Why do Americans dislike this tasty and healthy fruit?

Why do Americans dislike this tasty and healthy fruit?

Attached: mustsõstar.jpg (918x650, 138K)

Absolutely love those. Apex berries. The red ones are also god tier.

Homemade blackcurrant jam in a pie or on pancakes is heaven,

the red ones are better
fight me

Red ones are nice but have a weaker taste.

They are both great. My grandparents had bushes with both of them and I loved going out to their garden and eat both red and black kinds.

Have you tried white currants? I imagine they are bland because few people grow them?

Attached: punane sõstar.jpg (880x880, 226K)

Not to my knowledge. I've tasted ones that were not fully matured (almost greenish), maybe they were on their way to be white.

I don't think they're anywhere near as common as red and black.

They taste a lot like redcurrants, but with a milder taste and not as sour. The berries are also smaller.

The bush in our yard is scrawny compared to the redcurrant bush. From the redcurrant bush I picked 8kg of berries last year, but only 1kg from the whitecurrant bush. It might be a thing with whitecurrants, or just my bush, I don't know.

>From the redcurrant bush I picked 8kg of berries last year, but only 1kg from the whitecurrant bush.
What do you do with the berries? Do you freeze them?

Americans don't have blueberries or lingonberries

Blew my mind when I found out. Here they're about as common as grass

we have blueberries

Yeah, I got a bunch in my freezer. I make jelly from them and put it on sterile jars, and also "fruit" squash like your pic .
I'm saving the whitecurrant to combine with this years harvest and see how a whitecurrant jelly works out.

>Americans don't have blueberries
What we call blueberries they call bilberries. They have a berry they call blueberries. They have a blue skin, but are greenish-white on the inside.

>Bilberries – which are native to Europe – are different from North American blueberries, although the species are closely related and belong to the same genus, Vaccinium.
Didn't know that. Do they taste different?

Had some South Korean TV show in an Estonian forest. They were amazed that people actually pick berries and mushrooms from the forest, it seemed completely puzzled because they thought that it´s dirty to eat from the forest. Also is it true that Westerners don´t pick mushrooms?

It's been a while since I've had American blueberries, so it's hard to compare. As I remember them your blueberries have a blander taste to them. Which is why it's so long since I've had them. They blueberry flavour is a lot more intense in bilberries.

That looks like jaboticaba. pic related

Attached: a.jpg (250x378, 56K)

No, we pick mushrooms. Though it's not nearly as popular as picking berries. Each mushroom season there are warnings about eating the poisonous ones. There are some places where you can bring mushrooms in to have more experienced people sort through them.

To answer your question OP. It used to be the case that the blackcurrant plant would help spread a disease that killed off entire forests, so to stop the spread of the disease the plant was banned. The ban has since been lifted, but they had lost all tradition for cultivating the plant by then.

Never seen fruit grow like that on the tree trunk. What do they taste like and can you make things from the fruit?

Nordic blueberries >>> yours (especially the farmed variety)

But American strawberries are better so it is a fair trade

>As I remember them your blueberries have a blander taste to them
Did you eat wild ones or ones bought in a store? Most produce from a store is going to be pretty bland and tasteless here.

Are they expensive? Blueberries here are way overpriced and spoil quickly

>It has a thick, purple, astringent skin that encases a sweet, white or rosy pink gelatinous flesh.

>they can be eaten raw or be used to make jellies, juice or wine.

>paying

Forest floor is literally covered by 30% blueberries, 30% lingonberries and 40% moss

Attached: 170608.jpg (600x450, 215K)

The flavour of strawberries depend on how long they were let to ripen before being picked. If they're white on the inside they're basically not ripe.

Store bought. We don't get wild American blueberries here in Norway. My mom boght some plants last year, but they didn't seem to thrive so I doubt we'll many of them.

Yes. Sadly I couldn't find a price. But it's like 4 USD for the 100g packages they come in.

What do most farmers plant in Norway? I imagine the soil is not very easy to farm.
Do you have wild strawberries in Sweden?
At least here blueberries in stores are very expensive, but some berry pickers sell in bulk more cheaply.

Attached: metsmaasikas.jpg (1440x900, 127K)

We like them, but they're illegal to import because they are a disease vector that affects our pine trees.

>Do you have wild strawberries in Sweden?

Estonia is basically Scania (our southernmost province), except even smaller. Of course we have everything that grows in Estonia

I think the most common berry to farm are strawberries. There is a place in western Norway called Valldal. The strawberries from there are renowned for their good taste. Most grocery stores in my area let you order them by the crate, and people do.
The imported strawberries from the EU are lumps of water in comparison.

I cultivate "wild" strawberries in a plant pot out on my deck. Mostly for the novelty of it.

>We like them, but they're illegal to import because they are a disease vector that affects our pine trees.

Disease resistant strains have been grown in Europe since the 1970s.

Our laws haven't caught up. Unfortunately. We can import the juice and jam, but not the plants.

We can get the red currant plants here. Grew up with those and goose berries in my yard.

Are there any bogs or marshes left in Scania?
>The imported strawberries from the EU are lumps of water in comparison.
Imported fruit is always worse. We get a lot of tomatoes, apples, and strawberries from countries like Spain and Poland. They are really bland because they haven´t matured. I have a greenhouse where my family grows tomatoes and cucumbers and the difference is huge.

>goose berries
I have these, too, in my yard. I picked 4kg from my one bush last year. I also have an aronia hedge, from which I picked 4kg as well.

Attached: Aronia_melanocarpa_cv_Rubina_P1020524.jpg (600x800, 401K)

What do you make out of aronia berries? I don´t really like eating them, but we add them to different juices.
Can you make jam with red currants?

Comercially they're added to juices. When they do so they use the latin name, aronia. The Norwegian name, svartsurbær, means black sour-berries, which doesn't sound as appealing. I make jelly from them.

You can make jam from redcurrants, but they have a lot of seeds relative to pulp(?), so jellies are more common.

The flavor isn't the same though.

There is not enough sugar in fruit for the American corn syrup diet.

What does Vimto taste like?

Attached: vimto.jpg (640x481, 624K)

Based. I remember eating them with powdered sugar after gathering them from the bushes my grandparents had on their farm.