Grado Edition

How to request purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: IMG-8213.jpg (1000x675, 881K)

Other urls found in this thread:

old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9o2f5n/psa_oratory1990s_list_of_eq_presets/
youtu.be/i7hdB32_miw
youtu.be/ELPvnNcf3H4
jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for SUMMIT FI

Attached: 1627C015-DB30-4B5B-BDE4-6CC2EDB04575.jpg (2921x3079, 1.89M)

How is the 1990 compared to the HD800S and HD600??

oh just answered in the other thread

Attached: 98B1683D-BB7A-4B1A-A8D5-9EF4A4443858.jpg (3016x2357, 1.46M)

Remember to EQ your headphones anons! They will sound better!

old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9o2f5n/psa_oratory1990s_list_of_eq_presets/

>eq
>oratory
>reddit
Just fuck off mudbrain

Attached: _20190427_205934.jpg (535x532, 38K)

Hey user, what headphone is it that you choose to listen with this day of our lord?

Attached: 2E8965A5-DFBF-4DCB-8C59-B77CA7018273.jpg (3493x2847, 1.72M)

>meme arrows
Argument discarded

me? these here Stax to be precise

Attached: E64F6BAD-050E-421E-9D53-D4826ECF22D4.jpg (4032x2634, 1.99M)

what are you listening?

Attached: IMG_20190922_124716_942.jpg (1280x720, 137K)

HD555s

its Sunday user, I’m listening to Sunn of course

Attached: BB04D510-896C-469C-80FC-9DCCA482C411.jpg (3701x3024, 1.95M)

Dekoni Blue

>>meme arrows
We are in 4chin, slug

Budget - $300 max but it's still flexible

Location - USA

Source - What are you plugging these into?
Nothing I'm an idiot with not Dac or amp and can't decide which one to buy

Type of headphone - Do you want IEMs or full-sized?
Don't really care

Open or closed (Skip if you want IEMs) - Closed

Comfort level - Better sound

Sound signature (Skip if you don't care) - My last headphones didn't have much bass so I guess bass boosted but not too much.

Past headphones (Skip if you're lazy) - What have you used in the past? What did you like about them and what didn't you like about them?

AKG 612 pro, I hated the stupid wire that couldn't be detached. I have to somehow replace it.

3 MDR-7506

B

U

Y

S

T

A

X

You want bass? The HaaFee HD1 have plenty while still being very clear.

Anyone got some recommendations for in ear monitors under 100 bucks?

Ive got audio technica MX 50s but they're pretty big and I only use them in my house.

Or the Beyerdynamic custom one pro if you don't want chinklhones

Tinaudio T3/Tinhifi T3, why do companies insist on changing their names

Budget: up to ~500 USD for headphones and/or amp if necessary.
Source: laptop or DAP.
I like detailed and bright(ish) sound, but without sibilance or harshness. Should be able to listen for hours without being sonically or physically fatiguing. They need to be comfy.
Previous headphones have been Sennheiser HD598 and Etymotic Research ER3SE.
Looking for the endgame. Help me Jow Forums I just want to listen to music but every damn headphone review contradicts some other review and sorting through this shit to come to any conclusion feels like preparing a dissertation.

TL;DR: help me find my endgame for ~500 USD. Comfy, bright/detailed and resolving. Full sized open headphones.

youtu.be/i7hdB32_miw

Dudes, ES10 over-ear mod sounds like open backs for being close backs.. also angelic treble. Beautiful.

Budget: £250
Source: Laptop/phone
Type: Wireless Closed Headphones
Past: Use Tin T2s daily. Like them bar the subpar bass.

youtu.be/ELPvnNcf3H4

Attached: 1442852085261.jpg (200x200, 9K)

Wiith your criteria the only headphones that come to mind are the Sennheiser HD600 and the Sendy Aiva. If you want something smoother you could also try Massdrop's Sennheiser HD 6XX, It also helps that the bang for buck is ridiculous with the 6XX. Many people consider the 600 brothers endgame material in general but that's a very subjective thing and there's always room for improvement. The Sendy Aiva are a hidden Gem and a bit above your budget but totally worth it and they were the first things that came to my mind when you described your preferred sound signature.

Are the sony wh100xm3 bad? I need some wireless headphones

Very good for wireless

It's time for an upgrade.

Attached: f5eb55d6.jpg (900x1200, 146K)

thinking about L700 mk2 and a 353x, has anybody good reviewed the L700 mk2? anybody on /hpg/ held them?

want to buy some high end stuff but nothing except stax really interests me

Attached: DSC02032.jpg (1500x1472, 169K)

Memes

I have one of those. I think the only review you can find is lachlan's. Anyway, the only differences vs mk1 are detachable cables and aluminum holders, the sound is the same. They're very nice, non-fatiguing and seem to work well for anything, they're now clearly my most used headphones. I also had an l500 in the past and I found it to be meh, I honestly didn't expect the difference between them to be this big.

