Why yes I listen to music and watch videos on optical discs, I like to own not rent

Attached: 1569038642661.png (392x489, 346K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathcore
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Around here, vinyl is selling several times better than CDs again.
What a strange timeline.

Absolutely based

Attached: 1517945708662.jpg (532x396, 35K)

So far in the USA in 2019, vinyl and CD's have sold about the same dollar wise, but CD's had three times the volume.

>wal-mart now has a vinyl section in my tiny town
>all the LP's are pressed on heavy vinyl
>less than $20 a pop

But rent is free as long as its in other peoples' heads.

bump

The thing that really annoys me is that vinyl used to have the different mastering going for it.
Usually it was mastered with higher dynamic volume range but now even vinyl gets squashed the living PISS out of it just like with digital files and CDs.

Attached: 1492244333128.jpg (601x695, 42K)

Honestly, they're probably just converting MP3s into height maps.

It's all probably due to the main appeal in physical media nowadays being more in the fact that it's physical rather than any qualities of the audio itself. Vinyl albums are bigger and easier to display, and at least in the albums I have considered buying physical copies of, the covers/artwork are higher quality, too. Most people buying physical media today undoubtedly already have digital copies as well. I know I do.

I just threw up a little just by reading it. It is most likely true when I think about the horrible sound.

That's not an inherent issue with CDs but an overall change in mastering practices.

> Why yes I'm a retarded nigger with an IQ of 55, how could you tell?

I'd imagine most major studio bands have a good quality digital master with good audio ranges somewhere in their digital vaults. But I kind of doubt whatever cut-rate Chinese company that is mass-producing these Walmart vinyls is using that master copy, they're just using whatever copy some secretary gave them and duck-taping a bunch of out-of-the-box music converter software to their vinyl press machine.

What you need to understand is that the trend of vinyl isn't driven by an appreciation in music quality, it's driven entirely by aesthetics. So "being representative in a pure analog master copy print" does not factor into the marketability of this. All that matters is that they put the song on a vinyl and people will buy it.

>buying vinyl
>buying vinyl that has likely been mastered from an mp3 file
Literally why

As correctly stated multiple times in this thread already - aesthetics. People want to have a visible dimension to their music, something they can hold and appreciate the cover artwork in their shelves at home etc.
Back then this was a nice aspect of vinyl but not the main selling point as it is now.

But all you can get on vinyl now is pop trash

Actually these days if you want an album which wasn't mastered for listening in an automobile you're supposed to buy SACDs or CDs made for audiophiles, like XRCDs. Pretty much every label has been mastering for in-car listening since like 1998 or so. Which is ironic because for the last decade plus car audio systems have had dynamic range control, basically a variable compressor which senses road noise and reduces the dynamic range based on that input. My Toyota has this function and has an 'off' setting as well as three levels of increasing compression, so you can take an audiophile grade CD with good dynamic range and even hear the quiet parts at highway speed.

My local fucking Wal-Mart had Thriller pressed with clear vinyl, 180 grams, and I'm going to go buy it next week and compare it to my original pressing of the same album.

Exactly.

Attached: 1279841892422.jpg (210x259, 8K)

Audiophile type labels never stopped pressing vinyl. Also Rephlex pressed vinyl of (almost?) their while catalog.

I buy physical music albums, then burn them in case they're ever affected by disc rot or other damage. Feels good man.

What is your hand so small and lanky, gigachad?

vinyl is just easy on the ears, plus has no copyprotection. you can literally make new records with silicone putty and some diligence

The droves of people buying shitty top 40 pop on vinyl don't even know what copy protection is, let alone care about it to any degree. Owning music or software isn't just about being able to copy and distribute it.

i got a record of a probably more or less obscure mathcore band last week, it's not all pop

>What a strange timeline.
Indeed. I'll be happy when something exiciting and not just mildly novel happens.

>mathcore
Stop making up imaginary musical genres, it doesn’t make you seem cultured.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathcore

When you originally record digitally everything sucks
Vinyl only really works if you recorded to tape and nobody does that anymore