What was your ancestor's crime, fellow Australians?

What was your ancestor's crime, fellow Australians?

Attached: 1523422594601.png (185x233, 7K)

sodomy

Did they British government just sorta round up petty thiefs and such and send them there as a form of forced colonization or were they exclusively sent there as prisoners? I would imagine serious dangerous criminals were hanged

Attached: 1523435283165.png (1000x1413, 700K)

what is this comic supposed to prove?

yeah petty criminals were there and freed after a certain time. I mean America got as many convicts theres a reason Australia was colonised just after the American revolution.

lol

the eternal aussie

bong is the real criminal

Well they used to just send them to the Americas until someone got upset about taxes and turned into terrorists

racism

Yeah it seems as if we were not proud of this fact and employed some damage control

>Through the 19th century, most historians simply ignored the institution, and those who did recognize it usually claimed that nearly all of the people who were transported were political prisoners.

In USA it was mainly tax dodgers.

Its something the Americans don't talk about much, but they got a lot of convicts sent there as 'indentured servants', which got sort of sold off to various gentlefolks as farm workers, servants and labourers. Wouldn't quite say political prisoners, it was more a type of quasi-slavery to get warm bodies in the colonies capable of working and developing them

My Great-Grandpa was a bootlegger for Al Capone. He claimed he never killed anyone, but there are some damning evidence against him. He passed away in ‘68

lmao

Killed a british soldier in Palestine for "touching" his fiance (thanks to euphemisms and cultural norms touching could mean anything from rape to literally touching uncovered skin).

muh freedoms

>Mary was born in 1777 in London. She spent her days sweeping the streets as a way of begging for money for her poor family. In 1788, at the age of 11, Mary with another young girl stole clothes. This included one cotton frock, one linen tippet and one linen cap. The girls then sold both the frock and cap.

>In the same year, another child reported Mary to an Officer of the Law who then found the tippet in her room. Mary was arrested and placed in prison where she was found guilty and sentenced to death. Luckily for Mary, her sentence had been changed to transportation to Australia for an 11-month voyage across the ocean, arriving June 1790 on the Second Fleet. Soon after, Mary was sent to Norfolk Island where she later had two children.

>Once returning to Sydney, Mary married Jonathon Brooker in 1809. They lived near Hawkesbury River and it was here that Mary raised her family of 21 children. Mary received her Certificate of Freedom September 1st 1812.

>At the time of her death, Mary had over 300 descendants. Today, she is considered one of the founding mothers of the early settlers to Australia. Her descendants number in the tens of thousands, including Kevin Rudd, the former Prime Minister of Australia.

Attached: Mary Wade.jpg (224x310, 24K)

Crikey

>Mary raised her family of 21 children

pretty good

wow

21 kids...

Fanny like a wizard's sleeve

btw other criminals sentenced to death wouldn't have come to Australia, this was a special case.
>On 11 March 1789, King George III was proclaimed cured of an unnamed madness; it is assumed that he suffered from porphyria, a degenerative mental disease. Five days later, in the spirit of celebration, all the women on death row, including Mary Wade, had their sentences commuted to penal transportation to Australia.
So anyone who did anything that warranted death weren't sent, meaning the convicts were only political prisoners and very petty criminals.

But stealing clothes is petty theft?

No wonder the colonies revolted

I'm not sure how it worked at the time. Reading the trial transcript now. All they did was walk up to her on the street and take 3 clothing items (without conflict or violence, the girl (being robbed) didn't realise they were going to steal them till they ran off). Although I think the girl was of a decently higher class. As she's referred to as a gentlewoman and actually had clothing pieces worth something. Still, plenty of convicts were thieves, often by coercion, so I don't know.

I guess the jury just didn't like them or wanted to set an example.

seems plausible

what do you mean by coercion?

America is free :DDDD

I meant mugging, forcing someone to give you something with violence or something else. Poorly worded, sorry.

wonder how many of her descendants are alive

>Officer of the Law who then found the tippet in her room. Mary was arrested and placed in prison where she was found guilty and sentenced to death.
>sentenced to death for stealing clothes
Ah yes, the apex of civilization, Great Britain.

not getting caught, and thus never being sent to Australia and condemning me to being a pom forever.

DA BES

Attached: dying of laughter.jpg (500x391, 71K)

I've always wondered how australians take pride in their criminal, anti-establishment ancestry but americans vehemently deny it and then scream about freedoms

My nan did some research on my ancestry and found out someone in my family got sent away to Oz for nicking some bread

>Australia and New Zealand were designated as future Japanese territories, although Hitler lamented his belief that the white race would disappear from those regions.[56] He nevertheless made it clear to his officials that "the descendants of the convicts in Australia" were not Germany's concern and that their lands would be colonized by Japanese settlers in the immediate future, an opinion also shared by Joseph Goebbels, who expressed his conviction in his diary that the Japanese had always desired "the fifth continent" for emigration purposes.[57]

WTF Hitler

Attached: 1523422848109.jpg (300x450, 70K)

And religious fanatics

my ancestors crime was being too good to go to paradise

what could have been

>sentenced to death
>for stealing clothes

lmao wtf

>be British
>steal clothes
>die

based