Attached: _20190709_205535.jpg (3025x2075, 1.44M)

Everytime i wear headphones the sides of my face start to hurt after an hour or so and i have to take them off (also i wear glasses so it might be pressing into that). is this normal for headphones or did i just have shitty ones that were too tight? (some dumb gamer turtlebeach headphones from when i was in college, good quality just hurt to wear)

Attached: 1551411240729.png (576x432, 357K)

Can anyone recommend some good headphones with volume control on the cable for like 200-220$, if possible very comfy for long sessions.

Headphones are not supposed to cause pain.

how comfortable are they wearing for hours at a time? did you try the original L700? do you have any L/R volume imbalances?
I really liked the original L700 and any improved version of it I think would be good enough for me. I was pretty close to buying the old L700 but I've had to move countries a few times

Hey, stax-man. I never had e-stats but would like to get a pair. Which would you recommend?
Spend on an l700 or get something cheaper/older?

So I was thinking about modding my CAL! A little.
Read on some forum that they sound much better with the backs taken off and by golly they do. It's like the regular Cal but with a better soundstage and less muddy.

For obvious reasons I can't keep the headphones open like that, so I thought I'd get some laser cut mdf plates with a bunch of slits in them. In order to keep them as open as possible the slits would need to be as large as possible, but then the interior would be totally unprotected. Glueing some cloth/felt to the inside of the mdf plates would help with that, but what would be ideal for the task?

I still got some beyerdynamic inlays somewhere, you know those disks that are between the driver and the ear. Think those would retain the open character, or are they too thick (~2mm)? Any other ideas?
Originally I wanted to go with one of those very small metal meshes used for PC cases, think that would be better?

Attached: 20190922_161411.jpg (2848x2136, 1.92M)

Pic related is the mesh I was thinking about using...

Attached: 51d8zvigp2L._AC_SY400_.jpg (403x292, 42K)

>Budget
$150-$300
>Location
US
>Source
Computer or media player (3.5mm)
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Open or closed
closed, noise canceling
>Comfort level
maximum comfort
>Sound signature
don't care
>Past headphones
some turtlebeach "gamer" headphones, would hurt after an hour or so and would have to take them off (i wear glasses so i think they were pressing them into my head a lot)

>Budget
$60-$70
>Location
Burgerland
>Source
Connected to motherboard.Do plan on finding a good and affordable DAC/amp when the time comes.
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed.I hate having sound being heard by others around me.
>Comfort level
I want them to feel good for long sessions on my computer.
>Sound signature
Wouldn't really know since I'm not much of an audiophile but I plan on getting more into that stuff.
>Past headphones
Mostly gayming headphones since i wanted a headset with a mic.
Can i please get headphone recommendations where i can use the V-Moda BoomPro mic

>Sendy Aiva
never heard of them (chinkfi?) seem to be well received, and 32 ohm 96 dB/mW wouldn't necessitate an amp.
hopefully more chinese manufacturers can break the stereotypes of poor quality and drive down prices and increase competitiveness of US and EU manufacturers (except for Grado who will make the same shit for the next 3 generations).

Never had a problem with my Grados.
The tops of my ears do get a little sore after more than 2 hours of listening though.

>how comfortable are they wearing for hours at a time?
No issues, they have some weight and clamp, but I can wear them for as much as I want without feeling any sort of discomfort. The pads are way better than those on l500 and I think the slightly increased clamp from the new holders also helps as the old ones tended to slide from my head. From what I've tried, only the adx5000 might be more comfortable.
>did you try the original L700?
Nope.
>do you have any L/R volume imbalances?
No.

I'm not very experienced either, I only have an l700mk2 and a 007a and I had an l500 in the past. The l700 would definetly be my pick out of this three. 007 also sounds very good, but are much more problematic, less comfortable, less general purpose and clearly not worth it as your first estats. I don't know about older models, I've searched the market, seen that there are some really good prices, but never pulled the trigger.

Stax

More memes

>Budget
€200 hard limit
>Location
Netherlands
>Source
Phone, laptop (need a headphone,earbud for travelling,working out purposes)
>Type of headphone
Both IEM and full-sized, Altho i'd prefer if you would look at IEMs first
Bluetooth if possible if not, not some cheap ass plastic cord please
(if you'd like, give me a IEM and a fullsized option if you reply)
>Open or closed
Closed if it's full sized
>Comfort level
I can sacrifice some comfort for quality
>Sound signature
bassy is possible
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-XB950B1 twice (loved the bass) but they broke easily when I accidentally dropped them
Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT currently using and maybe using it for gaming purposes (i have a desk mic)

Anyone tried putting oval pads on round hifiman's?

my 6xx will be delivered tomorrow
so excited desu
probably never coming back to this shithole again tbqh

you'll be back to lift the veil

maybe in few years
god i hope this whole site will be killed by then

>god i hope this whole site will be killed by then

Attached: 1561576353098.jpg (1024x683, 53K)

you are from there tho

How much?

