Stop!

If you need a laptop that'll keep you on the top lap, get a ThinkPad! You might think certain other brands appear appealing on the outside, but like a worm-ridden fruit that's been left on the ground to spoil, their performance speaks for themselves!

>But Lenovo makes cheap-quality computers that break too easy!
The ThinkPad, conceived by IBM in the early 90s as the go-to business laptop for the business man on the go, has always taken unit durability as a top-tier priority. With a magnesium roll-cage and sturdy, high-grade plastic paneling, this computer is ready for all that life has to throw it at*!

>But it's made in China!
ThinkPad production was moved to Japan no later than 2012. Current units are manufactured to top-standard in Yonezawa, Yamagata.

In fact, it is encouraged that you buy your ThinkPad's used, not only for reduced costs, but to get the higher-quality IBM models, which can be upgraded to be competitive to even the most modern of competing laptops currently on the market. What are you waiting for, traveler? Think! Think ThinkPad®.

*In the off-chance you are considering bying a ThinkPad new, please read the warranty of your respective system. Don't dip your system in salt water.

Attached: Don't Be Like This.png (385x300, 160K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oJxTHMygpDY
youtube.com/watch?v=ZRVEtOL6Kho
boingboing.net/2019/03/17/demand-signals-r-us.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thank you for this important information, but what if I already own a laptop?

Attached: Cirno_Basketball.jpg (250x250, 7K)

does minecraft work on thinkpad

Which ThinkPad series and model is Jow Forums recommending for current year and 2020?

Attached: 4f46b3ed49b92dd1cef300e0fa05d17a.jpg (564x705, 83K)

T440s seems to be the go-to all-rounder if you can't think of any better systems, but be advised that the trackpad is only average quality. I personally use my laptops with mice anyway.

Minecraft works on an ancient Win 98 ThinkPad if you know what you're doing.
Yes.

I'm actually interest, but new to them. I know I could ask in Jow Forums, but the Cirno cult is here.

What would be more preferable to find as OS, one with a pre-installed Windows 10 version or one with a Linux distro and using a program like Wine if needed.
How good are they even as ""gaming"" laptop and working with 3D heavy programs like Blender and Unity? Is a model with 8 GB RAM installed a good choice or should one buy one with less RAM and throw two 8 GB sticks in I could get from somewhere else.
Also are ThinkPads really so easily to upgrade and to optimize that they do run almost like standard desktop computer with similar parts besides having to replace all other broken things if it was somewhat used before as you say that even the decade old ones are capable to run Minecraft?

Attached: a523c90df954c60bb327dfac20b65022.jpg (564x539, 39K)

As always, it depends on what your goals are. Gaming laptops are beefy and double as dependable portable workstations: any high-end laptop with over 8 gigs should be enough to run Blender and Unity at least as well as whatever your average videogame studio uses (you can thank consoles for that), but disappointingly not nearly so as the latest gaming desktops: if you're serious about muh games, go with a desktop unless you have to move around constantly as part of a job or other obligation.

Check to see if a particular model of laptop you're eying has easily accessible insides. My laptop was a lower-end version that didn't, so upgrading the RAM was a warranty-voiding pain in the rear: but else upgrading RAM is not too different from upgrading the RAM of a conventional desktop. 8G is decent, more is better, especially for anything running large amounts of sub-processes.

I've heard reports of IBM thinkpads being upgraded to work on-par with what is currently offered on the market, but have not eyed them too closely. Jow Forums would know more about the ratio of oldness to hardware comparability.

Windows 10 is garbage on laptops and will eat RAM just with its ambient subprocesses, if you want the Windows experience (games), use patched 7 or 8.1: most laptops aren't to keen when it comes to VB. I heard that Microsoft recently started working on its own Unix distro: with luck, it'll eventually mean something Windows-compatible and modern that doesn't run like crap.

Otherwise, Wine, Gentoo, Unbuntu and the like are a great fit for laptops, using few resources with little impared functionality. Ideal for workstations, less so for gaming due to Windows compatibility issues.

