Would you rather thread

Get a million bucks lumpsum now or 75k per year for the rest of your life

Attached: IMG_2339.jpg (668x620, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43561379
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is a good way to split the retards from those with common sense. The 75k is the obvious choice. Now, if you were to say 30k/y it might be something of a dilemma

Anyone that doesn't choose 75k per year for the rest of your life is fucking retarded.

75k of course
I plan to life longer than 15 more years

75k if it gets adjusted by inflation

take million

put it all in btc

I don't know man, in 10 years 75k will be worth no more than 10k now.

Lump sum, because of TVM.

I'd take the million but I have a terminal illness and will be dead in 5 years

literally this

If I had a million dollars now, I could do so much more with it with my whole life ahead of me than I could with 75k/yr.

I'd take the million and go all in on DBC :)

Even if it doesn't adjust for inflation a steady yearly payout is a hell of a lot more manageable than $1 million straight up and I can't lose it all from dumb choices of my own

Attached: Consider.jpg (480x360, 18K)

75k easily
You could fuck off with 25k, invest 25k, and live like a neet with the other 25k every year.

retarded, so if you're 25 and take the 75k/yr you'd make the whole 1m by age 38, then everything after is just cream - so live to 85 and you'd see 4.5 mil altogether, and that's for doing NOTHING
take the 1m and what, fuck it off on this ponzii crypto? i can see 90% of jabrones here doing that

aka you're 100% retarded if u don't take the 75k

Faggot

The question really is:
How long do you plan to live?
The implications are massive.

1 million due to opportunity cost of investing

Lose 80%, need yo pay tax on mill, kys

1 mil. Use the money, grow it.

Choose 75? Enjoy inflation

The people who didnt take the lumpsum are never gonna fucking make it.

This, seriously.

for a non retarded investor (not you people), lump sum

know you retards you would invest all 1 million in the first year alone and wouldn't average down into anything, so the 75k a year would save your ass and force you to average down yearly at the very least

are they both tax free?

Attached: 4111D1BD-61C4-4147-980E-400C17BD2731.jpg (600x598, 38K)

>Million dollars now
>Buy bitcoin & alts
>Be a billion/trillionare in 5 years
>Meanwhile all these brainlets are waiting 13 years to get what I got day 1

Attached: 1518189351344.jpg (1154x1500, 1.16M)

the million now and buy chainlink with it to make a cool billion by eoy

1 million lump sum
>what is compound interest

Attached: 1510488465207.jpg (710x594, 123K)

I will also take the million.
Invest 1 million in share market now. Reinvestment of dividends in 7 years = 2million
7 years of 75K, even with investment = less than a million.

Lump sum. Toss it into a portfolio yielding 7.5% annually on average. Congrats. You now have both 75k a year in earnings and $1MM in the bank. Oh, and if you're smart, you can devise ways of circumventing inflation whereas your 75k in your 30 will probably be worth jack shit.

Call me a faggot but I would take the lump sum 1m. Put it in an investment yeilding 10% a year. Take the other $25k and re invest into original. I don't have the time to calculate it but it would be a butt load more then the 4.5mil you'd make taking 75k over 60 years.

Wait a sec are any of us lump-summers accounting for taxes?

Attached: 1520588860247.jpg (250x250, 7K)

would you rather rape or murder

Attached: 1514262428721.jpg (960x1280, 240K)

I assumed either option was after taxes. As in money I actually get.

Lump sum is mathematically superior for a dozen different reasons

as in after putting it in an investment like in

then not or

you could literally take a million dollars invest it in property and make 100k+ a year while having a million in assets

Your a fucking idiot. You invest the lump some and if you want to play it safe put the lump sum in a mutual fund and let it sit

Attached: 55F6402A-2FE1-4F89-BE02-C3B62ADE5EFB.jpg (750x422, 56K)

yup, we know who is the idiot here

Oh shit thought it was 75,000 of the million and not for the rest of your life. Then 75,000 for sure

Attached: 1E1D0638-94C7-4B3D-A71F-3DF80B492904.jpg (645x773, 63K)

Holy fuck anyone that picks a million is full retard

75K for the rest of my life, easily. But then again, most people on this board probably have multiple decades left to the point where it could end up being several million over their lifetime

see

14 years with 75k/year will get you 1 million

If you had a million bucks, you could easily double it in safe markets within 14 years and have 2 million by that point, while you were also living off it in the mean time.

