Who even uses Solaris?

Who even uses Solaris?

Attached: A9F6D43D-F045-4019-8316-09A84D06A6E3.png (1024x768, 622K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openindiana.org/2016/09/28/loader-integration/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

banks

Xenu

Me.
$ uname -a
SunOS openindiana 5.11 illumos-c79df70e7f i86pc i386 i86pc illumos

Based

The same people who use MATLAB and LaTeX

Solaris users.

My server runs OpenIndiana.

Is Solaris useable as a desktop or just for servers

It's usable as a desktop if you compile your own software, so long as that software it's Linux-specific in the dependencies it has. Also don't expect a super up to date web browser. Those are always a bitch and half to compile yourself anyways. OpenIndiana ships with a version of Firecocks new enough to shitpost with.

Space agencies and semiconductor companies.
I've used Solaris 10 as a general desktop from time to time and it still works fine. OpenCSW maintains and updates most of the essential freetard stack and the desktop-focused software while aging was still plenty useful last time I ran it. I don't know if Firefox 31 was spared from Let's Encrypt AIDS, though.

Attached: jpl-dsn.jpg (1777x1000, 286K)

gang
admin@fangs:~$ uname -a
SunOS fangs 5.11 omnios-r151030-1b80ce3d31 i86pc i386 i86pc

tribblix is technically solaris, so me

My university, strangely, ran entirely on Solaris at one point. When I first started in September 2009, the libraries all had fleets of Blade 100 workstations with UltraSparc processors. They were painfully slow and everyone hated them, and they were mostly gone by summer 2010 when the university switched to Windows 7. That was the first and last time I saw Solaris in the wild. Kind of wish I picked up one of the Ultras, they were tossing huge piles of the.

why should I use it over any linux distro?

Hell yeah.
I find the 100s fun to mess with but I would never want one as a primary desktop, even as a new product they were pretty limp. The UltraSPARC II was absolutely ancient.
At one point there was ZFS, nice service administration tools, zones, the nicest CDE configuration around and nerd cred. Now it's pretty much just the latter two, if you even give a shit about either.

Huh, I didn't realize gnu uname added an extra illumos at the end on my system like that. Interesting.
How's omnios doing after OmniTI dropped support? I like openindiana's large repos but more and more I find myself going to pkgsrc for open source software.

ZFS and beadm are great, if an update broke your system you can just reboot to an older version.
Stuff is integrated well and feels first party. SMF is awesome (less of an advantage now that linux has systemd).

I forgot to jerk off.

Attached: t1k.png (534x193, 5K)

>if an update broke your system you can just reboot to an older version
sounds too good to be true
any problems with cross compatibility with linux software or vms?

>sounds too good to be true
It's not. I recently booted my original boot environment from 2014 for fun. The only caveat is that bootloaders have since changed so there's an extra command needed to boot ones from before the change. But other than that, your old boot environments are just ZFS snapshots of the exact state your system was in.
openindiana.org/2016/09/28/loader-integration/

>any problems with cross compatibility with linux software or vms?
There is no linux binary compatibility in illumos core. Joyent had some project for that but it's largely defunct.
Most software compiles alright or with minor patching. Joyent supports a pkgsrc distribution which seems to include just about anything I could want.
VMs are a thing. I don't use them, but supposedly support is pretty great (VMs are the entire basis of SmartOS).

Attached: file.png (1000x750, 1.29M)

No one ever since Oracle bought it

I've been using OpenIndiana for a while now. I don't even have to think about it.
Snapshots remove any and all risk or fear, not that it ever gets fucked up anyway. It actually just works.

I felt my dick move

Attached: irregular hardness.png (368x319, 126K)

>discovering nwamadm
This is the most convenient CLI network configuration tool I've ever used. I love how friendly all the SUN tools are. It's like they're made for human beings, and the fact that so many tools are interactive without arguments but still scriptable with them, is fantastic design for a system that's intended to actually be used.

I have a Sparc T4-1 and I don't know what I should do with it. What's a good OS for it?

Most Illumos distros only support x86, and if they support Sparc, it's only the older models. The only OS I've found that runs on here is OpenBSD, and while it's practical it's also boring.

Attached: sparc_t4-1.jpg (768x1024, 69K)

I mean these machines and operating systems are specifically designed to be predictable and dependable which directly translates to "boring" so you're kind of stuck with that. You should be thinking about what services to run on it instead, or see if you can port something to it for fun. Try porting 9front for massive damage.

DEKA FUMO CIRNO!

Have you tried Tribblix? It supports sparc but sparc support is definitely experimental... you have post-Oracle HW so if you want it to work you may need to put in some work.

>What's a good OS for it?
...Solaris? You know, the still currently supported operating system that hardware was built to run? That's freely available from Oracle's website and fully functional? Pretty sure you can even get a free non-commercial Oracle DB license for it now, too.

