Debian

debian

Attached: debian.png (300x395, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/DebianUnstable
support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018666072-How-do-I-install-Brave-on-Linux-using-the-terminal-
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

2/10

Jow Forums approved distro.

Attached: 1528629697507.png (1200x1486, 230K)

lesbian

Debian SID with Liquorix kernel and mitigations=off for extra CPU boost

Attached: checked-em.gif (498x398, 780K)

Attached: serveimage.jpg (600x315, 31K)

>default systemd
That's a BIG yikes for me.

debian cinnamon is really comfy

Attached: 1558091276883.png (775x1024, 93K)

what advantage does it have over ubuntu

It's not a botnet like Ubuntu is

>not botnet
>systemd

pick one

is the command sudo apt full-upgrade necessary to go from stable to unstable?

Yes. Just doing a simple upgrade leaves you with frankendebian with packages from both stable and unstable.
Also consider first dist-upgrading to testing then to unstable (in two steps) to minimize trouble.

>not botnet
Ubuntu sells your data to Amazon
>>systemd
Is open source project

>is the command sudo apt full-upgrade necessary to go from stable to unstable?
wiki.debian.org/DebianUnstable

1. Do a full system upgrade (apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade)
2. Change your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to sid
3. apt clean && apt update. Then do a full system upgrade as mentioned in step 1

Also, consider installing packages netselect-apt (for selecting the fastest mirrors, see man page), apt-listbugs, and apt-listchanges just in case to not end up with a broken system

Also,

Attached: smug-face.jpg (1060x988, 119K)

thanks. last time i had an unsuccessful upgrade to unstable, where my machine wouldnt boot, so want to make sure i really do it right. i think the problem was either i went right to unstable from stable - the wiki seems to think thats fine, but maybe not - or i didnt use the right upgrade command

>Ubuntu sells your data to Amazon
nice meme

based Kurumizawa Satanichia McDowell

Are there many packages you CANT use on Debian Stable? I have been testing around, and have been able to add the newest version of Firefox, newest version of Libre Office, basically anything i can download from online. sure they're not in the repositories, but seems like almost anything you can download offline can be used like normal.

From free software: probably none or just a very few, very obscure.
Proprietary crapware: yes. I remember when steam for gnu/linux got released even on sid you had to install glibc from experimental for it to work.

Newest version of LibreOffice to Stable is available via backports repo

I mean you can also just to go libre office website and download it, and it works.

Thoughts on Firefox ESR?

Attached: 0A41BE11-66C3-48F8-A3C3-DA0680477633.png (800x454, 268K)

>>>systemd
>Is open source project

OK, so who is regularly going through those 1.2 million lines of code and fully understands what they do outside of RH?

What is your go to DE for Debian? I installed Xfce but it seems that I have to do more annoying tinkering to do for it to be comfy ( manually enabling tap-to-click touchpad, bluetooth shenanigans, etc), does it work out-the-box with Mate/KDE? or even Gnome?

Cinnamon

mandatory image for debian thread

go back to Jow Forums and never come back

When the FUCK will they go back to sysV

Attached: garrison51.png (498x353, 170K)

How KDE on Debian, are there bugs? Kubuntu has bugs as feature so ...

A rolling release channel, which may be better or worse than Ubuntu's 6-month releases depending on your needs. A FSF-tier separation between libre and non-free packages. Ports to weird kernels and architectures. Democratic instead of corporate governance. A default install geared somewhat more toward experienced users.
I find it a bit nicer than Ubuntu. But it doesn't matter much.

I really wish the Debian wiki had a clearer guide for upgrading. It’s really confusing. To upgrade to testing, they say to use apt upgrade, but when going to unstable they say use full upgrade, they don’t say to use apt upgrade frost (?). They also don’t mention anything about the clean command like you do. It’s pretty annoying now such essential and important information is not clarified very well.

>not CentOS

Attached: Okaa-san Online - 05 -001541.316-#1.jpg (1280x720, 178K)

Being a linux newb I'm a bit confused about something. I've read that debian 10 testing has you upgrade apps as they come until the time that the testing version you're on becomes stable. So now that version 10 has come out does that mean if you download the testing version that you can't upgrade your apps to the latest versions of them and they are stuck to the stable release version that came out on July 6th, 2019?

Also, does the testing version have different repositories?

I'm currently using Ubuntu (pic related), is Gnome debian 10 testing really faster than Ubuntu? Is it worth making the switch?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-22 16-25-28.png (3840x2160, 1.31M)

Stable, testing and unstable are l different repositories. Upgrading from stable to testing/unstable simply means that you change the repositories you pull from.

If you upgrade to testing now, you get the very latest packages offered in testing and will get new ones as they updated.

>systemd
PENNSI Penis Dong, Extra Big Dong Long Length, Brown, Softest and Smoothest Dong

Used & new from $5.99

can you install brave browser from the debian 10 testing repositories and how up to date is the version of the apps. I heard someone say it's still running a year behind on most apps in testing, is that true?

Debian Testing doesn’t even have normal Firefox. You need unstable for that

but with debian unstable they do have brave browser in their repos?

No

1 day left

So should I be good if i do this:
>install Debian stable
> do sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade
>reboot
>change sources.list to point to testing
>do sudo apt update and sudo apt dist-upgrade
>reboot
>change sources.list to point to unstable
>do sudo apt update and sudo apt dist-upgrade

Is that basically the cleanest way to go to unstable?

so how do you install brave browser in debian if you can't add ppas?

You can install whatever you want. Doesn’t have to be from the repository.

but how do you keep it up to date if you don't have it from a repository? sudo apt update and upgrade won't update it.

also, how old are the software in debian testing?