14 years with 1 million will get you ???

The 1 mil makes almost as much with only a 6% return without the time constraint.

Take the mil. Invest it and become trust fund adult. Also, the money outlives you. if it receive the 75k it ends with your death. the mil can, if managed properly, change your family tree beyond your own life.

If you are guaranteed the 75k for the rest of your life and it has no other limits, then the 75k easily wins in this hypothetical situation.

In the real world, the lump sum is just the safer bet.

Ha just kidding I was only pretending to be retarded

Attached: DD448B43-DF86-42B5-BDF1-66EC49BF0BA8.jpg (206x242, 13K)

>invest 1m
yup people are going to be shat on when they try go to a fund manager

its funny how people think they get 7.5% with that low of a number

this.. if I properly invest that mil today it could turn into 20-30 million by the end of my life.. just doing the math quick gives me less than 3 mil by the end of my life, and given inflation 75k wont support half a year by the end of my life.

shitty dude, hope you are able to enjoy whats left

el retardado

anyone not taking the 1m is fucking retarded

If the 75k doesn’t go up with inflation then 1 mill is better. If it does then 75k is the best.

Obviously the lump sum

75k is not even one lambo. 1 mill is 3

Not exactly rocket science

Wow this thread really separates the retards from the smart anons

I have aids and will die in 6 months...
Am I retarded?

Attached: 1484064603523.png (350x338, 67K)

>doesn't give his own choice

Attached: 1492685298075.jpg (548x600, 35K)

thank you user

1 million dollars now.
Buy 1 million worth of stocks.

Get 100k per year and keep reinvesting it.
While I work my 50k job and invest 20k per year.

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43561379

A Canadian teen took $1,000 a week over $1 million dollars. I think she did the wrong choice.

Million bucks now, buy properties, make bank off of those while maintaining appreciating assets. I'd keep wagecucking for another 5-10 years though, and then retire at 30-35, being completely set for life.

She absolutely did make the wrong choice. $52k/year is nice neet money for now but you can get more than that just from the dividends 1 million would give.

>I think she did the wrong choice.
For an average person, investing is something they can't comprehend.

With 1 million dollars. If you put it all on VOO. You'll get 8% on average returns with 1.5% in dividends per year. That's like 9.5% return which is 95k per year.

1 million now, all on red.

Not only that but if something catastrophic happens and you need to borrow 200k dollars at 12% you done fucked yourself if you took the 52k/year.

this.

anyone who says otherwise is a brainlet

Really takes the pressure off so I can concentrate on getting properly wealthy.

Attached: DY7ZMmtU8AEzZsZ.jpg (666x381, 55K)

Isn't the stock market bound to crash soon 2008 style?

Yes, and Canada is going to completely fall apart. They don't even have a real economy to fall back on.

The present value of the annuity is worth less than 5 digits unless the market rate is going to tank for the next umpteenth couple of years.

You can drag your dick across ETrade with a million and do better

I'm retarded. 10% not 10 flat. Still need the market to do fucking awful to make taking the flat annuity worth it.

Then the other user recommending investing in S&P 500 is bad advice then

You'd be a moron not to take the 75k a year.
You would make over a million just over 13 years.

keep current job, take $75k and use it to acquire some rental properties and build up a network of tenants until it pays my living expenses with a surplus. gradually use more of the income to invest in crypto, precious metals, and maybe some blue-chip stocks with dividends and a vanilla index fund

that, or just use a small portion of the $75k to travel abroad and spend some time in comfy places with low COL

You'll hear Jow Forums keep saying that for no reason.

Let's say it does.
You bought 1M worth of stocks right at the peakest peak of the market 2007. In 1 year you'll have 590k valued of stocks in 2008.

In 2009 it'll be valued at 700k

In 2010, it'll be valued at 826k.

In 2011, 880k,

2012, 1M

2013, 1.2M

Etc.

It's not a big deal. The value of businesses is better than commodity. Keep in mind, the value of the dollar also fell 50% during that time.

