Who /rocksolid/ here?

Criteria:

- Use the same primary distro for one year or more - the longer, the better
- Hardly any crashes, ideally none
- Be able to do everything you want on said distro
- Distro still actively maintained
- Have a solid DE/WM which just werks™
- Not looking to move

If this is you, post here and talk about your distro and experiences.

Attached: Logan_Rock_Treen_closeup.jpg (2816x2112, 1.05M)

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/89826/what-is-tumblerd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Windows 8.1. updates disabled since 2015.

You haven't updated for four years?

I qualify on all points.
Windows 7, almost 10 years. Carried the install across 3 builds.

Yes.

Windows installs easily outlive hardware if you don't update them. It's the updates that break shit. Quite sure it's the same for linux distros.

What will you do when W7 reaches EOL?

I think you're right.

this is the tech equivalent of driving with the check engine light on forever
>but my car hasn't broken down on the side of the highway yet, user

Win7 SP1 for 9 years. If I need anything else I just VM it in that.

>distro
debian stable. xfce.

>experiences
it just works. not much to talk about.

Windows 2000, six years.

I don't know why I find it weirdly reassuring that everyone is a pre Win-10 poster so far. No Linux posters?

W10 is as solid as diarrhea.

I do this for my main desktop and for my laptop.

then again the hardware underlying those is definitely getting long in the tooth, so I'm not sure how rock stable that'll be.

linux stability is a meme
I run my windows 2000 machine directly connected to the WAN, don't even use a firewall or a router.

current uptime is 34 months 16 days 2 hours.

I'll be the first non-Window poster to cite a Linux distro then, specifically Slackware. Absolutely solid as fuck.

Literally me on gentoo. I've had it break on me once in the last year, and it was something I did, not the system. Use it on personal and work computers. Also use a minimally stylized i3.

For me it's been Ubuntu for the most part, not going to lie. The only things is that is that is does crash from time to time but no more than a windows install really also its been Nvidia drivers most of the time.

>Use the same primary distro for one year or more - the longer, the better
artix for at least 2 years now (arch nosystemd->manjaro nosystemd prior to that)
>- Hardly any crashes, ideally none
just transferred my drive to a new mobo/cpu/case a few weeks back, no issues whatsoever, never had any major crashes other than running out of ram on my old system a few times or cooking the cpu, not distro related
>- Be able to do everything you want on said distro
yep, watch 4k (now 8k) videos without issues while browsing/shitposting
>- Distro still actively maintained
yep, though low key
>- Have a solid DE/WM which just werks™
yep plasma/kde
>- Not looking to move
i doubt i'll change unless it stops being maintained which doesnt seem to be the case

Attached: artix neofetch.jpg (1275x597, 125K)

Kill yourself
Linux stability is well know especially if you use something like Debian, Ubuntu LTS, cent OS, OpenSuse Leap, etc. Window users feel the need to show off since their shit bogs down hard after a week

manjaro kde. no issues except minor non distro specific shit, never crashed, just werkz.
only thing I can't do is scroll with touchscreen and use lenovo pen with it, although frankly never bothered looking for a solution but I don't think there's one either. it's part of the reason I still dual boot windows, nice to have but rarely ever use it.

All these people unironically using outdated Windows thinking it's rock solid.... Pretty funny. Enjoy that zero (or in your case: many) day exploit that turns your computer into some script kiddy's toy.

nothing special, ran fedora 25 through 28 seamlessly through dnf system upgrade.
finally broke the install after adding a copr repo for TDE

Boombazle

I've been using Xubuntu on all my machines (desktop, laptop, family laptop) since 16.04

However I've become bored of XFCE, I've come to realize I don't like many of the bundled applications and would like to try WindowMaker or IceWM

Also tumblerd (thumbnail generating daemon, can be disabled though) consumes >100mb and generally don't like the direction Ubuntu is going as they are disregarding desktop and slowly pushing us into snaps

I do like Ubuntu's PPAs and the fact that is generally targeted as a primary platform by many software makers

I think at some point I will try Debian Unstable or Arch

>sources

askubuntu.com/questions/89826/what-is-tumblerd

Attached: illjustwarnvounowldontknowhowto35176462.png (500x397, 89K)

Devuan ASCII with Xfeces

>>- Use the same primary distro for one year or more - the longer, the better
>- Hardly any crashes, ideally none
I've been using Windows 10 every day for 3 years and I've had 1 crash.

Void GNU/Linux for 2 years now, very comfy and i've only had it crash once when some brainlet pushed a patch that happened to delete the innit system... it was a 1hr window or something.but i was unfortunate enough to update then. Was an easy fix but yeah that was tge onky crash.
Making and maintaining packages is very easy though i've only done it like 3 times.
WM is i3. It works, its efficient and anything else is autism.

Unironically Gentoo for the past year and a half. It all just werks and I don't have issues.

I've been using BunsenLabs for like four years now. I've reinstalled a few times just to start fresh or if I fucked something up severely and didn't want to fix shit, but other than that it's been smooth sailing the whole time.

Openbox is comfy as fuck too. Everything I want to do works. Debian leaves a bit to be desired in terms of updated packages and shit, but nothing too bad.

>its efficient
No, it's fucking not

Elaborate

I am using Manjaro with BSPWM. I have never had a problem with the system and I've been running it for close to 18 months on my main PC now. BSPWM takes a bit to configure how you want it to look (an afternoon or so) but once you have it down it is perfect. I have never had a problem with it or any of my add-ons like polybar or Rofi

Bonus - The system is rolling release so you don't have to wipe your system every year for the latest version. You can just sit in it and be comfy

manjaro kde. justwerks. call it a meme all you want. aur is huge and I have it plus more stability than arch. nothing breaks. still every update has its own thread to ensure maximum stability.

I've ran Ubuntu, mint, Debian, fedora, and arch. all eventually broke during an update. Manjaro has yet to fail me in 3 years.

Mint/Xfce for about 5 years. I'm liking Manjaro and MXLinux too and may switch to MX for main OS. Trying BSD's like GhostBSD, which is nice but needs more work. I also use XP, W7, W8.1, W10 on occasion too. All the windows are useful and stable after being beaten into submission. Linux doesn't need being beaten just tuned and tweaked a little. OS agnostic, best tool for the job and all that.

Fedora (now 30) with Gnome/CentOS on server. Never had any significant problem, Gnome just werks and I couldnt care less about my DE.

I use Fedora for about 3 years now. A bit unstable in the beginning, when I was using Cinnamon (no crashes, but simple tasks like e.g. emptying trash could potentially freeze the entire system), but since I switched back to GNOME everything works fine. Only managed to brick my system once, when I had a power outage during a kernel update. Fortunately I had a separate home partition, so everything was back to normal once I reinstalled my system.

Been on this setup for nearly two years now. The pros of this is that over the time i've styled litterally every component of the OS, including my most frequented websites.

Attached: rock_solid.png (3840x1080, 1.37M)

Using arch for 1 year+ and it's really great and now is the turn to put arch on my desktop too
Overall I'm happy