Tech industry sets official standard for 8K TVs

engadget.com/2019/09/22/cta-8k-tv-standard/?utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=morningafter

The tech industry just took another step to nail down the specs for 8K TV. The Consumer Technology Association has unveiled the official display definition for 8K sets, including a logo TV makers can use. Any model needs to output at a minimum 7,680 x 4,320 resolution, support 24, 30 and 60 frames per second, produce 10-bit color, support key HDR functions and use HDCP 2.2-level content protection. It also has to upscale any video to 8K.

Devices can start using the logo on January 1st, 2020.

The definition isn't a great stretch when early 8K TVs already meet the definition. This is, to a degree, a formality. It does set baseline expectations for what 8K TVs can do, though. You shouldn't have to worry that a given screen will fall short on key specs, and you could see more brands keen to tout 8K than they have been in 2019.

Attached: dims.jpg (1600x1033, 342K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hdfury.com/product/vertex-4k60-444-600mhz/
deliciousslurper.blogspot.com/2019/03/8k.html
samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-8k-tvs/55-class-q900-qled-smart-8k-uhd-tv-2019-qn55q900rbfxza/
youtu.be/1VpWKwIjwLk
youtube.com/watch?v=D9K9oU_VTQ8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>8K
>Consumer Technology
It's retard tech for milenial morons to brag to their ''friends'' or so

>HDCP 2.2-level content protection
pirate scum forever btfo

I just was at CEDIA last week and walked away feeling that if you are going to do a display upgrade, probably better to wait until end of 2020.

interesting how this only screws over the people who are actually watching their content legally. what were they thinking?

Attached: commanderhonkhonkrussels.png (330x316, 70K)

>screws over the people who are actually watching their content legally.
How so?

FUCK I just bought a OLED lg c9 this year. My first new tv in 15 years now you’re saying I should’ve waited until 2020?

The pirates will crack it in no time like they always do.

Where it fucks a legit viewer over is that HDCP 2.2 is not backward compatible with the previous versions of HDCP that are currently used by most of the HD devices in all our homes. Thanks to its ignominious track record of exploitations, the protocol required a clean refresh, and since it's implemented at the hardware level, manufacturers can't simply release new firmware to bring old gear up to speed.

In order to watch copy-protected Ultra HD content--be it on a disc, a download, or via an over-the-top stream—you’ll need HDCP 2.2 compatible devices at every link in the signal chain. So, prepare to get fucked.

my tv is still 720p

Your C9 likely meets HDCP 2.2-level content protection

I still have a 1080. I want a new tv because the black levels are so much nicer now but I have no idea when it makes sense to buy. I'm not in a rush but eventually I'd like to get something. Wait until late 2020? Isn't there a new HDMI standard coming out too?

Thanks. That really is messed up, but how are you so sure pirates will crack it?

Well they can already use something like hdfury.com/product/vertex-4k60-444-600mhz/ to get around it, and eventually the whole encryption or whatever will be cracked. Or maybe it already has. It is literally a non issue for pirates. They already post Netflix stuff that uses 2.2. It's only a pain in the ass for people who legally get their content and end up with blank screens because of handshaking issues.

This is awesome.

Yeah. A lot of people use them in situations where they have a 1080p projector and a 4k TV connected to the same receiver or processor. People with home theaters setup that way. Or if you have a 4k projector that doesn't do UHD, so it will tone map it for SDR.

I bought one too and don't see a problem. What could possibly be locked behind HDCP2.3? The PS5 / Xbox Two, locking out like 99% of their buyers?
The C9 offers HDCP2.2 which should be fine for everything UHD and if they still decide to fuck around, I will just pirate. And 8K Contend? Top fucking kek.

>7680x4320
>8K at 30FPS = 100mbit/s

We're gonna need way fatter pipes, America's internet infrastructure can't handle that kind of streaming.

You're fine. I mean the 8k shit is going to come on slow and a lot of people are going to see they don't even want it. The streamers are going to have to compress the shit out of it too, and nobody has a big enough tv where the 8k even matters.

I went to CEDIA and saw a comparison demo done by literally downsampling on the display, as a product DEMO (so they make it look as amazing as possible), and the different is peanuts. It's bullshit.

That's the way it is, it's even worse for games. Some games actually run significantly better when you pirate them because of DRM.