If you want to wait for the crash, you'll be waiting a long time. Cause everybody is expecting a crash. That's not how crashes work.

More like you're a moron for not understanding the time value of money. If the 75k doen't go up with inflation then it's by means a no-brainer.

You're arguing with people shilling shitcoins that they all think will be as large as bitcoin was. Of course they don't understand the time value of money or how purchasing power decreases.

with 1million you get already 100k/year in any low risk investment, so 1million is the best option and only an utter retard wouldn't think so

/thread

lumpsum. there's no guarantee that whatever entity keeps paying me 75k a year forever

Very informative...still it must suck to watch 1 million get cut in half, if I waited a couple years after the 2008 crash I would be in a much better position.

>never gonna fucking make it.
>75k every year.

I'll take the 75k Its way less effort and less risk. Getting a million is like a basket of eggs that you could drop if your'e not careful. I'd rather just have two eggs every morning for breakfast and not worry.

75k is more than enough to be on holiday forever.

Why not something like VTSAX over VOO? Is VTSAX too diversified?

All you guys saying 10%, 7.5% return etc are you for real?
The safe withdrawal rate is like 3%. $30k / year.
In what universe can I withdraw 7.5% of my starting capital a year and not be taking a huge risk?
> I have some capital, if I was comfortable spending 7.5% I could literally retire now. Convince me this is safe.

10% return doesn't necessarily mean 10% withdrawal.

It happened to me. Since then, I have a distribution of assets that let me sleep at night. In fact, should we have another crash, I will be able to take advantage. Having a plan is key.

>being a brainlet who can't into passive income

Care to elaborate...?

I always hold some cash, bonds, and gold. They're boring as shit until they're not. Should we crash they'd be rebalanced into equities, always maintaining my planned allocation into the various asset classes.

It would suck but a smart investor knows that the value will be back.
Buffet purchases stocks forever.
If the stock value goes down, buy more.
It'll give you higher returns it'll average out.

>Care to elaborate...?
Money can be made in crashes.
And recovery.
The guy probably doesn't care about his assets right now because he has them for long term. When the value goes down, it's cheap and you buy it.
This is why day traders don't make money and long term investors always do.

Just think of stocks as business you're buying. Don't think of it like "something that goes up and down".

share allocation here
t. brainlet

>75k per year for the rest of your life
This. It's enough to enable you to do whatever you want with your life. A million dollar lump sum could be more profitable under some scenarios, but I would still prefer the annuity, since no matter how bad I turn out to be with money, I'll never be able to fuck it up completely.

It's going to depend on your own risk tolerance, portfolio size, standards of living, age (if you're in the workforce), etc., so no easy answer for everyone. But personally I'm 40 and plan to continue working for the next 10 years or so, and I have about 65-70% in stocks (I have a range there as I'm a fan of convertible bonds)

You will never have wealth, you're a degenerate gambler. You're so blinded by cryptogreed, you don't do basic math - 75k a month is 900k a year, no matter what. Over a typical lifetime, of 70 years (longer, you'll be rich), that's more money than bitcoin will make any time soon. Put half of that 75 a month into traditional investments, you'll grow the money faster than anything in crypto, at less risk, and still live better than 95% of the planet.

But 'Hurrr durrr, million on Bitcoin", right?

Retard.

it's 75k a year not 75k a month actually

75k at 3% inflation a year will be worth 55k in 10 years, 30k in 30 years, 16k in 50 years, 9k in 70 years.

this is you

lmao

Attached: 1517041347958.png (633x758, 132K)

>75k a month

thanks for making me feel smarter user, I needed the pick me up.

6/10 made me smile

Attached: 1455613986941.jpg (400x200, 5K)

mfw btc doesn't dip 7 days in a row

Attached: 9465aaa0-2917-4ded-9d9b-725fbb2482c9_16x9_WEB.jpg (940x529, 84K)

the only answer is 75k per year. That would be a yearly interest rate of 7.5% on your 1 million. Common sense retirement say withdraw 4% to preserve principal long term. So 75k per year that is assured is like having 1.875 million up front, but without downside risk of black swan events or beginning withdrawls during a market crash period.

give me the 75k per year