How many of you have tinnitus

Plebean here looking to buy first headphone amp, between the E10K and K3, which one do I go for? Is the K3 worth it? I've heard the Schiit Fulla 2 is worse than both.

It'll be my first ever headphone amp, and I'll probably (probably) use them on HD 6XX's.

Attached: 2805346.jpg (1198x600, 75K)

>Get iSines
>Tried his eq
>Sounds like complete ass
>Sounds even more off than stock iSine sound

>on my 6XX's
that's a no-no frend
you want something more powerful
>JDS Labs Atom
>Monoprice Liquid Spark
>something similar around $100

jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/

160000 and 210000 yen
There's also an on-ear for 90000 jpy.
They all release on 15 november.

>JDS Labs Atom
Thanks. Is this thing good? like I said, first amp so not like I'm picky but I hope it's good enough.

>EQ your headphones
kek I have Grados m8, no need
Perfect out the box

yeah
6XX + Atom is peak comfy and an amazing entry point to headphone audio

alright I'm probably ordering a pair in a month or a few months, I'll stop by /hpg/ again when I do. I'm pretty excited, I've always wanted stax since I first heard them

So just to be clear since I'm a fucking idiot that has never owned anything like this. I buy HD 6XX and I buy the Atom amp, that's all I need, the atom amp doesn't need anything else with it? Like I see DAC/AMP combo shit thrown around a lot and I don't know what it means.

You probably fucked it up if it sounded terrible

>implying

his eq just sounds like shit. reveal is way better better

Atom is not a DAC, you need a DAC as well.
the onboard DAC of your pc (free, you don't have to buy anything) may or may not be up to your standards
it most likely is though
if you want a quality DAC/Amp combo that is powerful enough for the 6XX, get the Topping DX3Pro

You love talking about reddit dont you faggot?

>his eq just sounds like shit.
It's improved any headphones I've tried. iSines definitely shouldn't be perfect OOTB. I'm assuming you didn't set the filter types right.
>reveal is way better better
You mean they sound more revealing un-EQ'd?

How is using an external amp useful if you run it from your onboard 3.5mm?

I just saw the price of the 6XX in eu and cried, so this won't happen. It'd be reaching like 500 eu and while I can afford it, I can't justify it for a first setup.

it amplifies the quiet line-out signal that comes out of the 3.5 mm
you want to connect the external amp to one of the 3.5mm jacks of your pc that is labeled "LINE OUT" (usually colored green)

Just buy a 58X. It sounds basically about as good, should be very affordable even with taxes, and doesn't need an amp.

This is why I can't stand over ears.

But assume the volume is already enough. Would adding an external amp give you any improvement in quality if you still run it from your PC's amp?

for the 6XX? absolutely

>doesn't need an amp
I see this said about the 6XX too, "It doens't NEED an amp but it'll be so much better" etc etc.

But yeah, I'll consider it. 6XX is just too expensive with the rest I have to buy.

I'm just not getting where the quality comes from. My PC amp is plenty loud, so how can an external amp improve on that, especially if it uses the PC's amp as its source?

Actually, would a E10K or K3 work with the 58X?

you may be getting clipped even if it is plenty loud because of pc's bad amplication

just double up

Attached: 8brGh3.png (1198x676, 833K)

But so doesn't the problem then persist if you just hook an external amp into your PC's amp? You could get around this with an external DAC.

$199 used HD 600's on ebay. Should I?

yes

>grado
Baste

>used Sennheiser
fuck no
it most likely has invisible micro-fractures in the plastic and will snap any minute

dismiss this poster's opinions. he is a troll.

*SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAP*

so user, what’s listening this evening?

Attached: 8E03FD83-5F9A-4759-8E95-5FCB28F57A66.jpg (3879x2597, 2.83M)

I'm tempted.

Pic related, they look pretty well. Also, I have ahd the 555's for like 10 years now and just have a little crack on the top, but it's barely visible.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1600, 215K)

fuck off richfag
you will never get into God's heaven

yeah those are about the quality i got for the same price.
my wire finally started giving me noise after ~1year of use so i just ordered a new cable.
supposedly it's coming tomorrow but i doubt it.

heu what's up guys metal571 here

Attached: 4ch11111.jpg (1000x1000, 185K)

Is that some kind of electric hurdy gurdy?

huh?

Attached: 6D83C6D7-2EAA-4F08-9F1F-A1DA0969B31E.jpg (3510x2477, 1.87M)

GOD
HEAVEN
JESUS CHRIST
THE HOLY TRINITY

no, that is a vacuum tube tape delay, a space echo tape delay, vacuum tube drum machine, delay/reverb/piezo thingy, digital mellotron, and circuitbent onmichord.

Attached: 2D8B8BDB-630B-42A6-80C2-22CACA9AC198.jpg (4032x3024, 2.89M)