How much Japanese has anime taught you?

How much Japanese has anime taught you?

Attached: 1547312970549.jpg (800x1130, 298K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/J_EQDtpYSNM
muse.jhu.edu/article/449938/pdf
ohll.ish-lyon.cnrs.fr/fulltext/pellegrino/Pellegrino_to appear_Language.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

desu

Attached: aqua_smart2.png (1781x1074, 1.82M)

almost 1% of what I know now.
If you actually study grammar and vocab, anime does help a little

That image might be bait but point 1 is mostly true. Watch enough and you'll associate entire lines with a specific translation that you've seen multiple times before. Much like a parrot.

Not much. It's far easier to look things up when reading.

Is the kanji thing true? Should I really just skip it?

Attached: eriri_wrong_idiot.jpg (1920x1080, 988K)

This is the second thread today to insult my lack of japanese learning skill. Shits hard even if you make sure to not follow the advice OP gives in the image.

It was funny to find out that 迷子 means "Lost child" instead of just "lost" that was pretty obvious from the kanji but you can't know it from just watching the anime.

I think I'm at N3 at least but I don't know enough kanji to pass a written exam, I've started to learn them but it's a hassle

You can actually do the opposite and learn the kanji first. Makes reading example sentences when you do start learning vocab much easier

It hasn't. I've picked up a few words and such, but nothing more than that. I'm not looking to learn, though. I already speak 3 languages and I've never really liked the process of learning a language, so I most certainly don't want to spend time on learning a language which doesn't even use the same alphabet.

If you wanna learn Japanese, don't watch subs because you're paying all your attention on them, instead of what the characters are saying.

I watched this video 4 months ago and every since then I've dropped subs, and I understand Japanese a lot better now that when it comes to SoL anime I don't need to look up words anymore, but when I do it adds to my Japanese vocabulary.

youtu.be/J_EQDtpYSNM
(play the video on 1.25 speed or 1.5 because this guy talks slowly)

The first day of ditching subs, the first couple of words I learned through comprehensible input were
>namimono
when a character was visibly thirsy
>gyunyuu
when a character poured a glass of milk
>netsu
when a character had fever
>tsumetai
when characters were talking about wanting something cold to eat.
I would've never picked these up if I was watching subbed.

>inb4 advertising
nigger, the video has 700k views and I just thought it was interesting since it worked on me

i reached n1 then quit because english is better.
japanese will be dead in a decade anyway

Attached: Table.jpg (562x438, 61K)

>that feeling when you correctly guess the meaning of a 熟語 based on the meaning of its component kanji

Attached: 1460131392847.gif (305x360, 233K)

>tfw can understand half of whatever is said in untranslated material, due to reading so much untranslated vn for fapping with text hookers and TA
>but can't read anything written.
Time to be illiterate in 2019 boys

Not until we find a way to have a replacement for words like "senpai" and "onii-chan"
Also anime is getting to mainstream to fail

I've watched this video before and it's also made me download raws of episodes that I've already watched just to pick up on words and I was shocked to sort of understand what was happening. It rekindled my effort to actually learn kanji again after dropping it

The best way to learn Japanese is to hire a Japanese family to raise you as if your were their newborn child. You’ll be fluent within two years.

this is probably the best method and is also a great premise for an anime

I haven't dropped subs while trying to learn Japanese from anime, but putting in constant effort to understand the grammar of the sentence helped me realize just how contextual Japanese actually is.
Like how many different translations there is for 違う

It could be good. Imagine someone like >>>jp/20610144 (I hope I did that one right) going to Japan and learning to appreciate Japan as it really is, the good and the bad.

Attached: azusa_thinking.jpg (2445x3566, 694K)

I guess not

Attached: idiot_sandwich.png (1000x1086, 1.02M)

what show should i watch raw
something ive seen before?

Enough to be appointed for a partnership between japanese unis and unis from my country without asking for it

Tanoshii Moomin Ikka.
It has around 100 episodes, the characters talk very calmly/clearly and majority of the episodes never got subbed.

sorry, I thought about myself. a fat, 30 something year old loser NEETgoing to Japan to be treated like a child. i'd have my japanese haha and my japanese jiji, maybe an oneesan and an oniichan.

they will treat my like a toddler, haha will try to carry me around and breastfeed my and change my diapers, while jiji is praising me for my first words. my siblings also help me make my first steps and so on and so forth.

hope this doesnt sound wierd.

CSB

I took a quarter of nip in college. Ended up taking the oral final with a buddy of mine due to time constraints. Turns out my verbal was significantly better than his and he bitched too the professor that I watched too much anime. She looked at him and said "seems too be helping."

Now, the benefit of anime is you get used to the pronunciation and the benefit of subs is no one translates the same. So you end up learning the concept of certain words instead of a direct translation, which makes it easier to use them.

