ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore...

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming build skeletons and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

AM4 mobos:
imgur.com/qm8xp5w
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric games or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - budget performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
As always, post your completed build if you've gotten help from this thread!

Previous:

Attached: 1569136192005.jpg (1292x969, 210K)

Other urls found in this thread:

it.pcpartpicker.com/user/Katroya/saved/#view=XzFn7P
youtube.com/watch?v=XQDq85VkFNQ&t=4m16s
youtube.com/watch?v=GB5m_VuvSLM
youtube.com/watch?v=aqxL27pmYpE
youtube.com/watch?v=ke3OnFlOUnI&t=4m30s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Cables
forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=312980.0
youtube.com/watch?v=RcDxq0-edAI
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cakh3a/bios_flashback_tips_for_msi_mobo_owners/
linustechtips.com/main/topic/1083167-b450-tomahawk-bios-flashback-help/
youtube.com/watch?v=Muy91S9EmZc
youtube.com/watch?v=-VB_E4R69DU
youtube.com/watch?v=hpyE0S2yKJY
pcpartpicker.com/list/TwLKHB
youtu.be/tShYQ2wq8MM?t=266
youtu.be/ZybfT2sBG2A?t=104
youtube.com/watch?v=GlGjd1GZWdo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.
based

Should I?

Attached: AW2518HF.jpg (1280x1280, 217K)

Try the AOC 24g2U (or aka AOC 24g2 in Canada). It's released here in Canada for $250 Cad but not so sure in Europe or the U.S.

Asus VG279Q.

depends, what are the specs and cost?
is there something else that costs less and does the same shit?

looks great
thanks user

avoid VA panels at all costs.

Undecided whether to get a rx 580 8 GB, or the vega 56 for 110 euro more, thoughts?

it.pcpartpicker.com/user/Katroya/saved/#view=XzFn7P

Photoshop Illustrator Gaming
My budget is 800/850 euro, the less the better though

$349. Probably, but it's hard to find in my shithole.

Attached: Capture.png (974x633, 42K)

This Jow Forums recommended me one and this shit even got burn in.

Attached: Rs8Gl.jpg (4160x3120, 1.19M)

that's some overpriced shit

>RX550 2GB, 95 euro
>RX560 2GB, 110 euro
>RX570 4GB, 145 euro
I need a replacement GPU (coming from a 1050 Ti) for my non-gaming Linux box, and it appears as such that these are identical except for the amount of compute units and RAM. From what I can see, the video encoding and decoding units, architecture and driver support are the same for both.

Anyone have any experience or advice to share? More than video output and some basic video decoding and encoding is all I need.

What's a decent version of the 2070 Super that runs cool and quiet at base clock-OC? Should I stick with Ventus OC, EVGA Black gaming or should I wait until gigabyte's is restocked?

Anyone has the Fractal Core 500 and can tell me what the best airflow setting would be?
I'm using the Noctua NH U14S, one Noctua 140mm at the back and two Noctua 140mm at the top.

Attached: 39d.jpg (1385x1200, 157K)

>240hz
>1ms
Granted it's TN and only 1080p, but it's still 240hz. $350 is pretty middle of the range, afaik.

>VA panels
Testing to find out how things actually behave is a good thing.
youtube.com/watch?v=XQDq85VkFNQ&t=4m16s
youtube.com/watch?v=GB5m_VuvSLM

>rx 580 8 GB, or the vega 56 for 110 euro more
150 vs 150+110.
youtube.com/watch?v=aqxL27pmYpE
Vega 56 seems to have decent performance.
The question is how much you'll lust after new gpus are released next year.

>Testing to find out how things actually behave is a good thing.
I just bought and returned a VA panel because the ghosting was so horrendous

Actually, it was the Gsync version of that LG in the second video.

People are out of their minds if they think that blurry garbage is acceptable

you can save money by going for a 2600 instead of the 3600 since there aren't that much performance difference with what you're using

1TB ssd seems overkill to me
keep the rx 580 the current there are no good card around the 200 mark imo unless you need cuda then you can look at the 1660
get a better power supply you don't need 700w at all you can probably find one easily in the same price range

I'd check professional reviews of a bunch of monitors before buying one.
- there's the panel to consider
- the drive electronics
- the up-front stuff it seems to need to do (that gives you input lag)
- colour, calibration, brightness, etc.

