Why do people say LibreOffice is bad compared to MS Word? What does LibreOffice do wrong that Word does better?

Why do people say LibreOffice is bad compared to MS Word? What does LibreOffice do wrong that Word does better?

Attached: libreofficehero.jpg (1200x938, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_27492410.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It isn't a 100% copy of Excel and it never will be. It will always fail because of this.

of all the places I've worked, they only use openoffice or even wps office

Haven't used it in a long time. It was like old bloated software, full of crap that nobody uses anymore, like those tileable bitmaps.
I just use Google Docs nowadays. Yes, it's a web app. Sure, hurr durr Google botnet. But it feels nice and modern, it isn't full of useless features, and gets the job done.

I tried libreoffice once. Decided to keep working on some word documents, the formatting was different, the pictures i had included in the document were messed up. Same with their spreadhseets, it just wasn't the same. Ended up paying for an office license on ebay

does google doc let you download a copy to your desktop?

Yes.

Everyone uses MSOffice and compatibility with it is poor, so it's useless for any kind collaborative work.

For personal use it's completely fine.

Cloud integration. Excel has a better constraints solver.

Better python macros in calc would kill Excel.

office formats are being monopolized by microsoft
and the alternatives can't really emulate it since it's proprietary just like PSD

reposlave guy

Is anything other than Excel even necessary these days? I don't even remember the last time I used MS Word at work. If I need to save text I'll just do it in notepad.

>open a file
>all fonts look weird, formatting broken, images scattered in random places

I use Libre Office Writer often. It's absolutely fine if you're creating simple word documents. The problems arise when you start putting in things like tables and footnotes and graphics and then having to open it in Word on a Windows computer. The formatting will be fucked, even if you save it as .odt.

There's no way round this, MS purposes avoid total compatibility so they stay ahead of the competition. I write everything for uni on LIbre Office Writer but just before I submit I go into uni and then reformat on their MS Word so it comes out right on my teachers' computers. I've accepted that this is just how it is. MS Word is the standard and that's not going to change for a long time.

Attached: Lo_16.jpg (480x480, 25K)

>old bloated software, full of crap that nobody uses anymore
You've described all office suites.

>download Microsoft fonts
>all these issues resolved
Try not being a retard and use your brain. If fonts look weird you obviously don't have them installed.

Writer is actually great and I like it a lot better than Word. But compatibility will always be a problem. Also, although Calc is pretty good, it's just a tad bit uglier than Excel and will not take its place. And Impress just sucks, even though Powerpoint isn't great either, but at least Powerpoint is a big name that people recognise, it's practically equal to the word "presentation"

>uni
>teacher
Go larp on reddit.

>doesn't send pdf
Sounds like you're a shit student or not a student at all.

Microsoft intentionally doesn't adhere to their own open standards. So the compatability is sometimes poor. And the programs that do adhere to the standards get the blame (like LibreOffice, Google Docs and what not)

Sometimes I try to enter a time duration, like

02:25:13

And some of the characters turn into little clocks.

>feels nice and modern
this is what I hate about google docs
>like old bloated software
that is why I like it, it's like what I used to use back in the day.

At undergrad and master's level, PDFs are fine, for PhD an editable, commentable document is preferred.

>tfw undergrad
I would have thought the opposite.

At PhD your work goes through a lot of draft stages and is constantly looked over, commented on and edited by you and your supervisor[s]. A PDF is just not suitable for this.

>Not using Latex
Now what meme discipline are we on, history of Etruskians?

It is tho, I submitted mine in PDF because that is the only output I could give, the supervisor then put comment on it, and just wrote what part to remove and add

Probably non-/sci/ PhD

It's so god damn slow it makes me want to eat my keyboard.
But it's perfectly fine otherwise.

Remind me why OpenOffice is bad again

Attached: openofficelogo-580x358.jpg (580x358, 35K)

How does latex do with word documents and shit?

I'd like to just install their word and excel, but couldn't find a way to do it.

Because it's compromised.
wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_27492410.html

It's bad because it's not LaTeX

People were worried about Oracle, which had killed opensolaris, and they decided to just fork it before it is too late.
Then something happened, and OOorg became independent, but everyone was developing LibreOffice, and there were only a handful of developers left in OOorg, and there were 5 year security bugs because of this.

As for MS office compatibility, LibreOffice is 100% compatible with *.docx, because it is open standard. But old *.doc is a still kinda shitty.
Luckily, Office 97 works fine under wine, and serial nuber is 112-1111111

>1112-1111111

Make sure he goes back to the Windows friendly containment thread. That is where he came from.

Writer is fine. It still fucks up sometimes saving .doc/docx files.
In particular, if I save a .doc in fucking LO, it should fucking show me what the god damn file will look like before I open it up later and it just turns out that no matter what, it can't align the text relative to an image properly and spreads the result over two pages.
Also, LO's auto-correct is kind of annoying in ways that MS Office fixed years ago.

Impress and Draw are slow piles of fucking shit. I tried to use Draw to do up a diagram yesterday.
What a pile of fucking AIDS. There's no reason it should be this slow to select elements and the lot.
I connected some lines to join two elements. It looks exactly how I want when it's being dragged... and when I let go, it tries to be "smart" and fucks up.

I haven't needed to use Calc for anything at all, so I can't say jack shit about that.
Same with Base.

>he doesn't use WPS office

Attached: 1560644154772.jpg (258x544, 32K)

Well that's just a matter of opinion user.
Why can no one here just accept people have different preferences?

Attached: Dmr4IZXW4AA7cw2.jpg (1200x675, 100K)

spell check never works "out of the box" and hasn't... ever. Do a web search and you'll see.

Also the interface is uglier and feels slower to use

takes too long to load for me. i dread having to open the program each time. whereas excel/word loads in less than a second