But If you're just trying too learn a language from TV, you're going to pick up a few phrases and nouns, but you won't even be on par with tourist grade. See, Jap is a pain in the ass cause there isn't much of a structure to conjugation. You literally have to look up in a book to find out the different tenses. This in addition to the base language being past/future perfect whereas in western tongue we learn present tense first.

So tl;dr you need to take a class and read some books if you want to learn shit.

The video makes a few good points, but there is nothing wrong with subs. I've been watching anime with subs for ages, and when I started learning properly, I realized I had actually picked up a ton of words from listening. I'm over 2000 words deep now and I'm still finding ones that make me go "hey' I've heard that one".

Watching anime without subs when you know little to no japanese doesn't seem very productive, either. You might end up picking out a few words out of the incomprehensible mess, but the rest will just go over your head, and then you'll get bored after two episodes because you'll have no idea what's going on. I think that in order to learn you need to understand at least 80% of what you're watching/reading, so rather than skim through ten books without understanding a thing, it is genuinely better to check your shit in a dictionary, even if you go at one page per day. Also, Kanji completely invalidates the input > learning argument, because you can't just read kanji without knowing kanji.

>his language uses the Latin script

Attached: World_alphabets_&_writing_systems.svg.png (2714x1256, 646K)

got first ep of that and a SoL
ill give it a shot

Almost nothing. It's exactly like the pic in OP parodies with point 1.

However I'm currently learning for real and I really believe you can skip kanji, if you only learn for anime.

I did RTK is less than 3 months and now kanji are the easy part of Japanese. Hiragana words are way harder to remember because there’s nothing to attach your memory to.

dosdedt

>I really believe you can skip kanji, if you only learn for anime.
They still turn up a lot in anime and isn't that much more effort to learn while you're at it. Also helps with learning homophones for me.
You never know if you might get interested in reading some manga at some point as well. Considering it takes years to learn you could change by then.

Attached: [FreakCrSuBuS] Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku - 05 [1080].mkv_snapshot_12.16_[2019.01.09_21.43.05].jpg (1920x1080, 834K)

Do you need kanji to read doujins?

None. Once I actually started studying Japanese, however, a lot of it came to me very quickly because I recognized the words and phrases from anime.

what is the best way to learn kanji?
Anki didn't work for me, I got like 1000 words in and now they mix in my head and I can't learn any new ones

So far I wasn't interested in any written content, so I decided to skip it. It's extremely hard to learn kanji, if you are not motivated to read anything. But it's a bit of a struggle, because most if not all learning resources are based on kanji. I guess I will learn those that are thrown at me that way.

some people recommend WaniKani, but I guess the only real way is start reading and mining sentences. Especially on the level you are already at.

what do I read senpai?
doujins?

Maybe just focus a few days on trying to learn the most common radicals. Some turn up in a lot and can help with remembering and can carry some of the meaning.
For example with 他 and 池 it's easy to recognise pond because it has the water radical on it.
For me Anki is about the only way I actually remember anything as at least anything I'm shit at remembering turns up a lot.

Attached: [Farfie] Joshiraku - 01 (BD Hi10-720p AAC).mkv_snapshot_17.35.jpg (1280x720, 390K)

Sorry no idea, I have the same problem. I'm a complete anime only fag. I absolutely hate VNs, LNs and Manga. I just ordered some Yotusbato! (Jow Forums 404 girl) but only because it has almost no kanji. I guess you could look for your favorite anime that had a horrible ending, because it was a commercial for written content and start reading that. For example: Spice & Wolf.

Going to try that, thanks

>I absolutely hate VNs, LNs and Manga.
then why you want to learn how to read japanese

That's how all the isekai protags become 3 year old prodigies at least.
>"mama. show. magic?"
>"okay my sweetie"
>Beginning analysis

>Yotusbato! (Jow Forums 404 girl) but only because it has almost no kanji
It still has the kanji for every character except Yotsuba. Obviously the furigana helps but that is in a lot of manga. Still a good choice as it is fairly easy to read, or at least I'm managing to slowly work through it.
Mitsuboshi Colors is also quite good for staying fairly simple and is great.

Attached: よつばと!_1_011.jpg (963x1400, 346K)

I've always wondered, can native Japanese speakers tell when a foreigner watches too much anime just from how they speak? Like is there a weeb dialect?

Attached: 1265866916158.jpg (726x1266, 402K)

>the first word they teach you is "oyakodon"

Attached: 1534749163170.jpg (350x490, 38K)

Enough.

Attached: djt.png (1024x640, 1.34M)

>barely know any kanji
>try to read Ika/Keroro raws
>the scan quality is so shit I can't even decipher the furigana

Attached: i simply live with the pain.png (494x280, 131K)

In some of those cases the kanji can also be quite unclear. I assume enough practice lets you context your way to reading it in the same way we can read nearly illegible English.

