How do borders in Europe work? Do people just immediately speak a new language once you cross the border...

How do borders in Europe work? Do people just immediately speak a new language once you cross the border, or is bilingualism at borders common? If I walked from France to Germany or Italy or Spain would people just all of a sudden start speaking German, Italian, Spanish, Catalan, etc?

Attached: Indo-European_languages_in_Europe.png (922x988, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_English_creole_hypothesis
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_re_a_faggot_hypothesis
youtube.com/watch?v=TfUuHuUK_sk
youtube.com/watch?v=c51RYYTCqZg
youtube.com/watch?v=1gGKVW51gR4
youtube.com/watch?v=DQs2BJFOLhc
youtube.com/watch?v=h4cnEknD028
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Do people just immediately speak a new language once you cross the border
yes
people often speak the wealthier neighbour countrys language though
/thread

Don't know about Europe, but here we see a gradual change from spanish to portuguese where the borders. We don't understand what they speak, neither Brazil.

sage and thread this shit

Youre starting to think like americans, why not get annexed by them already?

Yeah, I live 2 km from the Dutch border and as soon as I cross everyone speaks Dutch

Belgium literally has legal borders where you're supposed to speak which language lol.

With the Dutch-German borders people speak Dutch on the Dutch side. And German on the German side. But many people are familiar with the others language, so you can just use it in stores and restaurants if you want.

>Do people just immediately speak a new language once you cross the border, or is bilingualism at borders common?
It changes immediately. When you cross the border to go Spain for example, people immediately start to speak Castillan.

>people often speak the wealthier neighbour countrys language though
?

Oh dear

Attached: vlcsnap-00109.jpg (1920x1080, 324K)

Young people speak English almost everywhere (except for some dumb kiddos in Italy/Spain/Portugal and Hungary).
Middle aged and older people in Eastern Europe and Southern Europe don't speak any English.
Old Eastern Euros speak Russian.
Croatian, Bosnian and Serbian are the same language. All of them can speak freely with Bulgarians and Macedonians.
Swedes and Norwegians can also understand each other reasonably well without spending extra time learning the language.
If you know one language amongst: Italian, Spanish, French, Romanian, the rest are easy to learn.

>Do people just immediately speak a new language once you cross the border

Yes, because they live in that country and therefore have to do school in that country's language. In the past it probably wasn't so cut and dry. On our border with Germany, people are fairly bilingual. But I think on the Germany side, they don't really speak much Dutch.

Are there still German-speakers in Alsace-Lorraine? Are there areas of Europe where the shift is more gradual, like how Eastern Ukraine speaks Russian before you actually get to Russia?

I mean with Canada there is a gradual shift from entirely Anglo in most of the Maritimes, then it gets more and more French as you get through New Brunswick, until it is entirely French near Québec. I've never been to the Ontario-Québec border but I imagine it's similar since there are plenty of French-speakers in Ottawa and that's here bilingualism is most common. On this map dark brown is French, yellow is English, and light brown is both.

Attached: 7293769273967.png (800x684, 188K)

Yeah, but the trains on our side of the border give announcements in both Dutch and German so you shouldn't complain.

We just gas people that don't speak our language.

>Swedes and Norwegians can also understand each other reasonably well without spending extra time learning the language.
With regard to Scandinavian languages, do they just immediately change at the borders too?

>If you know one language amongst: Italian, Spanish, French, Romanian, the rest are easy to learn.
Romanian is an odd one out, even French is quite different compared to the others. I can generally understand Spanish or Italian to an extent, but Romanian is completely incomprehensible.

>Are there still German-speakers in Alsace-Lorraine?
No
There are still Alsatian speakers though, but they are all very old.
Young people in Alsace-Lorraine learn all English and sometimes Spanish or German. I wonder if Spanish isn't more advocated now in these regions.

there used to be a dialect continum with language gradually chagning the closer you came to borders, but standart language and forced schooling has changed that.

