Serious Chainlink Code Review

I'm a software engineer with over 25 years of work experience and worked for eBay in their early days, for Google in the 2000s and in 2013 sold a software bundle to a major E-Mail provider where I got a share of 75 million dollars.
From then on I lived life, fucked sluts and got autistic about cryptography and blockchain engineering. I'm basically your standard guy on an advisory board, I actually am on 2 boards and they pay me for.. I actually don't know why but they like the names of the companies I worked for.

So let's get to it...
github.com/smartcontractkit/chainlink

I actually like the activity and how the roles of the main contributors are distributed, everyone seems to know their place although I have no fucking clue what the fuck thodges-gh is doing. This guy programs like a student in his 3rd semester, so many fucking unnecessary lines and CLR's, his stuff couldn't run on a IDE compressor LET ALONE on something like the Ethereum network. The project should ditch him and get another guy for the escape-sequence stuff.
The other problem I have with LINK is how scattered the essential "core code" is. It's spread across many repositories and even covers 7 (if I counted correctly) recursive seeds. In comparison, something like Ethereum itself runs on 4 at most. So they really have to optimize a lot although I can say from experience, it's gonna be a pain to overwrite all that stuff to make it viable for any adoption.

All in all it's basically a pretty good project but way too overhyped, anyone with a decent understanding of cryptography, segfaults and nodelists could look at this and create a cleaner and more consistent platform that does chainlink's job. It would be probably easier to start from scratch and get rid of 30% of sequences which hinder the process of validating the data. Almost everything thodges-gh's fault.

I give it a C+, nothing special to be honest.
Actually, not much for 4 months of work.

Attached: C4IZRBIAUXXSLI2E.jpg (130x130, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

computerhope.com/jargon/program.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I give this larp a C+

it doesn't even matter. even if it were a flawless victory, it wouldn't affect the value atm.

Yeah you are correct about most of the criticism but I wouldn't see it as a huge issue that they are working with (not even that many) CLR's. It's basic practise in non-html programming.

example of good crypto github pls

Pretty disappointed with myself that even though I dont know what any of those words mean I can tell thisnis a larp just from the tone.
I need to go outside more.

You cannot use CLR's in that kind of way. It hinders the flow of live-data and the purpose of Chainlink doesn't combine well with all the redirecting that has to take place in CLR's.

check out NEO and Telegram's blockchain integration looks solid

My dad has worked for Nintendo for 30 years and he says you're gay.

cannot win an arguement against 16 year old basement dwelling retards investing in the "next revolutionizing tech" with their lunch money

He looks like Boris from Goldeneye 007. Can see Sergey flipping a pen in his hand as he talks about smart contracts.

Fpbp

Lunch money made me more than my annual salary
and this is after the dip

link will lose to a motivated competitor, it exists solely as a guidepost towards a real product

That's the nature of every bubble... you're gonna be hurt if you're not careful.

Good analysis that stupid linkies will disregard out if hand because their fee fees. They can't accept that link can't possibly be 1k EOY. They be lucky if it makes 1 dollar.

My first thought is why doesn't someone send this to CL team for infirmation. Many Reddit dwellers here. C'mon, do it.
Then post link.

A C+ project executed in the real world is better than an A project in the imagination.

Attached: D1F3E0A4-AD1C-452D-AF7E-CD9F16623702.jpg (963x966, 297K)

this is all too true.
Many companies have their eyes on decentralized oracles (Aeternity, Witnet, Ducatur) and the output/number of devs working on this project is pathetically low for it to be a significant first mover. What happened to the $32m in ETH they had?

damn, you know your shit.
I appreciate the research you've put into this, and thank you for sharing it. I hope others seriously consider your warning

Thanks just added to my copy pasta FUD list

For real though thats a assload of cash

Thank you sir. I won't make any price prediction but yes the expectations on this board are so extremely unrealistc, even the conservative voices on here are stretching the boundaries of a plausible prediction. That's what an echo chamber of social outcasts does apparently.
I wouldn't say that will happen but I wouldn't disregard the possibility. If that would be the purpose of LINK right now, it would do an okay job actually.

>All in all it's basically a pretty good project but way too overhyped

What do you mean when you say "a pretty good project but way overhyped"?
ChainLink is exciting because it brings the possibility of completely trustless end-to-end smart contracts. The software aspect is part of this (and needs to be very good, obviously) but the reason people are so excited about ChainLink is because of the fundamental shift that it potentially precipitates. And there's a lot more than the software to look at in this regard, like developer engagement and connections with established business/fintech, both of which are very strong and getting stronger. It's clear the code they have so far is good (83% test coverage and the previous code review in medium) but there is a lot more work to be done.
I'm not arguing with your criticisms (I'm not a software engineer and for all I know they're perfectly cromulent) but I disagree with your position that ChainLink is overhyped. It's tremendously ambitious, extremely young, and seems to be approaching the problem seriously enough that people watching the project should be confident moving forward. On top of that, is it really even that "hyped" by crypto standards?

Aeternity is dead in the water after 10 seconds of research
Witnets mainnet is not coming for years way after chainlink (dead in the water)
Ducatur (DEY TOOK OUR JERBS)

No problem man and thank you. It's not that much of an effort if you know what you're looking for but a couple of boring evenings help. Also, I don't hate everyone on this board so I don't mind helping some of you who listen out.

