Language learning thread

Language learning thread

What languages are you learning and how is it going?

I started learning Japanese a few weeks ago and it's going ok. I don't have a particular reason for learning it, just that it sounds nice and I have nothing better to do. Kanji is a bitch. Having to remember the word in Japanese, what it means in English and to recognize the kanji for it is pretty challenging.

I am also in the process of starting back up with Italian. I was near fluent at one point and my comprehension is still decent but my speaking has become very rusty after 5-6 years of inactivity. I am wondering if anyone has been in a similar position with a language and what your suggestions would be for how to go about learning from such a point? All my knowledge comes from immersion as I've sat down and studied it.

I'm mainly interested in improving my vocabulary and have been using Anki with sentences for the past few days. I'm not too concerned about grammar as I'll likely be living in Italy for an extended period in the next few years and it'll just sort itself out then + I know the basics anyways.

Attached: file.png (1600x1199, 1.4M)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Hungarian
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>as I've never sat down and studied it.*

Fuck

Welp I tried

I'm trying to learn Russian, but I'm a brainlet.
I would say I'm a weak A2 at this point.
Declension is hard.

Attached: unnamed.png (300x300, 19K)

Yes, I've been in a situation similar to that. I nearly forgot my native language/mother tongue of Syriac or Aramaic (Syriac is both the Christian name for Aramaic and the name of a historical dialect of it favored by Christians for nearly two millennia). Partly because of no formal education in it, like you, and partly because I preferred other languages.

My advice is:
Focus on literature from the past if it's available. And make comparisons with what one might say on the street today, to see what is perception and what is reality.
Avoid cliches of speech and try to remember synonyms that can be used instead, which also helps with dialects.
And maybe practice in your mind before practicing talking out loud.

Aramaic is spoken by Jews from Kurdistan and Persian Azerbaijan; some of the Mandaeans from around the Persian Gulf; Christians from Tur Abdin, from Kurdistan and Persian Azerbaijan, from around Maaloula near Damascus, and from a few modern colonies around the Caucasus; Muslims from around Maaloula; and a large diaspora for all these groups (the Jewish speakers and Christians from the far southeast of Turkey have been majority 'wiped out' from their original home).

This list is more complete than what you might find in encyclopedias, which often understate it.

I'm learning Icelandic
I know people will say its useless/gay but one of my neighbors gave me this old pocket book about the language when he heard i was going to Iceland and to my surprise I actually learned something while I was there
I NEED a keyboard though

Want to learn Russian. Are those yt language learning channels/videos any good?

I'm also learning Japanese. Christ, it is a real pain in the ass. The biggest difficulty for me by far is lack of spaces in the written language. I would be able to much more easily understand a sentence if this were the case.

I'll teach you a word, op: 下げる。

Just some advice to people in this thread, if you're learning Japanese for manga or anime you're going to get burnt out way before getting anywhere

Bump

I'm also learning Japanese and I'm in love with it, it can be too complicated at times because they basically borrowed hanzi then butchered them beyond recognition but even that I enjoy learning.

Sometimes I kinda want to learn Korean too but I know it's better to focus on a single language and if I learn Japanese there's a ton of media waiting to be consumed :)

頑張りましょう、アノンさん!

Attached: 嬉しい.jpg (400x493, 31K)

How good is your Japanese user? I want to improve my grammar, but it's tough. Too many anki cards per day

Hola a todas

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-05-13-42-35.png (2560x1600, 1M)

Eбля

I’m learning Hungarian. It’s pretty difficult, mostly because the vocabulary is completely foreign.

Bump

here's a folder with grammars for tons of languages if anyone's interested.
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

there you have it, it is useful for you. I am learning Lithuanian and being that I am the only person learning it, it is a struggle but I am having quite a lot of fun with it and the resources I have found are surprisingly very good.

DUOLINGO HAS NEW USER INTERFACE

Yes, they have crowns now!
Hungarian Wiki updated, now with new crown content
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Hungarian

> Greetings
Hi: Szia
Good morning: Jó reggelt kívánok
Good afternoon: Jó napot kívánok
Good evening: Jó estét kívánok
Good night: Jó éjszakát kívánok

> Excuse me
Excuse me: Elnézést
Sorry: Bocsánat

> Thanking and you're welcome
Thank you: Köszönöm
Thank you very much: Nagyon szépen köszönöm
Thank you, goodbye: Köszönöm, viszontlátasra
You're welcome: Szívesen
Sorry, thank you: Bocsánat, köszönöm

> Goodbye
Bye: Viszlát
Goodbye: Viszontlátasra

> How are you feeling? "Hogy vagy?"
How are you?: Hogy vagy? Hogy van?
Are you sick?: Rosszul vagy?
Hi, are you okay?: Szia, jól vagy?
Yes, I am feeling well: Igen, jól vagyok
Unfortunately, I am not feeling well: Sajnos nem vagyok jól
I am feeling very sick: Nagyon rosszul vagyok
He is not feeling well: Nincs jól

Tell me about Duolingo and crowns.

Duolingo used to just have lessons

So if you wanted to learn Household Items
Lesson 1: Bathroom things
Lesson 2: Living room and dining room
Lesson 3: Outdoor things
Lesson 4: Kitchen utensils
Lesson 5: Various rooms etc.

Lesson 1 - 5 were all the same difficulty

But now the lessons are "crowns"
Each crown is of increasing difficulty

crown 1: word for "room", living room, bathroom, attic, etc
crown 2: word for "room" + kitchen utensils
crown 2: rooms + utensils in sentences
crown 3: rooms + utensils + new crown about bathroom items

etc. Now a topic consists of like, 12 crowns instead of 5 lessons

>haven't studied in a month

Attached: 1510098959120.jpg (960x925, 110K)

post your lingQ progress. Been studying german on my own for 1 year now. Chinese for about 2 years (mostly college)

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 9.48.43 PM.png (890x258, 60K)

Wow you learned 5000 German words?

Books for learning Italian?