>return
Products have a failure rate.
One return doesn't mean the that particular model is bad.
It certainly doesn't mean that that particular category of electronics is bad.

>People are out of their minds if they think that blurry garbage is acceptable
Then again, I might just be a pleb.
Good luck!

do you really notice any difference between 144 and 240?

I noticed a huge difference, but I don't use 240hz because I hate tn and only want ips

can anyone explain tdp to me? how the fuck are the 3600 and 3700x 65w tdp chips? if they ARE 65w tdp why do they undoubtedly generate a lot more heat than say the 2600, another 65w tdp chip
Also, lets say the 3600 IS magically 65w tdp, how is the 3700x also the same with +2 coars?
thanks

Alright this should be close to final now. $1k budget, for PC gaming, at 1080p. just need to see which version of windows to use, 8 or 10. Thoughts?

Attached: build final 2.jpg (1446x1016, 204K)

the 2600x stock cooler is totally fine because its an earlier gen wraith spire (with a copper base on the heatsink), only ryzen 3000 wraith spires suck ass
Id get an mx500 over an 860 but whatever

TDP: At their _base_ clocks, they are expected to put out that much heat.
TDP doesn't tell you anything else.

>lets say the 3600 IS magically 65w tdp, how is the 3700x also the same with +2 coars
Maybe the 3600 has a higher base clock.
Maybe the 3700x is better binned. (But where do the rejects go? 3200G/3400G?)

>3200/3400G
They aren't even 7nm so nope

that psu is overkill
>msi rx 570
Please don't. Get a rx 580 sapphire nitro+.
>which version of windows to use, 8 or 10
Just get 10.

What mobos have their bios updated for 3rd gen Ryzen chips?

I didnt realise it was with reference to their base clocks, a smart assumption I shouldve made.
Thanks.

Switch out your 2666 set for a 3200 set, trash the 2TB and the M.2 and get a SATA 1TB and a SATA M.2 1TB like a WD Blue. Switch out your PSU for a SeaSonic 550 or 600W.

It's base clocks, but it's also not even that accurate. Both AMD and Intel use their own methodology and put it through different stresses when calculating the TDP, but as far as I know, both aren't entirely accurate, with Intel being more misleading.

Dry run boot check successful although my red devil isn't glowing.

Attached: IMG_20190922_151446.jpg (4000x3000, 3.47M)

b450: MSI 'Max' versions.
x570: Everything.

>Intel TDP
I thought they switched to SDP (Scenario Design Power) years ago.

Is that a dark rock pro 4?

>The question is how much you'll lust after new gpus are released next year.
Hadn't though of that, you're right.
What about the 7 2700x? It priced more or less the same as the 5 3600.
Regarding the SSD I'd rather spend 40 euro more and get the 1 tera instead of a 500 GB, since I get short on storage easily.
I actually got the power supply from a friend for 20 euro so I think I'm keeping this.

>that psu is overkill
why? Need 500W without taking into account the CPU cooler, which says it wants 180W. used a PSU calculator online. and ok I'll check out that gpu

>mx500
what's better about it over the 860 EVO SSD? Also yeah I heard the cpu cooler the 2600x comes with is pretty good, but some people here said AMD cpus run hot so I thought better safe than sorry.

>2700x vs 5 3600
Purely gaming: the 6-core 3600 is a few fps better.
Doing actual work: 8-core 2700x is usually above the 6-core.
youtube.com/watch?v=ke3OnFlOUnI&t=4m30s

I feel I should vary the channels I watch.

Looks good friend, keep us updated!

>CPU cooler, which says it wants 180W
Fucking what? An air cooler simply has a fan on it, it uses a couple watts.
fyi I have a ryzen 2600 and rx 580 and using a 520W psu just fine.

How should I pick a case for my setup?
A320m, 3600, rx 580 8gb, 8gb ram at 3000mhz, Psu cx550w.

Yes

Thanks

I have run into an issue. I am trying to do the vid flashback now but the red light only flashes 3 times.
I am using the latest bios for my Mobo, the USB is formatted to fat32 and the side of the drive is 16 gigs.

Please send help.

Does it matter what HDMI cable I use for my monitor?

