Linux is repository slavery

Almost all Linux users are slaves to repositories meanwhile Windows users can download an .exe file and get the latest version, bleeding edge beta version, or an ancient version of whatever software then want if they have the .exe .

We literally have made habit of frequently changing OS's just to get software we find effective. Solutions have been offered such as distro agnostic pack managers like flatpak and snap, and tools like appimage. However they are primarily ignored in favor of ancient tools like apt-get and .deb.
In Debian/Ubuntu's case apt-get should continue to exist for people who want it and how it saves a lot of space. But developers should be encouraged to take advantage of flatpak and appimage and even tar.gz bundles to prevent software from being chained to particular distros.

Attached: 1469216347936.gif (258x303, 3K)

Just compile from source bro

you are right but people will just call you a mad troll

The first few sentences of your post make it seem like you're trolling, but by the end you actually make a decent point. That said, it is fairly easy to install non-repository apps which don't have admin access. For example, downloading a DRM free game from GoG works pretty much the same in windows as linux. Just get a standalone binary and double click it to run. You aren't really forced to use package managers, but they do make many things simple.

An AppImage is basically an exe for linux

It's GNU, the GNU OS from the GNU project. Linux is just one of the kernels for GNU. You don't say 'macos/darwin' or windows/NT' either.

HOLY FUCK FAGGOT JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP

linux is a kernel

it's it's literally a DMG equivalent on Mac. Literally an iso executed. Old appimages known as "portable apps don't work anymore on newer distros but to be fair new software from app images does work.

I don't think appimages were intended to preserve back forth compatibility. A new appimage format will come out that will be incompatible with a LTS distro.I don't think anyone cares about longterm compatible.

Most developers don't provide executable binaries for Linux.

the argument is for freedom to upgrade, downgrade or use a fork without distro hopping. I am not complaining about an oddball program not in the repos.

linux is just the kernel you fag

just make a package then

Honestly, software repositories are fucking stupid. I use Linux but I still prefer to just download programs straight from Github because I know they are the latest version

>We literally have made habit of frequently changing OS's just to get software we find effective.
I've started using docker containers
Especially for development, for the process isolation it provides
I mean, do you really want npm to have full access to your ~/ dir? I was considering GUIX, but the maintainer is a CoC pozzed idiot who is glad Stallman is gone, so that project is dead to me.

I was instantly turned off by your loaded language, which is typical of someone that holds a position without merit. Having recognized my own bias I decided to give your post a fair chance, but it was just as retarded as I suspected it would be.

Attached: 1451938093016.jpg (1000x1502, 256K)

Linux, sudo apk install fuck-OP

What about nix or guix?

Stop replying age old bait/pasta you fucking newfags holy shit.

Repos are based.

Attached: Linux is repository slavery.png (953x2090, 720K)

it's literally a copypasta
dilate

what about nix?

I use ganoo linucks but I agree with op

>want to install vivaldi
>have to add some goofy keys and repositories

It’s a shame this is now a copypasta troll because I think talking about repositories and their pros/cons is a genuinely interesting topic

this.

Also are you getting money for posting this again and again?

> this thread again

There should be programs that can do it automatically and install needed dependencies for you.

>recommending flatpak
Oh yes so we can download 1.2gb of the same differently versioned dependencies for each program

Please no. Also flatkill.org

>flatkill.org
should be flatfag.org

A true linux user writes his own programs and compiles his own kernal.

Windows is browser slavery

I'm pretty sure Appimages are fully forward compatible.

stfu.
Windows:
>browse the internet
>spend 69 hours to find file
>die of stress
>get malware
>get aids

GNU/Linux
>sudo apt-get install *filename*
>done.

Fuck you please eat a shit.

that's what the OS repositories do, dude. They install the program, and required dependencies automatically.

and any source git tree for a software project with a half-decent build system will tell you what dependencies are needed, making the process of installing those deps to your system as trivial as installing them from the OS repository directly.