Nice samefag

>segfaults
lol can you please explain how a decent understanding of segfaults would have made this project better

can somebody post this on their slack channel? any criticism will help them improve anywhere they need to so they can get their shit together. tired of waiting for these fucks with their thumbs up their ass

Well op, i fucked your mother.

>posting jason parser level gibberish on the slack
Yes that will go well

Yes. If you know what segfaults actually do, you would know that you cannot implement them in the logger repository. Segfaults can cause abnormal termination of the process (a program crash), and sometimes a core dump if too many transaction requests are being processed.

What do you expect by a project lead by a fucking Philosophy major who was no idea about Software Engineering at all?

This shitcoin was a failure from day one.

Attached: Sergey.gif (311x362, 1.99M)

I'm not necessarily implying that any of those in particular have a good chance. However Chainlink is leaving the door wide open to any competitor by making the project's progress dependent on less than 5 devs. In a few months we could see another company who has been slowly forking chainlink's code but spending much more capital on developers - and with more manpower a team could realistically usurp chainlink of its first-mover advantage with an improved product. The idea is great, Sergey seems great (literally), but it's clear to anyone that the team is lacking in manpower.

Thank you OP for taking so much time and effort to do all this research. You're the man!

That was literally the code word that made me realize what he wrote was 100% bullshit.

> overhyped

maybe on Jow Forums but I don't see it talked about anywhere else

Not talking about the quantity of hype, but the type of hype this project is getting. It's not as world-changing as people think it is. The idea, maybe, but what the platform actually CAN do, not really.

Newfag that’s like 2 year old pasta

>so many fucking unnecessary lines and CLR's, his stuff couldn't run on a IDE compressor LET ALONE on something like the Ethereum network

also. it holds up to a light skim right

But they're still in alpha, so this criticism seems a bit overblown. It's not like the finished product is out and not living up to expectations.

oh no, you mean to say they implemented segfaults into the logger repository? but that could cause abnormal termination of a process! enhance enhance!

So the topic creator is larping?

>implementing a segmentation fault
user...

That was a fun one... I think I fucked with 5-10 people so it was worth it. I could let this thread die but I am falling asleep right now and wanted to tell you that of course I was larping. Everyone is on this board. Be cautious. Wasn't even this hard, wrote some shit out of my ass and used this computerhope.com/jargon/program.htm

Good night everyone

Also thanks to the anons who played along and discussed, I mean I believe they played along because they had to know I was talking shit, I didn't even know the meanings of the terms.

You're not supposed to tell them

You got played player !
Lurk boy, lurk.

>admitting to a larp
ksg yourself

Decent troll action here, got me, but I'm a brainlet.
For real though, why don't they hire like 5-10 more developers?
Can't find enough skilled folk? Just double the salary, which shouldn't make that large of a dent in the 32M funding reserves.
Don't need more devs? Is that it?

probably greed

I swear to god I'll stab you in the neck nigger.
Don't slip up.

Then do it yourself faggot.

Attached: 47C716E6-EBA9-4C87-B019-73FCABDFBDA0.png (1242x2208, 171K)

Attached: 48B0DF70-2767-47A1-BD6F-FFD6C6A913B3.jpg (750x1008, 167K)

thodges is mostly busy with wrecking competitors' offices.
He drives around in an old BMW with Lithuanian plates his bat with razor wire in the backseat.
His main contribution to the project is convincing other projects to give way to CL. Aeternity, Mobius... Especially Mobius. The day they partnered with Walton he was furious. He went straight to these guys, tied them up and explained very gently that they need to fud their own coin into oblivion and stay the fuck away from oracle consumers.
Just in case he also went to China and brought the Walton team wisdom teeth of Mobius programmers saying that they are not so wise anymore, so it'd be better for Walton dind some other oracle provuder in future.
REQ on the other hand had been smart enough to make friends with CL even before thodges joined Sergey. But he still drops by for a cup of tea to make sure they are not secretly working on their own oracle solution.
All in all, Sergey is the brain and thodges is the brawn. You can't beat this team and don't you dare saying thodges should be ditched. Rory once said so in his face, and since then Rory can't appear in public.

Upvote

That was a fantastic video

Good job user
I wanted to believe because the general assessment is spot on (down to thodge being the worse coder), I just couldn't understand wtf you would be talking about a CLR in a Golang project or what that had to do with an IDE.
7/10 overall

how does he get out of there without breaking all the eggs?

Because all these projects are fucking scams. Literally all of crypto is completely bullshit

Nooooo, dont tell them next time

Serious chainlink code review. I'm a hoppy game developer who created small games like Tetris clone. I can work alone and finish the chainlink github code in 2 month. Chainlink developers are given 6 months since September 2017 and paid in large amount of LINK tokens, and they only make such little progress. What the fuck are they doing? Is this a serious project?

OP is retarded, CLR is a .net runtime, that manages the execution environment. We now refer to this as control flow.

>OP doesn't even realize we are using Go, not .NET

Spreading your code across many repositories allows you to reuse certain segments of code without having to run large functions. Their control flow is actually how we are being taught to program these days.

Object oriented languages like java already break up segments of code into classes and then further break it up into functions. This is more efficient and is industry standard.

OP is having a fit over the fact that they are segmenting code even though this process actually makes code more simplified and human readable.

Its copypasta bro chill out.

He lists segfaults and nodelists as pros, it is like saying carburetor to someone that knows nothing about cars.

OP fk you I didn't full read this thread yet

Me too