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU, but my monitor is fairly old (ASUS VS248). Currently using DVI. It seems like there are there have been multiple revisions of HDMI since I got this monitor 10-ish years ago. Are they back compatible across each version?

Forgot to mention I am using the 7B85v19 bios for the MSI B450 pro Carbon AC

smaller dies have lower power requirements for the same ipc
the 3700x and 3600 are the same architecturally and the 3600 just has disabled low binned cores on the chiplets

yeah my bad 180W is the thermal design power. anyway, the Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 8GB is $348, seems pretty expensive, for just gaming at 1080p. is it really worth it? I'd prefer something in the RX 570s

>the Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 8GB is $348
Can't be, look around more. Should be no more than 200 new. A used one is fine too.

>A320m
No overclocking support.

>How should I pick a case for my setup?
- At least 2 fans for cooling: 1x inlet + 1x exhaust; or 2x exhaust.
- Bigger fans hopefully quieter.

>HDMI cable
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Cables
- Category 1 cable, aka Standard: Tested to 74.5MHz which covers 720p60, 1080i60.
- Category 2 cable, aka High Speed: Tested to 340MHz covers 1080p60, 4K30.
- Category 3 cable, aka Ultra High Speed: Covers 10K@120Hz

>$348
USD? Looks super expensive. Buy something else.

$290 USD at amazon. Where to buy used GPUs? Ebay?

anyone using stock cooler with 3700x?
how are temps idle, gaming (if you do that) and under (synthetic) load? please respond

I have that monitor, it's pretty awesome

Are you trying to flash the bios on the video card?

ESD protection bags are often metalized to conduct static around the outside of the bag, you should have just set the mobo on the wood table. Testing electrical resistance of the bags shows wildly varying resistances, from millions of ohms per millimeter to less than 1 ohm per centimeter depending on the manufacturer.

Motherboard bios flashback.
When I have the USB inserted and press thebl button I only get 3 red flashes

Did you remember to rename it to" MSI.ROM " exactly?

Try this link forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=312980.0

Can you use ethernet cables with a motherboard that has built in wifi, or should you get one without one?

You can use one.

Should I get an aftermarket cooler for my 3600 if I don't really care about overclocking?

you can use ethernet cables. get wifi included in your motherboard, it's very useful and a native chip has a lot of good side effects compared to adding one in later.

Also need to ensure it doesn't have any hidden partitions or a plain weird partition table for crapware or other "value added features"
You can even use both of them at the same time. Although your OS will probably favor one over the other unless you pair them into a bonded interface or something.

definitely not. the main reason for a nicer cooler on that model is for lower noise. even the 3900x can be run on stock cooler in most situations, but at that level you may as well get a nice cooler.
start with the stock cooler, and upgrade it later if you want it to be more quiet or if you have trouble with temperatures.

Yeah MSI.ROM
I know some people mentioned having to use cmd to turn the USB into a mbr so I'll try that next.

Is a new USB that I have formatted twice, once via right click and once via cmd.

Its not necessary but cooler CPU temps never hurt.

Try booting Ryzen at -100C.

Is it 16gb or less? Did you format it in FAT32?

Will a r7 2700 be better than a r5 3600 in the coming years? The 2700 tends to be ~€20 in my country

I would personally get a cooler but you don't need one

If I was in a -100c environment I'd have bigger issues than booting a PC, smartass.

>~€20 in my country
I meant €20 cheaper whoops

Yes and yes.

I used it on my 3800x for a while, it was pretty bad. Idled around 40c and was hitting closer to 70 in gaming load. That wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so loud when it ramped up... which it will be doing on and off, constantly.
It was probably an issue of terrible surface contact. This is what it looked like when I took it off.
I'm using an old 212 Evo now, 10c cooler in each scenario and much, much quieter.

Attached: 20190920_103238.jpg (2048x1152, 682K)

Did you see

5700xt Gigabyte gaming oc vs red dragon?

>ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.
But it's been like that for like 3 years now. You can't realistically tell people "just skip an entire generation of graphics." Because if you could they would have listened decades ago and stopped chasing the AAA shit-dragon after it became apparent that it was awful.