Attached: 5.jpg (870x1236, 330K)

>OP is literally how Japanese From Zero works

kek

Attached: 1546773098618.jpg (897x869, 40K)

Imagine a fat ugly balding japanese man speaking english like a 12 year old girl, thats how you sound to them.

>Like is there a weeb dialect?
Not really, but anime characters don't talk like real Japanese people. I'm not sure how to describe it exactly, but anime dialogue tends to flow more smoothly and is more exaggerated/emotional than an actual Japanese conversation.

Eh... I learned reading katakana and hiragana before traveling to Japan. Even learn to write them !

In the end, it wasn't usefull at all. Lots of stuff in the cities is written in kanjis or english. However, the vocabulary you learn from anime and dramas was more usefull when talking to people. Just like imitating the tone.

I actually was able to get by quite well in Japan with what I've learned. Getting around, asking directions and having simple conversations at bars was no problem. Only thing I have deliberately studied outside of anime is grammar, other than that I have just been interested and paid attention to what they have been saying.

Attached: 1507234211403.jpg (428x455, 31K)

diejobu desu ka?

Hai, diejobu DEATH

Attached: spooky.png (1280x720, 983K)

No, I'm still alive.

Very little, a few words here and there, but I was taught most by my university classes and the website I used to learn kanji (wanikani, which also teaches a lot of voacb)

Like theater basically.

Dohstedt?

Even it it does die (unlikely) it would continue to be culturally significant, like Latin

>it will be culturally significant because muh animes

>that chart

Literally my experience in Japan.

Warning sign written in Japanese: Ultra long sentence about how Customer-sama shouldnt smoke in the hallway, literally takes up two lines.

In English: Smoking forbidden in the Hallway.

In Chinese: four characters.

Japanese is pretty scummy.

Top tier:
Latin
Arabic

Mid tier:
Greek
Cyrillic

Shit tier:
Everything else

None of the other languages in that picture are culturally significant anymore except for English and maybe Chinese.

And manga

Source for that? German Native here and I somewhat doubt the lower information rate in Japanese since German has a lot of filler stuff like articles necessary for the sentance to actually make sense

How can the ratio be greater than 1?

Can you direct me to the paper you got this from?

Yeah, in another chart, German actually ranks low.
No matter what, all agree that Japanese ranks lowest due to filler and keigo/polite speech.

Attached: information density.jpg (805x648, 94K)

VIETNAM STRONG

Seems to be behind a paywall.
muse.jhu.edu/article/449938/pdf

and gaymen

Furthermore, the research in the other chart also admitted that those with low information density speak a lot faster to make up for the low info of each syllable. Hence why German, which is actually quite fast (t.Germ), ranks so high in that one.

Attached: 04720FF4-B566-40DF-B183-E05DE9C9E6C9.gif (200x200, 505K)

Ever been to Japan? While it's true that life gets better when you learn meanings of kanji than its specific readings because when you simply can't remember how to read something you at least have an idea of what it means, there's tons of times where the meanings are pretty fucking general and although you have an idea of what it could be you're still guessing as opposed to knowing for sure what you're being told.

Thanks!
Also, if you count the Japanese particles as word of their own, it might explain the Japanese ranking

Kek, looks like one of the reasons why normal japanese people do not even bother to conjugate their verbs anymore during daily conversation and only use their -ru form for nearly everything.

This shit bothered me the fuck out when I was there. Learning so much shitty grammar only to discard it during daily routine and adopt the "tomodachi-form".

>but anime dialogue tends to flow more smoothly
I have no doubts of this, even the 'staff interviews' for some anime is full of nothing but people stuttering constantly.

>no 的, アレ
Those two alone and all the weird thinking about how to phrase shit not being there makes things noticeably smoother.

That’s true for all forms of media in any language though user

>Top tier: Latin
>Noice tier: Runes and Runiform
>Shit tier: everything else

pripara is what I used

I can't speak for other languages, but the difference between real life English and movie/TV English is pretty much nil.

クソ外人wwwwwwwwwwww

autistic statement

Attached: 1422476513740.jpg (774x686, 284K)

ohll.ish-lyon.cnrs.fr/fulltext/pellegrino/Pellegrino_to appear_Language.pdf

And now you're deleting anyone that calls you out because you know you fucked up.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

>(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
cringe mod

what was this guy banned for?

Are you fucking serious mods?

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hurting the mod's fee fees.

lmao knowing this came from /a/, now it makes complete sense.

Funniest part is, he probably got banned for Global Rule 8, when Global Rule 8 isn't even enforced on Jow Forums

The mod must have ran out of hot pockets today.

You're pathetic. Keep on that damage control.

LMAO he's still going at it. thanks for the laughs