Brits spell the word 'tire' with a Y

>Brits spell the word 'tire' with a Y

And you wonder why American English is winning.

Attached: Pepe.jpg (490x400, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nutMYpTqLe4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>American English is winning.
We ayre?

It makes sense. "Tire" in real English means to grow tired.

>still uses æ and þ

Attached: 1524039882829.png (680x609, 140K)

I thought Swedes didn’t have the “th” sound and ergo no need for thorn or eth. Are you thinking of Iceland? Or am I wrong?

Do non-anglos choose one spelling over the other?
I usually choose it indiscriminately and mix both. For example, I prefer to use color instead of colour and and tarmac instead of asphalt (when referring to the pavement of streets).

tarmac and asphalt aren’t regional afaik, I hear both all the of time.
I only see American spelling here except for: gray (I see grey a lot) and “re” vs “er” (it’s not that uncommon to see theatre or centre here in the states, believe it or not).
So yeah, I guess for those examples you have a choice, but if someone @‘s me with “aeroplane”or “-ise”, I may have to sock them in their jaw.

"Tyre" is better, though. It does a better job at conveying the pronunciation, as well - kids couldn't possibly fuck something up when they read it for the first time.

Attached: 1523021441788.jpg (1024x1280, 131K)

As far as I could tell, 'tarmac' in the American english is mostly used in the context of that airport area. See pic.

Attached: Untitled.png (498x322, 11K)

Yes that’s correct
I now realize you meant exclusively in the context of roads. We call that asphalt usually, yes.

'Grey' and 'cancelled' are the only two British spellings I see frequently here.

It's weird because the other one vs. two L words are usually spelled the American English way, but for some reason, 'canceled' a lot of times isn't.

Attached: Canceled.jpg (1085x75, 37K)

I used to mix AmE and BrE, but I nowadays make a conscious effort to use BrE, at least most of the time.
British idioms strike me as odd most of the time, so I opt out for American ones, though.

Attached: 1522858128390.jpg (640x619, 196K)

Shit, meant for . Didn't notice until now.

youtube.com/watch?v=nutMYpTqLe4
*breathes in*

Who gives a shit? Our spelling isn't phonetic anyway, if you're ESL then it's one less word to have to know by context.

none of the englishes are winning. the winners are the brit mummy fund whorekids and they are random as fuck.

What the fuck

Attached: 50285235333.gif (330x247, 704K)

>too stupid to remember to spell tire with a y

alri mongo

i genuinely don't know whether to use grey or gray. i feel like i use grey but i never even really notice

what

How do you guys say gasmask

I say gas and mask like “ass”

i never realized it but i say it the same way, as does pretty much everyone i know now that i think about it

Brits say it differently. Their gas and mask may be different sounds.

Gaw-ss M(ass)k is what I’ve heard. Which sounds odd but British people say it’s normal

We have thousands of accents so it can be vastly different from area to area.

Gass Maarsk.
t.West London

I've never understood why people from England and some people from the Northeast US insert these unnecessary r's into words

I don't really know why us Southerners do but northerners use the "ah" sound so.

They always spell jail with g and o