What was your initial move to Linux like?

>Windows continuously gives me the blue-screen-of-death
>flash Ubuntu onto USB
>check programs, see Libre Office
Wtf, why does Linux use Spanish software?

Attached: real_boomer_meme.jpg (540x762, 49K)

lol.

wtf i love apple now

its southafrican for library
library office

>found out linux doesn't have notepad++
>install wine
that's about a twelve on my yike meter

A thread died for this

i had installed ubuntu with a nvidia gpu and at the time it was a pain in the ass to get nvidia drivers on ubuntu and i broke x11 in the process somehow
then i moved to some arch based distro and shit just Werked surprisingly
still better than windows where it'll just die after months of reinstalling and it becomes an endless cycle

>WTF this os sucks balls
>spend 5 hours ricing
>WTF this os is awesome

Install notepadqq

>find out you can't do manual partitioning with lvm and encryption in gui installer, you have to do it by typing some weird commands like in 80s
>find out it doesn't have foobar
>find out it doesn't have notepad++
>find out it doesn't have mpc-hc
>find out it doesn't have potplayer
>find out it doesn't have irfanview
>find out it's not as free as in freedom as they said because I can't remove Analog Clock package or it will remove whole KDE
back to windows 7 it is

Attached: Clipboard01.jpg (256x282, 10K)

>boomer uncle asks me to fix old laptop from 2012
>clean up what I can, figure windows is taking all the RAM and Linux would run faster
>Google "Linux for newfags", either Ubuntu or debian
>Ubuntu seems to have a cooler default wallpaper, sold
>Spend a week figuring this shit out and writing some kind of guidebook

dillate

>2011
>oh look screen tearing
>2019
>oh look screen tearing

Not an issue if you use a proper compositor. For the past three years I've had no issues with screen tearing.

The reason you need notepad++ on windows is because the default text editor is utter garbage. You don't need to install another text editor on Linux because every distro ships with a text powerful editor instead of the 20 year old featureless and buggy garbage that is notepad.

>install Xubuntu alongside Windows
>woah this shit is fast
>10 minutes later something doesn't work
>google the problem
>woah this is a lot of work i'll just boot into Windows to play some vidya and fix it afterwards
>have to reformat 1.3 years later, still didn't boot back into Xubuntu to fix that issue

dad installed mandrake because he didn't wish to pay for a window license in yr2000

first time i installed it, I used opensuse 10.3, since dad used kde i wanted to use gnome, so then i went for mint5

nowdays I use debian for everything, except for playing an old gam, rarely

pic unrelated

Attached: 4f3.gif (200x200, 100K)

1. Disable the default compositor
2. Install Compton
3. Run Compton

Congratulations, you no longer have screen tearing

>hmm BSoD's are 9/10 times caused by faulty hardware or drivers
>could my hardware be faulty?
>...
>no
>it is Windows that is faulty

>think that something that respects your freedom isn't free so you move onto something which doesn't respect it at all
are you retarded or what?

>foobar
>notepad++
>mpc-hc
>potplayer
>irfanview

Why would you put shitty inferior software on your PC?
Sounds like baby duck syndrome to me, faggot.

i was a dumb skid and my family couldn't afford internet until i had almost finished high school so my first linux distro was obviously backtrack. i tried to crack my neighbors wifi password but couldn't because my laptop had proprietary firmware for its wifi adapter. that said i fucked around with cli a lot and that kind of prepared me for what i'm doing right now.

>foobar and mpc-hc
>inferior software
Inferior to what, running 3 different things in order to play back a fucking mp3 and a video player that lacks a GUI just so neckbeards can masturbate over typing in commands and manually setting flags in a config file?

back to nigger

>crypter going wild on 4chinz

Well?

Attached: 1554560057768.png (552x688, 358K)

>dualboot Ubuntu
>Wifi constantly gets throttled or dropped
>search "Ubuntu wifi problem"
>try about two dozen solutions (of course none of them work and I had no idea what the commands were doing in the first place)
>finally learn that the open-source driver for my adapter is known to be broken
>buy a new one which should work better
>Ubuntu freezes just by connecting the new adapter
>forget about Ubuntu and start using Windows exclusively again
>fast-forward a year
>give Linux another try but this time with Fedora
>drivers for the first adapter are still broken
>search "Fedora problem" (because even brainlets are capable of learning)
>find forum entry that links to a guy's blog, who fixed the driver and provided a complete guide on how to compile and install it
>compile my first software without a problem
>adapter starts working flawlessly
And that's how I realized that Ubuntu's community support is irrelevant, since most of them are just brainlets like me. Thanks for reading my blog.

>what is VLC
>what is mpv
>what is deadbeef which is basically foobar + the other gorillions of audio players

Attached: 500.jpg (500x500, 54K)

no need to waste words on a baby duck

I started using it in high school because I wanted to be l33t. I went right into Arch, I spent hours ricing it. Got me all through uni too. Now I use linux at work, I went for Ubuntu at work because I don't have time to waste fixing shit anymore

>>what is VLC
Hot featureless garbage with shit codecs. I hope you enjoy artifacts if you use it.
>>what is mpv
Lacking a proper GUI unless you install one separately.
>>what is deadbeef which is basically foobar + the other gorillions of audio players
Okay you got me, but that one was aimed at the mpd + ncmpcpp combo that ricers love to use.

