Chromebooks outsold Windows laptops last year

Linux finally won.

Attached: 9BA505F0-6275-4C5F-815E-285EF7F80BC1.jpg (683x1024, 299K)

ChromeOS is a piece of shit.

chromebooks use linux?

Everything uses Linux kernels besides Windows.

such misogynistic garbage being posted here these days, can't believe this board hasn't been banned

A distro based of gentoo.

arent chromebooks by far the most popular laptops used in schools? at least in the US. when i was in high school we used mac laptops, but i wonder if thats different nowadays

indeed they are

Source?
I've never seen someone using a chromebook in the wild.

ChromeOS is supposed to be locked-down, otherwise its main selling point would be bunk

Besides that, the hardware is decent and cheap

Only real issue is ARM and linux software compatibility, not the other way around.

TL'DR grow the fuck up and accept the change

fpbp

when you use chrome os do you actually feel like you're using linux?

It's just an internet browser with some android apps

It does have its own 'store'

And yeah you can dual boot

They're used in schools. Which is ironic that you've never seen one.

soon its going to have linux app support.

Not all of us are zoomers.

Attached: boomer thinkpad HD599.png (577x387, 62K)

>at least in the US
I don't think any normie outside of US knows that ChromeOS exists

It's like a GNU/Android hybrid that sends everything you do to Google.

>underage

Literally why the fuck won't people buy the Surface lineup, its perfect
>Tablet/laptop
>Runs big native windows app so its based and you can install Linux on it anyway

Its the fucking perfect device

Attached: 131342535.jpg (1106x1012, 70K)

I told you fuckers 2018 would be the year of linux on the desktop.
Who's the faggot now, faggots?

Unlike a Thinkpad you can't use it as a shield and bash peoples head in with them.

>please fund windows
No, fuck off.

How is this cow

It's 11 years ago since I went to school so I'm not sure ironic is the word.

vast majority of desktop users still use windows

*named

Is there a similar device that runs on Linux then? Would also be based

>posts picture of woman who evidently consented to being photographed and more over clearly enjoys it
>misogynistic

>cheap, expendable, can't actually install anything on them so you don't have to worry about tech-savvy students from putting stuff you don't want on them
Yeah, I believe it. Schools put a lot of effort into making sure their computers are useless, so why not just buy a useless computer?

It's ironic you assume everyone to be as much of a retarded child as you.

Fucking Android uses Linux

>What are Thinkpads
Fyi nowdays most laptops you buy just work out of the box with GNU/Linux.

>Chromebooks outsold Windows
No they didn't.

>can't actually install anything on them
Wait, seriously? You cant install anything on a chromebook?

That's not true. Some use FreeBSD.

nope, its just like linux. shit.

Thinkpads arent tablets/laptops combined like Surface bro

Lazy cosplay why even bother?

You can only install things on them if you chroot or follow the crostini train. Last I used a chromebook crostini was buggy and chroot was retarded to do. Lots of people just bite the bullet and install galliumOS or ubuntu on it.
They're not supposed to run anything more than chrome and a few android apps. This is why the shill "great battery!" and "no viruses!" and "7 second boot times!"

You can "install" Android Apps and Chrome OS Apps. But it's all sandboxes and package managed. You have to dig deep if you want to put something on that has real access.

>Literally why the fuck won't people buy the Surface lineup, its perfect
It's doing three things at once and isn't good at either of those
>not a great laptop
>not a great tablet
>not a great digital painting device

Therefore it pleases nobody, oh and on top of that it costs too much.

Microtards had the right idea the world really needs a portable art device, except their pen is shit.
Crapple picked up their idea, did it properly and now ipads with pencils sell like hot cakes.
Why wouldn't anybody just make the pen good is a great fucking mistery.

Surface was nice when it first came out, but touchscreen laptops have caught up. For a little more weight you can have much the same functionality for $300 less and less precision-soldered, easily-broken mobile garbage with all the peripherals in the box rather than costing $200 extra.

The year of Linux is + 1

Yeah but with shitty mobile processors and no real OS support

System76
Purism
KDE slimbook

They're regular laptops, dingbat. You know, computers in a small form factor. You can get them with whatever processor you want.

You really think dollar-for-dollar a branded ultra-thin tablet made by a software company is going to be better than a proper laptop?

He means to say it isn't GNU

This.

If you enable dev mode and dual boot you're essentially opening the doors google has closed, so you need your own firewall etc

most everything an office grunt would need will be found in the base software

define better, for me something like the surface will be better than (stronger) laptops for the same price just because of how portable and comfy it is

You moved the goalpoasts to right where I kicked the ball, genius.

ARM has vastly shortened that distance, has out-of-order instruction, proper cache, etc

The reality is ARM blows X86-64 out of the water in terms of efficiency

You'd have to run some retard benchmark to sense any difference - in the real world nobody would fucking know what hardware they were on unless they looked.

Shame you cant do any proper dev work on them tho.

Up in Canada, I see them here in the bestbuy flyers all the time. But since Canada might as well be north USA its not much of a surprise

>Google got more people to use Gentoo then Jow Forums

Attached: 1562799457847.jpg (1126x749, 105K)

As a cheap internet machine, they are awesome. For productivity, they are lacking.

>ARM
Enjoy requiring a billion ROMs/OS builds because no universal BIOS/UEFI and device bricking. ARM is not consumer ready.

The low end windows laptop is practically dead, barely usable laptops start around 600 and you need to spend 1500 minimum to get anything decent.