This picture is satisfying

>not being ammonia-based life

good to know, thanks
If I actually get a 3700x Ill probably give its cooler try for a while before buying aftermarket

youtube.com/watch?v=RcDxq0-edAI

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cakh3a/bios_flashback_tips_for_msi_mobo_owners/

linustechtips.com/main/topic/1083167-b450-tomahawk-bios-flashback-help/

hopefully these can help

It's also worth noting that was under exceptionally high mounting pressure. That's just the thin layer pre-applied thermal paste.
That little clip snapped back hard when I was taking it off.

is a B450 fine for a 3700X? was looking at getting the Tomahawk MAX

Attached: b7d.png (1000x1000, 66K)

gigabyte: youtube.com/watch?v=Muy91S9EmZc
red dragon: youtube.com/watch?v=-VB_E4R69DU
red devil: youtube.com/watch?v=hpyE0S2yKJY

It's fine.

about to go and start buying parts. Please rate. I've heard this case needs an tool to get the tempered glass off but other than that it seems nice.
pcpartpicker.com/list/TwLKHB

>have to clear CMOS for flashback to work
the absolute state of BIOS flashback technology
cant wait for this dogshit to get better

is this bait?

>parts ordered

Thanks for the advice Jow Forums, I can't wait for everything to arrive on Wednesday.

>9900K
>NH-D15
>Asus 2080 Ti ROG Strix OC
>Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA
>Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16
>Sabrent Rocket 2TB
>NZXT H510
>Corsair RM750X

No corsair storage?

please don't buy an aio cooler user, it's a waste of money. get a nice air cooler. they work better, are quieter, and cost less.

but the OP says M.2 storage isn't really needed for gaming, why is everyone buying them? WHO DO I BELIEVE?!

Attached: 1553226675396.jpg (686x597, 268K)

Existing data in the sram shouldn't affect the flashing process itself but if the bios developer changed up the layout of settings in memory it could lead to said settings being in an undefined state under the new firmware. That's all on the manufacturer though. The lazy way to deal with that would be to just force a clear of the cmos during the flashing process.

youtu.be/tShYQ2wq8MM?t=266
youtu.be/ZybfT2sBG2A?t=104

If you want a white case around that price that has better thermals, look at the NZXT H510(the non i version)

Attached: nzxt-caja-semitorre-atx-h510-lateral-cristal-templado-blanco-negro-mate-13.jpg (600x600, 62K)

m2 nvme isnt needed
m2 sata is the same as 2.5" sata but runs hotter and has no cables

An RX 580 is good enough for 1080p, and it's cheap. Personally I expect somewhat better pricing on Ampere and RDNA2 next year. According to Nvidia's disclosures to stockholders, Turing has not been selling well. Overall there's been a ~30% (IIRC) decline in revenue, so they might take the hint. Anyway this gen is pretty ass. RDNA has no ray tracing at all, and no one even knows if Turing's ray tracing will be the way of the future or if Ampere will significantly surpass it.

TL;DR: Yeah, it's possible and perhaps advisable to just skip Turing and RDNA.

You have to be 100% sure that that particular A320 can use a 3600. Not all can, and likely even if it can it'll run the memory at 2666. A320 is a minefield

10, 8 is just as ass.

The 3000 series is produced on a smaller node, 7nm. The 3600 is basically a cut down 3700X, which means that (in this case) the bad silicon is still sucking down some power

>non-gaming Linux box
RX 550 or something even cheaper

RX 580, get 3200CL16 RAM.

M.2 is not the same as NVME. M.2 refers to the form factor - it looks like a stick of RAM instead of the little plastic pucks you probably associate with SSDs. M.2 drives can be either SATA or NVME.
NVME is not worth paying more for just for gaming, but at the moment you can get NVME and SATA drives for about the same price so it makes sense to pick the faster one even if it doesnt make any practical difference.

youtube.com/watch?v=GlGjd1GZWdo

chad deals will help you understand

NVMe drives like the Sabrent Rocket and Intel 660p are the same price as decent SATA drives like the MX500.

Guys I was able to reduce my gpu temps by nearly 5c by taking off the side panel of my case (Meshify).
Do you think replacing the single stock 120mm fan in the front with two 140mm fans would help with bringing temps down some?

You have a V56 or something?

I told you anons not to fall for the Meshify meme, but you didn't believe me!

Anyway yeah getting more airflow directed into the case is a good idea, get some Noctua redux fans, they're like $13USD each?