I know that most Fins are bilingual, but is there a sharp jump from primarily Finnish-speaking Finland to the Swedish-speaking areas? What about Spain and its regional language, is there a gradual switch from Spanish to Catalan, or Spanish to Galician? Where does Spanish end and Portuguese begin, right at the border? What about the German-speaking part of Italy, does it get gradually more German the closer you get, or is it an immediate jump?

I'm not complaining, there are more people that speak German on the Dutch side than people that speak Dutch on the German side.

Yes. Many language borders are fixed and cut off, however in border regions where there is a disparity in wealth and/or population size between two countries bilingualism is very common, especially in the context of customer service or other contexts. Compare it to Montreal where everyone dealing with customers is expected to know English and French.

People that live near border can speak both languages, obviously their mother tongue would be the one of their country unless exceptions like in South Tyrol

There used to be mixed populations near the borders but thanks to germans and their cuck ideology it's no longer the case

Alsatian is basically German, no?

Do Poles near the borders end up learning any of the languages of their neighbours to any significant extent?

Delete this

Areas with the majority of Swedish speaking citizens are small farmer tows where no one in their right mind would ever go

No that's a meme. Only old people speak Alsatian there only very recently has been a trend of an increase of interest in German due to youth unemployment and better work prospects.

I speak Turkic, but i'm Finno-Ugric and i live in Slavic country. It's really that complicated here.

Poles near german border obviously tend to know some german and are more likely to pick it in school over French, Spanish or something else, Czech and Slovak are pretty similar to Polish so we can talk with them without much trouble, people near kaliningrad oblast probably know some Russian too and vice versa, nobody bothers with Ukrainian and I don't know how does it look near Lithuanian border

I imagine the border with Belarus is locked down? They all speak Russian anyway, correct?

You have quite a few (formerly!) bilingual regions where there is a more gradual shift like Aosta Valley, Spanish Galicia, South Tyrol, Luxembourg, (Alsace), German-speaking Belgium, Saarland, Flensburg, Silesia, Burgenland, etc.

It's not locked down, both Poles and Belarusians need visas, but there's quite a lot Belarusians coming here, and there is some kind of special tourist visa which is easier to obtain if you want travel to Grodno, it's a city in Belarus close to Polish border with Polish minority

Are you saying that as soon as you enter Netherlands everybody just suddenly starts speaking Dutch?

Why wouldn't they
They are Dutch citizens born on the Dutch side who received a Dutch education, doesn't matter if they live 2 meters away from the border and could see Germany from the room as they grew up

I went to visit our basque friends over the border and i didn´t understand a word they spoke, it seemd some asian language.

Before there were fixed nation states there was a dialectical continuum stretching across the border and the distinction between the German and Dutch dialects was only a political one. However, now-a-days the spoken national standards are more divergent than the formerly spoken dialects. I would still expect a lot of people living in Limburg for example to know German because they studied it in school.

Attached: jelena.png (323x287, 163K)

>English
>Germanic language
Wish this meme would die. English is a Mutt tongue.

English is a French creole.

French is a German creole

That's more what I was wondering
That's interesting, I don't really know anything about Belarus other than that they produce some pretty good hockey players.
It often "sounds" like Spanish to me, but nothing makes sense. It must be nice to belong to an exclusive meme language club like that.

Creole is a German French tho

>Wish this meme would die. English is a Mutt tongue.
70% of words in these two sentences are of germanic origin though.

Not for me
I travel towards any neighbouring country and I hear dialects of Albanian being spoken

St*ckholmers understand gay Norwegian better than Danish.

Wrong

Not really, the dialect continuum was inside clearly limited borders of common language families, there is no thing like a Romance-Slavic or Romance-German continuum

Isn't Italy still quite regional when it comes to dialects? Could a Venetian and a Sicilian understand each other in their native dialects?

