/djt/ - Daily Japanese Thread #1990.76

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Vandalism edition!
Assignment: Take a picture and do some MS Paint editing. Add a 日本語 caption! Don't be emberass, take it easy and 毎日を楽しんで!

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous Thread: * Very super hopefully this one lasts a bit longer

Attached: 1522444767357.png (1292x1025, 690K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OFS239Q4brg
a.safe.moe/A6ybya0.txt
a.safe.moe/9OcxoWL.pdf
antimoon.com/other/myths.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=GpNecaU91jw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peeps
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I doubt this thread would last very long. Easter spam in the next few hours is imminent

I didn't know there was such a thing. Shit.

looks like it's already over

いいですよ!!!
こんにちわ!

Do your reps and then post

its your duty

dead threads are dead

didn't meant to reply

Anyone here read the GOSICK light novels? How would you rate the difficulty?

if we take kanji count (1,654) as an indicatorfor difficulty it should be easier than Oreimo with 1,667 kanji
I haven't read either, but you should be fine I guess

I think kanji count is a bit dubious as a measure of difficulty. Some of the 物語シリーズ novels have

I read 砂糖菓子の弾丸は撃ちぬけない by the same author and it was a breeze (though not the absolute easiest thing I've read).

that's why I wrote indicator, but yea, theoretically you could fill a cookbook with tons of obscure kanji, but that wouldn't make it "difficult" per se
anyway, with this relatively low kanji count I'm assuming they won't challenge their reader with overly complicated grammar either

youtube.com/watch?v=OFS239Q4brg

Attached: saiyan.jpg (1920x1080, 220K)

>Tomorrow is the beginning of yet another 25 grueling days

Reps already >200, February keeps punishing me.

But reps have part of you. In that way I will miss them when I finish in 25 years time.

Bump

How come these threads do so badly lately?

They've never been fast but they seem to have virtually died in the last few months.

I really like the design of that pic. Kudos to the user who made it.

most regular poster here just don't have any questions
We need more dekinais

Could be exactly that. The typical newbie-weeaboo-user goes to /a/ (anime is a gateway drug into learning Japanese), but now that /djt/ isn't there anymore, they probably don't even know it exists on Jow Forums. Maybe they pass by /jp/, idk.

in what order should I learn the kana? is there a frequency list somewhere? also do I really need to learn all the readings of は

>in what order should I learn the kana?
You have to learn all of them. It only takes 2-3 days. Get to it.

>is there a frequency list somewhere?
Pointless. You have to learn all of them.

>do I really need to learn all the readings of は
ALL
OF
THEM

a.safe.moe/A6ybya0.txt

Manga ebooks. Lemme know if someone wants something. Not entirely up to date, as I've been ripping stuff from Kindle every now and then.

Nearing finals of my last semester. Been a bit too busy to read and ask questions.

Just found out about these threads, am interested in getting started. Tried going to reddit but their forum for learning Japanese seems to have a lot of contradictory advice so I'm confused. Gonna look at the getting started guide here.

Here's a textbook on translation theory for any TL-fags who are interested. It's only the second edition, but hardly anything changes between textbook versions anyway.

>Introducing.Translation.Studies.Theories.and.Applications.2.edition.pdf

a.safe.moe/9OcxoWL.pdf

Was there a point where you just seemed to 'get it'? That you started to simply understand without thinking too hard?

I feel like when I start learning more complicated things, I start to forget other more basic things. It's been about two years and I passed JLPT5 last winter, but I still have to actively pay very close attention otherwise I struggle. Vocabulary and kanji are fine, but grammar, sentence formation and improvising are still such a struggle. Does conversation end up coming naturally or did you just practice basic sentences really hard until you had a template stuck in your head?

Sorry, it's more of a vague question than related to study.

Do you have Tobira's teacher's edition? I can't seem to find one and I cannot check if I'm interpreting the readings in Tobira right.

Stop whatever sillyness you're doing and read and listen to native content for hours every day.

antimoon.com/other/myths.htm

I don't think there's a certain point that you can just pinpoint, but personally I believe focusing novels instead of Manga is one of the most important steps you should take once you're good enough that it's not just a chore

Don't suppose you know where to find the Overlord LNs in digitised format?

It didn't take very long of just reading and listening every day for things to start becoming intuitive to me. Granted, there's still a lot that I don't understand.

Before I tried actually reading native content, I tried reading this and that grammar guide, reading entries in the DoJG, etc., all in hopes that I would somehow become fluent from doing so, but it didn't help me at all. It's really sad to think of all the time I wasted due to my misconceptions about how language learning worked.

In other words, the fastest way to learn after getting the kana and grammar down is to start reading native material?

Yes.

That was what I found. It will be pretty brutal in the very beginning while you haven't yet developed any intuitive understanding and are having to figure everything out through what you consciously learned in Tae Kim or whatever, but before long your brain will just start putting the pieces together and you'll be able to understand more and more and more without having to think about it.

I would advise not to dwell too long on sentences you don't understand since at the beginning there will be so much that you just don't get and trying to force yourself to understand things that you just don't understand is only going to stress you out and make you feel bad about your level of ability. You want to be getting as much exposure as possible anyway, so spending too long on any given sentence is counterproductive.

Is it usually written as こんにちわ or こんいちは? I always thought it was the latter, using は as the ""subject"" particle or whatever.

Don't have it.

An ebook store like Rakuten or Kindle is the best for LNs. Gives you an epub with HTML files.

Its always spelled as こんにちは or 今日は with kanji iirc its a shortening of a longer phase and is essential "today is..." so は is using the particle form

Yeah, we should probably just wait for Sunday to be over once this thread here dies.

Enjoy the pepes tomorrow, se y'all on /jp/ or Discord.

