It's dead, Jim

It's dead, Jim

www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/03/30/ibm-sees-quantum-computing-going-mainstream-within-five-years.html

Attached: Screenshot_20180330-085346.png (1080x1920, 571K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lbc.cryptoguru.org/stats
en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_version_1_Bitcoin_addresses
papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3152419
releases.ubuntu.com/artful/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ah no guess ima sell it all lol

If Quantum computers are a thing crypto is the least of your worries cuckboy. Have having all of your information everywhere and every bit of encrypted information about you being easily accessible.

all you need is a quantum resistant hash. fundamentally, blockchain itself is not made redundant by quantum

is it possible to update bitcoin to be quantum resistant

Comfy with my quantum resistant ADA.

sure

Mainstream for IBM is different from what we would call mainstream. It won't be mainstream mainstream for at least 10-15 years.

Unused bitcoin addresses are already quantum-resistant. The SHA-256 hash is not breakable, only exposed public addresses are reversible (by applying Shor's algorithm to the ECDSA public key).

So as long as you don't reuse addresses, your coins should be fine.

On the other hand, some older addresses have exposed public keys (most notably, Satoshi's addresses), so that's like a million BTC that can be attacked by quantum computers and then dumped on the market.

Don't buy the hype, we're still at least 10 years from any non-niche application

Lmao. Oh my.

Brainlet here.
Can someone please explain what this means?
Also, can crypto be upgraded to withstand this computing power?

it was a reasonable question, newfriend

is it possible to update bitcoin

niggas, if crypto is vulnerable, everything would be vulnerable. nobody would give a shit about crypto.

what do you mean by 'unused'? an address needs to be explicitly listed to receive bitcoin, so it's listed on the blockchain database

lbc.cryptoguru.org/stats
not likely

please be bait

people think btc is at risk which is cute. The entire worlds financial security is at risk.

IBM is a fucking broke company, fuck that shit, who gonna have 300k or 500k to buy a fucking quantum computer? are u kidding kid?, people can afford they fucking life and can't grow up, FUCK IBM, eat dog shit.

Attached: 1510779899860.jpg (1033x679, 168K)

not bait. show me how much of a brainlet I am.

I'm already mining with 5 Quantum computes AMA

An address is just a hash of the public key.
The actual public key is not exposed if you have not spent from the address, or signed a message using it.

You can see the exact steps on how to generate bitcoin addresses from an ECDSA public key when you scroll down this page:
en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_version_1_Bitcoin_addresses
It's basically just doing one-way (i.e. irreversible) hashes like SHA-256 and RIPEMD-160 repeatedly.

Once you spend from an address or sign a message using it, the public key of an address is revealed in the transaction (along with the signature).
So if you do not reuse addresses, your public keys are not revealed even if your bitcoin addresses are known (and thus, quantum-proof).

>unbiased artificial intelligence
The Jews are still salty about Tay aren’t they?

Attached: 83414B24-ED6A-48B5-ADCD-DE3A8A6AC1C7.jpg (528x729, 93K)

Are you a liar?

Not if your private keys are biometric verifications... ooops said too much about the project I'm working on

IBM has never delivered on time ever, lets not forget Watson

Not even a convincing larp.
Systems that use cryptography are trustless and assumes bad actors.
Biometrics requires trust in that the biometric input device is not tampered with, as it can easily be replaced with a device that has prerecorded other people's biometrics, and spoof that as your own input.
Basically biometrics has no replay protection.

She died for our sins.

Attached: 1520662666596m.jpg (599x1024, 65K)

it doesnt matter what part of your body you type your username with, moron. Biometrics are about as insecure as it gets, and are just as susceptible to a quantum attack as anything else

Craig S Wright’s paper on why quantum computing isn’t a threat to bitcoin

papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3152419

>people can afford they fucking life and can't grow up
What does this nigger babble mean?