You're probably better off getting Ubuntu instead of Debian. It's clearer about these things but no less powerful.

Debian Testing still feels pretty out of date.

i'd like to change distro but it's not clear to me how you keep a program up to date if you don't have ppas.

I'm already on Ubuntu.

It’s tough. The PPA repositories were a great idea by Ubuntu that lets you instantly get the latest versions of a program. Debian doesn’t really have an equivalent. Technically you could probably sort of convert the ppas yourself and build them. But as a whole maintaining updated software will be more difficult on Debian.

Why do you want to switch? Also have you considered Linux Mint? That’s built on top of Ubuntu so it has access to all the PPAs

I'm interested in moving to Devuan. What init do you recommend?

>But as a whole maintaining updated software will be more difficult on Debian.
ah it's complete shit then, if you have to manually update each program for each of their updates to me it rules out Debian as a viable distro if it doesn't include brave-browser in its repo. I suppose it's okay for all the software it does hold in its massive repo but for other software it really needs ppas. No custom browser with updates = I'm not switching over.

>Why do you want to switch?
I wanted to switch to debian because I had heard it was faster than Ubuntu.

>have you considered Linux Mint?
I prefer Gnome to Cinnamon, I tried LM way back and reinstalled windows 10 eventually.

Have you considered the less resource demanding flavors of Ubuntu, like Lubuntu or Xubuntu? They are way faster than Ubuntu’s Gnome environment

debenis ;DDDDD

Attached: Capture.jpg (785x89, 11K)

You can install Brave using Snappy.
>I wanted to switch to debian because I had heard it was faster than Ubuntu.
It isn't.

I plan on eventually experimenting with a Plasma DE distro but for now I'm wanting to stay on Gnome where I'm not wanting to reinstall windows again until I learn more about linux and am completely switched over from windows for good. I've only had it for a week.

I'm in it first for what I like in DEs but when I heard debian with Gnome was faster than Ubuntu with Gnome it peaked my interest, for the last 3 days watching videos and reading up on the differences. I'll most likely be sticking to Ubuntu over the ppa app updating issue otherwise I heard about Fedora which has Gnome also, I don't know if it has ppas though.

Gnome is going to feel slow no matter what you use it on. The environment is just inherently demanding.

I don't really feel it being slow

samefag here

you can disable animations which speed it up considerably

I guess the point is, you’re not going to get something much faster if you switch to another distro still using gnome

any bit faster would be reason enough for me to make the switch all other things being equal. Would installing snap then through snap installing brave in debian keep it up to date?

install gentoo

Is it really that much worse than normal Firefox?

think I found my answer
support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018666072-How-do-I-install-Brave-on-Linux-using-the-terminal-
>Brave installation via Snap is no-longer officially supported. Since Snap is community-driven and Brave cannot guarantee that they are up to date with our security updates.

I guess it depends if someone uploaded the more current version to the Canonical server

You can have Plasma and GNOME installed side by side and pick when you log in.

>forces you to manually configure settings that could significantly harm the life of your ssd or laptop battery if not properly handled
Literally worse than Arch.

brave on snappy's canonical server is version 0.63.48 which was released on april 24th 2019, current version I'm running in ubuntu and I updated today is 0.68.139

So it wouldn't really work

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-23 11-01-22.png (1468x982, 69K)

fuck yes

Attached: Erairaws_Tsuujou_Kougeki_ga_Zentai_Kougeki_de_Nikai_Kougeki_no_Okaasan_wa_Suki_Desuka_08_1080pMultip (1920x1080, 168K)

I'm using it on a daily basis for the past 6 months.
Pretty good. I have to restart it once a month to free up ram and sometimes it rev up the cpu for unknown reasons, but I never got bothered with unwanted updates forcing me to restart the browser.

Explain

How much does Debian stable feel like you are really missing out on software?

Depends entirely on the user and what he needs for work. They have, by far, the biggest software base out of any distro. Just don't count on having all those ricing tools you have in the AUR.

The wiki is kind of a clusterfuck. In Debian you have multiple ways on how to upgrade to another versions. If you're in doubt you should probably try their IRC channels.

contact me on paypal

Can you please explain what setting you are referring to so I don’t fuck up my battery

garbage

>what is TLP
>what is TRIM
Debian users are literally worse than Ubuntu cattle.

are you retarded?
discard and tlp is not default on any distribution

ok champ

>I'm interested in moving to Devuan. What init do you recommend?
Good ol' sysvinit is ok, openrc & runit are also comfy.

cloveros

Attached: logo.png (2178x513, 42K)

If it didn't have systemd it'd be perfect

They are currently discussing of dropping every init system other than systemd...
The only things currently stopping them are GNU/kFreeBSD and GNU/Hurd because systemd simply doesn't work on those platforms (I think it hard depends on Linux specific features).

mini.iso is the cleanest way

i dont think that comes with the preloaded firmware necessary for wi fi connection though

living in the edge uh

the only reason I've ever found to want something more recent than whats in stable is the morass of crap that is Wine and vidya gaymen. Which I normally try to stay out of. For regular desktop tasks I don't really feel I'm missing out on anything. Like, stable has a 4.19 LTS kernel, and I can't name anything in a newer kernel that I want. Same for Firefox, Debian is still on ESR 60 (they'll push an update to ESR 68 once 60 finally leaves support) but again I can't name anything in the newer versions that I'm mad about not having. The "ancient packages" thing is really more of a feature than a bug in my book. I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of constant upgrades.

I'm curious, what stuff would you miss if you ran your system on Debian's schedule? Can you name such things for more than a handful of packages?