And of course still has the right mindset.

I didn't even try Solaris, I thought it cost money. I'll give it a go.

Attached: cirno earth.jpg (381x960, 97K)

Have you tried an illumos distro that does support SPARC yet? If you haven't, I wouldn't just assume it doesn't work because your hardware is too new. The architecture has maintained binary compatibility, so most stuff may just work.

Damn, sorry if I sounded like a dick. But yeah, check it out.
There's a Solaris 11 11/11 image here as well if all else fails:
ftp://ftp.deu.edu.tr/pub/Solaris/iso/
Can't imagine they'd be as well-supported, though. Not saying I can't still be wrong. Last time I was playing with Illumos there was pretty much no SPARC support to speak of, maybe things have gotten better.

>Can't imagine they'd be as well-supported, though
Probably not, but like Windows I doubt Oracle will give you any real support if you're not an enterprise customer. Tribblix is a thing and is a dream distro for an SPARC or old software enthusiast.
As a non-paying customer, having a SPARC enthusiast like Peter Tribble making your distro is probably way cooler than whatever support you'd get from Oracle.

Guess I'm considering it from a perspective of the quality of the base system, documentation and other things that aren't paywalled, plus compatibility with commercial applications and in-house tools like the Studio compilers. Illumos of course derives from an older code base and not a lot of its developers seem to really have much experience with SPARC systems, especially not the newer ones. This probably doesn't matter for a home user, really, but with hardware like that I personally pretty much always run whatever SysV was built for them out of habit, since it's a more novel experience and in the wild they're rarely used with anything else.
>As a non-paying customer, having a SPARC enthusiast like Peter Tribble making your distro is probably way cooler than whatever support you'd get from Oracle.
Sure. I'd heard of Tribblix in the past but never really looked into it, checking out the page now it looks like a nice project (even if I can't stand that name) but he doesn't seem like much of a SPARC enthusiast, the about page makes it sound like the SPARC version is pretty low-priority and not as fully featured as the x86 build.

But really, there's no reason not to try both.

you're mom

Attached: image0.jpg (2576x1932, 587K)

ftp://194.29.146.6/pub/Solaris/11.3/ for recent versions of Solaris.

Can you put this on any old computer?

Solaris is free from the website, dip.

Unless you don't want to have an OTN account in which case tough luck.

Last I heard, a lot of the Air traffic control towers were still running Solaris
just a rumor I heard though, I don't work in that field.
Recently was playing around with OpenIndiana as well
its really good, but keeping the OpenIndiana and pkgsrc repos working together nicely was too much fuck with factor for me

>make a fake account to download from the genuine source
>or download from some random public FTP
HMMM...

How much work does it take?

More like SLOWlaris, amirite?

I mean, sure stability and support in the classic sense is important.
But hardly any home users are going to be using something weird like a Sparc T4-1 as a daily driver. I suspect that user, like anyone else who goes out of their way to acquire SPARC hardware, will enjoy having an open source OS and being able to tinker more than he'll enjoy stability.

This. Majority of the merchant and pos applications are in Solaris

Distributions based on OpenSolaris like OpenIndiana will work on the average PC. Solaris 10 was the last proprietary version of Solaris that I used and it was a bit pickier about hardware but a wide range of PC hardware was supported nonetheless. I'm not sure if things have changed in that regard in version 11.

>Last I heard, a lot of the Air traffic control towers were still running Solaris
they run much more ancient stuff than that. like two or three years ago there was an incident in France where a bunch of flights got cancelled because a computer at the airport running Windows 3.1 died. you'll find similar things if you start kicking over rocks in anything that can be described with the word "infrastructure".

>but keeping the OpenIndiana and pkgsrc repos working together nicely was too much fuck with factor for me
How so? Can you elaborate?
Am thinking of giving this a go

Thanks.

Does openindiana run systemd and if so, is it as troublesome as it is for Linux?

Attached: 1568597082603.png (500x500, 7K)

It has had an init system for way longer than Linux, it's called SMF. Works great for me. XML so not as simple to write as a systemd spec file, but there are tools to generate them and you can copy paste, so pretty easy.

>sounds too good to be true
except nixos, guixsd and fedora silverblue does this too and more

I want to play a space level with Cirno is a space suit.

Attached: kaiju_cirno.png (2000x2000, 1.92M)

man that looks fucking cool as shit, is that nextstep ?

Nah that's CDE running on Solaris I suppose.
There's some pics of thinkpads up on the ISS running something with CDE too.

Attached: Common Desktop Environment.png (1024x768, 60K)

>is that nextstep ?

Attached: 85735274.png (500x533, 57K)

US Navy uses Red Hat and Solaris in a lot of their fire control (missile systems/radar systems) computers