Buying a movie theatre

Has anyone ever bought or managed a movie theatre? I have the opportunity to buy one in my town of 5000. Single screen, updated to digital, $200,000.
Does anyone have an experience or advice they could give?

Attached: 12310428_1537486203239917_4076717705217789175_n.jpg (720x960, 71K)

Get a real job!

why would you want to buy a movie theatre of all things? i dont even know anyone who still goes to those things and in a town of 5000 too. You are literally throwing your money away.

It's the only form of entertainment in this town in the evening. Full house on weekend and about 40% full during the early week

i would like to buy one (not the one on the pic though).

Demolish it and build a fancy club.

why are they selling this cash cow

buy it.

You dont know anyone who goes to a movie theatre?

You need to find out how much it costs to get the latest movie. Basically you are competing with Netflix.

How many people work here? Can you serve alcohol

that's the $200,000 question, what aren't they telling you?

with movie theatre attendance being at record lows I would think twice before buying

>$200,000 for a run-down movie theatre in a town with a population of 5000

Really hope you’re just bored and trolling.

Buying into dying industry gl

because a guy bought it a year ago thinking it would be a source of income with no management. He had his son and friend operate it and I don't believe they really know what they're doing. They also have not tried to innovate using the space to try and increase the number of customers

So the guy bought it, realized it wasn’t what he expected, ran it into the ground and now wants out.

pretty much. I don't know what he did but he wants to drop it fast

The profit margins on movie theaters are actually negative. The studios demand nearly 100% of proceeds from ticket sales.

dont be stupid, biggest mistake of your life

that's why you make money on soda and popcorn

employment is at 87% and medium income is $79,000. You can serve alcohol but I don't know if this theatre is up to spec to serve booze
I have tickets as a net 0 profit for income, I was thinking of turning the ticket counter into a small coffee shop during the day and making the theatre space available for rental. There is a large enough stage in from of the screen to hold a play and enough space at the front to set up tables for a conference.

OP say you want to rent it for a year. If you can make it work you will pay the 200k.

When you rent it try to make it profitable.

This way you can try to see if you can fix the business.

get boxes of 50 cent pieces when you get your change from the bank.
you can pull out the silver coins and use the rest as change for your customers.

that's the worst theatre i;ve ever seen

Just open a bar.

Conference in a town of 5000 lmao

i just checked Blairmore's population and its 1500

There's 5 major mines 20 minutes away and a new mine in town opening in the next 2 years
blairmore is 1500 but total of the pass is ~5000

I hope your not thinking of buying the one you pictured. That looks fucking awful.

really cool digits

I'm a Lethbridge nigga I'd cum see ya movie

I'd also consider converting the space into something else but I'm not sure what
I expect to see you at the opening my honky

Maybe I'd see one after a hike in the pass or something

The problem with conferences in a small town with only 1 screen means you lose the capability of using that screen to get people who will buy concessions. Having worked at a theater, conferences or rentals 80% of the time don't buy any concessions, thus no money to the company (except maybe a hundred dollars for the rental itself). That's why my theater has multiple screens, so it can have some side rental for extra cash but the concessions is the money maker. Don't rent unless you're willing to charge a decent amount of cash, and if you have big Companies and you get a good name it shouldn't be hard to do so.

Now that's a nice real estate location user, you can buy the entire building for 200k?

Woops

Attached: orpheum-theatre-blairmore-alberta-canada-F1N6GR[1].jpg (1300x957, 235K)

$200,000 for a movie theatre that you’re going to essentially tear down and make into something else, sounds like a ton of work and $$$ to make it happen. Plan to have another $100-200k to pay for construction/parts for whatever it is you’re planning to do.

I think buying a movie theatre, especially the onle pictured, would be a terrible idea. Especially with the way technology is moving. I’d think it would be a better idea to rip it up and make a coffee shop in the morning and bar/lounge by night. It could be legit given that there’s enough demand and you don’t have a Starbucks in a mile radius or something

I unironically have one in my basement (16 comfy movie theater sofa capacity). I'd post it on here but that would give away my identity, since my designer has pictures of it all over the web.

That's right, that whole purple building for $200,000 asking
I like the idea of the coffee and lounge business. The only coffee shops are a hippy greener one 2 blocks down that play loud indie music during the day and sell $3 cups of coffee and a tim hortons about 2 km away right on the highway.

How much did that cost? What size screen?

buy the purple building and lease it to other fools to try to run a movie theater in

Tim hortons would be a tough cookie to crumble. You’d have to have something that customers need to go to you for. Buy the best coffee machines, hire an interior designer and make the vibes like no other. Vibes were a huge reason why Starbucks made it so big.

Who cares if you "give away your identity" on an obscure Mongolian Seating Advice forum? Show us your cool stuff, richfag

oh don't buy anything for a few months, wait for the market to crash more so he'll be desperate

Maybe you could do specials OP.