If pirates could be btfoed there wouldn't be need for a 2.2, faggot.

so? just stream 1080p like they've been doing
you know how many people watch netflix on a 4k tv and think they actually get 4k?

>In order to watch copy-protected Ultra HD content--be it on a disc, a download, or via an over-the-top stream—you’ll need HDCP 2.2 compatible devices at every link in the signal chain. So, prepare to get fucked.
You act like this is somehow difficult
HDCP 2.2 has been around for years, since like 2015, if you have bought anything that is capable of 4K HDR it's capable of HDCP 2.2
If streaming you need nothing else but the TV to do it now a days

Samsungs 55" q900 is a mere $3000. In a few years itll probably replace higher end TVs altogether at the $1500+ price point. That's equivalent to 4x 4k 27" tvs for reference. Might as well stop buying monitors

Most streaming services will offer it at 8k but it will be bit starved.

Cool can't wait to watch zero shows in 8k because most aren't even in 4k yet.

Attached: Z21MhMH.jpg (1920x1200, 409K)

>4K not even fully mainstream yet
>not everyone has a 4K TV
>STILL not enough 4K content (outside BD)
>(((they))) have already started shilling 8K despite it being useless at anything under 80"
i just want my microled you cunts

Even low end TVs have been 4k for like 4 years. They'll still be 4k for a few years as 8k trickles down

>and use HDCP 2.2-level content protection.
Top fucking kek. As if I’d shell out thousands for hardware that’ll get obsolete and incompatible with newer ones in a couple of years.
I’d legitimately pay for entertainment if it was offered to me in a DRM-free format. It’s ‘their’ loss I guess.

>not everyone has a 4K TV
If you have purchased a 55"+ TV recently it's most likely 4k, unless you live in a shithole

2.2 is not new

The reason to upgrade your tv is to get HDR, not for 4k. And 8k is just a meme unless you have a 200" projector screen with stacked top of the line projectors.

that doesnt mean that most people have thrown away their perfectly functional 1080p TVs just because shiny number (unless theyre consumerist retards)

also this

deliciousslurper.blogspot.com/2019/03/8k.html

Japan already has one 8K TV channel, someone even captured a sample.

HDCP has watermarks in the spec by the way, even if you capture the video using a splitter they're still there.

Yikes, actually believing this.

The few times DRM caused issues, it was the companies fault for using it wrong. You are implying it was the DRM not the retard devs completely fucking up. This issue also has not been replicated in years because idiots figured out how retarded they were being.

Too bad they didn't push to make VRR and 120hz at lower resolutions a mandatory feature.

Most companies already do 1080p/120, some doing 1440p/120. LG now does Gsync. Would be nice to be forced.

Higher end models will always tend to have 120Hz input support
Even Samsung's 8K is a native 120hz panel and will take 120hz on the HDMI ports
I don't think it necessarily has to be forced as most of everyone has done a pretty good job of adding support and even the ones that don't claim support still accept the signal
VRR support will probably come as standard in a few years anyway as the all the new silicon used to make HDMI 2.1 TVs will have support for it and those TVs that still don't have VRR support would had to intentionally disable it

You can expect most of them to support VRR on hdmi 2.1 because the xbox already supports it.

What they should really force is support for 8k 120hz using DSC. Games? Just use a resolution slider. Enjoy an 8k desktop at 120fps. Nice

>but how are you so sure pirates will crack it?
lmao

Attached: 120.jpg (716x434, 83K)

Goddamn I just started thinking about getting a new TV

Call me when I can buy a 4k TV or monitor for under 200$ without discounts.

27" 1440p Monitor = 109 PPI
55" 1080p HDTV = 40 PPI
55" 4K HDTV = 80 PPI
55" 8K HDTV = 160 PPI
How does it feel to know even giant TVs will soon have finer pixel density than 99% of all PC monitors?

You can buy 55" 8k TVs right now

samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-8k-tvs/55-class-q900-qled-smart-8k-uhd-tv-2019-qn55q900rbfxza/

Yeah, I don't see any reason for 8K, except maybe stuff like public viewing etc., but consumer? Ahaha, nice try corporate jews.

>How does it feel to know even giant TVs will soon have finer pixel density than 99% of all PC monitors?
>soon
Nobody has been innovating in the PC monitor space for years now. We were fortunate LG even bothered to push IPS panels to better MPRT with their UltraGear models recently. All the R&D money goes to TVs.

