Is Gentoo anything but a waste of time?

Is Gentoo anything but a waste of time?

Attached: IMG_20180817_202702.jpg (2047x1534, 1.51M)

Other urls found in this thread:

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS_Minimal-x86_64-20190923.iso
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sure, why not?

Me again ... I think you meant: ``Is Gentoo nothing but a waste of time?''.

Who is she?

Nastassja Kinski, the movie is Cat People. Absolute kino.

shitposting, like what OP did when he created this thread, is a waste of time

installing gentoo is based and one of the best uses of time

>compiling every package yourself because "muh optimization"
>result is actually worse than bin-packages
>takes 392 hours to even get a window manager running
>situation where breaking libc changes break the whole(!) system including portage are the norm
Yeah I mean, technically there are people who pay to get whipped.
Just not normal people.

If it takes you more than two and a half to three hours to set up Gentoo and get a window manager working, you're quite the retard.

faggits like this are why macs exist

Oh sorry, last time I tried that piece of shit distro, I was on an Athlon XP2000something+. It took 14 hours end-to-end with Gnome back then. ccache, everything enabled.
I guess processor power and amount of cores made it more bearable, but if you SERIOUSLY defend waiting even ONE hour for a compiler locally duplicating a task that a compiler upstream of a central binary package repository should be tasked with, there will be no further communication between us, because if that's your opinion, I don't see you even as human.

Thanks user

Meh, I'm on Windows and Linux, I just do not masturbate to the sensation of pain. Unlike literally, intrinsically, everyone who uses Gentoo unironically.

you're just a low effort faggit
which is fine, but realize that your low effort point of view is feeble and weak.
expect that your low effort assertions will be pointed out and ridiculed

Yes, I agree, you can rarely justify compiling very large programs (except for some special use cases). So far, I haven't had to download any binaries because everything I've used so far has compiled in less than 20 minutes. Is it an issue for some people? Sure, but with my CPU and the things I do with my home machine, it's not that much of an issue for me.

Look, I actually have a life. I use the computer as a means to an end, not as a device to masturbate over my fine tuning/customization/optimization fetish. Most linux distros are superior to Gentoo because you can achieve the same results with binary packages and there is always the option to actually build stuff from source, if you so choose. It's just not very often that one needs it and it certainly is not necessary to do so every time, all the time.
Not being a complete brainlet autist with a warped view on priorities in life does not constitute being lazy.
Wash yourself, and get your fucking shit together.

>and the things I do with my home machine, it's not that much of an issue for me.
Do you ever browse web? Because compiling anything even remotely useful for browsing modern web takes more than 20 minutes.

Well no. You do not agree because the premise of my argument is that it is a waste of resources to compile ANYTHING locally that is better let to be compiled by a compiler upstream of a bin repo, unless there are paranoid trust issues in which case one should kill themselves because trust issues imply trusting trust issues (Ken Thompson).
20min compilations that can be reasonably avoided, should be avoided. Not doing so should be frowned upon.

>Look, I actually have a life
>said unrionically on 4chinz

Firefox compiled in less than 20 minutes.
sure. I don't understand why it's an issue considering I can just use a mirror from a different repository and download the binaries from there.

cat people.. good choice

Use the cloveros binhost on a gentoo installbase and git sync. No compiling phat packages like firefox or qtwebkit, everything else gets compiled with the exact flags you want and compiles pretty much instantly anyway.
Compiling means you don't get weird ABI or API compat issue that every other OS gets and it's piss easy to get a stable system even with unstable packages all over the place.
That's why gentoo is the anti-thesis of waste of time. Any other OS you'll be wasting endless amounts of time upgrading, fighting bugs from systemdick, dealing with forced update and telemetry on wangblows, or being pwnd with apfail garbage.

Gentoo can be anything you want it to be.
That means it can be a waste of time, the reason the biggest program you can run on your computer is mpv, your girlfriend...
Or if you're an average Jow Forums user, all three of them.

You can try CloverOS Minimal cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS_Minimal-x86_64-20190923.iso