/lang/ - language learning

Language learners here

Old thread:

Attached: germanaboos.jpg (1164x750, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

duolingo.com/comment/22592258/Learning-Irish-to-cope-with-memory-loss—Shannon-O’Neill’s-Story
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How to improve American-German relations

Distinguished panelists
> Necla Benzer
> Jacob Schrot
> Lillian Seffer
> David Warmbold
share their backgrounds and experiences.

Attached: 28828116_574867712872917_846777223853465495_o.jpg (2957x1418, 211K)

> Necla Benzer
"You have to be part of the system, if you want to help fix things" - Necla Benzer about her work with the Federal Foreign Office

> Jacob Schrot
"Just explaining the cultural differences between the US and Germany is something we should embrace when we discuss #TransatlanticRelations" - Jacob Schrot on continuing the conversation with new stakeholders

Attached: DamUgU_W4AEgk-i.jpg large.jpg (1024x768, 83K)

> David Warmbold
"We need to work to understand how one another sees everyday life" - David Warmbold
"We see the whole global colonial structure as the root of problems we're facing today" - David Warmbold answering to the connection between his work in Germany and the #BLM movement in the US.

> Lilian Seffer
It’s important to recognize movements like Black Lives Matter also as a part of transatlantic relations, says Lilian Seffer
"If we could acknowledge that international cooperation between social justice movements, like #BLM, is part of #TransatlanticRelations, then we'll have added diversity to the conversation" - Lilian Seffer on minority groups being included in the discussion
"Representation matters" - Lilian Seffer, why she's motivated to do her work as an Anti-Discrimination Officer.

Attached: Damb_rMXcAAXV6T.jpg large.jpg (1280x960, 117K)

> Eric Swenson
"There are misconceptions on both sides. For example, people think farmers in Central Illinois are uneducated but they are actually running international businesses." - Eric Swenson

Attached: DamGQRDWkAETRgX.jpg large.jpg (1536x2048, 475K)

Other fun events in Berlin

> Refugio Berlin
Der Arbeitsplatz 2.0 im Refugio Café. Es warten WLAn, lecker Barista Kaffee und natürlich ein herzliches Willkommen

Attached: 12376649_1080635908648976_3608441638606361827_n.png (562x562, 493K)

Why is there not a learning general for German? So many people here it seems want to learn it.

What do you guys think are some overlooked languages that people should learn?

As maribro was saying, ideally there should be no /lang/ and the language-specific generals should cover it, but, you generally just get trolled when trying to learn a language on Jow Forums outside of this thread. For sure you do not want to split this thread up anymore, because we have a hard time keeping it alive as is.

Is it better to watch shows in the target language with subtitles also in the target language?

śpiewa

I've also wondered this. People have told me to do this but how does that actually help with learning? If I didn't need subtitles to understand what's happening I wouldn't need to watch shows to learn the language in the first place because I'd already know what they're saying.

I think that only applies if you're intermediate or advanced. If you're a beginner and don't know what anyone is saying, it might not be useful at all

because it helps you identify words better. People do not often say whole words or even say them super fast, so subtitles help you identify cases where this happens so when you start listening to people or even listen to something else, you can now easily identify the word in speech (basically teaching your brain how to identify words even when shit is 'missing'). When you get more advanced, you will not need subtitles nearly as much because you know what to expect.

So it really wouldn’t apply to someone who is an absolute beginner? I started French a couple of days ago and one of the things I’ve done is watched kids shows on Netflix in French, mainly to help give me an ear for the language.

I suck at vocab because of alcoholism ruining my memory. How to improve? I took Korean for 3 years and only remember random things and can't even form a basic sentence.

If you understand why you are doing it and you are receiving noticable gains as a result, then you are not a beginner.

I would recommend to listen to things anyway so you would gain a general understanding as you mentioned. Always do your homework and assign little tasks for yourself so you stay motivated. When you feel more confident, dip into some harder material.

Find a topic and learn words around it (interests, general small talk shit like going shopping, weather, etc) or, link words to something, I feel that has helped me. I would go for personal interests as you should remember those as they are linked closely to you.

bump

nenoriu sios gijos numirti

What shows have you been watching?

how difficult is irish to learn? i only know english and french

A literal mentally handicapped muh heritage 5th generation Irish-American learned Gaelic with Duolingo

duolingo.com/comment/22592258/Learning-Irish-to-cope-with-memory-loss—Shannon-O’Neill’s-Story

Is it hard to learn multiple languages at a time? I've been studying japanese for two years and take classes every saturday, but after my grandpa's passing two months ago I decided to take up german classes as well in his honors, which I'll be starting next friday. Aside from that, my college demands us to learn french (monday) and eventually portuguese too. Will I get confused, or will the learning progress be slower? Should I drop any or just continue as normal?