Are we living in a simulation?

Are we living in a simulation?

Attached: 1521741528107.png (499x338, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vox.com/2018/4/28/17292244/flat-earthers-explain-philosophy.
youtu.be/2KK_kzrJPS8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: 1568674833284.png (311x244, 119K)

>cont

The argument in favor of this theory is that if we suppose that it is possible for any living civilization to reach a point in time when it is computationally viable to make a simulation as convincing as reality, the odds are we are already in one because considering the number of planets that could bear life and the long time span of the universe it is unlikely that we are the original simulators that got to that milestone first rather than the simulated ones that spun out after the lucky ones that got there first

Attached: CZpoOzWIAA9VQI.jpg (1190x785, 97K)

The real redpill is that we're living in a truck driving simulation and you aren't the driver.

Attached: 1547092561414.gif (500x499, 512K)

"Are we living in a simulation" is just atheist slang for "Are we living in a created universe", which inherently implies a creator.

This reality is too bizarre to be a simulation, at least if it was a simulation we could take solace in none of this meaning anything since nothing exists, but we can't even have that.

>a
>creator
For all we know it could be multiple inventors

We might, but we can never actually prove it so for the moment it doesn't matter if we are or aren't

If so it's a shitty one. Seriously, who let Plank's constant be calculable? Just make the resolution scale with how thoroughly it's being observed.

We have no way of comparing our reality to that of a potential simulation. We can't say it's more or less bizarre. For all we know the actual reality is a thousand times more wack than what we have going on here. You can't judge your reality by using a standard derived from that reality.
> at least if it was a simulation we could take solace in none of this meaning anything since nothing exists, but we can't even have that
Well nothing has any meaning anyway, but we ascribe meaning to it and that's what matters.

Why would it be impossible to prove it, if it were a simulation maybe we could find a way to glitch it or somehow manipulate the simulators into redpilling us

Attached: 1499228596380.jpg (380x380, 20K)

Ok, maybe not impossible to prove. It really depends on what level of scrutiny of reality you think is warranted. See: vox.com/2018/4/28/17292244/flat-earthers-explain-philosophy.

It was an interesting read user, thank you

Attached: 1560608581489.png (750x780, 77K)

that logic makes no fucking sense

if we're living in a simulation there must be an environment or reality outside the simulation. what is the nature of the outside-reality?

I'm living MY life. I don't know whose life yall lot be living.

The argument assumes that it is possible to create qualia in a computer which isn't possible. No matter what you compute. And even if it was possible it would be impossible to test so it would not be possible to develop.

Maybe a little.

Just atheists figuring out that it makes sense to believe that the universe is created, but don't want to believe in morality.

Yes
God is just the sysadmin

youtu.be/2KK_kzrJPS8

It's not my own theory

Attached: 8A88DB822B78493E94C0904BE95B7151.jpg (480x473, 28K)

You don't know what you're talking about

yes, and it's being run to study emotions

You're a fucking idiot, you don't understand what qualia is, and you have no idea what you're talking about.

It's not my own argument

youtu.be/2KK_kzrJPS8

Attached: 1554359946175.jpg (835x773, 333K)

Why did you delete the image?

What retarded religious fags do not understand is that by creating a God that created the universe they shifted the fucking problem of creation to the god.

Who created the god?

Hurr Durr nobody

Then you might as well say nobody created the universe. It is the same fucking problem.

But then who created the first "something". Idk help us find out you dumb shits.

Religious fags are so god damn fucking retarded holy shit.

Why are you bringing religion into a simulation thread? Fuck off.

I wrote "It's not my own theory" when I meant to write "It's not my own argument"

Attached: 8A88DB822B78493E94C0904BE95B7151.jpg (480x473, 28K)

Are we living in a simulation of simulation of simulation..?

Attached: 1559040361341.jpg (641x530, 41K)

I think that if we were living in a simulation reality it is likely that it would have some resemblance to actual reality or at least some part of it, considering that the things we tend to model or simulate are depictions or spin-offs of real phenomena

Attached: C9C58E5A75034E188EB268A5CD523752.png (1294x1298, 2.93M)

yes

now watch me simulate a post

Attached: 1564301850270.webm (202x360, 2.77M)

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-23-01-56-32-258_com.instagram.android_1.jpg (1047x1002, 176K)

introspective kot

You're assuming our overlords would be limited to the same silicone shitboxes we are

Everyone knows what qualia is.

It is a religious idea.

Cause and effect is contingent on time and time is a part of the physical world. It is like a programmed machine saying "if someone programmed me then who programmed the programmer", programming relies on the situation the machine is in.

No, If they test it then they have to experience the qualia and they are only experiencing their own qualia. Not something they created.

Actually it doesn't, who created the creator?
It's simulations all the way down! Just like the turtles carrying the earth

>who created the creator
Simulation.