Another benefit of this system is that you don't walk around with a billion different versions of same dependencies like you do on Windows.

you can't just lie on the internet, bucko. and to adress the thread you only ever have to worry about dependencies if you're using a literralywho distro, and it's difficult to find a windows installer if you're using a litterallywho programme

i think the root of the problem lies in in meme unix philosophy of binaries linked against only one version of a given library dynamically
this causes every single github repo to not include linux binaries but even the most trivial tools are built in a self contained .exe that does everything for the user, whether libs are linked statically or provided in a standalone directory in install path it Just Works™
if the kernel had a built in way to manage libraries versions seamlessly that would allow a package A install libx v2.0.0 and package B install libx 2.1.0 in such a way that whatever binary seeking for lix would find what it depends on, that could put stop to repo slavery

They don't see the glaring weakness in Unix Philosophy.

They have to repackage a thousands of packages over and over again. Simple tools like text editors have to be maintained or they will break compatibility and go obsolete by minor tweaks to libraries. If no one maintains it, it usually dies and won't be repackaged. More advance software is far more difficult to maintain as well.

A windows .exe discontinued in 2005 meant to do a specific task will still work on Windows 10 or wine. The dev could forget it exist and go do boomer lawn mowing things. Mean while the only projects that last in Linux are the ones by Mozilla, Redhat, KDE and the GNOME. These are the only faggots that waste time in this hostile digital ecosystem.

Indie devs in the future are just going to give these bastards the source code and an appimage, they aren't going to waste time learning about the "Linux Ecosystem" and these linux bastard ingrates should be thankful.

Every day you post this Microsoft nazi's, I'm going to post BSOD, if that's the point we're at.

Attached: artbsod.jpg (620x465, 71K)

dude BSOD can be caused by something as simple as plugging incompatible external hardware, they usually resolve quickly.

Didn't Gobo Linux and Nix solve this?

I keep hearing contradictory information.

No one gives a shit.

Attached: CSKP.png (1920x1080, 1.01M)

So... source-based package managers?

This thread has to be reworded. This is what OP meant.

Why can’t there just be an independent program that does it

>just use the package manager!
You guys need to stop pretending that package managers always have the most up to date version of software. Rarely do package managers actually have the latest version posted on GitHub.

>Simple tools like text editors have to be maintained or they will break compatibility and go obsolete by minor tweaks to libraries. If no one maintains it, it usually dies and won't be repackaged. More advance software is far more difficult to maintain as well.
how did windows actually stop it? what makes 15 years old random binary still operable on 10 minutes old windows build

Based.

static linking or keeping old libraries.

Stop posting this blatant falsehood.
No, Linux isn't repository slavery, you can still install software "The Windows way" just download a .deb.

It just so happens that repos are a SUPERIOR way of installing almost all software, which is why it has been chosen every time a company has had to make the choice between "The Windows model" and Repositories.

but user that directory you navigate to to download an exe for your windows machine is a repository, it just uses a web interface

Who ever said that?
If you want the newest version compile from source, neither the windows model nor the Repo model prevents you from having to do that.

that is already a feaure

it's possible to have multiple versions of a library installed at the same time, though it's usually enough to only have the latest version of a given API (in semantic versioning, this is the major version number).
The calling application can be made to use the right version of the lib with the LD_PRELOAD env var, though I believe people prefer simply rebuilding and relinking software against the latest implementation instead. And that's the main advantage of the Linux eco system right here; The full source code is *usually* still available, so if noone's maintaining it it's a simple matter of rebuilding it and linking it against the latest lib versions instead of maintaining old libs. On Windows you have no choice but to keep a collection of all these libs, because there is no hope of those old applications being updated and relinked against modern libs.

the devs website has a fucking downloadable .exe

.deb files are linked to shared libraries and if you force install an incompatible .deb from a newer or older distro it could cause dependency hells.

Developers aren't even fucking enough enough to provide .deb's that I could build on legacy distros.

The forced update agenda on Linux is stronger then anything Microsoft could do.

>distro agnostic pack managers like flatpak and snap
>distro agnostic
Not as long as it depends on systemd

By this point I feel like we should be able to instantly install anything from a git clone with a simple command.