I want 8K in 27" which would be ~327 PPI. The human eye can still discern discrete pixel screen door effects all the way up to around 500 PPI. I want to be able to rub my eyeballs across my screen it just look like a pane of window glass. I want to see the end of aliasing as we know it.

Attached: 20-Toshiba2.jpg (920x1440, 641K)

Those monitors will be 8K too retard.

Monitors I can see higher resolution, because you are sitting so close. For a TV you just aren't close enough for it to matter.

My hope for TVs is that we'll get microled panels, or similar technology, that can be purchased as grids that are put together. Then we just scale to the resolution. So maybe they sell them as 42" grids or whatever, couple different sizes. You can make a 2.31:1 or a 16:9 or whatever in whatever combination of these grids you want to buy. I'm not sure how well that would work, but, I'm just talking dreams. The seaming would be the issue obviously.

At what distance is that? Eyeballs have a maximum angular resolution of like 1 arcminute.

>support 24, 30 and 60 frames per second
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT!!!!
When these shit will die?! It should be 60Hz up to 300Hz MINIMUM!!! Not 24Hz or 30Hz

QFT. Even if there's a bandwidth limit between deep color, framerate, and resolution they've already improved the other two. What are they afraid of?

Me too, 1080i
1080i is a bliss because some PC games will run at 50% such as Dark Souls Remastered

Not all of us live in the third world like the USA

8k 120hz would require the use of display stream compression, which, while a standard is a VESA standard that HDMI 2.1 now supports. So there's probably some legal fuckery going on

It's meant for games and artists

>games and artists
>enthusiasts

Nah, you've never met home theater nuts. These are the kind of people who spend thousands building in home theaters with $10k sound systems and the 98" TVs. They arent fucking around.

I met one,he paid me 400$ to setup his home cinema around 2006. That fucker already had a some 62" 1080p Dell HDTV that as over 150 pounds heavy, TOSLINK cables for sound (was my first time touching that) and original Xbox with the HDTV box and a PS3
He has spent 15K back then on all of it

IMO new standard should support native resolution (8K) at 120Hz, not just 60Hz. A high quality upscaling method should also be part of the standard since this is getting ridiculous.

Will there be a new cable type for 8k, or will I need to have 4 hdmi cables ready to go along with a gpu that supports it all?

HDMI 2.1 & DisplayPort 2.0

are you new to the internet or what?

youtu.be/1VpWKwIjwLk

>and use HDCP 2.2-level content protection
lol the entertainment industry can get fucked, when has DRM ever worked

>how are you so sure pirates will crack it?

Attached: 1450911323985.jpg (301x400, 17K)

We don't even have 1080p w/o compression

Yeah you need to have support for 48Gbps. The cables aren't really out yet other than some esoteric fiber shit. Some of the newer TVs have plans for supporting it after the fact, the 8k upscaling ones anyways like the new high dollar Sonys.

None of you know shit about cracking HDCP, or maybe you can explain on the technical level what makes the cracking of it possible in all cases?
Just because it got cracked all this time doesn't mean it's going to get cracked the next time, protections get improved and change.

Monitor market is fucking sloooooow and dead
4k isn't even mainstream and 8k will never be

Any decent cable will be able to do 48Gbps, there was never an intention to bring new cables or to change over to fiber for that matter

just bitrate starve everything to death like they always do

>8k
>Consumer Technology
wait wut?

Attached: wtf.png (2112x960, 1.3M)

Go a little smaller and 8K is consumer technology

Attached: 1563980347908.jpg (2430x1472, 378K)

>55"
what is this, a TV for ants?

Attached: 8k.png (1280x720, 65K)

We already don't have the bandwidth to do single cable 8K60 without DSC yet

This will be great for VR

I don't see the issue with DSC, it's been around in phones and tablets without fuss and is suppose to be visually lossless

Yeah and unfortunately DP 2.0 looks extremely niggerlicious: Type-C connectors and either active (expensive) cables or cables permanently affixed to the display.
I don’t know how VESA could fuck up this badly.

>I don’t know how VESA could fuck up this badly.
They needed something quick, they where already way behind their original intended release date for the version after 1.4 and they couldn't let HDMI have the bandwidth advantage for too long

You should be all set for 4k now, I'd go OLED, but thats my opinion. As it stands, game consoles can't do legit 4k yet, especially not at decent framerates, broadcasting is still largely done in 1080p, most cable channels are 720p, streaming sucks ass and always has, many but not all 4k blurays are upscaled 2k. The HDMI standard for 4k has already been put out. There is not content in 8k atm.