Proto Indo-European m8

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_English_creole_hypothesis

A constructed common ancestral language is not a dialect continuum m8
No, Italian regional language are mostly mutually unintelligible, but they form a sort of continuum

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_re_a_faggot_hypothesis

All but French speak English

>Do people just immediately speak a new language once you cross the border,
kind of yeah, people in shops usually now some basic language from neighbor countries if they are located close to border but that's it. Some civilians also know some basic language from neighboring countries but i have the feeling the bigger the country less people do that. For example in Germany basically no one speaks another language then German and English but dutch and danish people tend to speak some basic German and excelent English.

How do accents and dialects in Germany look today? I know that Bavarians have a distinct accent, but what about the rest of Germany?

im from lower saxony were people speak the most "cleanest" german without any dialects. If you meet a German from somewhere else you will hear it because of their accents. Some can hide it better and some not.

>Do people just immediately speak a new language once you cross the border, or is bilingualism at borders common?
bilingualism is common at borders.
in the border with portugal people might speak "portunhol" or the country from the opposite side.
same thing for the countries that touch france and germany, that might speak either

A lot of people near Russian border speak their language. Wealthy Russians often come to Finland for luxury goods so it's just good business sense to speak their language. I know a guy who worked in a clothing store near the border and he said that it's not unusual that a bunch of Russians stop by and buy thousands of euros worth of clothing, so they employ people who can speak Russian just to serve them.

Linguistic borders are a continuum , at least on languages of the same family.

For Estonia:

The border with Latvia is the same as the linguistic one. There used to be Estonian exclaves in Latvia but they've since died out.
Because during the middle ages, serfs weren't allowed to move, the Estonian-Latvian boundary has stayed more-or-less the same. There used to be Livonians in northern Latvia until the 19th century though, who got assimilated.

The border with Russia:
In North-eastern Estonian there are already Russians due to Soviet colonisation.
Before the 20th century there were Votes, Izhorians, and Ingrian Finns beyond the Narva river. Today, they're all almost extinct. Most Ingrian Finns live in Finland.

In South-Eastern Estonia the border is more fluid. The people who live there are called Setos, who speak the Seto language, which is in the Southern Estonian family, which is a relative of Standard Estonian but very unique.
There are very few Setos in Russia left.
The county of Petserimaa used to be a part of Estonia before WW2, but even then it was 65% Russian-speaking.

In North-Eastern Estonia*

>votes
>population less than 70

Well that must be depressing, and I thought Samaritans had it bad. That's very interesting, though, especially south-eastern Estonia.

Ye it changes immediately, but the dialects along the border on each side are heavily influenced by the other language. Swedish on the norwegian border sounds almost like norwegian and have a lot of loan words, and the other way around, but they don't straight up speak the language.

Neat, and I imagine Sami just live in the middle of nowhere kind of like Inuit?

Sami is pretty integrated actually, the norwegian state employed a pretty brutal assimilation strategy which was later dropped as it basically destroyed the sami identity in the process, but the end result is that most of them live completely normal modern lives like the rest of us. Some of them live in tents and dress like in furs like the old samis still, but most are just normal people and proud of their heritage. It's not like in Australia for example where the aboriginals have basically become hobos and junkies.

Yes, but local dialects are still very common here.

Attached: Languages_Benelux.png (320x1253, 241K)

do people still speak Frisian or is it dying out?

>Yes, but local dialects are still very common here.
>here
>Dutch flag
>posts map of lowlands
Is this Dutch revanchism?

Dialects of dutch sare spoken in belgium (and germany but no one acknowledges that...)

around 70% of the Frisians speak Frisian, so it's not dying out I guess, but the number of user has decreased a bit.

It's not in Dutch interests to reconquer Belgium. Flanders is almost autonomous within it's territory and that autonomy is expected to increase the coming years. In a reunited Netherlands the French would likely try to secede from the north again or ask France for help. Why would we want to kill a success and risk a (diplomatic) war with France?

85% of the Netherlands or so speaks in a dialect. You can hear from which region and in the case of certain cities (especially Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Utrecht, Leiden) which city someone is from. Standard Dutch is actually the Haarlem city accent I believe.

People still speak Frisian. But Limburgish is going stronger and harder to understand if people speak it strongly.
I believe we have 450k Frisian speakers. 830k Limburgish speakers. And 1,8 mil Dutch Low Saxon speakers, which we don't consider a language, but the locals do.