>"unbiased" AI
>kill Tay AI because it didn't do what they wanted
Hmm

Attached: IMG_9234.jpg (3000x3000, 1.2M)

My thoughts exactly lmao

I hope so. I need to recover my lost wallet, which I haven't shared the address to a lot of places so it shouldn't be brute forced.

makes sense, thanks

but if the whole problem is that one can get the hashed value out of the hash, woudn't one be able to get the public key from the address, to then get the private key from the public key?

Buy quantum-resistant Bitcoin Candy

Attached: U5dt7QuFfz8cf11erA5WXzpWcsfE5hK_1680x8400.jpg (365x260, 15K)

lol female CEO

Attached: youknowyouwantit.jpg (440x450, 48K)

merkel ruined our country. the media will tell you otherwise but you see it when you go into the cities.

women are all nice talk and putting make up on shit. the only way they can “deliver results” is by burning huge amounts of money on irrelevant proxy issues to deflect from their failure to tackle the main issue.

at any costs, we need to establish the patriarchy again and reverse this equality BS that is eroding western civilization. if we dont do it, islam will do it cause they are breeding our degenerate society out anyway.

Cant one just update the algo if the current gets obsoleted?

is that pic real? i'd motorboat her

100% this

crypto is probably one of the last things i'd worry about if quantum computers weren't vaporware

btw when researchers tell you something is "5 years away" usually what they mean is "we haven't figured out shit, but hopefully we get a breakthrough in the next 1-2 years"

Yee, the solution is forking and getting new wallets. By the time it becomes a necessity to worry about quantum computers maybe we can figure out how to do that.

my dick is quantum resistant.

Forking bitcoin with quantum resistant algorithms is the easy part

Convincing everyone to use the new fork is the difficult part.

if quantum computers and the fears surrounding them become a reality the first to panic will be the banking industry
could you imagine if there was a commercially available computer capable of circumventing all forms of encryption? SSL? we would be forced to go back to paper notes because the entire infrastructure of the banking industry would be jeopardised
not to mention the military intelligence, the NSA, etc.
and y'all think your fucking shitcoins need protecting lmfao

expect news on quantums (that you cant buy yet) that can break EC in acceptable time around summer next year

> woudn't one be able to get the public key from the address

No. Hashes are one-way, uncrackable even by quantum computers.

ECDSA (the asymmetric algo used by bitcoin to generate the public-private keypairs) is susceptible to Shor's algorithm (which requires a quantum computer to implement).

SHA-256 and RIPEMD-160 are HASHES, these are irreversible. You can hash ANY data size.
For example, according to:
releases.ubuntu.com/artful/
The SHA-256 of "ubuntu-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.iso", a 1.4GB .iso file, is 1a3d2d32ada795e5df47293745a7479bcb3e4e29d8ee1eaa114350b691cf38d3

A hash cannot be reversed, because any size of data can be hashed (whether it be a single character, or multiple terabytes) and it will still end up as a 32-byte hash (if using SHA-256). It's not like encryption where you preserve the data, it's a one-way process that destroys data.

The way that it is confirmed that a public key can access an address, is by hashing the public key and checking if the hashes match. There is no other solution than brute-force (and quantum computers have no advantage in that field).

>Expecting us to understand that uninformed, inarticulate gibberish

Attached: 1502988455938.jpg (352x395, 13K)

The idea of shorting bitcoin cash quantum is exciting to me.

>So as long as you don't reuse addresses, your coins should be fine.
But they can see your address when you receive money dumbass. If they can go from pk to sk it doesn't matter if you made a transaction or not

>hardforks to new quantum resistant code
Kys

Oh never mind I see what you mean.

Sooo the only threat of quantum computing is using Shorr's algorithm to obtain secret keys from public keys? What other threats are there? What about other blockchains that are not Bitcoin? How will TLS work anymore given that you know the public key of the server? If I use GPG default symmetric encryption (which I believe is AES-128) will my documents be cracked with quantum computers?