A tip for Windows usage if you go that route: explorer.exe can be stopped at will and restarted from the control panel, freeing up memory. Just remember how to navigate via hotkeys (Hint: alt+tab.)

i try to recommend the HP streams netbooks to people. only about 200 dollars and comes installed with windows. cheap cheap.

Control panel? I mean task manager. Anyway, happy laptop hunting. Shame that all the big innovators have moved on to catering to phones, but it also means that laptops are good for the long-haul and less often made to be a piece of junk that's meant to be discarded in a year!

Unless it is, like the lower-end Acers and Lenovos who just seem to die after a certain date.

I'm looking for the specific patch I was talking about, the one that adds some useful functions like file shredding as well as scrambles the worse of Microsoft's alleged spyware in the telemetry, but it eludes me. Jow Forums would likewise know what I'm talking about.

Wouldn't older thinkpads eventually run into compatibility issues with modern hardware simply due to how their motherboard is made?

Attached: 1550562563425.jpg (2048x1152, 1.09M)

Flash it with Bodhi linux or something. That shit will run on a toaster.

Depends on the model of course, but even the oldest ones are capable of browsing the web in rough conditions. Just don't go loading a hundred tabs.
Got to love that nice aesthetic.

I have W520 with IMB mouse

its a great laptop
it has
24gb RAM DDR3
Intel ssd 250gb
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz

also
NVIDIA Quadro K2000M

bleed faggot

I still don't trust shit made by Lenovo regardless of where it's made. They're a sketchy company and I've heard horror stories from my friends about awful customer service policies. IBM is a good company and I would have considered getting one had ThinkPad not been bought out by Lenovo but for now I'm more than content with my HP. They make very reliable computers in my experience.

Attached: 1556314805282.jpg (731x812, 82K)

X230

Attached: 1560961808153.jpg (2512x2020, 1.13M)

Yeah, but you get what you pay for. Very low performance, can’t do anything more advanced than writing simple Word documents.

Telemetry can be disabled in settings, and I’m sure there are some very good programs for file shredding.

However, telemetry isn’t as bad as what people say. All telemetry does is send anonymous data back to Microsoft about performance and crashes so they can improve Windows. Forms of telemetry have existed since Windows XP.

x220 for years. it was a great computer but be aware Lenovo's are full of Chinese spyware surveillance chips.

also "top lap" is not a saying

The main issues with the processes they enable is that they eat up memory in the background, sometimes to alarming degrees in Windows 10. There's no practical use to keep them running, especially on a laptop.

cute doll

I guess it works if you think "top lap" of a race?

bump

jp discord mafia thread,

why do you always shit up this board with your gaymania threads

why are you not upholding traditional romanian values by offing yourself right now

It’s Fagmark, he always likes shitting up the board. The poster actually used to be Romanian but he left and Fagmark took his place.

If they are manufactured in Japan then why was my replacement being manufactured in China? (a replacement which was needed because my Thinkpad broke down after a year, by the way.)

He used to be a sweet chap. Or at least, less annoying.

What's the strongest a MemePad can get?

ThinkPad P72 is the top of the line at the moment.
OP's info is probably outdated.

needs more sauce

>ThinkPad
Dude, you gotta get a dell
youtube.com/watch?v=oJxTHMygpDY

>thinkpad
>top-tier durability
>literal thing breaks faster than my old ass laptop that only this year started to have its HDD fail and its barely damaged if at all
get a dell faggOP.

Attached: asses.jpg (640x360, 34K)

Too much = no spaghet taste

i prefer gateway

Dude i got a Dell!

YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER YANKEE NIGGER

What about them?

Attached: 1546500400319.png (1086x910, 91K)

youtube.com/watch?v=ZRVEtOL6Kho

boingboing.net/2019/03/17/demand-signals-r-us.html
Huh, this explains the ThinkPads coming from China.

does the Lenovo's make an Chrome books?
or cheep cheep lappy top?

Attached: cnro.jpg (500x500, 22K)