My aunt bought me a box copy of RHEL for Christmas. I tried installing it on my laptop but fucked up installing GRUB for some reason. I was like eight at the time and didn't know what I was doing. My dad's IT head had to reinstall XP for me. In retrospect it was a good thing I didn't fall for the Red Hat meme.

Attached: 1547556542614.jpg (320x237, 22K)

Geany

>Lacking a proper GUI
A video player doesn't need a GUI.
>VLC is featureless
Lel, kys

>>what is VLC
A media player famous for its playback corruption. The common denominator of media players.
VLC is only a good choice, if
>you want physical media playback
>you want a better media player than WMP or your browser
>you want a media player for Android

yeah, i was a dumb little faggot what can i say? it was fun, though.

Attached: mpv-shot0001.jpg (640x480, 72K)

>video player doesn't need a GUI.
yeah sure neckbeard

> get into local hackerspace
> everyone uses linux on thinkpads
> "oh, thats cool"
> install debian
> everything fucks up while installing XFCE and Xorg

Yeah, this was cool

Attached: x61-3-800x1000.jpg (800x1000, 61K)

>wow, all this great free software
>that installation was pretty easy too
>wow so much to customize
>…
>ok so what's with the screen tearing
>*google searching*
>oh sweet just fix this file
>…
>ok why didn't that work
>*more searching and fix attempts*
>alright fuck this trash

See

>boot debian image onto work computer
>ger red-blue kernel
>don't know what to do
>try to reboot winblows
>still debian kernel

First experience was with Ubuntu Subsystem for Windows

Now arch+kde

Attached: 5D85680D-3605-49B7-80CA-76D33B353A50.jpg (1007x1200, 62K)

Around 2004, Gentoo
Experienced on a Athlon 64 the somewhat rough tradition from the 2.4 to the 2.6 kernel and the mystical 64-bit user land.since I was a early adopter.
It was fucking rough, shit broke every other emerge update, X11 was a fucking nightmare as well, also had to suffer from the XFree86 fiasco.
That said, KDE 2.x was fucking slick as shit, I loved that DE.
But at the end of the day I could not make Linux work as well as a Windows desktop, I just plain spent more time fighting the OS and broken configs then actually getting shit done. In the end I moved back to Windows around 2006 with Win2k till Win7 came out.
I still try out Linux as a desktop every now and then but in a VM, and still to this day I can't get things to work the way I want, but it's always for different reasons every time. One thing gets improved while another gets curb stomped, nothing ever seems to stay consistent (especially in Gnome land).

>no middle click scroll
trash

>Ubuntu sounds like a good start
>What's this? Satanic Linux?
After that it was straight to coercing people into sacrifices and playing D&D

>2009
>sound doesn't work
>wifi doesn't work
>2019
>sound doesn't work
>wifi doesn't work
>2029
>sound doesn't work
>wifi doesn't work

systemd-networkd and pulseaudio work out of the box.

Shame you're kneejerking on the Poetering bad train instead of using quality software

I had a low end pc, I tried ubuntu 10.04 and it was one of the bests OS i ever used, never had an issue.
After that I've tried ubuntu 12.04 which was shit, then lubuntu, kubuntu, and other variants. None of which were as stable, there's always some random issue.
After getting a new pc i just use Windows 10 and lubuntu in VM.

>it's 2005
>get a hold of a magazine coverdisc
>burn the SuSE 9.2 live CD
>boot away to a riveting welcome message
>painfully long loading times including the kernel
>fell in love with the splash screen, background, cursor, window themes and other aesthetics
>happily indulge in games, first time experience of Enigma got me hooked
>enjoyed the feeling of just mooching around with the settings, interface and programs in general
>knew absolutely nothing about the command line
>had a lot of fun ;)

Then eventually I'd move on to finally installing 10.0. The pinnacle of SUSE before Xgl came along and ruined everything

so libre and open source software came from african libraries? no wonder they are all so shitty

>foobar
audacious is close enough.
>notepad++
notepad++ is a just a text editor with some IDE features. there are plenty of text editors and IDEs for linux.
>mpc-hc
vlc is more or less the same thing.
>irfanview
nomacs is literally the best image viewer I've ever used, and I miss it on windows.
>find out it's not as free as in freedom as they said because I can't remove Analog Clock package or it will remove whole KDE
dude, if you're into autistic shit like that, go with arch or gentoo.

>be me, 16, slightly into computers
>bored out of my mind, nothing to do over the summer
>download Linux mint (KDE edition iirc)
>flash dat shit
>install
>whoa everything looks wack!
>fiddle with the OS n shit, everything felt rather intuitive
>after like 2 weeks of usage I got acclimated, felt really weird because for once I didn't have any tweaks that I wanted to be made
>been using Linux ever since

kinda wish I could go back to that horrible KDE rice I made back then just for the nostalgia

first OS I committed to (i.e. not briefly test out in a VM) was arch linux, I liked the learning experience but when I just wanted shit to work I transitioned to manjaro

got a new PC recently and I'm kinda split between going for arch linux again (I know a lot more now), gentoo (for extra masochism and even more control), void linux (looks interesting) or just go full debian (I just want shit to work) and learn more about linux by doing linux from scratch in a VM or something

>install i3
>use Compton as compositor

I always wondered why I never experienced the screen tearing meme