What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: flatpak-logo.png (400x300, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/yay/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nothing. Steam on flatpak just werks™.

Proprietary software

AUR is bigger and more trustworthy

Do a lot of programs have limitations with it? I avoided downloading retroarch from this because their website says:

>Universal packages, such as Snap and Flatpak are maintained by the libretro team but have some limitations resulting from their sandboxing techniques, such as lack of support for Vulkan and a small number of cores not functioning as expected.

So maybe there’s something about Flatpak’s system that isn’t optimal

is this how inferior distros cope with not pacman?

it shares native themes and some libraries amongst other flatpaks meaning the usage for forward and backwards compatibility is going to be harder as opposed to earlier versions of flatpak.

Take this hypothetical scenario. I have a flatpak of Gimp (2017), but want Libre Office (2019) One of the programs has a chance of breaking due to flatpak's sharing libraries.

Linux devs don't give a fuck about reverse or future compatibility, it's just update everything or stay static.They have successfully forced voluntary updates better then Microsoft could have ever imagined.

Attached: 25923982390.gif (258x303, 3K)

It’s 2019, why the fuck isn’t there a universal tool that can very easily install a program from source code and download needed dependencies?

It's perfect

>They have successfully forced voluntary updates better then Microsoft could have ever imagined.
and that's a good thing

why aren't dependencies statically linked in the source code?
config make install NEVER WORKS! If you force a .deb to install you could get a dependency hell the next update.

botnet friendly OS, nobody even reads the source code.

Shared libraries make linux a sinking ship.

Slave, you can't update one particular program without having to update all of them. That's fucking retarded.

What? In the software center you can pick and choose what will be updated.

Vulkan just werks on my proprietary NVIDIA system with flatpak, perhaps you read something outdated.

So where do you get flatpaks anyway? flathub isnt exactly growing at a practical speed

This is dumb. Why wouldn't they allow for sharing some stuff that is the same like libraries that are identical versions? Or better yet allow for the devs to config if they want this or not and by default have it on. Doesn't make any sense, the whole reason to use flatpak is to avoid this shit

> AUR
> trustworthy

sure, enjoy your miner

>flatpak
>usually created by third party

>AUR
>usually created by third party

I see no difference here.

Why do Linux distros discourage you from downloading outside their repositories? So if I download something from online, who cares?

There is, it's called cargo and it's amazing for Rust. Literally the best reason to use Rust

Fuck compiling C/C++

I can't even get different llvm versions to coexist

Because you loose the ability to update conveniently (which has security and reliability implications) and the application may not always be compatible with the systems libraries (gtk, mesa, blabla, something like that)

Static linking software is 100% possible on Linux, it has been for over a decade ever since early forms of app images from 2006. It did not gain popularity until 2016 sadly.

Not being a repo slave is in violations a 1970's proprietary OS's philosophy (unix philosophy). As well as an unspoken philosophy of the user being a bug tester subjected to rapid updates. (arch btw)

he literally admits source built software and custom repos have a chance of breaking shared libraries.

>why aren't dependencies statically linked in the source code?
because the don't use LGPL for libs?

what ever happened to sta.li

One is sandboxed. Other is you running a random build script as root.

If you're using a modern aur helper, you literally can't start the build process as root. You can edit the PKGBUILD before you actually execute it. No excuse.

Attached: wiicity-20190922-0005.jpg (828x828, 60K)

>admits
I'm not "admitting" anything. That's just reality. It's literally one the the arguments in favor of flatpak.
>running a random build script as root.
You have never used Arch have you? If you use makepkg directly, it warns you if you're root. If you're using a decent AUR helper it isn't possible to run it as root.
>One is sandboxed
>Collects the password you typed in
There's more to security than just sandboxing.

Maybe Linux doesn't bundle dependencies with its applications because a dependency might have a vulnerability and you'd really be at the mercy of the particular package maintainer to keep all of their libraries up to date.

>what are ebuilds and portage

how many of those kinds of things were there?
know there's flatpak, snap, appimage
which one is supposed to be sandboxed and able to get themeing right?

oh and easy to update

I think flatpak did not went wrong per say. As mentioned here:
Linux is lacking of a good actual proper sandbox mechanism to handle those things. Not bragging about jails on BSD at all.
But flatpak limitations could be used as signal to the community start work on shit that matters instead of spending hours re-packing distros using the same broken formula. Fedora is doing it. May not be for the reasons or motivations that we dreamed but you have plenty of examples out there of distro that are trying over and over re-inventing something is supposed to be improved not rewrited.

Most of the packages/formulas over yaourt do that.

>over yaourt
Yaourt isn't a repository. You must be referring to the AUR helper yaourt. Don't use yaourt. It is unmaintained and lacks features. Use yay.
aur.archlinux.org/packages/yay/