Is gnome really that bad?

i've seen a lot of hate for gnome, and i can initially see why because it has an unusual, almost tablet like layout. but i've been trying it just for the hell of it, and deciding to not try and change the layout too much, and I've found that it's not that hard to adapt too. When you realize the super key can bring up the search menu instantly (in ubuntu, anyway), and this same key also brings up all the windows you have open, suddenly, it looks way more convenient. with just this single key i can basically access all my windows or quickly type to search any application. the bar on the left still feels kind of awkward and unusual though

Attached: [email protected] (1915x1030, 992K)

fuck off open sores shill back to

Gnome is blacklisted for their politics and anti-user anti-features

Nah, it's Jow Forums being contrarians as always

It's amazing.Best DE there is, next to XFCE.

Please use inclusive language to respect GNOME devs. "Blacklist" is much less racially insensitive.

GNOME removes harmful features that lusers don't need and only think they want.

It's not bad.

If you have 2 brain cells to rub together, you do most of your desktop actions with the keyboard anyways, and you can do that pretty easily and hassle free with GNOME as well.

I really question the utility of navigating it without keyboard, and I'm really uncertain with why they spend so much time developing those parts of it (who gives a fuck about app folders, why would anyone open their list of programs, navigate to the page the program that they want is on, click on the app folder and click on the app when they can just press mod, type 2-3 letters of the program and press enter)

So yeah, it has some *WEIRD* decisions like that. Its still the most functional "out of the box" DE.

It's still a pretty dumb layout. I don't need to hit the Windows key to access all my windows and I don't have a giant bar at the top that just shows me a clock and a
If you add dash to panel and Arc To Menu, then Gnome immediately becomes very good and usable. Although I still don't know why you'd use it over something like KDE, or Budgie, which have similar functionality, and yet has better performance

Attached: 1569267165706.jpg (960x720, 51K)

If I wanted a tablet layout, I'd buy a fucking tablet.

Why install all of that bloat? Install Xorg and something like Fluxbox. Very light and fast.

using the windows key to immediately see all your windows seems faster than a traditional layout

Anything GNOME touches has absolutely horrendous UI.

Based retard who doesn't know what she's talking about.

Especially KDE.

Attached: thus.png (1109x205, 22K)

Also, I know this sounds crazy, but I wear gnome feels a bit smoother than other environments I've tried like KDE or even XFCE. Maybe Gnome is better are using my dual GPU or something, but it seems a bit smoother and faster, which I did not expect at all

KDE is shit. Constant freezing and graphical issues. It only gets worse with each update.

one doesn't preclude the other, on windows 10 i can hit win+tab to immediately see all my windows but I still have a taskbar.

I've genuinely never had issues with KDE. The only issue I've ever had with KDE was that opening more than one instance of Spectacle would cause Kwin to crash, but I think that was my fault. Apart from that, it's been smoother than every other DE for me. Shame it's so fucking ugly and Kvantum themes are so few.

Yes it's that bad, actually it's worse than most people admit.

Attached: 1508539520091.png (1629x661, 945K)

>implying the current time is nonessential information
>implying a normal taskbar wouldn't show a tab for FF as well
>implying the dock being always visible is default
>implying it's not petty to argue over a label

It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to install an (((extension))) to move or hide the clock.

that's ubuntu retard

Shut up

What do you have against the clock?

I think its dumb when people use that big "applications" screen as a reason for why gnome sucks, because all those apps only appear when you press the button in the bottom right. when you just press the window key to search that doesnt happen, and it feels smooth

I don't want it centered smack-dab in the center of the bar. It's not important information. It could be better used for other information. When I start coding I only check the clock every three hours or so, I don't want to be constantly reminded of the time.

GNOME has the best compositor, but it's still shit and it can still stutter.

gJavaScript™

>using a DE

compositor doesnt affect performance though, does it? i thought that just affected how the screen looked

it's worse

several GNOME 3 designers have openly acknowledged imitating iOS

which gnome version are you on?