What was a memorable "a-ha" moment you had in regards to programming Jow Forums?

What was a memorable "a-ha" moment you had in regards to programming Jow Forums?

Attached: 582f6ff9e02ba7e5008b55e0-750-563.jpg (750x563, 65K)

Attached: a-ha.jpg (1280x720, 82K)

i don't program haha xD

Take ooonnn meeeee

TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE MEEEEEEEEEEEE OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON.

That following a 20 video tutorial or a 20 page lesson was a lot more useless than just coming up with a simple project and learning from there

Realising that you don't need 200 different types of syntax and 300 data structures to be able to efficiently write programs, you can write anything you need with a handful of primitive types and a hashmap

Attached: lua.png (1200x1200, 72K)

First A-ha moment:
You're SUPPOSED to use libraries and frameworks rather than writing everything from scratch!

Second A-ha! moment:
Oh wait. Every single framework that exists sucks, so you should write them from scratch or at least wrap them in a standardization layer and you'll spend less time finding and working around third party bugs and limitations.

Lua would be alot better with more features though

I havent had one since I finally mentally registered the difference between if and while when I first started. It took an embarrassingly long time.

How to use arrays, coolest shit ever when you first figure it out. No more $var1, $var2, $var3...

>be me
>programming like a boss
>try to complete hello world
>compiler errors
>a-ha moment: im too smart for programming

Then it would just become like all the other scripting languages, lua holds a special place in my heart for how simple it is.

Understanding how C++ programs should be structured in regard to ownership after watching a Herb Sutter keynote

Realizing that low-level programming in post 2000 is a meme.

realizing javashit people are the problem

Its not compiled any extra features must be bloat, and god help you if they want backwards compatibly and you get massive truthyness bullshit

Understanding Floyd-Warshall was what made me understand dynamic programming.

template metaprogramming

data dat dat da dat da da dat dat

That it's more flexible to separate data and functions instead of combining them in a more traditional OOP. Pass data by reference into behavior objects that act on it.

making malloc and free work
learning that variables assigned globally end up in the heap, and those assigned within main are on the stack
realizing that C does not coddle you, you have to track the size arrays, esp when concatenating etc.

I love C. Learned everything the hard way and I am by no means an expert, but it is very fun to create things in C.