Chromebooks are pieces of shit. Chrome OS is fine (outside of the redundancy quirks like having two YouTube apps). The updating protocol is especially godlike.

>runs Windows
>terrible as a tablet
>mediocre as a laptop
>keyboard and trackpad sold separately
>throttled to hell and back
>even less repairable than Apple's products somehow
>costly
genuinely can't imagine who the Surface is actually for. it doesn't specialize in anything and mostly only looks kinda cool

In Europe everything is Windows or MacOS land.

(you)

>when i was in high school we used mac laptops
Privilege spotted

not for long, ARM has taken over server loads

fuck x86

I hate buying products that are near unrepairable

No source
Not foolin me user

People do. The business gets more profitable every year. However you get to best selling by being cheap while still accomplishing everything needed. Thus, companies and schools use the fuck out of these as the company gets to save a lot of money while also offering a locked down system that the user can't fuck up so they're easier to maintain. Since everything is cloud hosted moving between devices is also easy. Mind you Windows Server also solves the software-side problems of lock down and device migration but that's even more cost and something else to maintain.

The Surface on the other hand is more of a luxury item for people who want to take notes on the screen, do graphic work, or just want something portable and powerful. There's a market for that it's just not as huge as Chromebook's use case.

>It's ironic that you're not a highschooler like me

Named how this cow?
How named this cow?
How is named cow?
How is this named?

None of these work. Please learn English before posting on Jow Forums.

U mad cia?

Surface is great if you want a decent drawing tablet or a lightweight laptop with a great screen.

Just don't expect it to ever get it fixed if it breaks down on you

Perhaps it would be even better if the iPad Pro didn't exist.

Surface is just a 2-in-1, there is nothing special about it. It may have some positive changes in industrial design, but there are its cons. From a technical standpoint its overpriced, and not far off from Apple's less = more philosophy. A tard is gonna tard.

What I like about windows is the OEM factor. Strapping down windows to some hardware is a 100% Apple faggotry thing to do (I do not give a fuck).

finally

Attached: cool.png (224x226, 79K)

Generally it's one of the thinnest and lightest options for something that powerful so that's what is special about it and what the rest of the industry has now copied. That sort of design isn't cheap. You're probably one of these idiots who only look at CPU, RAM, etc, as laptop specs, and ignore the most important factors which are size and weight. If you really need power get a desktop and remote into it as needed.

Attached: coomer.png (1545x869, 193K)

You will never be a woman.

>Surface is great if you want a decent drawing tablet
I'd recommend a dedicated USB drawing tablet or maybe an iPad before a Surface. The Surface Pen has trouble drawing slow or diagonal lines that aren't squiggly and jagged.
>or a lightweight laptop with a great screen.
I guess that's a good use for it but it's not really great for lap use because of the keyboard/kickstand. It's generally too much money to spend on a laptop just because you wanted a great screen.
Surface is not a bad device, I just...I can't completely justify it.

>arm is not consumer ready
>vastly more consumer devices with ARM are sold each year than X86/amd64 every year
Huh, what did you mean by this?

I always thought girls with big tits couldn't use a bow, hence the amazons that would cut off a boob

Go be a fag somewhere else

gib milkers

Vegas PG

Attached: vegaspg.jpg (1277x1920, 225K)

This bait. It is good, but not great. Thanks for it anyway.

God, I'm so lonely...

Source. Source. I need q source. I'm gonna need a fucking source on this one, pal. What's that? No source? Into the trash it goes.

Attached: 1567996492678.png (400x400, 10K)

My nephew is forced to use one for high school. I assume the sales are some how related to bulk purchases for students.

How now named cow?

busted, changjeet

Big tiddies trump autistic attention to detail, see jessica nigri

Remember to dilate hun

Attached: munchausen.jpg (644x900, 158K)

My daughter has one. She's seven.

it sells pretty well.
it should just be about 20% cheaper for what you get

>expensive
>keyboard not included, doesn't increase battery life, expensive
>awful keyboard bugs, only reboot works
>fucking glue everywhere
>GLUE
>EVERYWHERE
I got a steal off a friend but seriously anyone who pays the £2000 for the higher up models deserves cancer. These are zero value for money.

Kek, do you actually believe that?

None of the sources that come up via a quick google search are from 2019

bump, winshills and capsoc pajeets literally on suicide watch

source or it didn't happen

So what's MS going to do? Simpy boot into Gnome but keep the spyware and keyloggers from the Windows layer?

Chromebooks don't even offer a real Linux experience.

The thing going for them is that they're dirt cheap. You can find chromebooks under 100 dollars on sale at certain times of the year.

Most are given to children and used as disposable devices. Schools give them away and don't mind losing them because some buy them in bulk. They're also popular with Linux enthusiasts who want to fuck around with distros like Mint.

Hell no. You're better off getting a 250-300 dollar PC on sale than a Chromebook at the same price.

Chromebooks dominate sub-low end market. Devices between 100-200 dollars. No one spends more than 200-300 dollars on a Chromebook. You gotta want one real bad,

A 200-300 lenovo with 2-4GB of RAM, 32-64GB internal memory will be more versatile than a Chromebook at the same price.

High End Chromebooks are a stupid investment. You can't even play retro games on steam and shit.

>Jow Forums got more people to use Plan 9 than Bell Labs ever did
>now Drew DeVault is considering adding accelerated graphics and a Wayland compositor to 9front

Attached: 1569202427683.png (1500x1500, 1.02M)

polyp go away and have sex