Coffee and a movie for X amount. probably get some pensioners around if nothing else and bored students/hipsters for the cheap coffee and movie

The nice think about the tim hortons is it far enough away from the main street that it is considered out of the way. Almost everyone in town has to come to the main street to use their bank, go to a pharmacy, or use the post office. I believe the 'alpine' look would do well here as a coffee shop and bakery, as theres no bakery in town

Run the numbers first. If you aren't willing to put together a formal business proposal for yourself don't bother.

Definitely. Cozy vibes would be the way, install a fireplace (use wood if it’s permitted). You must make it an attraction

this also do not try to combine commercial real estate investing with running a shitty small business if you have no experience in either. start with one or the other

So, you ask a board of degenerates who put their life savings into buying intangible assets into buying a dying tangible business.

What would be profitable but not entertaining/in demand: royalty free movies.

How do you compete with $10/month netflix/tinder hookups?

In an american household, the living room is actually spacious enough for a family to get together to watch a movie - killing the majority of why you go to a theatre - to have space to watch a movie.

New releases: There's no point man, margin is so thin you'll need to make it up on concessions that no one is going to want to pay for. $10 for a soda and popcorn? Bitch, please, no. Now if you have a deal for $10 for movie, popcorn and soda - or fuck make it $15 or do a promo of unlimited movies/month with your VIP Pepe Pass for $49.99 and hope no one really takes you up on it - that could work too.

But more or less, you'll probably make more money turning it into a gym if it includes the building.

marketing/advertsing is going to be hard as fuck.

Competition is hard as fuck.

Innovation? What the fuck are you going to innovate? MOvies on a blockchain, where you track movie assets per theatre or ticket counts on blockchain? Hey, actually....

nigger

the movie business is fucking dying. why would you think this is a good investment? do you have any backup plans such as video game nights or cult movie nights?

honestly I want to make an arcade but the movie theatre is there and established and the one of the major customer segments are the same

So you combine to failing business motives. Holy fuck, op. You know being a passionate small business owner/romantic is fake, right?

Right?

That's why I haven't just run to the bank to take out a loan for this thing. I am working on a business plan for the theater but I'm also brainstorming other ideas from coffee shops to micro-energy supply provider

it's a great idea, pls do waste 200k, i love to see amerimutts totally ruined by their stupidity.

VR lounge, OP

OP the only way this will work is if u think outside of the box, think youtube but on the big screen, screen any small time film student or aspiring filmmakers work, with no selective process - anyone can screen their project for a minimal fee, take a percentage of ticket price and serve beer.

200.000 usd is expensive senpai, bid 110k usd for it.

Also, do not project neomarxist movies. And remember, you get the money from the bar not from the tickets.

Unless you're doing a dine-in theater you won't make money. Get a liquor license to sell shitty craft beer to plebs on top of overpriced food and you might make it

Do away with all the chairs and put some quality one person sofa's in there, within nice boots that grants people some privacy. Serve excellent foods and drinks during the movie. Make it a bit more exclusive.

Thats the first thing that comes in mind when seeing the pic.

Also, i need a work visa so i can escape this commie shithole called Europe. Can i be your employee? I'll devote my fucking life to that place just so i can be in America. No joke.

Attached: 1510788773029.gif (350x184, 625K)

Yeah i'd sponsor you. Someone willing to do all that to come here sounds like someone who is good to do business with

Sex doll brothel for the miners. Pay some Jow Forumstard $15 /hr to clean the dolls in between customers. Get an Asian doll and he'll spend his entire paycheck there anyway.
t. Jow Forumstard

Attached: 1517538955166.gif (660x780, 201K)

you sound like a nice guy, really do. But alas... i just realized you're with team chocolate. So no can do.

Lmao OP whats your reasoning?
Crypto isnt tanking hard enough so you to find the only industry thats looking worse!?

kek

not everyday that a movie theatre comes up for sale. The idea of the project piqued my interest

If you can make it like the AMC diner n theaters with food bar etc comfy chairs.

Hshdhbs

So the place is rundown? Link pics?

You better have him show you the books though.

I don't know how profitable it would be seeing how the past few years have been for the industry and the fact that you're in a small town, but if I ever "make it", it's the kind of thing that I would like to do. You can show recent normie movies, but there's also the possibility of doing midnight screenings of older stuff (I don't know how you'd need to pay for rights, but people do these kinds of things, so there must be a way). If you're in a small town it would also be possible to rent the room for conferences and etc. I guess, since there might not be a lot of places like this. I don't think you'd make bank, but if you don't need to, it could be a fun thing to do.

OP I’m gonna give you sound advise, whether you like it or not. DO NOT abut that old timey movie theater in 2018. You are much better off with $200,000 in the S&P500. Don’t risk all that money dude