Attached: tenor.gif (220x220, 9K)

>if we suppose that it is possible for any living civilization to reach a point in time when it is computationally viable to make a simulation
That's a bad supposition to make.
I would rather say
>if we suppose that it is possible for A living civilization to reach the point in time when it is computationally viable to make a simulation

>the odds are we are already in one because considering the number of planets that could bear life and the long time span of the universe it is unlikely that we are the original simulators that got to that milestone first rather than the simulated ones that spun out after the lucky ones that got there first
And this makes no sense at all, because if we are in a simulation then trying to back it up with arguments from the structure of the universe is circular. That structure is completely "arbitrary" to the simulation, and we certainly don't have enough detailed information about other solar systems to say how many life bearing planets there are.

Basically all you need to say is this.
If it is possible that a living civilization could reach a point in time when it is computationally viable to make a simulation as convincing as reality, then statistically it is more likely we are living in such a simulation than not.

Made me kek

and when thing go wrong between you and god you get weird ass pagan rituals

We're living inside your mom's pussy.

>"philosophers" resort to increasingly ludicrous means to avoid talking about God

absurd question

reddit question

Probably. Quantum mechanics is big ugly performance hack.

He sounds fine to me, what is he incorrect about

>determinism is beautiful

Believing in God has nothing to do with believing in morality

Attached: Srz7Bji_d.jpg (640x348, 27K)

the programmer's dna is programmed, a different way, but similar. You didnt answer the question

>time is a part of the physical world
lol

Fractal "simulations" creating their own simulations seems possible

Reality is not a simulation per se, but a side effect of some recursive loop thingie trying to keep something in balance in some process somewhere. Who/whatever created it or is using it probably has no idea that it has created something that we consider "life".

nobel prize when?

y'all are crazy!!!

Attached: serveimage(23).jpg (1680x1120, 261K)

>but don't want to believe in morality.
Why do you think so many people believe in karma?
Because if you're a faggot then more often than not people don't want to support you. Surprise, morality.

Morality coming from people just learning how to be social makes more sense than coming from a god who commanded death penalty for accidental killing and also the slaying of women and children and rape in conquest.

only retarded rationalists think so

a strange loop?

It's simulations all the way down.

it's simulations all the way up too

endless quantum potentials endless collapsing in on themselves, the observed observer is observing the observer.

Only faggots believe in karma.
Morality is a made up stuff by chirstianfags. There's no right or wrong.

And then there's this faggot.

>hurr durr dumb christians believe in a magical sky-friend the created everything
>we all live in simulation inspired by shitty 1999 sci-fi, created by terrestrial beings
i love the hypocrisy of new age goofs that rejects any notion of an intelligent creator in favor of made-up nonsense about shape-shifting reptilians, dolphin spirits & trans-dimensional beings.

>t. Moralfag who thinks that karma will get me

Attached: 453b41bbd7e73d0d1fa6e8902db00004.jpg (948x710, 134K)

>god
>not made-up nonsense

Again showing you didn't pick up anything from what I said.

there was no "before" before God created everything
"before" started when the sun and the earth came into existence, which gave us an illusion of time
so no, He didn't come from nothingness

But we still haven't been able to create a simulation as convincing as our current reality, therefore we're not living in a simulation.

>But we still haven't been able to create a simulation as convincing as our current reality, therefore we're not living in a simulation.
That's a poor argument. If we got to the point of being able to create such a simulation would it then become possible that we were living in such a simulation?
Of course not. One isn't dependent on the other.

Everything got fucked after 2012 when everyone realized that we weren't dead and mayans got blown the fuck out
Maybe we actually died and we're in a fever dream
Because everything happening nowadays is very bizarre.

The unmoved mover. The uncaused cause.

the conditions haven't been met so the argument itself is invalid >If we got to the point of being able to create such a simulation would it then become possible that we were living in such a simulation?
are you saying that if you're capable of creating a human then it means you made yourself, of course not
you don't create your own existence

>projecting

right? i remember the years before 2012 being mundane but still pretty normal, 2013 and beyond is when the world started to collectively lose its mind.

Yeah you are right, my original argument was in fact circular, I was trying to remember the gist of what I heard and stupidly made it more complex than it had to be.

I'm not from an English speaking country, that accounts for some of the grammar mistakes.

Attached: bdold1.jpg (604x453, 65K)

It was a simulation.
But someone else hacked it into a videogame. And this someone is Electronic Arts tier.

Anybody saying "we are living in a simulation so you should do x" is spouting religion.
Anybody saying "it's possible we're in a simulation, does anyone have a way to test if we are?" is working the scientific method. Just because it went popsci doesn't mean it's religion at the root.

Dreams are proof that perception is injectable.
Also out of body experiences showing a fucking 3rd person camera.
Get your head out of your NPC ass.

There exists no non-religious reason why any moral claim is true.

>Dreams are proof that perception is injectable.
How fucking stupid are you? Every moment of your existence is injectable. Even if we didn't dream, that would still be the case. The simulator could just stop execution and modify the state before resuming, and you'd have no way to tell anything happened. Even if they fucked up, and you noticed something weird, they could go "oh fuck, one of them noticed. Roll it back and fix that one thing".
>Also out of body experiences showing a fucking 3rd person camera.
This is more normiethink
>Get your head out of your NPC ass.
Hilarious.

It is... Just like how space is. If the universe is created then both time and space is. There was neither time nor space when the big bang happened.

They are totally different.