It should replace Python honestly

>Easy
>Runs anywhere
>Much faster

Attached: 52325325.png (660x330, 90K)

yes

you just named some random language features. it's all about libraries and python has them.

Well yeah python is like 30 years old, but people should try and develop libraries for go with the hope of it replacing pyshit someday.

Python is a scripting language, so no. Can you run Go as shell?

it is not as smooth as python for prototyping
python code is much shorter

Lisp should replace all scripting languages.

There is some overlap between things you can write in Go and things you can write in Python, but they fill different niches. There are many things Python can do that Go can't and shouldn't be able to do.

>There are many things Python can do that Go can't
Like what
>inb4 some library
Go can call C code too

>Python is a scripting language, so no. Can you run Go as shell?
when you use go run filename.go to compile it deletes the binary after it runs, so it has the same affect as running a script in a scripting language

>go: 478.8 MiB
And about the same size as a minimal Linux distribution.

Old != needs to be replaced

Lisp is perfect, but the major drawback is that you actually need to know how to program. 95%+ of python users just call 70000 libraries and do do.thing(x)

The Docker images actually are smaller with Go

is it really as easy and clean as python though?

im pretty sure that python has a REPL and golang not

Its pretty easy also has more libraries than i thought.

Even Java as a JIT-compiled language has a REPL now. Just like the interactive Python interpreter, it's most useful for prototyping snippets of code.

Attached: jshell.png (659x432, 19K)

They have little to do with eachother.

saw someone making one for C but the thing is that some languages work better with those tools, golang is type language with no object classes making it much harder to implement a REPL but hey if they did one for c probably go has one to.

Dynamic typing, which sidesteps the generics problem. A REPL. Definitions during runtime. Custom types with the same power as built-in types. Exceptions.
All of those things have major advantages. All of those things (aside from the REPL) have major disadvantages. Go and Python have incompatible priorities.

lol no generics

fuck off with your shit, google nigger.

I'll wait until pyke finally adds generics to the language

You're right, but Python definitely needs to be replaced for many other reasons. The first thing to be replaced is JavaScript, though.

>if err != nil

Who thought this was a good idea?

soon(tm)

C can call C code, retard. Why would I use some zoomer language to do it when I could do it in the way it's meant to be done?

I mean its okay
>If error isnt so null do something with that error
kinda makes sense

they looked at try/catch and realised it was retarded, but were also committed to having no generics and the result was that they had to do this retardation

The time of WASM has come.

WASM still doesnt have any front-end framework tho except for Blazor and WASM Blazor isnt even production ready. Maybe in a few years

I like it. Sue me but I fucking like it.

It feels good to have code where error cases are properly handled.

Maybe next year...

except you can still ignore this shit lmao

and when people do, you dont use their libraries.

If you want to replace Python you choose Nim.
Nim has a similar syntax and compiles to C. As a result it is blazing fast.
Templates and macros are baked into the language and don't have separate special syntax like in C.
It is pretty genius actually.

Point is the only way you can force people to check their errors is by using generics and ADTs.

If its so good why does nobody use it

It's not sponsored by google.

>im pretty sure that python has a REPL and golang not
the fact that Python has a REPL is meaningless, you have to use something like iPython to make Python useful as a shell

Yes, it is cumbersome. It forces a bit more thought about code organization and program structure.
I write a lot of low-level code in Go where nearly every function returns an error and I don't find it problematic.
Better than the C way, for sure.
Better than exceptions? Depends on the situation. Most of the time it may well not be.

Literally the same situation as you get with exceptions. The feeling of solidity you're getting is placebo.
You feel better because you're writing more boilerplate. That's all.

The error can always just be swallowed or rethrown. You can't force someone to properly handle a given error state. How do you detect what "properly handled" looks like generally?
You CAN force a programmer to see that an error may be thrown. Java checked exceptions does this, and it's a pain in the ass.

>>Easy
but is it easier to learn than python?

That's because Java is Java and everything is boilerplate. Exceptions aren't values that can be manipulated and abstracted over but ADTs are.

>start with C when I was 11 or so
>do some ASM for micros in highschool
>back to C/C++ in college
>also Java in college
>get into the whole mindset of "we need objects and java because modularization! it would be harder in other languages!"
>go to a job interview and learn at the company for 1 week, they use Java and Spring. The company ends up not taking me, but whatever, it was fun. Spring looks a bit too complicated tho.
>get into a job where the backend runs on C/C++ with proprietary libraries the company developed.
>It's really fucking easy to maintain code, even if everything is a bit old
>See something made in Java now, looks like a headache to maintain
>change jobs, now I'm at a credit card processor using C/C++, PHP, and Node.JS.
>They still have some ancillary shit running on Java
>everyone hates Java

what I learned: Newer is not always better, Javascript is very nice, C/C++ is perfectly maintainable and efficient if you know what you are doing, PHP isn't something born out of Satan or whatever, just a language with its own flaws.

Also, Python is nice, dunno why you would want to replace it. Just make something that's better for a certain field, doesn't have to replace Python.

You can run even C as a shell dude

Not a dynamic language.

Do you think TypeScript should go as well? TS is very clean looking and type safe which is what you want. Also runtime speeds differences are negligible

Golame was built for "faster webservers" but is the same speed as a webserver as an Express.js application in real world scenarios.

Even fucking google uses node.js to build their applications due to productivity

B8

>It should replace Python honestly
No, not replace, Python is the de facto 'glue' language. On the other hand, for Python folks who want more performance with a language that is practically as easy to learn, Go is the perfect candidate.

No, fuck off Rob.

Typescript is an attempt. Andy did the best he could to patch the language, but it's still shit compared to any real language.

What's the point with := in go? What does it equal?

People can't even stop using FORTRAN, do you honestly think they'll ever stop using python?

What are you referring to?

>Easy
>Runs anywhere
>Much faster

Attached: 52325325.png (1200x847, 12K)

It infers the type. That’s it, its fucking stupid

What does Go do better than Rust?

Attached: gobtfo.png (2264x324, 183K)

No REPL and more annoying to shit out code in

SSR works well!

L
O
L

Attached: 253253255.png (936x508, 19K)

Easier to write in and easier to dockerize and just host the shit, hovewer Rust for webservers seems actually great and i may use it for some projects that will require heavy operations, problems is most servers dont need anything better than php let alone fucking Go and Rust

Attached: 1549852480123.jpg (754x692, 137K)