(It's already midnight over half the planet, not sure why it hasn't started for real yet)

Attached: 1500127794017.jpg (704x480, 22K)

>When you start skimming this video to find where it starts

Attached: 1417632651.gif (350x260, 1.58M)

>antimoon.com/other/myths.htm
>Myth #3:
>“It is OK to make mistakes”
lol, this guy is so far up his own ass. Does he have any data to support his claims or does he just bash this shit out of his macbook?

Attached: ackchyually.png (200x200, 24K)

Here's another one
>Myth #4:
>“As a beginner, you’re bound to make a lot of mistakes”

If you don't have any data limits on your connection, please upload all manga volumes not currently in the CoR/manga page. Even if someone doesn't want something now, no doubt they will want it later.

I ain't uploading 2tb.

The site was written by Poles who learned English as adults following the method they espouse. The proof that they know what they're talking about is that you never noticed that they weren't native English speakers.

The internet is full of people who are better learners than teachers. We all know to avoid mistakes. I guess his point is to not speak for the first few years. He comes off very perfectionist. Staying engaged in motivated in your studies is way more important than his style espouses.

What is the best way to say "what's happening", as in there's something that is currently occurring that you don't understand?

Only extr*verts need to force outputting in order to stay motivated.

GUYS, now you can add both swastikas as words:

万字巴
右卐

Attached: 1494151341098.jpg (600x525, 34K)

Sure, then you're saying the plan doesn't work for a massive portion of the population?

卍巴
Oops, I fucked up the first one.

It would work for those people if they did it, regardless of whether or not they find it unappealing.

In the first place, are you really learning Japanese for the primary reason of speaking to Japanese people? I don't think there are really many people out there who learn languages just to speak to other people from a certain foreign country. If you're learning Japanese then most likely you're interested in Japan's media, not its people, and the consumption of media is generally a solitary pursuit which doesn't require conversing with others (especially if we're talking about written media).

Seems like the Easter spam has finally started. Wonder how long this thread can survive.

>Chocolate
爆笑

Not very long because the April Fool shitposting is coming too

We are Team KARA BOĞA

がんばって、ピップス!

Hail KARA BOĞA, brother.

Hi!!
We are Team KARA BOĞA

>Japanese
>Asian
>Not Peanut Butter

Is peanut butter popular in Asia?

I've literally never seen it for sale anywhere here. It was always weird seeing it all the time in American media when I was a kid since I had no idea what it was.

It's not as popular as chocolate but it is more popular than the 3 other choices here. Although, it might be because of American influence.

チョコチームゲット!

OH NOOOOOO!

Attached: 1503618143005.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

はっはっは、ミニちんちん!

Reminder that Gosick happens in Europe, so there will be a lot less kanji due the foreign nomenclature of things.

If 1600 is a "normal" amount, then bump it a few notches to get a real picture of what Gosick's level is.

dude TF is going on?

twitch-tv/odanobunagasan

Jow Forums X settings > Filter > Subject:
/daily japanese thread/i;highlight;

Anti spam bump

finally home after a week of travel. Time to get some new cards into anki!

Attached: 1484137574158.gif (300x270, 2.87M)

お帰り

Attached: 1424888203625.jpg (420x300, 13K)

ヌルゲーってなに?

Attached: 1519085312806.png (311x355, 72K)

I just was skimming through some passages here and there and the grammar seems pretty straightforward and there are lots of furigana for really easy shit like 猫 and 普通 for example

why
youtube.com/watch?v=GpNecaU91jw

Attached: tatanakunatta.png (1920x1080, 2.69M)

You will read the whole thing and you'll like it!

Attached: 1522471837690.jpg (500x417, 27K)

このチームクリームとかチョコレートって何?

ただのエイプリルフールのエベントよ

そうなんだー。ありがとう!

温い(ぬるい)
温い means lukewarm,easy,not amounting to much.
温いゲーム→ヌルゲー→easy video game

あ、そうか。

サンキュね

It is very difficult for non-native to study English colloquial expression.
I often watch video of Japanese American YouTuber who teach English.
Are there any good way?

留学

Your best bet is probably just to google them. Whenever I run into a Japanese expression that I don't understand, 9/10 I'm able to find out what it means via a google search.

Might actually be a good idea if we had Daily English Threads on Jow Forums for ESLs to ask questions in. I dunno if the mods would allow them, or if native speakers would participate in them, but maybe you could try starting the trend.

TV

Is it worth going through all of 6k or is there a point where I should stop new cards and begin working through my mined cards?

you could just start reading/mining after 2 or 3k words, but I don't think there's any harm in finishing 6k. some useless exceptions aside you'll have to mine these words anyway eventually
the people who bitch and moan about core6k are the ones who'll never read anything outside of their comfort zones

Attached: 1424991088776.png (417x500, 155K)

test

I just went next door and I became M*ni. Oh well, PB is dead last anyway.

Team Loli is the best team

Attached: 4chan in a nutshell.jpg (1280x720, 134K)

I don't think the threads would be too lively because there is a minimum requirement of English proficiency needed to use this site. Like someone mentioned here, dekinais are actually the ones that make these threads active. It's more unlikely that there is an ESL equivalent of dekinais because they wouldn't be even browsing here.

peep と mini ってどういう意味ですか?
peepがpurpleの変形で
miniはmintの変形?

Peepはマシュマロのことだと思う。
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peeps

これがminiです(´・ω・`)

Attached: 1522569231113.jpg (640x640, 55K)

:(

なるほど。お菓子のことか。ありがとーXD

あああ、あの・・・no Japanese thread today .
e,eExcuse me Couuld you translate this?
long sentence sorry..

>もちろん、場合によってはそこから話し合いを再開して貰うのもアリって事で、
Is the アリって here, あり得?

I don't think so.