And on our Caribbean Islands we also have English and papiamento speakers.

Proper Frisian is also impossible to understand desu.

youtube.com/watch?v=TfUuHuUK_sk

Local languages were diminished and even outright killed in many parts of europe. The Livonian language, now dead, it's something of a mix between Estonian and Latvian.

We have two regions were the official languages are Italian and the same as that of a neighbour country (German in South Tyrol, French in Aosta valley)

Limburgish is pretty much a pain. Because it has different dialects as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=c51RYYTCqZg
youtube.com/watch?v=1gGKVW51gR4

Depends on the geography that separates the two populations from two different countries.

Some populations inside certain countries might be bilingual, while just a few kms down the border line they won't be.

We got an entire fucking region that speak some unholy, barely understandable, mixture of Danish and Swedish.

Attached: 1475397871804.jpg (600x587, 55K)

What? Pls share vids of this shit

It depends. It is the case between western and eastern Europe, because commies removed all Germans after ww2 and eastern Europeans settled in their towns. But in places without ethnic cleansings the change in languages depends on how long the current border exists, the longer is exists, the more likely it is to have the language changed immediately after crossing the border (because the local population was already assimilated if it had belonged to another culture before). So, in let's say - Germany and Holland or Spain and Portugal, the language changes immediately you cross the border. But between Ukraine and Russia or Germany and France it is not so obvious.

Anyway, if there were no ethnic cleansings, people who live at the border usually speak transitional dialects between two languages.

all of Ukraine speaks Russian. Ukrainian is not a real language

Is Frisian the comfiest language?

youtube.com/watch?v=DQs2BJFOLhc

>Silesia

No one speaks German in Silesia (only as a foreign language if he learnt it at school, but not as a native speaker). Even those who declare themselves Germans, don't speak German at home.

One day we will be reunited

Attached: anglofrisia.png (324x913, 65K)

Doutzen Kroes in Frisian

youtube.com/watch?v=h4cnEknD028

I don't know if it's relevant, but there are some languages that are only spoken near the borders of different countries. Like Kurdish.

There are around 100 000 native German speakers living in Silesia right now,according to the Polish census.

It's so cute when germans notice you're dutch and they try to answer you in dutch. :3

>There are around 100 000 native German speakers living in Silesia right now,according to the Polish census.

But they don't speak German at home, they only pretend its their native language because their grandmothers spoke some German-Polish mix. It's more like tradition.

If there were 100k German-speaking people in Poland, you would hear about them, you'd see them talking in interviews for German TV or in documents about their life etc., they would have culture Germans would know about (like you know about German-speaking people from Belgium or Alsace) But you don't see it.

All really German-speaking people had moved to Germany by the 1980s.

>aa
why is this allowed?

I don't know what it means in Frisian. But in Dutch most vowels have two sounds.

a = what
aa = haha
e = wet
ee = weed
o = oral
oo = bonus
etc

Most Germanic languages have long and short vowels. Scandinavian languages usually indicate what sound to use based on the number of consonants after the vowel. One consonant indicating long sound and two or more indicating the short sound.

So for example:
hal (slippery) use a long a-sound
hall (same as english/entré-ish) use a short a-sound

(additionally the sounds ao, oe and ae turned into their own letters: å ä ö)

The double consonent rule also applies to Dutch desu. But we have no special characters on words (except when it's a loanword) so we express exceptions with double vowels.

Linguistic nationalism is the most retarded ideology ever created.

yes as soon as i cross 1m into russian border they start yelling "Cyka blyat" and start shooting ak-s

both

A similar thing is done with a silent e in English
Con = /kon/
Cone = /kʊn/

Wow rly

Yeah it's a german dialect, just like Schwäbisch or Bayerisch.
Before the war 95% of the Alsatian population spoke Alsatian, but now everyone speak French they forgot their own language

another daft post by the new world artificial nation's poster

danish is unintelligible