 175K)

This is functionalism in architecture. The main concern is function over form. Post modernists took a step further.

Attached: imgp1620-jpg.jpg (1024x768, 117K)

Beauty was not their concern.
They have simplified to much, because they did not care about appearance.
On appliances like Braun the opposite was true, they simplified because they did care about appearance. Ornaments on a small appliance would look tacky and chaotic, on a building of size it makes it look beautiful.
The ancient greeks had ornaments and focused on form. They designed their buildings to conform to the golden mean.

Attached: aegina_arch_model.jpg (1930x1200, 1.25M)

It's still simple but beautiful because the set form in the front seat. Functionalists set function on the front seat so their buildings, many of them, look ugly.

1. Dedicated power switch
2. Tuning capacitor knob
3. Dial with frequency
4. Band selector (if it is am-fm)

It was clearly designed to be like a white box, not a radio.

1 On the radios I have used, that were not Braun, the power is when you turn the volume completely off. Why would an fm radio be on if it's volume is completely off. Imagine if if you muted the volume of your PC the sound-card would turn off and save you battery, just a tiny bit of volume would turn it on. It's good design.

3 the other radio i posted has frequency or pic related

4 it's an fm radio,

When I had radio on my samsung it had only FM frequency and stored channels. Was it only designed to be an app?

Attached: d6bd08aae29f5515ccf8e5c90d2091d0.jpg (495x495, 22K)

This.
Back in the day, before this design, people were reading manuals before using the thing. This is the problem today.

Didn't read, lol
I use arch + GNOME, btw

>Back in the day, before this design, people were reading manuals before using the thing.
No, they weren't. Does this radio look like it needs a manual?

Attached: Very old radio.jpg (960x720, 311K)

This was before Braun. You claim is false.
Or this old and beautiful designed radio, form in focus.

Maybe you lads are confusing ham radios with am/fm radios. They are different and serve different functions so you will find more options on a ham radio.

Attached: old radio.jpg (2250x1687, 426K)

>the power is when you turn the volume completely off.
And I hated it. I ended up installing switch in all radios.
This reduced wear and tear on pot.
>Why would an fm radio be on if it's volume is completely off.
So you don't touch it, once set.
> Imagine if if you muted the volume of your PC the sound-card would turn off and save you battery
Soundcards are sophisticated. They analyze input signal, if it doesn't change, you can hear shit turning off, if shielding is a problem.
>3 the other radio i posted has frequency or pic related
Because they were made later. Somebody in Braun convinced him that this is a nice feature to have.
Imagine era, when radios were a new thing. Ofc it needs a manual.
In Braun era everyone just already known how to use this, because everyone had one.
Also this one has 4 unknown knobs, so you need manual to find out which is volume, which is select, which is tuning, etc.

>This was before Braun. You claim is false.
They made it popular, and even more retarded.

If pic related is what you are looking for it's not an am/fm radio. It's for intercepting and communicating with people all over the world. It has a beautiful and clean design and the functions for it's purpose and to a novice it would need a manual.

Attached: Dayton-Hamvention-2.jpg (2023x749, 464K)

>They made it popular, and even more retarded.
Oh lawdy, this is what people wanted, so it's retarded. It should be autistic and overly complicated and ugly.

>Somebody in Braun convinced him that this is a nice feature to have.
Or could it be that they made different types of radios at the same time, which they did.

Yes. Normal people must suffer.
Engineers should make UI. This is quality of seal, means that thing is good and professional.

This is why we all have SJWs fucking up with Linux. Computers became too intuitive. This is bad