S-P-A-C-E D-A-Y

C днём кocмoнaвтики!

Attached: j6Qz6VgeH2Q[1].jpg (830x830, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2stq3tmXpgE
youtube.com/watch?v=RKs6ikmrLgg
youtube.com/firstorbit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Orbit
twitter.com/i/moments/984013324445724672
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Véronique_(rocket)
capcomespace.net/dossiers/espace_europeen/ariane/espace_francais/veronique_vesta.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wtf is space day

I'll drink to that

Attached: 1523470334623.jpg (278x182, 9K)

Этo Юpи Гaгapин, дa?

Yes, that's him. youtube.com/watch?v=2stq3tmXpgE

happy space day Youri!

Beautiful
And here I am wasting my life on pubg and cs go when I KNOW I could do more

>pubg and cs
But why?

Lack of willpower I guess
Like a mouse trapped in a wheel with a piece of cheese suspended, or more like a piece of shit with cheese smell

>RUSSIA CAN INTO S-P-A-C-E

Attached: Chug.jpg (604x453, 68K)

I mean they are not even good games to waste your life on.

Did he ded?
I heard Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became alcoholics.

It's not... I mean it is rocket science.

Yes. He was a test pilot and his plane crashed.

What's the Russian for "Union" ? I just know it starts with the sound "S"

Soyuz (Coюз)

Oh really? Nice. It's like the rockets/launchers used in Kuru, Guyana by the european space program.

> Gagarin was also reportedly caught by his wife in a room with another woman, a nurse named Anna who had aided him after a boating incident earlier in the day, at a Black Sea resort in September 1961. He attempted to escape by leaving through a window and jumping off her second floor balcony, hitting his face on a kerbstone and leaving a permanent scar above his left eyebrow. (wikiped)
Ah, celebrity...

Yes, because those are Russian rockets.

Yep. Definitely sounds Russian. I just didn't know what it meant.

He was a simple man who wasn't ready for all this fame.

Well, Armstrong and Aldrin have also had difficult lives...

>The bodies of Gagarin and Seryogin were cremated and the ashes were buried in the walls of the Kremlin on Red Square.

>walls of the Kremlin

Attached: 1493234655888.jpg (800x1067, 190K)

Anyone have that webm of three Russian astronauts talking about life? /wsg/ somehow couldn't help me.

Attached: Russian Mars missions.png (596x509, 30K)

Attached: 1492974940952.jpg (800x600, 67K)

2011 film about the mission youtube.com/watch?v=RKs6ikmrLgg

youtube.com/firstorbit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Orbit

Attached: 1518972270392.jpg (421x236, 19K)

3 days ago was also the 50 years anniversary of the start of the European space program in Kourou, french guyana, 1968.
twitter.com/i/moments/984013324445724672

Attached: 1499256314475.jpg (778x1200, 117K)

2:23

This commonly-used film clip is often mistaken for Gagarin's launch, but is actually the failed test flight on July 28, 1960 which killed two dogs.

Just don't be a Stiffy Stephenson, ok?

The name of the first european rocket was Véronique.

Cute. Was it named after some particular Véronique?

Well I had to look it up. VERnon électrONIQUE. Vernon is a town in Normandy.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Véronique_(rocket)

I'm not sure if it was a french programme or already a european program.

Oh.I thought it was named after a girl.

There was a failed Mercury test flight one day later, strangely enough, although nothing died there.

Non, it's less poetic...
Fuck, the fr.wikipedia page was nice, I saw a .english link so I'd thought I'd post this one, without looking.
Fuck Anglos... The first line of the en.wikipedia article says "French rocket based on german V2 technology" (bogus source)

Véronique was actually made in the 50's, fr.wikipedia claims France was the 3d country with such rocket technology. It was lauchned from the Sahara desert, when Algeria was still french.

The wikipedia article about the Russian space program is funny. They say the Russians always had a mission ready to lauch in case the Americans were successful, but by that time, it was only failure after failure.
Scientists on both sides were working in such a rush.

Mercury vehicles had the launch escape tower to pull the capsule to safety in the event of a booster malfunction. Vostok used an ejector seat as a launch escape system, and at altitudes too high for ejection, the capsule could just be ejected and parachute to the ground. However, the problem of a booster malfunction in the first 20 seconds of flight or on the pad was never adequately solved. Ejecting on the pad wouldn't give the parachutes in the cosmonaut's seat enough time to deploy, and the ejection mechanism also couldn't get the cosmonaut far enough away from an exploding booster.

They actually put netting around the pad area at LC-1 to catch the cosmonaut in should he eject, but it was of doubtful value. Most likely, a launch malfunction in the opening seconds of liftoff was not survivable and Sergei Korolev felt absolutely terrible about this. He was in a state of hysterical panic during Gagarin's launch, given as well that the R-7 vehicle was not all that reliable at this early phase. As if to illustrate this point, there was a failed R-7 ICBM test from the neighboring LC-31 the day after Gagarin's flight.

>(bogus source)
Well, there was another source from "astronautix.com". Then I googled it in french and they seem to have a point.

>(in french) capcomespace.net/dossiers/espace_europeen/ariane/espace_francais/veronique_vesta.htm

I had never heard about Véronique. Maybe it's precisely because of the early collaboration with the german engineers.

But we first to reach the Venus