Do you know how many people are watching upscaled content from AV cables?

My receiver didnt have hdcp 2.2, it has 4k passthrough but not hdr. That was an unwelcome surprise, but not all that annoying. I simply by passed my receiver and hooked up an optical cable to carry audio to my receiver. Its fine because I'm only running 5.0

>it has 4k passthrough but not hdr.
I hate when manufacturers play this bull
There is a lot of things that are advertised as 4k capable but it's only HDMI 1.4, they are not necessarily lying about 4k support but it's only at 30hz and no HDR
You sometimes have to go out of your way to find something that explicitly states 4k and HDR or just HDMI 2.0

Its all their desperate rush to keep selling tvs, buy 4k! pay websites and youtubers to make content that screams, SCREW 1080P, ITS ALL ABOUT 4K NOW! There's absolutely no reason at all for most people to buy a 4k tv, they get at the largest, a 55 inch set. They put it in their living room corner and sit 12 feet away and then complain when there isnt a visible difference. 4k should be reserved for 65" and 8k, god idk 90"+?

They have to keep pushing people purchasing new TVs because the margins are very slim on consumer commodities with TVs being possibly the best example because of the diverse competition
> There's absolutely no reason at all for most people to buy a 4k tv
You may have had a point a few years ago but damn near all TVs are 4K now, it doesn’t matter if you don’t need it as forcing yourself to look for a 1080p model locks you out of 95% of the market
> they get at the largest, a 55 inch set.
55” isn’t even considered large anymore, it’s basically what constitutes a normal sized TV now, to be considered a large TV now you’re looking at 65-85 inches.

This is the whole reason why they are pushing 8k despite 8k having z e r o benefit to your average buyer.

>get excited for product consume product get excited for next product

HDCP 2.2 has been around for years
That was not an announcement that they are introducing a new version, hell if anything it's an announcement that your equipment will still work for 8k even if it's still only hdmi 2.0, it would be at 24hz but it would still work

>8k for anything other than VR
If there's one thing Apple does right it's not falling for the "resolution higher than retina" meme.

>Get tv with HDCP 2.2
>open TV
>dump unencrypted signal on the other side of the chip
And this is the worst case. Most likely there will be just a chink HDCP 2.2 decoder out in a year tops.

>You may have had a point a few years ago but damn near all TVs are 4K now, it doesn’t matter if you don’t need it as forcing yourself to look for a 1080p model locks you out of 95% of the market
I just tell them not to upgrade, since most people aren't upgrading sizes, or aren't rearranging their living rooms to take advantage of it anyway. Its only worked a few times, people wanna waste money anyway.
>55” isn’t even considered large anymore, it’s basically what constitutes a normal sized TV now, to be considered a large TV now you’re looking at 65-85 inches.
Thats part of my point, 55" doesn't mean shit anymore, yet nobody wants to pay more than a few hundred (maybe 1000 dollars), which locks them out of sizes that benefit from 4k. Then they complain its not a big enough upgrade.

Do you remember that stupid stimulus package Bush Jr did? I was a stockman at Walmart at the time, and all I did for months was carry out new flatscreen tvs for customers who were buying it with stimulus money. Consumers know fuck all about what theyre buying, and don't give a shit when you try to explain the difference. Only if they can afford it and its new.

I hate people

Static 8K resolution won't make much sense if they don't improve contrast modulation standards.
youtube.com/watch?v=D9K9oU_VTQ8
^I reccomend watching the entire video or skip to 14:26 for the informative parts.

Attached: Can 4K be better than 8K_ – LG OLED C9 vs Samsung QLED Q950R 17-36 screenshot.jpg (3840x2160, 2.93M)

>he has a tv

the 8K shot is literally not in focus. dude is a dumbass.

hitler of true

damn, what a waste
extrashot BTFO I guess

I love watching 4k videos on my 1080p monitor. Since when recording a digital video and compressing it to play the actual frame resolution is around 1/4 of the total resolution. 4k is 4x 1080p so I get what a 1080p video would look like if there were no compression.

Gotta keep selling the retards newer shit to replace their new shit. Despite the fact no one is producing 8k content.

What would artists use 8K TVs for?